Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #31
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

Tomas and I have never taken a vacation without the girls. We barely have date nights! I don't think I could go away for so long without them.

So glad to hear TJ did well at Tae Kwan Doe!! I think sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and don't give our kiddos the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he has found his niche.

I usually get 6 day base tickets and it seems to be enough for us. I like the down days at the resort. I tend to go a little crazy the first few days and use the 2nd half of the vacation as a "go with the flow" schedule. I do choose the best park to go to that day, but we get up whenever we want and once we arrive at the park, we meander and enjoy the scenery.

I've never done free dining as it's never worked out financially for us, but adding DD2 now into the mix and wanting to possibly do some character meals, I may have to sit down and do some math to see if it's worth it to me.

Jan '10 POFQ; Jul '10 POP; Sep '10 POP; May '12 POFQ
mom2clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #32
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2clr View Post
Tomas and I have never taken a vacation without the girls. We barely have date nights! I don't think I could go away for so long without them. So glad to hear TJ did well at Tae Kwan Doe!! I think sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and don't give our kiddos the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he has found his niche. I usually get 6 day base tickets and it seems to be enough for us. I like the down days at the resort. I tend to go a little crazy the first few days and use the 2nd half of the vacation as a "go with the flow" schedule. I do choose the best park to go to that day, but we get up whenever we want and once we arrive at the park, we meander and enjoy the scenery. I've never done free dining as it's never worked out financially for us, but adding DD2 now into the mix and wanting to possibly do some character meals, I may have to sit down and do some math to see if it's worth it to me.
Oh that's right- I forgot free dining is at the expense of the percent off the room- although at the values it's not a high percent 10 or 15% I think? Does that get taken off the rooms only or your room/ticket package?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #33
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

#Disneyproblems

I'm feeling guilty this morning because we were supposed to go on the Disney Fantasy this summer with extended family and their children. We planned this 2 summers ago when we last were on the ship (they were not on that trip but we booked them a room). Well, we said we might back out and other family members have backed out. But then we went to a family wedding and had some drinks and said we were definitely going. Fast forward 2 months and they are making major cuts at my job, our house never sold and we want to do expensive renovations and we can do WDW for half the price.......they already bought their flights and I guess don't want to go if we aren't going. I feel like the worst person! I had suggested changing to WDW earlier on when other family members started backing out due to price, but they never showed interest.

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #34
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
#Disneyproblems

I'm feeling guilty this morning because we were supposed to go on the Disney Fantasy this summer with extended family and their children. We planned this 2 summers ago when we last were on the ship (they were not on that trip but we booked them a room). Well, we said we might back out and other family members have backed out. But then we went to a family wedding and had some drinks and said we were definitely going. Fast forward 2 months and they are making major cuts at my job, our house never sold and we want to do expensive renovations and we can do WDW for half the price.......they already bought their flights and I guess don't want to go if we aren't going. I feel like the worst person! I had suggested changing to WDW earlier on when other family members started backing out due to price, but they never showed interest.

Aww Ann... Here are my thoughts on your dillema...

First of all - it seems to me, your reasons for not going are totally valid. Quite honestly - vacations are expensive, and to be able to afford them, the rest of your life needs to be stable. Seems like lots of things are not quite right to make the cruise possible.

Worst case scenerio... They would have to take a cruise by themselves right? I don't see that as a bad thing, really. It's not as if they can trade in their airfare - so they need to go... And it's a Disney cruise - they WILL have fun whether you and your family are there or not.

If I were them, I would completely understand your situation and your need to re-evaluate the cruise. Have you tried explaining to them?

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #35
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I'm probably making more of a bigger deal than they feel it is. I don't really know- we only see and talk to each other in average once a year! I hope they go- I know they won't regret it if they do.

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 02-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #36
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

The latest:

Well after nearly a month of my expanded class at school and a stomach bug pushing through my house I am back to "normal" and with it being ADR month- 13 days - I am in full on planning and over planning mode.
We are scheduled for 8 nights at Pop Century with a 7 day base ticket (originally was 5) and today

I ADDED THE MEAL PLAN! Last year I scrutinized over whether or not it was worth it and in the end we didn't add it and never regretted it. But this year we are planning several Table service meals and since our home renovations are probably on permanent hold besides redoing our very tiny bathroom I'm ready to do some more Disney splurging.

We are planning

Hoop Dee Doo Revue- 2 words- sangria included
Chef Mickey breakfast
Garden Grill with Chip and Dale dinner
Sci Fi lunch
Via Napoli dinner
Be Our Guest dinner

So, with all of those, it seemed to make sense to add the plan- but could it just be over eager Disney math that got the best of me?? This will still leave us with one more table service. Maybe an excuse to add Crystal Palace for a before MK opening photo opportunity? Although as much as we love breakfast I hate spending the money on breakfast since we have a fridge in the room it should be the "cheap" meal IMHO.

Any other suggestions? Maybe a HS dinner? Or maybe Hollywood and vine again now that Sophia and Doc are part of the cast?

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #37
DMGeurts

We added dining for the first time on our March 2012 trip, and I don't think I could ever do Disney with out it again. Granted - that trip was Free Dining... but it was wonderful. I LOVED being able to take a trip, and not have to worry about our meal budget once while we were there... The girls could order anything their hearts desired.

On our last trip - I actually had to pay for Dining... I worked the figures over and over again, based on what we would "normally" order - and our savings was less than $50... and that did not include the desserts (which we didn't need)... but in the end, it was a no brainer for us. I know that each family is different, but for us - it just works well.

And even though it's "breakfast" and would be $$ better spent on a different meal... CP before the park opens is a must-do for us... There is NOTHING better than being able to walk into a freshly washed and uncrowded Main Street that glistens in the morning sunshine... When we leave CP - our bellies are full and we can usually make it through the day on a "snack" at lunch time and then a CS dinner. So, even if it feels like you aren't getting the most bang for your buck - in the end, it comes out even. We never, ever do Disney with out our early ADR at CP (and Tusker House too) - it sets the tone for a wonderful day for us. So, I highly recommend.

D~
Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #38
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Thanks D! I think with all of the meals I decided we are having it ends up worth it. Of course I go off the idea of I we planned one or no table service meals, did breakfast in the room, and used our car to go off property for a few meals (sea Dog Brewery- YUM) then it is a no BRAINER money saver so I do get that twinge of guilt. But now that I have a 'plan' I am excited to see it through and try so many new experiences. I'm also still toying with am I going to regret not doing CRT with my daughter? I think doing meet and greets with princesses will suffice but I'm worried about missing something?!?!

Now I need you to convince me to get memory maker Here is why I want it- I don't want to miss any great photo opportunities. It's TOO hot to get motivated to arrange everyone for a perfect picture and schlep the camera around. We have no family photo in front of any of the great landmarks and our camera did the humidity/foggy lens thing the first morning we were there.

Here is my struggle- my kids have been less than cooperative with photos in the past though they are getting better, it's HOT= more sass/less cooperativeness, lines for characters - not sure kids will be interested in waiting, this I'm not sure about- lines for photo pass photographers.

We dropped our Disney Cruise for a 'bargain' trip to WDW and while it is still cheaper- I wonder for how much longer it will be! Ha! #disneyproblems

Have a magical day!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 02-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #39
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Another snow day marathon here! Yesterday I noticed that The Disney Store was having a friends and family shopping event and ordered tee shirts (for the kids- already discussed my attire- too bad the don't make sweat proof Disney shirts lol), bathing suits for Aly, new towels (we live in a beach town), Minnie sunglasses for Aly and a new Minnie cover up for Aly.

Shirts are as follows
TJ - Mickey and Cars
Aly- Minnie and Princesses

Bathing suits
Aly- Minnie, Ariel and Princesses
TJ- usually get Lands End since they have the shirt suits and then we don't have to put as much sunblock

I'm thinking of adding celebrations to our reservation. Aly turns three in June and TJ is graduating preschool. The kids will like to have the pins and with the cost of the vacation we've paid for those pins about a zillion times over, right?!

Tomorrow is ADR day and I've made one change so that we can try the infamous Ohana! I'm scrutinizing over another change Id like to make but Grammy, Pop Pop and Auntie would really like to eat at San Angel Inn and I figure the kids will eat the rice and chips and watch the boats go by if all else fails?!?! And I'm sure by this point in the trip I can use some good tequila too....

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 02-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #40
DMGeurts

Yay for a Disney shopping trip! Cool! Sounds like you were able to get some great things!

Also, I agree - celebrations are a must - take advantage of them if you can, that's what they are there for.

Which meal are you doing at Ohana? We have not eaten at San Angel Inn, so I don't know that much about it... I am sure that tequila will be a great thing though.

D~
Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #41
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Yay for a Disney shopping trip! Cool! Sounds like you were able to get some great things!

Also, I agree - celebrations are a must - take advantage of them if you can, that's what they are there for.

Which meal are you doing at Ohana? We have not eaten at San Angel Inn, so I don't know that much about it... I am sure that tequila will be a great thing though.

D~
Yes, I am going to call later to fix an ADR that gave me some trouble and I will be sure to add our celebrations- might even add Tom and Auntie who have July birthdays!

We are doing Ohana dinner.

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #42
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

ADR Success!

Done! Phew! After some initial 'un-pixie dust' on the laptop and phone, the laptop MDE finally pulled through. I was on the computer from about 6am-close to 7am to make all the ADRs because there was another issue along the way that I will describe below.

Here is our itinerary!

Wednesday, August 13- leave home about 1am and drive, drive, drive to NC

Thursday, August 14 - leave by 6 am and drive, drive, drive. Check in at POP hopefully by dinner time (I'm going to push to leave earlier than 6am, but we are staying with relatives, so......makes it a little tougher). Meet up with Auntie, Grammy, and Pop Pop who will have the luxury of flying in.

Friday, August 15
MK day
5:05 'Ohana

Saturday, August 16
HS day - AM EMH
12:15 Sci-Fi lunch- we probably won't go back at night unless offered a reprieve from the kids. Last year, morning/early afternoon was more than enough time at HS for the little ones- and that was without EMH.

Sunday, August 17
MK day - PM EMH (again, only to be enjoyed if reprieve from kids offered)
BOG- at 6am on ADR day I could not get one reservation for all 7 of us. Luckily, I was able to book Tom, TJ, Aly, Auntie, and myself at 5:05 and my parents at 5:00- will call Disney later and see if they can mesh the reservation? If not, no big deal.

Monday, August 18
AK day - AM EMH
I'm excited for AK. It was our last day last year and we were tired of being hot and tired, so we missed a lot. The AM extra hour will give us more time to explore if we are not at MK too late the night before!

6:15 Hoop dee Doo Musical Revue

Tuesday, August 19
Epcot night
9:35 AM Chef Mickey's breakfast (my parents are opting out of this one)

5:00 San Angel Inn

Wednesday, August 20
Epcot day
5:15 Garden Grill (cannot wait for Chip and Dale)

Thursday, August 21
MK AM EMH

Will do the morning/early afternoon here. Then it will be time to take it easy at the resort and have an early dinner before we leave by 4am the latest to head back north

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #43
DMGeurts

All of your ADRs sound wonderful! BUmmer about not being able to get BoG all in one sitting - but sometimes they can work magic at the podium too... So all is not lost yet.

We love Garden Grill with Chip n' Dale - it's really a fun meal... I am missing out on having it this time.

Otherwise, your plans and meals sound fantastic! Great choices Ann!

D~
Old 02-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #44
huggiebear23
Can't wait for Disney!!!

Popping In

Love the PTR. The kids are super cute. I am going in August too. Have you e driven to Fl before? Do you like iy?I really want to do it but I am meeting my Dh in Orlando so we are taking the Auto Train.

huggiebear23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #45
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggiebear23 View Post
Love the PTR. The kids are super cute. I am going in August too. Have you e driven to Fl before? Do you like iy?I really want to do it but I am meeting my Dh in Orlando so we are taking the Auto Train.
Thanks! We drove last August and loved having our car. We stopped in Savannah, GA last year. The kids were great in the car. We did have some ahem moments- I forgot to pack bathing suits for myself and had to seek out a mall in Savannah after driving all day, kids were CRAZY when we got to Savannah- tub drain broken and Aly got sick in the tub and then we got locked out of the room- seriously needs it's own post, I got a speeding ticket (so so bad but not used to driving for long periods of time/distance and learned lesson- use cruise control!). So- an adventure but can laugh about most of it now and we are doing it again so we are either that crazy or it just wasn't so bad as it seems

Driving home was not as fun- but we just don't want to spend the money to fly and then also rely on Disney transportation. I had looked into auto train last year but the prices seemed similar to flying?!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: