Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

CR Garden Wing Compared to other Deluxe Resorts

Many of you have convinced me to consider the CR being the Poly will have construction, and we've been priced out of GF It is important to us to be near MK. We tried WL last year and didn't love it.

I wouldn't consider BLT because unlike many, I don't want to be I'm the middle of all the action. We have two little ones and peace and quiet is important to us.

I'm not familiar with the garden wing, but the proximity to Mk is ideal and the rooms look spacious and updated. PLEASE tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about the garden wing. I don't like surprises- especially when I'm paying deluxe prices!
aprilbabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbabes View Post
Many of you have convinced me to consider the CR being the Poly will have construction, and we've been priced out of GF It is important to us to be near MK. We tried WL last year and didn't love it.

I wouldn't consider BLT because unlike many, I don't want to be I'm the middle of all the action. We have two little ones and peace and quiet is important to us.

I'm not familiar with the garden wing, but the proximity to Mk is ideal and the rooms look spacious and updated. PLEASE tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about the garden wing. I don't like surprises- especially when I'm paying deluxe prices!
If you were considering Poly I don't think you're priced out of GF. There's only a $17 difference between a Poly TPV room and a GF TPV room.

As others have said, the good part about CR garden wing is the price. It's much cheaper than staying in the tower. The garden wing is probably much quieter than the tower with all of its restaurants, guests and the monorail going through. However you have to walk over to the tower for the amenities. That's a negative to me.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereForMinnie View Post
If you were considering Poly I don't think you're priced out of GF. There's only a $17 difference between a Poly TPV room and a GF TPV room.

As others have said, the good part about CR garden wing is the price. It's much cheaper than staying in the tower. The garden wing is probably much quieter than the tower with all of its restaurants, guests and the monorail going through. However you have to walk over to the tower for the amenities. That's a negative to me.
I guess we would've been priced out of Poly too although they do have a greater discount.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
DemonLlama
Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner
I Miss WDW!
Needs to catch up to Dan Murphy's post count
The Lizard Queen
Magnificent Creativear

We stayed in the Garden Wing last April, in an end room, which had its own private patio, and we were just staying on at the cheap conference rate. The room was huge and spacious, the grounds very quiet. This is a link to the photos I took of our room and the grounds:

Contemporary Garden Wing Photos
DemonLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
zark72
Earning My Ears

Quote:

We switched over to the CR after learning of the Poly construction, so join the club! Anyhow, we've stayed in the tower and the garden at CR and I think I may have liked our garden room better, *but* it was in a great location; ground floor in the north-south wing farthest from the tower, window facing east so we had a view of nothing but the lake and Discovery Island. I could sit on he patio and enjoy coffee and nature waking up each morning. We didn't think the extra footsteps to the tower were really a big deal. If you don't mind the walk, I highly recommend asking for this location. I'd tell you the room number, bit I don't typically remember those things.

We're heading back to the tower this March, but only because there were no garden rooms available during our schedule. Enjoy!
zark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonLlama View Post
We stayed in the Garden Wing last April, in an end room, which had its own private patio, and we were just staying on at the cheap conference rate. The room was huge and spacious, the grounds very quiet. This is a link to the photos I took of our room and the grounds:

Contemporary Garden Wing Photos
Wow! Amazing pics! Is that room a deluxe or standard???
So, I'm guessing you recommend the garden wing ?
Did it bother you to have to walk to the tower for food, etc?
Although, if I were staying at Poly or GF I'd have to walk to the main building as well.

How did you find the pool area? Clean? relaxing? Fun for little ones?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
TJA
DIS Veteran

Since you want peace and quiet, I do think the wing would be a great option for you (versus the tower). When we stayed in the wing, we did get a feeling of being "out of the action" or "away from it all" though we were just a short walk away from the action in the tower. And quite frankly, when our kids were young as in babies/toddlers, we couldn't even place a value on CR -- it was priceless to us to be able to walk back and forth to MK. We'd just let the kids fall asleep in the comfortable stroller/jogger and take our time walking back to CR at night. If Wishes started, DH and I would just turn around and watch the show while the kids slept.

As a side note, I got the same feeling about WL -- I honestly don't understand why I don't love it there (we've stayed there a few times with the most recent stay just a few months ago). It may have something to do with the room size being so small -- you will notice a huge difference when you see a CR room as they are very spacious especially compared to WL.

So the good things about CR wing:
> walkway to MK.
> large rooms/comfortable beds.
> having the tower right there for restaurants (Chef Mickeys!), shopping, arcade with prizes, monorail.
> you don't have to be at MK to watch Wishes -- you can watch Wishes from various areas right at CR.

Bad things:
> the sinks! We don't like the flat rectangle shapes because they just don't drain fast. However, it's definitely not a deal breaker -- the good outweighs the bad for us by a longshot.
> the lobby area gives us a somewhat "convention feel," but once you get onto the main level, you will feel total Disney.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Since you want peace and quiet, I do think the wing would be a great option for you (versus the tower). When we stayed in the wing, we did get a feeling of being "out of the action" or "away from it all" though we were just a short walk away from the action in the tower. And quite frankly, when our kids were young as in babies/toddlers, we couldn't even place a value on CR -- it was priceless to us to be able to walk back and forth to MK. We'd just let the kids fall asleep in the comfortable stroller/jogger and take our time walking back to CR at night. If Wishes started, DH and I would just turn around and watch the show while the kids slept.

As a side note, I got the same feeling about WL -- I honestly don't understand why I don't love it there (we've stayed there a few times with the most recent stay just a few months ago). It may have something to do with the room size being so small -- you will notice a huge difference when you see a CR room as they are very spacious especially compared to WL.

So the good things about CR wing:
> walkway to MK.
> large rooms/comfortable beds.
> having the tower right there for restaurants (Chef Mickeys!), shopping, arcade with prizes, monorail.
> you don't have to be at MK to watch Wishes -- you can watch Wishes from various areas right at CR.

Bad things:
> the sinks! We don't like the flat rectangle shapes because they just don't drain fast. However, it's definitely not a deal breaker -- the good outweighs the bad for us by a longshot.
> the lobby area gives us a somewhat "convention feel," but once you get onto the main level, you will feel total Disney.
Oh good- thought it's was just me with the WL. It gets excellent reviews and really is very lovely, but something was just missing for me.

Also, meant to ask if there was a beach and a splash pad area for kiddies like at the Poly and GF.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
paxsarah

Mouseketeer

I guess I've never considered BLT as being in the center of all the action, but then I haven't actually stayed there yet (will be in May). I'm kind of looking forward to being close to but not in the midst of the amenities of the main Contemporary tower, plus we love the additional peace and quiet of being able to have a little extra personal space when we're in our unit.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Although, if I were staying at Poly or GF I'd have to walk to the main building as well.
Bingo! Plus, the Tower rooms at CR cost as much as, and sometimes more than, the standard rooms at GF.
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
TJA
DIS Veteran

Yes there is a beach area and also a splash area for the kids. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the pool area. I guess when I looked at the CR initially I thought the entire resort area would feel somewhat "sterile" if that makes sense, but really it's the opposite once you get on the main level and also the pool area. I don't think you would regret staying there.

Yes, something was missing for us too at WL, not sure what, as you say it's very gorgeous and so cozy. The only thing I can think is I just didn't enjoy the room, though I adapted and didn't "hate" it, but it felt so small and hard to spread out and enjoy.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
kmc
not all who wander are lost....

Absolutely love ground floor rooms in the garden wing.

kmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

This is a tough one. We stayed in the garden wing in 2003 so probably not the most accurate review but we're also Poly people! The garden wing is a good value, the tower rooms are surprisingly expensive! To me it didn't really change my experience of CR but we were also in the garden wing where BLT is now. If you are sold on CR stay in the garden wing- I didn't think it changed my experience that much and the price difference is astronomical! If you wanted to stay in the tower maybe consider a split stay for affordability. An Epcot resort would be a nice change of pace and you could save your MK days for when you're at CR?

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Yes there is a beach area and also a splash area for the kids. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the pool area. I guess when I looked at the CR initially I thought the entire resort area would feel somewhat "sterile" if that makes sense, but really it's the opposite once you get on the main level and also the pool area. I don't think you would regret staying there.

Yes, something was missing for us too at WL, not sure what, as you say it's very gorgeous and so cozy. The only thing I can think is I just didn't enjoy the room, though I adapted and didn't "hate" it, but it felt so small and hard to spread out and enjoy.
YES! totally agree!

We were pleasantly surprised by the pool area as well! It is lovely looking over the lake from the pool which never seemed too busy and had lots of places to hang out and relax. Aerial shots of the area, that we looked at before going, just don't do it justice.

Love the WL, but can't say that I am a fan of the rooms either. Small and dark is how the rooms felt to me. Staying at the CR you can take a nice boat ride over to enjoy the WL dining or walk the grounds, but you still have a nice room to sleep and spread out in.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Kari0180
Earning My Ears

We stayed in the garden wing for our honeymoon and loved it! It was so quiet compared to the tower, we were a short walk to the pool and the main building and we loved that we could walk to MK in about 10 minutes, but the best part? Every night we grabbed a drink and watched the water pageant from our room, it was wonderful, would stay there a million times over!
Kari0180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: