Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Life is Nifty, Lee turns 50. Who is coming to the Party?

Life is Nifty, Lee turns 50. Who is coming to the Party?

Okay. Here is the start to a pre-trippy. My goal is to get this one done. Okay, let me tell you about this trip and introduce the characters.

My name is Lee. I love all things Disney and I am overdue for a trip. I really love DCL but after my last cruise I am very afraid of cruising as the aftermath of the cruise resulted in a flair of a chronic health issue I have. I last cruised in December 2012 and am finally able to think about taking care of my Disney fix.

I currently live in Southwest Virginia, I am a nurse that works Labor and Delivery and work on a busy unit in a hospital that is about 1 hour and 15 minutes away from where I live. I live with my mother who is 79 and has early Alzheimer’s. She may not be able to keep up with her checkbook balance or know people from her past but she has not forgotten one thing, her love for Disney.
The last year and a half has been trying and so I wanted to do something fun. My best friend has a daughter who will turn 20 in October, my God daughter Morgan. Morgan is fun loving, sometimes too serious for her own good. She is currently working two jobs this summer. She is a student at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA and loving it. Morgan when she turned 18 decided she was giving her Mom and I a 50th birthday party together probably in May 2015 between my birthday and her Mom’s 50th in September 2015. Morgan loves dance and even though she is not my biological child, she does take one thing after me—her love for Disney.
I celebrated a birthday in Disney after graduating with my Bachelor’s in Nursing in December 1993. I went to Disney in January 1994 leaving on New Year’s Day I think (I can’t remember—hey I am getting older!) I’ve wanted to do that again. I have wanted Morgan to have a Disney Birthday Celebration. Morgan turns 20 in October and Mom will be 80 in April 2015. Well if you all think the way I do, we should all celebrate 0 Birthdays at Disney!!

So when should this party commence? Morgan has from Mid-December to January 12 as her Winter Holiday from college. Well, Morgan needs to come. This is a very easy decision. When she is done school, she will be in the real world and taking vacations with me won’t be easy. For the last several year’s instead of giving her gift’s for birthday’s, Christmas, etc. I have given her a trip with me. The first of these trips was in 2007 and was an Alaskian Cruise. In 2012 for her 18th Birthday and early graduation present, we went on the Disney Fantasy the week before Christmas. I decided that we all should be home for Christmas partly because she really likes to spend Christmas with her families (her parents have been divorced since she was 4.) I also can have limited PTO days over the Christmas holidays. I worked New Year’s Eve and day last year. Why not leave New Year’s Day and take advantage of the 1st week of the year . So that is when we are going. January 1st 2015.

CAST
The cast of characters has changed in the last 3 months. This trip was born in January 2014 around my last birthday. Since then those wanting to celebrate with me has changed.
The main characters include me. I am Lee and as you know by now I will turn 50 in January 2015. January 4th, 2015 to be exact. I love all things Disney including DCL and WDW and DL. I have been to WDW over 10 times with my first trip in 1976 with my family. I have been on two Disney cruises and to Disneyland in 2008. Morgan and one of her friends went with us to California. This was a great trip.

This is me from the California trip in Disneyland.

Mom and her current beau from our Fantasy Cruise. My dad has been dead 10 years and Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2006. Mom is able to stay at home while I work and my brother and his girlfriend live within walking distance. One of her favorite things to do is help me plan Disney trips.

Princess Morgan
Next up: The Plans: RPR, The Darkside before Animals galore!!
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
LuvEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Saving for installments

Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

The Plans RPR. The Dark Side Before Animals Galore!

I am falling oh so behind in updating so here is more.

The Plans: RPR, The Dark side before Animals Galore!!
I started planning in January. The idea was to leave Jan 1 2015-leaving before the partiers wake up and then arriving in Florida before 8 pm or so. More on the traveling.

The traveling party had lots of interest from family members but no one took the nibbles. Because I want to travel on the 1st, my best friend cannot be off of work the first full week of the year. My best friend is Morgan’s mother. Guess she wont have the week with her child. Morgan has to move back inot her dorm after winter break on January 12 so we want to be home by the 9th if possible..
Dates of trip-January 1-9th 2015.

How to get to Florida
So the travel party is 3. Mom, Morgan and I.
How do we get 3 of us to Florida? We usually fly as it is 11 hours in a car. However it will cost a lot less to drive than to fly into Sanford and rent a car. Mom travels with a wheelchair. It is much simpler at times to drive to the park than to ride the bus. We also get closer to the park entrance at times with handicapped parking than where the resort buses let out. I have done both and will probably do both this time.
So we will drive. Morgan is becoming a great driver so I will have a second driver for the trip down. Morgan’s mom is off January 1 so she has agreed to bring Morgan to me about 5-6 am in January 1. (Morgan lives over an hour away from us) Mom and Morgan both sleep well in the car. So I would like to get Morgan and Mom tucked in to sleep a while and drive until 9-10 then stop to eat. Once Mom wakes up, we will get her out of the car to at least walk around it every hour to hour and one half. Even stopping fot 2-3 meal breaks and at least 1 potty break, we should make it to Maitland or Deland by 8 pm even with all the breaks.

Here is where I need your help. For all you readers that live in Maryland, Virginia and North and South Carolina, I need some help. I see too routes to go from my house. 220 s to 73 to 95 to I 4 or 220 to 85 to 77 to 26 to 95. The second route is more western. The second route is 1 minute more than the first. Anyone go either way and have comments.
The reason for driving-one work, cheaper. I have a Nissan Rogue and have the all wheel drive for winter driving if needed. I have plenty of room for the chair and I can drive round trip for the same amount of money I could rent a car in Sanford. This is excluding the flights Down and back for 3 and the cost of luggage fees.

Next up: Where to Stay and Life in the Dark Side

Last edited by LuvEeyore; 09-01-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: addition needed
Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Where to Stay

Where to stay.
I looked at places to stay and was down to two places to stay.
Drury Inn and Suites or Royal Pacific Resort
After checking out Touring Plans predictions of Universals attendance on Jan. 2 and 3rd, 2015, I decided we would want Park to Park with Express Passes with Mom. This would minimize the amount of time we left Mom parked people watching and Morgan and I riding roller coasters and also minimize time in lines to allow longer rest breaks for Mom.

Any guesses which won out?

Yes Royal Pacific won out for one night.
Advantages
1) Location!! Location!!
2) Express pass for the two days
3) Early Entry
4) Ability to check in very early and use hotel perks from check in until park close on day of check out
Disadvantages
1) Cost(wasn’t any when I calculated the cost of the express pass)
2) Have to pay 20 dollars per day of parking
3) No meals included
We are staying at Royal Pacific on January 2, 2015. The plan is to get as close to Universal as possible on Jan 1 then get up early and check in early am at Royal Pacific Resort the hit the parks until our room is ready.
Plans for Universal are very flexible at this point. What we know is that Mom and I have not ever been to Universal so this is new for us. Morgan has been to both Universal and IOA. We will utilize the walk and boat ride. We will eat in the parks and at City walk and maybe the hotel. We would love to hear your suggestions of places to eat.

What we know priorities for us include:
Hogwarts
Diagon Alley
SuessVille
Seeing the Macy’s Parade
Everything else we can fit including roller coasters

We will have 2 day park to park tickets and be in Universal on Jan 2 and 3, 2015.

Up next: Animals Galore!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: