Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #46
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbabes View Post
So you all convinced me to consider CR. I went on to price the garden room- thinking this would be the best option for us and it's totally booked!
I'm starting to think this trip isn't meant to be! I wish I wasn't so picky.
Go online and check day by day reservations. It will take a few minutes, but it will let you know which day(s) aren't available. Sometimes it is nay one day at the beginning or end of your trip that isn't available. You can book what is available and continue to try to get your other date(s). Availability does change all the time. You can book the missing dates at the WL for now. Alternatively, you can still go with the WL for all dates if it is available and switch if the CR comes available later.

Sometimes hotel availability makes the decision for you……..

Wherever you stay, have a wonderful vacation! All the MK resorts are lovely in their own way.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #47
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereForMinnie View Post
Which days did you choose? Are your dates flexible? Most people checkout on Sunday and check-in on Friday. I've found that playing around with dates helps a lot when I'm trying to find an opening. Also, it may be harder to book an entire week as opposed to four or five days.
I agree about playing around with dates. We have found that tacking on extra days before/after our actual dates at the resort we want yields availability. We make the reservation and then just call back to cancel the extra nights we do not need. Worth a try!
YC GV- January 2015, GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #48
Arenita
Are we there yet?

If I don't stay deluxe, I stay at Fort Wilderness Cabins...and I love that resort just as much as the deluxes. Very peaceful, serene setting with nice playgrounds (and pony rides). There is a separate bedroom for naptimes and it's only a boat ride from MK. It's a moderate, so is less costly. There is the issue of the internal buses and I can see a problem there with two young children. I have always rented a golf cart...

That said, I did thoroughly enjoy my stay at the Contemporary!

Good luck with your decision!

Apr 86 DL...Sep 93 WDW Off-site...Nov 05 WDW Off-site...May 07 POFQ '50th B-day'!...Aug 08 Poly 'We survived TS Fay'~Hawaii Upgrade!...Aug 09 GF 'P-O-S-H Trip'~Lagoon View upgrade!...Jun 10 FWC 'Gathering of the Princesses'~1st Road Trip...Dec 10 CR 'ChiChi's Very Merry Birthday Party'...Aug 11 FWC 'FACES@TheFort' ~Road Trip #2...Dec 11 YC 'Occupy Main Street USA'~First solo trip!...Jul 12 SSR 'TrulyEpicAdventure.4.3'~Road Trip #3...Jun13 FWC 'Stitch's Great Escape XIII'~Road Trip #4...Sep 13 BWI 'Spidercuzzins Not So Scary F&WF'...Dec 13 WL 'Chillin' Christmas'...Feb 14 AKL 'Jambo Junket'~Solo Trip #2...Apr 14 BC 'Flower Power!'~Solo Trip #3...Sep 14 BWI 'Diva-licious Magic'...Nov 14 WL 'Lodge Tree-t'...Jan 15 AKL 'Where I'm Going?'
Arenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #49
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

The one thing I would say about GW at CR, to me- you lose much of the 'convenience' of being on the monorail line. If you are not on the first floor of your building, you need to get out of the GW building (elevator?) then walk to the main building, take the elevator to the 4rth floor, then the second elevator or the escalator (it will be elevator if you have a stroller).

Coming back it will be the same thing.

the resort monorail goes CR - to TTC - Poly- Gf- MK. So if you are going to Epcot, Cr is best. If you are taking monorail from the resort- you are better off walking. From Poly, many folks just walk to TTC.

Tower rooms at CR are no bargain this spring- if Poly and GF prices are part of your concern. But I don't think the CR elevators are slow. Sure the 4th floor gets a little busy, but that's about it.

One tidbit for WL- if you want to get to MK quickly, take the bus instead of the boat. the boat is more fun, but the (MK) bus is faster. We usually go TO MK via bus, and return by boat. Buses to other parks are about the same as any Wdw resort.

That said, given the additional info you've provided, and assuming a rental car doesn't interest you- then Ft WL or YC are your best bets. If you want convenience and quiet, you can't beat YC.

And still...if price is a consideration- take a look at the Swan and Dolphin- esp with discounts. They are very pretty, qualify for EMH, have the same transportation/boats as the Epcot Disney hotels, offer great discount rates (about $200 per night), nice rooms. they even have package delivery!
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #50
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
I agree about playing around with dates. We have found that tacking on extra days before/after our actual dates at the resort we want yields availability. We make the reservation and then just call back to cancel the extra nights we do not need. Worth a try!
This is what I was going to suggest. Not sure why it happens this way, but sometimes adding a day or two at the beginning and/or end of the dates you want will show availability when your specific dates are showing no availability. If a longer stay is available, book that and then cancel the night(s) you don't need. If this doesn't work, I would keep trying as sometimes availability does change. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #51
TJA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbabes View Post
So you all convinced me to consider CR. I went on to price the garden room- thinking this would be the best option for us and it's totally booked!
I'm starting to think this trip isn't meant to be! I wish I wasn't so picky.
I would keep trying for CR wing room -- change your dates around if possible. If that doesn't work, then I'd try out the BC. I know you spend a bulk of your time at MK, but I wonder if you stayed at BC if you'd try more things in Epcot due to the proximity? We have always loved Epcot the best, kids included, since they were toddlers right up until today at 9 yrs old. Also, you mentioned loving a peaceful-type trip -- the Epcot resort area is exactly that. I can remember our first time going thru the International Gateway and it felt like a different world when we saw the boardwalk and Epcot resorts. Just a tidbit -- if your family is similar to ours, we used to walk thru Epcot just to take the monorail to MK. This is by all means NOT the quickest route, so please don't think it's a shortcut. It's just that we didn't love buses with our double jogger, and we enjoyed taking our time, so the walk thru Epcot was perfect for us.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #52
toodycat
DIS Veteran

When DS was little, we really appreciated the monorail and the ability to leave MK for midday nap and swim time. We usually stayed at the GF, but in late August or September when there is a big discount. In recent years, we have spent as little as $285 for a GF garden view room during those months. I've stayed at the Poly during construction and found it very noisy---so much so that we didn't use our balcony. I've never stayed at CR, but if you can't get a room there, you might want to consider BC or AKL. If you didn't like WL, I am not sure how you would feel about AKL which is architecturally very similar, but if your kids love animals, it's s very appealing resort. We love AKL and the transportation issue is solved if you take the savings from not staying on the monorail and use it to rent a car. Also, we stayed at BC this summer and it was great---very child friendly and the pool is excellent for small kids. My only objection is that you can't see the slide entrance from the pool, so you would have to walk smaller children to the slide. Honestly, the BC bus to MK was not that bad and it ran frequently. My all-time favorite resort is the GF, so I would recommend playing with dates or discounts to book the GF if possible. If that's not an option, consider the AKL or BC.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #53
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodycat View Post
When DS was little, we really appreciated the monorail and the ability to leave MK for midday nap and swim time. We usually stayed at the GF, but in late August or September when there is a big discount. In recent years, we have spent as little as $285 for a GF garden view room during those months. I've stayed at the Poly during construction and found it very noisy---so much so that we didn't use our balcony. I've never stayed at CR, but if you can't get a room there, you might want to consider BC or AKL. If you didn't like WL, I am not sure how you would feel about AKL which is architecturally very similar, but if your kids love animals, it's s very appealing resort. We love AKL and the transportation issue is solved if you take the savings from not staying on the monorail and use it to rent a car. Also, we stayed at BC this summer and it was great---very child friendly and the pool is excellent for small kids. My only objection is that you can't see the slide entrance from the pool, so you would have to walk smaller children to the slide. Honestly, the BC bus to MK was not that bad and it ran frequently. My all-time favorite resort is the GF, so I would recommend playing with dates or discounts to book the GF if possible. If that's not an option, consider the AKL or BC.
I love GF as well but even during value season, and with a 35% discount, a garden view room is about $350 after taxes (compared to BC's garden view which is $268).

But I do agree that we're also becoming more of an Epcot family. It's just so calm in that park and I don't feel like everyone is on top of us. I can't stand MK's narrow Main St and trying to squeeze past the parades and fireworks crowds. I like the openness of Epcot.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #54
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

One more tidbit to consider:

Starting January 21, 2014, service on the Magic Kingdom Resort and Express monorails will be unavailable on weekdays between 11:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. to allow for planned maintenance. This schedule will run through the end of March 2014.

So if you end up at a monorail resort before the end of March keep this in mind.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: