Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Mommy_Jen
Mouseketeer

Beach Club or Yacht Club.. help me decide

Hello,

We are a family of 5 (kids are 10,8, and 6) going to Disney in April and only staying 2 nights. In the past we have stayed at WL and AKL. We loved both, especially AKL. Though now that our youngest is over the age of 3 in order to stay at WL or AKL it's pretty pricey. Now I'm thinking of trying out BC or YC. Is there one that you'd prefer over the other? Also we have stayed on club level at AKL and loved it. Would the CL at either BC or YC be worth it? Because we are only staying 2 nights to add club level at either BC or YC it's only about $200 more total. We will not be on a dining plan and I don't think we will be doing any dining reservations anywhere. I'm just trying to figure out where to stay. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mommy_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Half of BC rooms don't have balconies so if a balcony is important, stay YC. You can request balcony for BC but I've had 2 rooms without so no longer stay here.

Neither clubs are overly impressive at these resorts. Food offerings are exactly the same. BC lounge is smaller so I prefer YC CL. If you are using for breakfast it's probably worth it since you have 3 kids.

As far as resorts both are nice. BC has the marketplace which I find convenient. Many complain about the crowded noisy lobby because of Cape May but it's never bothered me. BC is a few minutes closer to Epcot but YC is a few minutes closer to the boat dock. YC is first stops for park buses. DTD buses are horrid as all Epcot resorts share.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

we did bc cl last april and just were not impressed. I like the bc but we had a room quite a distance from the lounge. no problem with that, but it gave us a long hallway, a room with sitting area and then some more hallway to walk to our room. I say this because the area was very worn and we saw a good bit of it with that walk. I've heard people say that the rooms there look rough and are in need of being redone. I don't disagree that they are in need of an upgrade (which they are apparently going to be getting) but our room was fine. It was the public areas and mostly the cl public areas that seemed the most worn to me.

the offerings in the lounge were disappointing to us and the area very small. this was a one night stay before a cruise so we didn't utilize any of the ipo services (i don't think) but the staff was very friendly and helpful at the resort.

If you want to be in the epcot area I would give bwi cl a try. If you have decided on bc or yc I'd give yc a try. I also would do cl even if you stay at bc. While compared to other cl IMO it doesn't impress but we did enjoy our stay overall. I know that is kind of contradictory but we like having the lounge to hang out in. our son always seems to find some kids to eat with at the little kids table and watch tv, chat and play. Its nice having the club level staff at your disposal. they came down to our room to help us with the dvd player for example, being able to pick from a selection of disney movies and watch in bed is something my son really likes and was a good way to have a quiet evening before our cruise. We had a water view with a nice full balcony and a nice view.

so while we prefer poly or gf cls if I was going to stay at the bc I'd go ahead and do cl especially with a cost difference of $200.00.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpvJune 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
Half of BC rooms don't have balconies so if a balcony is important, stay YC. You can request balcony for BC but I've had 2 rooms without so no longer stay here.

Neither clubs are overly impressive at these resorts. Food offerings are exactly the same. BC lounge is smaller so I prefer YC CL. If you are using for breakfast it's probably worth it since you have 3 kids.

As far as resorts both are nice. BC has the marketplace which I find convenient. Many complain about the crowded noisy lobby because of Cape May but it's never bothered me. BC is a few minutes closer to Epcot but YC is a few minutes closer to the boat dock. YC is first stops for park buses. DTD buses are horrid as all Epcot resorts share.
this too. we had a nice balcony but I don't mean to give the impression that its something to expect there. this poster is correct, if you really want a balcony (something we like to have) you very well may not get one at BC.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpvJune 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy_Jen View Post
Hello,

We are a family of 5 (kids are 10,8, and 6) going to Disney in April and only staying 2 nights. In the past we have stayed at WL and AKL. We loved both, especially AKL. Though now that our youngest is over the age of 3 in order to stay at WL or AKL it's pretty pricey. Now I'm thinking of trying out BC or YC. Is there one that you'd prefer over the other? Also we have stayed on club level at AKL and loved it. Would the CL at either BC or YC be worth it? Because we are only staying 2 nights to add club level at either BC or YC it's only about $200 more total. We will not be on a dining plan and I don't think we will be doing any dining reservations anywhere. I'm just trying to figure out where to stay. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
We've only stayed at the BC, but have visited the YC many times over the years. They are basically the same resort (to me) with a few minor differences. The YC has a nautical theme vs a beach theme at the BC and the YC seems a little quieter as the BC has Cape May right inside the lobby (which makes the lobby a little more hectic, IMO). As the pp said, all YC rooms have balconies, whereas only about half of the rooms at the BC have them. Both resorts are great as they share SAB, but if a balcony is a priority, I'd go with the YC. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
spodie
Mouseketeer

I preferred the YC better because it was quieter and much less hectic than BC. I also like that you're pretty much guaranteed a balcony at YC. Where I was lucky enough to have a balcony at BC when we went, I would have been VERY disappointed if I was told I had a balcony room and gotten one of those "half balconies" where you can't even fit a chair out there.

CL is okay, nothing special. However, if you're thinking about just kind of eating off of what they put out, the convenience of it is probably worth the extra money.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
PolyLover
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the YC once on a "split stay"- garden view (not club level). We liked the resort except for the lack of food..........its a very long walk to the quick service at BC (its on the far end of BC over by Epcot). YC and BC share the quick service so you have to go over to BC to get food. In the mornings they had a few breakfast offerings in the YC lobby.

Storm along Bay was fun but not as amazing as most people say. So if you stay at YC or BC, I'd suggest YC Club (for the food convieance) or just BC standard. Walking to Epcot is a plus and the Boardwalk is a fun thing to do at night. I'm glad we've tried the YC but not sure if we'd stay there again.
2002 Poly, 2004 CBR/Poly, 2005 Poly, 2006 Poly,2007 Poly , 2008 Poly, 2009 Disney Wonder/Poly, 2010 Poly/WL, 2011 Disney Dream, AKL, HGVC, 2012 Poly/YC, 2012 CSR
Jan 3 -7 2013 POLYNESIAN,Spring Break/Easter 2013: CSR, HGVC, AKL Aug 2013 AKL, Oct 2013 Poly Club, March 2014 Poly

PolyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
catho72
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at BC on our last two trips and will be staying there again in June. Our kids don't want to stay anywhere else. We loved staying CL last year...so much so we are doing it again this year! The breakfast offering was plenty for our family....cereal, oatmeal, fruit, hard boiled eggs, pastries, bagels, etc. Plus we enjoyed the chips, cookies and pop (and beer) in the afternoon. Our room was not worn down but the carpets in the hallway showed their age. This did not affect my opinion of the resort at all.

Stormalong Bay is probably my kids favorite part of the resort! We hang there from opening until mid-afternoon then head to the parks. If its still open when we get back from the parks we'll head down then, too!

We prefer the colors and fun vibe of BC over the darker colors and quieter feel of YC, but that's personal preference. Like the PP's have stated, if you want a balcony then stay YC. For us, it's not a requirement....but again, personal preference.

When I booked my February stay, BC was not available so I'm staying at YC. I look forward to it...but I still wish I would be at BC.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay

catho72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: