Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
alm1211
Earning My Ears

Boardwalk Inn tips, hints and good stuff

Hi...planning a trip for end of April consisting of 3 reservations for 4 nights: my family-2 adults 3 kids (11,8,4), my brother's family-2 adults 2 kids (5,2), and my parents (old-ish). First trip for my brother's family and my parents, 4th trip for us. We've been lucky enough to stay at the 3 monorail resorts in the past. My father has (very surprisingly!!) offered to pay for us and have me plan for the group...and I'm always very happy when I'm planning a Disney vacation!
So, using 30% offer from Disney Visa, I've been back and forth with Poly, beach club and boardwalk and finally decided on Boardwalk Inn based on price-it was about $600 less than Poly. I'm very excited but a little worried as my spoiled family is used to the convenience of the other 3 resorts..
I'm just looking for validation that I've made the right choice, I guess! 😁 If anyone can tell me about their great stay at the Boardwalk Inn, please do. Tell me how much we'll all love it, about the ease of access to the parks, how the rooms are spacious and the decor is beautiful! THANKS!
alm1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

it's an awesome location, love walking around at night with the activity,breakfast at the bakery in the morning (best bakery at Disney IMHO) and walking to 2 parks! Just stay away from that hideous clown pool... Alright, no flames, I know some people like it... I find it horrendous..... but otherwise love that whole area! (plus the last time we visited the BW lobby, they had these creepy little carved chairs everywehre...why!?!) you're gonna love it!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We have not stayed at BWI, but we stayed at YC and I have to say that the location of the Epcot resorts is awesome! The ability to walk to two parks is amazing!! I really don't think it can be beat.
Also, the busses to the two other parks were fine.

Honestly, I know that people put the monorail resorts above all else transportation wise, but how can you beat your own two feet? . To me, there is nothing more reliable than that.

We are staying at GF in August (our 1st monorail stay) but I will fully admit to being nervous about that darn monorail. We shall see......

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
kapoof
DIS Veteran

The bwi is fabulous! My dh has become such a resort snob after our last trip at the bwi, he will only stay there from now on.. Great location, food options and awesome pool. Plus nice big rooms! Enjoy your trip!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
alm1211
Earning My Ears

thank you all! I am feeling more comfortable with this choice...booking for 2 other families is stressing me out a bit-just hoping they love the whole disney vacation as much as we do! I do agree with the convenience of walking to 2 parks! We were the GF last December and the monorail wasn't working a few times...very frustrating. And honestly the walk from Sago Cay to the monorail was pretty long (wah wah, right!?)
Is there a place where I can see some pictures (in addition to the stock ones on the disney site)? I would love one of the infamous pool as my brother has a few clown issues!
anyway, feeling more confident in my choice, thanks for all the help!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3124393
Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
We have not stayed at BWI, but we stayed at YC and I have to say that the location of the Epcot resorts is awesome! The ability to walk to two parks is amazing!! I really don't think it can be beat.
Also, the busses to the two other parks were fine.

Honestly, I know that people put the monorail resorts above all else transportation wise, but how can you beat your own two feet? . To me, there is nothing more reliable than that.

We are staying at GF in August (our 1st monorail stay) but I will fully admit to being nervous about that darn monorail. We shall see......
That made me laugh. And yes that monorail is definitely anxiety-inducing. I would always wonder if A. It would show up on time and B. If we would be stuck in the air because of a delay/malfunction.

I've been eyeballing BWI and all of these posts are making me feel good about it. I'm just concerned about the nightlife. Not to hijack the thread, but is it more of a singles location?

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereForMinnie View Post
That made me laugh. And yes that monorail is definitely anxiety-inducing. I would always wonder if A. It would show up on time and B. If we would be stuck in the air because of a delay/malfunction.

I've been eyeballing BWI and all of these posts are making me feel good about it. I'm just concerned about the nightlife. Not to hijack the thread, but is it more of a singles location?
Not at all is the BWI is a singles location. I see more families there than I do singles. I think people think this because of Jellyrolls & Dance Hall etc.. most pot the guests that go there are from all the resorts. You will be fine at the BWI. We love it. They will be working on it starting in May. This came from one of the managers I know. Staring with the 5th floor first but they will close the 4th floor while doing the 5th floor. I am sure not the whole floor but maybe they will. Good luck. You will know if you book & nothing come up ..
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Where/what are the best QS options for lunch/dinner in/around the BW area - besides Epcot?

Thanks!
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013
ddixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereForMinnie View Post

Not at all just for singles . I like wholesome family entertainment. I know the dance hall place is over there but never been nor heard a peep from it. Our room was above cat Cora and it was very nice, we loved the view, and the bakery in the a.m. Also for treats after dinner. Plus the pool!!! I could write a book about how much I loved it...scarey clown thing and all. Trust me, while you are floating there looking up at the swan and how pretty it all is there the clown is a non issue. . And the slide is so much fun I can't wait till next year to go down it again!

me dh ds

2008 dolphin

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon1 View Post
Where/what are the best QS options for lunch/dinner in/around the BW area - besides Epcot?

Thanks!
The bakery is really good for breakfast, they have cold cereal, and biscuit type sandwiches. I had a yogurt parfait I would love to eat every morning. . Belle view lounge inside the lobby (off to the side actually) has a few items plus coffee, but we enjoyed sitting outside on the boardwalk. Also yc has captain grille. We had breakfast there one morning and it was good. Plus bc has a quick service. Swan and dolphin have places too. Picabu is at the dolphin and that a fun place.

me dh ds

2008 dolphin

Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
disneyfanbcv
Mouseketeer

Love BWV

We go to Walt Disney every year, and we always do a split stay. WE LOVE the bw! Convient to epcot for evening strolls! Food galore! Love the grill room there ESPN is great to eat at too. The pizza is great on the Boardwalk. Wonderful shops for adults to shop in, and a great pool for the kids! Very elegant , and wonderful! Two parks nestled on both sides, great boat ride! Movie night on the beach at the beach club. Can't say enough good things! We also stay at the BLT love it there too!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #13
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger4me2 View Post
Not at all is the BWI is a singles location. I see more families there than I do singles. I think people think this because of Jellyrolls & Dance Hall etc.. most pot the guests that go there are from all the resorts. You will be fine at the BWI. We love it. They will be working on it starting in May. This came from one of the managers I know. Staring with the 5th floor first but they will close the 4th floor while doing the 5th floor. I am sure not the whole floor but maybe they will. Good luck. You will know if you book & nothing come up ..
Yeah I was thinking of Jellyrolls and someone on here (not sure which thread) said there were a lot of college students around so I wasn't sure if we would fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
Not at all just for singles . I like wholesome family entertainment. I know the dance hall place is over there but never been nor heard a peep from it. Our room was above cat Cora and it was very nice, we loved the view, and the bakery in the a.m. Also for treats after dinner. Plus the pool!!! I could write a book about how much I loved it...scarey clown thing and all. Trust me, while you are floating there looking up at the swan and how pretty it all is there the clown is a non issue. . And the slide is so much fun I can't wait till next year to go down it again!
Thank you. I'm not afraid of clowns so the slide doesn't bother me at all. I've visited BWI (but never at night) and I think it's so pretty. I remember gasping when I saw the actual boardwalk.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
alm1211
Earning My Ears

Maybe I can find this info elsewhere, but as far as seeing fireworks from Epcot or DHS, is it possible from any of the standard rooms here? Is there a preferred standard room area to stay in? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
kiford
Mouseketeer

BWI is my favourite. They didn't have all of the nights that I wanted in December so we stayed at the BC (my second favourite) or I would have stayed there. Some nights if we were too tired, we would watch Illuminations from our balcony when we stayed at BWI (ask for a room facing Epcot). I get to pick the resort every second trip unless we do a split stay. This time I got to pick and next time he'll pick so I won't get to do BWI unless we do a split stay next time (he prefers GF). Fortunately, BC is both of our second favourite resorts and we did have a great room this last time; but I miss the BWI.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: