DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

What I lose from buying a resale..?

I heard if I buy resale I can't use my points towards a cruise or Adventures By Disney(which is fine for our family) but can I still use it for Aulani or Vero Beach?

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
jillgunter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBliss7 View Post
I heard if I buy resale I can't use my points towards a cruise or Adventures By Disney(which is fine for our family) but can I still use it for Aulani or Vero Beach?
Yes you can use it at any DCV property

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
Yes, and what you mention as things you "lose" with a resale are SO expensive, pointwise, that you might never even be able to use points for them, anyway. Especially ABD. VERY expensive.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
I heard if I buy resale I can't use my points towards a cruise or Adventures By Disney(which is fine for our family)...
yeah, before you consider this a limitation, definitely take a look at the per-person point charts for the costs for ABD and cruises.

if you buy resale, you still have the option of trading out of the DVC system through RCI for other timeshares. but the best value is at the DVC resorts, including HHI, hawaii, and vero beach.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Here is the News item as it was posted to the member website:

Quote:
New Policy Announced for Re-sale Purchases

Disney Vacation Club® has announced a new policy that limits access to certain Member Getaways exchanges for Ownership Interests purchased on the secondary market (also known as the re-sale market).

Under the new policy, Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI® exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

The affected collections are special Member benefits programs offered by Disney Vacation Development, Inc., and are not part of Members' Ownership Interests. That said, Members who purchased on the secondary market prior to March 21, 2011, may use those Vacation Points for all Member Getaways.

Note that the policy doesn't impact banking, borrowing or transferring Vacation Points. All Members will continue to have the ability make such transactions, regardless of where they purchased their Ownership Interests. Complete rules about these transactions are available in the Home Resort Rules and Regulations section of this website.
The Disney Collection refers to any Disney Resort around the world and any Disney cash resort at WDW and DLR.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!

Can you use resale points to book at the grand Californian?
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itutorfortravel View Post
Can you use resale points to book at the grand Californian?
Yes
ptlohmysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
crisi
DIS Veteran

HOWEVER, you should know that all this is subject to availability.

Last month we had a very disappointed member who had promised his daughter (or son?) an Aulani trip for their honeymoon - at seven months, there wasn't anything available that met his requirements. Now, he wanted June, with is apparently prime time for Hawaii. Grand Californian is notoriously difficult to book if you don't own there. BLT Standard is almost never available to those that don't own there, BWV Standard a little more often. Right now Grand Floridian is very difficult to get at seven months - its a new resort, it might get easier - or it might stay really hard. Hilton Head and Vero Beach can be difficult to book if you don't own there in the Summer or over Spring Break.

The clause "subject to availability" is kind of a big catch. You may discover you have incredibly good luck with "subject to availability" or you may be very disappointed. Its a matter of what you are looking for, when you are looking for it, and luck.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: