Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2clr View Post
Thanks for posting about your trip last August. My biggest concern so far is the heat. lol We have been in January, May and September. September was HOT so that's the only reference I currently have. I've never done EMH but I'm wondering if we should try them this upcoming trip. My girls are complete opposites. DD5 can sleep in late (easily wakes up when she needs to) and DD2 wakes up between 645-7. If I decide to do EMH, I'm thinking I may add hoppers. The baby waking up early causes her to want to fall asleep earlier but being I will have the stroller, I can easily see my oldest and I enjoying ourselves walking around the parks in the evenings. Something else to think about. Oh, and not only are our kids around the same age, your hubby and my DBF have the same name. lol
Oh yea and the stroller was a lifesaver for both kids. They never would have done all the walking we did or we would have barely seen anything! Even the older one- I hope he can still fit in the stroller this year! I don't think TJ slept in it at all since he just had the bench part of the sit and stand but Aly fell asleep a lot of times. She had me really worried the first couple days in the parks she was barely eating or DRINKING in that heat!!! And we took breaks!!! Breaks during our park times AND the mid day breaks!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #17
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
I've heard September and August are similar. One thing we learned last year was that the under armour sweat resistant type clothes helped stay comfortable along with the mid day break and clothes change. I had bought a few Target/champion brand shirts like that and I will probably buy more and just pack those mostly. It's not very attractive- but neither are the soaking wet with sweat "nice" clothes I wore on other days.......haha maybe TMI?
The part that surprised us the most about the August heat last year is... At home, when you wake up in the morning - the morning is the coolest part of the day - then as the sun comes out, the days progressively get hotter.

August in FL is totally different. The coolest part of the day is AFTER the "4 o'clock rain" and then the heat starts to build again after that.

So, theoretically - if you are trying to stay cool in the FL heat, you need to be touring in the evenings.

There were a few mornings, where I opened our resort room door to head out for the day, and I thought "Awww crap..." this is gonna suck. The heat just blasted you in your face to the point where it was hard to breathe...

Lots and LOTS of water. It was my RULE for our entire trip, which I strictly enforced... My girls were allowed ONE small soda per day - otherwise it was water or Powerade (which I don't normally allow them to drink ever) to keep them hydrated.

One thing my (fantastic) TA told me before we left on our trip, is ANY food place or cart that sells fountain soda will give out FREE large glasses of ice water, since it comes out of the fountain soda machine, it's filtered, and doesn't have that "odd FL water taste". Now, to me, it tasted a bit "off" - but not so much that I wouldn't drink it. And it was so much easier to grab a glass of cold ice water from a stand, than it was to lug around a luke warm heavy bottle of water all day. So, I thought I would pass along that tip.

And don't forget the sunscreen... I brought a bazillion bottles of the spray on Coppertone cooling sunscreen (we only used two of them) - so now I have a stock for this trip... but still, really important to have sun protection while you are there.

I did not bring along any sort of Under Armor stuff - I probably should have. For me, it was just tank tops and jean shorts... I was hot, for sure... I might invest in something like that this year, just to test it out for a day and see how it goes.

Also, if you do the WPF&M option - which I HIGHLY recommend if you are going in August... It's a lot of fun and soooo nice to be in the water parks when it's hot.

Sorry for taking over your PTR Ann... BUt I thought I could offer a few things I thought useful for August. MOst of all - it's sooooo much hotter than you could ever imagine - and PLAN for the heat to exaust you, along with the walking and standing.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #18
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

I have all intentions of starting a trip report, but we shall see how motivated I get. I think once I buy airfare I will feel like the trip is more real.

If you can see my signature it says "girls only trip" so no, my Tom is NOT a Disney fan. He took us May 2012 but it was a tough trip. He's just not a morning person, doesn't like the heat, is a picky eater...so pretty much not a roll with the punches kind of guy which made being able to go with the flow difficult. I asked the girls the other night if we should ask daddy to come with us and before the question was done, they answered "no!". I swear I didn't influence them!

Did you use a double stroller last year? I'm planning on taking my First Years Ignite which is super light and simple for DD2 but she rarely uses a stroller here so I was toying with the idea of renting. Then I thought, maybe I should rent a double in case DD5 wants to ride, but would I have a hard time wrangling a double and 2 kids on the bus alone?? I fully plan on once the weather gets better to start our walking regime. I want to build their stamina and I know the heat will play a factor in it, but at least their little legs will be able to hold them for as long as possible. I take a lot of breaks (always did even when I went alone with oldest DD) which helps. Lots of sitting on benches and people watching. Plus at their age, anything and everything is a distraction. lol

Jan '10 POFQ; Jul '10 POP; Sep '10 POP; May '12 POFQ
mom2clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

D I love your description of August heat - IT IS A BLAST TO THE FACE for sure! We utilized the free water idea- I read it on the boards. Great tip and just all around better for your health and wallet!

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #20
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have all intentions of starting a trip report, but we shall see how motivated I get. I think once I buy airfare I will feel like the trip is more real. If you can see my signature it says "girls only trip" so no, my Tom is NOT a Disney fan. He took us May 2012 but it was a tough trip. He's just not a morning person, doesn't like the heat, is a picky eater...so pretty much not a roll with the punches kind of guy which made being able to go with the flow difficult. I asked the girls the other night if we should ask daddy to come with us and before the question was done, they answered "no!". I swear I didn't influence them! Did you use a double stroller last year? I'm planning on taking my First Years Ignite which is super light and simple for DD2 but she rarely uses a stroller here so I was toying with the idea of renting. Then I thought, maybe I should rent a double in case DD5 wants to ride, but would I have a hard time wrangling a double and 2 kids on the bus alone?? I fully plan on once the weather gets better to start our walking regime. I want to build their stamina and I know the heat will play a factor in it, but at least their little legs will be able to hold them for as long as possible. I take a lot of breaks (always did even when I went alone with oldest DD) which helps. Lots of sitting on benches and people watching. Plus at their age, anything and everything is a distraction. lol
I can relate to a non Disney Tom haha. He at least plays along and we had a hoot time together.

We used a sit and stand so Aly had a seat and TJ had the stand part w the bench to sit on also. I hear your dilemma- I can't imagine folding a stroller AND keeping tabs on both kids getting on and off a bus. :: However- IMHO the stroller for both kids is an absolute necessity. Even just getting from the room to the bus in the heat- too much walking for my kids. I would go double and if you rent do a rental agency that will drop the stroller at your resort and pick it up at the end of the stay? I don't know- tough call bc I see your point about just renting in the parks so you don't have to fold up and down getting on and off the bus but you'd probably quickly get a routine down?

Either way- have something to wrap on your stroller that will make it stand out as yours for when CMs move all the strollers around and so other guests don't mistake your stroller for theirs.

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #21
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have all intentions of starting a trip report, but we shall see how motivated I get. I think once I buy airfare I will feel like the trip is more real.

If you can see my signature it says "girls only trip" so no, my Tom is NOT a Disney fan. He took us May 2012 but it was a tough trip. He's just not a morning person, doesn't like the heat, is a picky eater...so pretty much not a roll with the punches kind of guy which made being able to go with the flow difficult. I asked the girls the other night if we should ask daddy to come with us and before the question was done, they answered "no!". I swear I didn't influence them!

Did you use a double stroller last year? I'm planning on taking my First Years Ignite which is super light and simple for DD2 but she rarely uses a stroller here so I was toying with the idea of renting. Then I thought, maybe I should rent a double in case DD5 wants to ride, but would I have a hard time wrangling a double and 2 kids on the bus alone?? I fully plan on once the weather gets better to start our walking regime. I want to build their stamina and I know the heat will play a factor in it, but at least their little legs will be able to hold them for as long as possible. I take a lot of breaks (always did even when I went alone with oldest DD) which helps. Lots of sitting on benches and people watching. Plus at their age, anything and everything is a distraction. lol
I just signed onto the laptop and your girls are ADORABLE!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #22
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Smile All Good Things Must Come to an End

So, I'm being a little dramatic, but after being home with my kids for pretty much 2 weeks, I am so sad that we are back to the routine tomorrow. I know from experience the grass in always greener- I am a SAHM for the summer months and it is truly the hardest job in the world and I find myself awaiting September on many occasions over those few short months, but my babes are growing so fast and really every moment we spend together is so precious- even the UGLY moments!

So today was mostly spent sitting around our fireplace and going into the finished basement to play Mario Kart with Aly who really can't play- she crashes and gets overlapped in last place and then passes me the wii-mote. Ha! Tom has been glued to football all weekend.

I was eating really healthy up until December rolled around and now I have been eating my way into the New Year. Tomorrow is supposed to be the day of getting back into the good habits and cutting out the delicious 'just because' foods and drinks.

Disney is my escape, my happy place as I've mentioned. Recently I've been quite stressed about our childcare situation next year as TJ enters kindergarten and I'm not sure our current arrangements will continue to work out. This year we have a babysitter 2 days, my mom comes from 2 hours away and stays with us for 2 days and Tom's mom who lives in the next town over watches them 1 day.

We are also starting to talk home renovation projects. We've been in our house for 7 years and have done some work to it, but have held off on the big projects because we always thought we'd be moving. This has been a constant stress for me- as I just want to feel settled and feel confident about where we are going to be for the foreseeable future. Well we have decided it will be best to stay in our house so now we'll be looking for a contractor and possibly architect and seeing what we can afford to do!

Have a great Monday! Let's see how long I keep up with this once it's back to the grind!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #23
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

D's description of that August heat was informative...thank you.

I think I will stick to what I've done in the past...wake up early and play it by ear on when to head back to resort. I will plan indoor breaks (late lunches) and maybe some splashing in water areas during the hottest part of the day and use the evenings to wind down, pool time, baths and movie at the resort. I am planning 2 MK days, 2 Epcot and 1 HS. AK just never seems to agree with us so I'm nixing it out of the plans completely.

I feel your pain about childcare. I am VERY lucky in that in Sept 2012, I went to work for a former co-worker who opened his own business after we got laid off in Feb '09. I made sure to keep him in my back pocket for when the time came to go back to work. I started out 3 days/wk 10am-2pm. DD5 was in PreK4 and DD2 was watched by a mom of DD5's classmate. This year DD5 started Kindergarten and I changed my schedule to 5 days/wk 9am-2pm. I placed DD2 in daycare only because we bought a home and are little further from our sitter who also is pregnant. Plus DD2 is a different monster, I mean child, than DD5 so she definitely is benefiting from the daycare environment. So I pick up and drop off and am home by 315 with both girls. I played around with the thought of going full time, but my boss felt we didn't have enough for me to do (yet!) so he kept me at my hours and I received a 30% hourly raise. No complaints here!

And thank you regarding my girls. I think they are kind of cute too. lol My little one is a handful!! Unlike you, I'm excited to get back to our normal routine!

Have a great night!!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #24
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Off to another exciting day at work. The pipes bursts and flooded one of our schools an Hal of the children have been sent to our school for the next five days. I feel so bad for the children and teachers this has affected. I had 11 children added to my room- 31 children total. They were all very well behaved, but I've never been so tired! I am sooo dreaming of Disney Days!

Has anyone had friends ask them about trip planning because they are known to be a Disney lover? I keep having people ask me and belong to a big group of moms in town nm all the young teachers I work with. Kind of makes me think I should get in on the independent travel agent market and capitalize off of my passion (lolol)? Anyone know anything about this?

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #25
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

I have a great TA who specializes in Disney... I'd be happy to pass along her info via PM, if you'd like. She may be able to give you more information?

I hope your day goes good today with the extra kids.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #26
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I have a great TA who specializes in Disney... I'd be happy to pass along her info via PM, if you'd like. She may be able to give you more information? I hope your day goes good today with the extra kids. D~
Thanks D- I guess there's no harm in getting some information, right?

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #27
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Well it is Saturday morning and like I've predicted it's been a week. The closed school has found a new location but it needs renovating and they still need to move in. Looks like another week at least until we are back to "normal." Luckily the kids continue to be great!

We are going to try Tae Kwon Do again today. I know I'm mean but I don't have high expectations. Hopefully if we keep getting him there TJ will get familiar enough with all of the people that he will participate, but at $100 a month it will be hard to be patient once the two week trial is over. I tried to get him to the mid week session also to speed up the process but he had school in the morning and then he goes for speech/ot and fell asleep after that and would not get up to go. Maybe Tae Kwon Do won't be his thing- but the philosophy of self control, respect, focus, confidence- those are the exact areas I want to target with him! Wish us luck.

I heard that the WDW hours have been posted for August, but Touring Plans still has it listed as projected hours. I am currently helping 3 friends with their WDW/DCL planning. ADR time is quickly approaching and we have some decisions to make. It looks like my parents are certainly joining us for one part of the trip as well as my sister who is visiting today. Maybe a skype meeting is in order for later!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #28
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

The first full week after such a long break (made even more nutty with the weather!) is usually hectic. I work part-time and the day goes by faster but it felt like I walked into the office and within 2 blinks I was ready to leave! Hopefully your situation will get better this week.

I don't think you are being mean with your assessment about Tae Kwan Doe. You know your son and know what his strengths/weaknesses are. I'm sure you will eventually find what works.

I haven't had a chance to look at the hours. Odds are they will be changed as time gets closer so I'm not feeling overly rushed to check.

So next year (2015) I turn the big 4-0 and told DBF I want to go on an all-inclusive beach vacation (wanted to since DD5 was 3 but then had DD2 and there went that idea. lol) The problem is that since we didn't go on a family vacation last summer due to buying the house, he may not want to wait an extra year to take one. I'm going to suggest possibly reversing the trips....beach this summer and Disney next year (since he won't be joining us). I haven't broached the subject yet so let's see what happens.

Hope you are having a good weekend so far!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #29
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The first full week after such a long break (made even more nutty with the weather!) is usually hectic. I work part-time and the day goes by faster but it felt like I walked into the office and within 2 blinks I was ready to leave! Hopefully your situation will get better this week. I don't think you are being mean with your assessment about Tae Kwan Doe. You know your son and know what his strengths/weaknesses are. I'm sure you will eventually find what works. I haven't had a chance to look at the hours. Odds are they will be changed as time gets closer so I'm not feeling overly rushed to check. So next year (2015) I turn the big 4-0 and told DBF I want to go on an all-inclusive beach vacation (wanted to since DD5 was 3 but then had DD2 and there went that idea. lol) The problem is that since we didn't go on a family vacation last summer due to buying the house, he may not want to wait an extra year to take one. I'm going to suggest possibly reversing the trips....beach this summer and Disney next year (since he won't be joining us). I haven't broached the subject yet so let's see what happens. Hope you are having a good weekend so far!
Thanks!

A postponed/canceled Disney trip is sad, but an all inclusive beach vacation is amazing! Would you all go together or just the two of you? Tom and I never honeymooned because we bought a house right away. I would love to do something just the two of us but I never want to leave my kids when I have off and it's not like we would take two vacations so I don't want to leave them out of a vacation. It now looks like my parents and sister are coming for the whole Disney vacation so maybe they will grant Tom and I a little alone time!

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Well I stand corrected! TJ showed a lot of progress at Tae Kwon Do this week! He put the uniform on- entered the class area with Auntie to watch and PARTICIPATED for the second half of the class! I'm still not convinced that it will be his "thing" but I think it will be a good experience.

In Disney news we had a Skype meeting yesterday and it was decided that Grammy, Pop Pop and Auntie will be joining us for the entire trip- joining rooms at Pop though I started toying with the idea if a 2 bedroom villa but it would still cost everyone more, a day was added to the resort- so 8 days now, and instead of 5 day passes Pop Pop wanted 7 day passes since they aren't that much more and will allow a lot of flexibility. I am excited to have more days in the parks but nervous that we will then feel the need to go to a park every day and we really enjoyed our nothing day last year. We are driving and they are flying. Grammy and Pop Pop swear the dining plan price increased from what they spent last year so they did not purchase that again, but as we narrow down our dining we will look again to see if we would do better with the dining or not. Obviously my plan of leaving a vacation in the cart on the website did not work to get us a free dining code email

July 2012 Disney Fantasy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: