Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #76
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
Summer is going way too fast! It's bitter sweet because I can't wait for Disney, but I love playing stay at home mom, too. Hope yours is going great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
Summer is going by fast and I don't like it. I too like being home with the kids and I'm enjoying being able to do what I want without a schedule. Looking forward to Disney but not wishing this time away.
Although I'm enjoying having money back in my pockets due to being back at work full-time, I do miss those every day stay at home moments. I miss picking them from school and being able to just go do "something". I miss being home over the summer where we would get up and just go! But everything happens for a reason and the timing for this new opportunity came at the right time.

We have a year to go before our trip and I also have moments where I feel like I'm wishing the time away. I have told the girls we will be going back (of course they have no concept of time lol). Oldest DD complains it's "so far away" but gets excited to watch YouTube videos and tell me what she wants to do again or try. My little one asks me every morning if we can go after school.

I know it seems far but it will be here before we know it I'm sure.

Jan '10 POFQ; Jul '10 POP; Sep '10 POP; May '12 POFQ

mom2clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #77
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

This is the time of the summer where I am desperately thinking of ways to finagle staying home full time, work with a more flexible schedule, and/or sell our house or rent our house and move here/there/everywhere.......oh my gosh it is exhausting! With TJ starting kindergarten we are feeling less flexible with options than ever before. He especially needs stability and we have his program set up and know who his teacher will be so we really are praying that we will be able to qualify for a construction loan and add on to our house. It is amazing that we work, pay every cent of every bill on time always, have phenomenal credit- but our house is just not worth what it was worth when we bought it- far far less and so we can't really sell it for enough to pay it off, nor can we assume we will get a construction loan because it possibly won't "appraise" at the value it would need to. So frustrating and pretty scary- we did nothing wrong and this is America we shouldn't be so stuck! I digress!

I bought myself several dry fit tanks for our trip. I discovered that t-shirts were not for me last year. Too hot. I haven't worn tanks in many summers which is a testament to how far I've come and the work I've been doing on running. Makes me think I am CRAZY for considering starting over and having another baby with all of this going on.

There was a 24 hour period where my parents were talking about upgrading to a mod. It would have cost them $500 and us a little less. I researched the mods and was excited to just have an experience in a different resort and then they pulled out. I get it- it's a lot of money for really not much more, but this is what I get excited about an I want to see/experience as much Disney as possible. This will be our last extended family vacation! DH did get an extra few days off ahead of the trip so maybe we can get in a couple days early and stay somewhere else!

We made our countdown paper chain about a week ago. On each link we write something we want to do in WDW and we read then as we pull one off each day. Half the chain is red and yellow to represent Mickey and the other half is blue and white for Donald. We save all links and read all of them again before we go and when we come back to see that we did everything.

Lastly, I am going to cancel the Frozen package. I feel confident that we can see the parade and sing a long in a way that will work for us without the package. My kids are too small and too hyperactive to sit and wait for things in the heat. The desserts will hold them for about five minutes. I really want to see the fireworks so I'm hoping to do everything in the am and then get back in time to find a spot for the fireworks- maybe the dance party will hold over the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #78
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2clr View Post
Although I'm enjoying having money back in my pockets due to being back at work full-time, I do miss those every day stay at home moments. I miss picking them from school and being able to just go do "something". I miss being home over the summer where we would get up and just go! But everything happens for a reason and the timing for this new opportunity came at the right time. We have a year to go before our trip and I also have moments where I feel like I'm wishing the time away. I have told the girls we will be going back (of course they have no concept of time lol). Oldest DD complains it's "so far away" but gets excited to watch YouTube videos and tell me what she wants to do again or try. My little one asks me every morning if we can go after school. I know it seems far but it will be here before we know it I'm sure.
It is scary how fast a year goes by although it can feel so slow at points throughout, right??

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #79
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

Funny you mentioned cancelling the Frozen package because of their ages. I'm struggling with the whole "wanting to do as much as we in the time we are there because we haven't been in so long" mind-frame. I have to keep reminding myself that my girls will only be 7 1/2 and 4 1/2 and although the 7.5yo would be more up to my speed, the randomness that is my younger child may not adapt well to it. So, as with all kids, they are completely different creatures 3 months down the road so I can imagine I will get a better gauge of what I truly want to accomplish closer to the trip.

I was "forced" into becoming a stay at home mom as I was laid off when oldest DD turned 1 so we decided I would just stay home. Another baby later and it was over 5 years before I held a full-time job (worked part-time like I mentioned but I don't really count that. ) It was by far the hardest and most rewarding time of my life. I wish I could stay home 2 more years (when DD3 goes into Kindergarten) but it's time for me to start this new chapter. I hope you can figure out a way to stay home. It takes some planning and creativity budget wise, but it can be done.

I love the countdown chain idea. I did one I got from the Dis, but I like the idea of writing fun things to do on it.

Time passes whether we want it to or not. We just have to go with the flow and make the best of it. My friend's kids are 30 and 23 and she tells me all the time that although those tough times are brutal at the moment, they will pass. I just have to take her word for it.

Jan '10 POFQ; Jul '10 POP; Sep '10 POP; May '12 POFQ

mom2clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #80
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2clr View Post
Funny you mentioned cancelling the Frozen package because of their ages. I'm struggling with the whole "wanting to do as much as we in the time we are there because we haven't been in so long" mind-frame. I have to keep reminding myself that my girls will only be 7 1/2 and 4 1/2 and although the 7.5yo would be more up to my speed, the randomness that is my younger child may not adapt well to it. So, as with all kids, they are completely different creatures 3 months down the road so I can imagine I will get a better gauge of what I truly want to accomplish closer to the trip. I was "forced" into becoming a stay at home mom as I was laid off when oldest DD turned 1 so we decided I would just stay home. Another baby later and it was over 5 years before I held a full-time job (worked part-time like I mentioned but I don't really count that. ) It was by far the hardest and most rewarding time of my life. I wish I could stay home 2 more years (when DD3 goes into Kindergarten) but it's time for me to start this new chapter. I hope you can figure out a way to stay home. It takes some planning and creativity budget wise, but it can be done. I love the countdown chain idea. I did one I got from the Dis, but I like the idea of writing fun things to do on it. Time passes whether we want it to or not. We just have to go with the flow and make the best of it. My friend's kids are 30 and 23 and she tells me all the time that although those tough times are brutal at the moment, they will pass. I just have to take her word for it.
That is so true! I am blessed to have a good job with great benefits. Staying at home is by far much harder work than my job- it's just so much more personal. But I do think that everything is for a reason and one day I'll look back and know why

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #81
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Oh Ann... I can so relate... We purchased our house in 2006... Right before the housing market fell out from under everyone... We are in the exact same boat, and our house will NEVER be worth what we paid for it... Even considering the work we've already done. We also want to put an addition on our house, but we keep dragging our feet... Sadly - even with a new addition, I am not sure it will increase the value enough to make it worth our while. But then the other side of me says... Well, it would make us comfortable - we might as well resign ourselves to the fact we will live here forever... But it's so hard to bite the bullet, and it's a lot of $$ to invest in something you are not sure will ever pay off.

Also... I've been a SAHM for most of the girls' lives... Financially - it's always been a struggle, especially when they were younger. But by the time we paid for daycare - it was a losing situation. To be quite honest, it's been a very rewarding thing - and if it's something you can manage, I would recommend it. I've loved watching my girls grow. It was always my intention to go back to work full-time once they were old enough to be home alone, but right around that time, I started my business - which has been a blessing in disguise in so many ways. It's allowed me to continue to work - but to be home with them... And what I never realized until now, is that teens need their parents too - it's been very good for our relationship for me to continue to be home for them, even now. Just food for thought. I am sure you will be able to come to some sort of happy medium that works for your family.

And I think our trips may overlap? Have we decided to plan a Dismeet?

I've decided to avoid the Frozen stuff like the plague... We didn't really enjoy the movie all that much - and we are so sick of hearing about it... I think we will use those crowds to our advantage and zig while they zag.

I can't believe our trips are getting so close!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #82
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Oh Ann... I can so relate... We purchased our house in 2006... Right before the housing market fell out from under everyone... We are in the exact same boat, and our house will NEVER be worth what we paid for it... Even considering the work we've already done. We also want to put an addition on our house, but we keep dragging our feet... Sadly - even with a new addition, I am not sure it will increase the value enough to make it worth our while. But then the other side of me says... Well, it would make us comfortable - we might as well resign ourselves to the fact we will live here forever... But it's so hard to bite the bullet, and it's a lot of $$ to invest in something you are not sure will ever pay off. Also... I've been a SAHM for most of the girls' lives... Financially - it's always been a struggle, especially when they were younger. But by the time we paid for daycare - it was a losing situation. To be quite honest, it's been a very rewarding thing - and if it's something you can manage, I would recommend it. I've loved watching my girls grow. It was always my intention to go back to work full-time once they were old enough to be home alone, but right around that time, I started my business - which has been a blessing in disguise in so many ways. It's allowed me to continue to work - but to be home with them... And what I never realized until now, is that teens need their parents too - it's been very good for our relationship for me to continue to be home for them, even now. Just food for thought. I am sure you will be able to come to some sort of happy medium that works for your family. And I think our trips may overlap? Have we decided to plan a Dismeet? I've decided to avoid the Frozen stuff like the plague... We didn't really enjoy the movie all that much - and we are so sick of hearing about it... I think we will use those crowds to our advantage and zig while they zag. I can't believe our trips are getting so close! D~
:Hug: Thanks! I know there are so many others in our boat and far worse. I so admire that you have a passion and talent and found a way to work for you to be able to stay home- it is inspirational. I'm just kind of Tinkerbelle trying to find the talent that can do that for me lol.

We should definitely try to arrange a DisMeet- we overlap but for a couple days only and not in the same place? Although our last day we have nothing planned for afternoon/evening since we will be taking it easy to get on the road really early. Nokia we will have our car so that helps!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #83
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

The Resort Saga Continues

TJ has been enjoying t-ball camp this week. It is a pre-k camp that goes M-F for 2.5 hours in the am for ages 3-5 run by the town rec department. Last year he went and gave me such a hard time every day.....I believe he gave the staff a hard time as well. It was rough. I signed Aly up this year too, but had to withdraw her because she is not potty trained yet Anyway, once TJ found out Aly wasn't going he gave me grief all last weekend about it. He wasn't going. He wasn't going to be nice to anyone. He wasn't going to listen to the teachers. He was going to run away. Yadda. Yadda. Yadda. Turns out, with some encouragement followed by some threats to take toys away (parent fail, I know), I got him to go on Monday and he has LOVED it. Each morning there is a little hesitance, but I think that is his routine and he goes in easier and easier each day and the growth is just amazing!

Turns out, it was good that Aly had to be withdrawn as we got a refund and guess what? Monday night was a puke fest as was all day yesterday. The poor child was so sick that Tom took her to the hospital last night. Luckily, it is just a virus and the puke has stopped, but she has been attached to the couch all day. My poor baby! Of course I can't help but think- thank God now and not at Disney!!!

So how does the Disney Resort Saga of 2014 continue??? I had mentioned a few posts back that my parents mentioned possibly upgrading to a moderate resort for the week. It would have cost us about $430 and them $500 (they have a third adult, my sister, in their room). I was so excited- we LOVED Pop, but my dream is to try many different resorts, so two consecutive trips at the same resort kind of shoots that down. I made the calls. I gathered the info. There was availability. And my parents backed out.

I've since become obsessed with getting into Disney a day earlier now, since my parents/sister are flying and we are driving we have this flexibility and don't have to worry about them. A night at the Beach Club will cost $440. So expensive. A price I would never DREAM of paying for a room. For one night! However, my justification is, we were going to spend that to upgrade from Pop for the week if my parents had been on board. Sure this is one night, as opposed to 8 nights, but it is deluxe.......and it is pretty much the same money. Right?

Also important to note......we will be staying about an hour away from WDW the night before so we can get in fairly early and truly enjoy the entire day at the resort and pools. The next day we are just checking into POP with no plans that day so we can try for a late check out and enjoy that morning at the resort too, before heading over to POP. Of course, I worry that there will be a hurricane or something and then it won't matter at all- that would really stink!

Then I saw that we could stay in a Savannah room at AKL for the price of the Beach Club. I've been googling images of the pool at AKL and it is just not the same, though I think we would have a lot of fun either way. Plus, we are not interested in the Indian food or African food that AKL offers.

The final option is Caribbean Beach. This would cost far, far less for the night. When looking at mods to stay in I ruled this one out because they do not offer the queen beds and I knew my parents would want queen beds if paying more money. But by far, this mod has the best pool for my little guys (5 and 3). They will LOVE that pirate ship water play area! I might even splurge for a pirate room if it is available.......or just a preferred pool room since I think I read that the pirate rooms are far away from the pool. Although we would save the money here, my thought is, the next time we travel to Disney, it is more likely I will book moderate since I am so disappointed this time that I did not do it. Most likely I will NEVER book an entire vacation deluxe so maybe a night at Beach Club is justifiable?

I am so indecisive! I go back and forth! What would you do?

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #84
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

fell behind a bit but wanted to chime in.

We decided to have my wife stay at home with the kids as day care would have cost more than she was making (especially once we were up to 2) and just didn't feel worth it. She did pick up the odd job here and there bu nothing major. So far it has worked out but there are times having a 2nd income would be nice but is what it is

As far as resorts go - that is always such a hard debate ... how do you define value for what you are spending, etc. I think one extra night seems like a good idea since more Disney is always a good thing. Plus then you are there and hopefully cna hit the ground running even more the next days. But totally understand about $440 sounding like a lot for one day. If you were going to go Deluxe and enjoy pool time, etc. I think Beach Club makes a ton of sense. Did you look into any discounts - or is that the post-discount price? Through the Disney Visa you can save quite a bit at certain times if you do room only - which is what you would need for the extra night. Through that we were able to move to The Contemporary for our next trip. I mean, don't get me wrong, it isn't cheap but the total was actually less than I was expecting. And there is no annual fee on the Disney Visa if you don't already have one. Just a thought

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #85
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
fell behind a bit but wanted to chime in.

We decided to have my wife stay at home with the kids as day care would have cost more than she was making (especially once we were up to 2) and just didn't feel worth it. She did pick up the odd job here and there bu nothing major. So far it has worked out but there are times having a 2nd income would be nice but is what it is

As far as resorts go - that is always such a hard debate ... how do you define value for what you are spending, etc. I think one extra night seems like a good idea since more Disney is always a good thing. Plus then you are there and hopefully cna hit the ground running even more the next days. But totally understand about $440 sounding like a lot for one day. If you were going to go Deluxe and enjoy pool time, etc. I think Beach Club makes a ton of sense. Did you look into any discounts - or is that the post-discount price? Through the Disney Visa you can save quite a bit at certain times if you do room only - which is what you would need for the extra night. Through that we were able to move to The Contemporary for our next trip. I mean, don't get me wrong, it isn't cheap but the total was actually less than I was expecting. And there is no annual fee on the Disney Visa if you don't already have one. Just a thought
Thanks! I have thought about Disney Visa, but Tom does not want to right now because we want to get approved for a loan to build an addition onto our house. If we got the $200 sign on bonus from Disney Visa, that would make it more of a no brainer!

Unfortunately, the window for the discounts that were available when we booked has closed and the new window of discounts does not start until August 16. There is zero availability at Beach Club (and all other resorts) left from the window from when we booked. There are no standard rooms left, so that is a non-discounted, tax included, garden room rate for Beach Club.

I am going to be buying Disney giftcards off of a friend who had to cancel a trip for $23 for every $25 increment......so that will save a tiny bit, but nothing major.

It will be interesting to see what happens- the giftcard friend returns from a camping trip this Saturday, so I will want to have a decision by then so I can buy the cards and book something!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #86
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

I canceled the Frozen Premium Package. I am confident that we will still enjoy as much of Frozen activities as we would have enjoyed with the package. Now I don't have to stress myself out - if the kids cooperate and we see the entire parade- great! If they make it to the fireworks- awesome! Glad the debate is over and a decision made.

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #87
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Just stopping by to say "hi!"

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
digiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #88
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiMom View Post
Just stopping by to say "hi!"
So sweet! Hi back!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #89
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

I just booked a before the park opens breakfast ADR at Akershus for me, DD and my sister! DD is going to be so excited! Plus, now I don't have to stress about being in Germany/France during the small window of time to wAit in line for Snow White and Aurora. I also will have to choose a meal to pay OOP now. Here are the meals:

Dinner
Ohana
Be Our Guest
San Angel Inn
Garden Grill
Hoop Dee

Lunch
Sci Fi ( I'm guessing this is the one)

Breakfast
Chef Mickey
Akershus

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #90
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Yay!! Congrats!

When we had to do a meal OOP last year, it ended up being Sci-Fi... Not saying that's always the case, but looking at your list - I am pretty sure it will be too.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: