Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
xoangelxo
Earning My Ears

AoA Safe?

A girlfriend and I are going alone to WDW... Is AoA (and the rest of the parks/ downtown Disney) pretty safe?
xoangelxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
stinkpickle
Mouseketeer

Safe from what? Definitely not safe from kids...those little buggers are everywhere and they'll get ya.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
rf53
Every year, twice a year, since 1972.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoangelxo View Post
A girlfriend and I are going alone to WDW... Is AoA (and the rest of the parks/ downtown Disney) pretty safe?
I am sure that you can find crime statistical reports that show offenses committed against Disney World resort guests. Nevertheless, from my perspective I can tell you that my family has been visiting Disney World since the year it opened, and I have never felt unsafe on Disney property. Like with any other hotel and amusement park you have to be aware of your surroundings. Nevertheless, Disney does a pretty good job in keeping their guests safe from petty criminals and bad elements on their property.
Stayed at: AKL, WL, Saratoga Springs Villas, Contemporary, Old Key West Villas, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Polynesian, POR, POFQ, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Pop Century, All-Star Sports, All-Star Music, All-Star Movies, and many off-sites.
rf53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
JessLUVSminnie
Earning My Ears

No worries!

My DH and I took our 3 kids to WDW and stayed at POR Dec 28, 2011-Jan1, 2012. It was VERY crowded during that time. We allowed our 16 yo DD to travel to DTD on two different nights. She used the bus both times and felt very safe exploring on her own. While I'm sure that there may be instances where one should be cautious I can say that from our experience we felt very safe during our time on property. I would imagine that AoA would provide the same type of environment as well.
JessLUVSminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
Safe from what? Definitely not safe from kids...those little buggers are everywhere and they'll get ya.

I have to add....watch out for the golf carts full of mouse keepers in the early morning if you are walking on the paths near the lake. Seriously, they drive like maniacs!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
siskaren
DIS Veteran

I've visited WDW 10 times as a solo female, and I've never felt unsafe.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I've been to WDW several times by myself, stayed at AoA and other value resorts, and never felt unsafe anywhere on property at any time of the day or night. Most places are well lit and there's usually people around, unless you're like me and get up at 5:30AM on vacation.

Use basic common sense and chances are pretty darn good that you won't have any problems.
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Never felt unsafe at Disney World in 25 years of visits. I don't think our family has ever had a conversation about safety concerns on Disney Property. It isn't an issue. Of course, lock your Disney hotel door, lock your car door, don't leave valuables behind such as, on a stroller, unsecured in your room, or setting your wallet/phone down and forgetting it. Common sense stuff. If you lose something in the parks, Disney and Disney guests are especially good about trying to return it to you thru Lost and Found.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
xoangelxo
Earning My Ears

Its nothing like a big city? No homeless or anything?
xoangelxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I've never seen anyone I would assume to be homeless anywhere on WDW property, especially not at the resorts. There are entrance gates for people arriving at resorts by car, and I don't believe foot traffic on the roads is really encouraged (or allowed at all).

I've heard in the past there was a small problem with panhandlers in the DTD parking lots, but it's been a while since I read about it happening, so I'd assume it was either untrue or has stopped.
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Feel very safe at Disney!!!!!

medhdd7ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Disney property, about twice the size of Manhattan, is Disney-only. It's thousands of acres of wetlands, interspersed here and there with the parks and the hotels. It's very rural/suburban looking. It's not like Universal-Sea World where there are a number of off-property streets with various hotels, motels, restaurants, misc stores, etc. Disney Property is a big, one-owner bubble. Perhaps Disney resorts cost more, but this is why. Everything is close vs staying off-property, everything is consistent in its maintenance, management and high standards. Almost everyone is employed by Disney, something over 60,000 people. The resorts have a guard gate. The parks have paid parking lots. There is Orange Co Sheriffs on-site (who try to stay behind-the-scenes) as well as plenty of uniformed and non-uniformed security. If someone is causing trouble, they are whisked away fairly quickly to a backstage area, then moved off-property. I've never seen homeless there, but there are many thousands like me, who wish Disney World was our home!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
2kidsForMe
Dreams of being a Guest without a Bag

I travel to Disney every summer as a solo adult with 2 kids. I have never ever felt unsafe.

Nov "13 Pop & ASSP/Aug '13 POR/July '13 ASMo/April '13 Aulani/Nov '12 CSR/Jun '12 poly/Feb '12 DLR/Aug '11 CBR & Pop/Jan '11 ASMu/Aug '10 ASMu/Jan '10 FW/Aug '09 FW/Jan '09 ASMu/Aug '08 CSR/Feb '08 offsite/Aug '08 POR/April '08 FW/Oct '07 FW/May '05 WL/Dec '04 & 11/03 offsite/Nov '01 DTD/Aug '99 EuroDisney
2kidsForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoangelxo View Post
Its nothing like a big city? No homeless or anything?
Seriously? Homeless people at WDW? There is no way Disney is going to allow that to happen. My dd and two of her friends traveled to WDW when they were 18...high school graduation trip. They had no issues at all.
I go solo all the time. I've even walked from DHS to Boardwalk at 1:30am....along the walkway that runs beside the canal. Spooky? A little. But I never felt unsafe.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Very safe! I have taken solo trips and have always felt very safe and comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: