Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

Differences in AKL /Jambo/Kidani?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with AKL info as I am more than a bit confused

We have only been to WDW once - this past mid November- and fell in love! We stayed at the Poly & really liked it. We're now trying to plan a return trip for next year (still working on the dates, but prob Thanksgiving time due to the long school break). We're considering several different resorts; I think GF for at least part of it but may want to try a split stay.

I really like the look of Animal Kingdom, but I must admit I am really confused about the differnt rooms and lodge vs dvc there. I think I understand the difference between Jambo House & Kidani, but I don't know the difference between Jambo and AK Lodge.

When I checked for availability and rates, it brought up AK Lodge Savannah View and AK Jambo Deluxe Studio Savannah View. Can anyone tell me what the differences between the 2 are? And if you were going to stay at AK, where would you stay & why?

Thank you all so much! You are all amazing!!

1st WDW trip- Nov 2013 @ The Polynesian
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateavocado View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with AKL info as I am more than a bit confused We have only been to WDW once - this past mid November- and fell in love! We stayed at the Poly & really liked it. We're now trying to plan a return trip for next year (still working on the dates, but prob Thanksgiving time due to the long school break). We're considering several different resorts; I think GF for at least part of it but may want to try a split stay. I really like the look of Animal Kingdom, but I must admit I am really confused about the differnt rooms and lodge vs dvc there. I think I understand the difference between Jambo House & Kidani, but I don't know the difference between Jambo and AK Lodge. When I checked for availability and rates, it brought up AK Lodge Savannah View and AK Jambo Deluxe Studio Savannah View. Can anyone tell me what the differences between the 2 are? And if you were going to stay at AK, where would you stay & why? Thank you all so much! You are all amazing!!
AK Lodge and Jambo are the same thing. There are different types of accommodations available. AK Lodge Savannah view would be a standard hotel room with two beds and a savannah view. A deluxe studio savannah view is a DVC accommodation that you can pay cash for. It has a queen bed and a pullout sofa along with a kitchenette. Deluxe studios are on the 5th floor. We love AKL Jambo! The lobby is gorgeous! Kidani is separate from Jambo. They are neighbors. It is DVC and also offers a variety of accommodations.

Last edited by DisneyGal24; 01-04-2014 at 11:18 AM.
DisneyGal24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

When DVC decided to move into Jambo House (which is the name of the Lodge), they were given the fifth and sixth floors. Before, these floors were mainly the concierge level hotel rooms. They were reconfigured into DVC villas. So just about everything on the fifth floor (except for a few suites) are DVC villas. All of the rooms on the sixth floor (the location of the concierge lounge) are DVC villas, notably DVC Concierge villas (five two bedroom lockoffs). The remaining floors of JH are hotel rooms.

All of Kidani Village is DVC villas and was built originally as DVC villas. There is about a half mile walk between the two buildings on a paved walkway.

If you stay at JH or KV, you can use either pool.

The studio has one queen sized bed, one double sized sleeper sofa and a kitchenette with a microwave, toaster, coffee pot (10-12 cup Mr Coffee type with basket filters) and undercounter refrigerator (with a small freezer section).

The hotel room has two queen beds, a smaller refrigerator without a freezer section and a Cuisinart single cup coffee maker that uses pods (flat round teabag like pods).

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
princessap
DIS Veteran

I thought fifth and sixth floors have savannah views only? So if you stay DVC at Jambo are you guaranteed a savannah view??
Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I thought fifth and sixth floors have savannah views only? So if you stay DVC at Jambo are you guaranteed a savannah view??
No, there are standard and savanna views on the fifth floor. Sixth floor is concierge villas. They are five two bedroom lockoffs with three savanna view (partially blocked by the roof overhang) and two pool view. You cannot request a view on the sixth floor. You get what you get.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
You are guaranteed a savannah view if you book one, they cost more points, just like savannah view rooms cost more money than standard view rooms. Some of the DVC villas @ Jambo overlook the pool area.
There are also value villas in Jambo, which cost the least amount of points and have lower occupancy these can be savannah view, pool view, or parking lot view.
Here's a map of Jambo. http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts.../maps-a-photos

Jambo- gorgeous breathtaking lobby. Very nice gift shop. QS restaurant (Mara,) signature restaurant (Jiko,) buffet restaurant (Boma,) lively bar (Victoria Springs.) Kids club.
Kidani - underwhelming lobby, smallish gift/convenience shop, lovely restaurant w/ windows overlooking sunset savannah, nice rocking chairs outside overlooking sunset savannah, first bus stop for parks, parking convenient to rooms (I've read,) actual villas nicer (I've read.)
Note, I've only stayed at Jambo (before and after there was a Kidani) and visited Kidani.

Last edited by sndral; 01-04-2014 at 04:46 PM.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for all of the info! You all are so very helpful!!
Jambo House looks amazing! From the photos online the lobby looks breath taking- I can only imagine what it's like in person!
I think my ds6 would love the animals!

1st WDW trip- Nov 2013 @ The Polynesian
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Just adding to everyone's very good info here......Kidani has the kids splash/play area by the pool and is a really nice addition for young kids. I really do love the underground parking for Kidani guests. Great in rain and hot sun conditions.

MiaSRN62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Just to add a bit of info regarding the different *feel* of the 2...

We have stayed at Jambo house 3 times (4 upcoming!) - We were also looking into possibly purchasing a DVC and toured Kidani, as well as spent a day swimming there (it's allowed! if you are staying at Jambo!) Kidani definitely has a more secluded feel - the main building is beautiful, but much smaller. Jambo house is much bigger and for us, has a lot more to offer. The pool slide at Kidani is bigger and the little kids splash/play area FAR exceeds the one at Jambo (which is literally a hole in the ground with zero theming). But our kids are 10 & 11 and they LOVE the pool area at Jambo. Both resorts have a lot of different activities for the kids throughout the day. We also prefer the Dining options at Jambo (Boma, Mara) , the large and breathtaking lobby, lots of animal viewing areas, night time animal viewing the flamingo area just steps away from the pool, the nightly movies while swimming in the oasis of a pool , huge shopping Marketplace...just the overall feel there. It is a vacation within a vacation for us.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateavocado View Post
Jambo House looks amazing! From the photos online the lobby looks breath taking- I can only imagine what it's like in person!

I think my ds6 would love the animals!
It really is an amazing resort. The lobby and grounds are just beautiful and with the resort being out away from everything, I think it's very quiet and peaceful. The animals make it such a unique resort and even if you don't get a savanna view room, there are plenty of areas around the resort to watch the animals.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

AKL is our home away from home. We are always counting the days until when we will be back. Here is our take on a few differences.

- Jambo House as you mention, is breath taking. IMO there is not a lobby in the world that that compares. For that reason alone I pick Jambo over Kadani.

- My DD likes the pool better at Jambo but Kadani has a water play area for kids. My only issue with the Kadani pool is that it feels "put off to the side" of the resort. The Jambo pool is in a beautiful "courtyard" that it surrounded on 3 sides by the resort. Grab a drink, a good book, and a lounge chair and you're set. You also never forget where you are because you can hear the flamingos that are next to the pool. Again, Jambo wins here for us.

- Another big issue with Kidani is that there is no counter service food options. Taking a bus or walking to Jambo for lunch is a real pain. I think the Mara is one of the best counter service options in WDW. Another win for Jambo.

- If you're going to be using Disney transportation, its good to know that the buses tend to stop at Kidani first, then Jambo. This means that Kidani guests are off the bus first after a long day at the parks, and on the bus first in the morning so much better chance at a seat. This is not normally a deal breaker for us, but it could be for some.

Well, that's my 2 cents for now. I hope you have a great trip.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: