Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 AM   #31
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

I'm with those who say give CR a chance. We have stayed GF RPC, Poly and CR. We love them all for various reasons.

While the CR decor may not appeal, the hotel has lots going for it. With very young children, there is nothing better than being able to walk back and forth to MK with the kids in their strollers. We had a garden wing garden view room with patio. Our room looked out on a pretty group of trees with Spanish moss. The room was very roomy and comfortable. The rooms are larger and more comfortable than the GF rooms IMO.

We loved the patio. Every once in a while, a bunny would come hopping by, which delighted our boys. And if you dread the noise and confusion of Chef Mickey's and the busy lobby, you avoid much of that when you are in the garden wing. One other plus is CR has really good and convenient parking if you have a car. While I don't love the modern decor, the other things are so great I don't even notice the decor. We loved CR and would absolutely stay there again.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #32
hill6
DIS Veteran

Staying at the Beach Club two Christmases in a row helped us to appreciate Epcot. We would avoid it before those stays. Now it is a key part of our vacation.

Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani May 5-10 Savannah View Studio
hill6 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #33
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the great feedback!
Just to give you some more info and answer some of your questions:

We stayed at the Poly 2 yrs ago with a 40% room discount. Even if we were willing to deal with the construction this year I'm not sure we could afford Poly again either. I believe the discount is only going to be 25-30%. This would still be cheaper than GF though which is only going to be offering a 20% discount and is more & to begin with. BLT, by the way, has an even smaller discount.

We typically start our days very early and head back to the resort midday for a break. Then start again late afternoon. This is one of the main reasons we love the monorail because it does save a lot of time and aggravation.

You have all certainly got me considering the CR but I am a little confused about the two bldg choices. Which is the better option?

When I'm on vacation I like a serene, quiet setting- especially because we often have midday naps and go to bed a little earlier then many families. If there were a lot of hustle and bustle I think we'd be miserable. Also, I read some reviews saying that while the proximity to Mk is amazing the nightly fireworks can get very annoying for those that go to bed early or have little ones.

I'm feeling like given all the options it sounds like I'll need to give WL another try!
aprilbabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #34
Belle'sFan
Mouseketeer

If you are reconsidering the WL, maybe think about a cabin at FW? Very serene there and you don't even have to worry about neighboring rooms.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #35
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbabes View Post
Thank you all for the great feedback! Just to give you some more info and answer some of your questions: We stayed at the Poly 2 yrs ago with a 40% room discount. Even if we were willing to deal with the construction this year I'm not sure we could afford Poly again either. I believe the discount is only going to be 25-30%. This would still be cheaper than GF though which is only going to be offering a 20% discount and is more & to begin with. BLT, by the way, has an even smaller discount. We typically start our days very early and head back to the resort midday for a break. Then start again late afternoon. This is one of the main reasons we love the monorail because it does save a lot of time and aggravation. You have all certainly got me considering the CR but I am a little confused about the two bldg choices. Which is the better option? When I'm on vacation I like a serene, quiet setting- especially because we often have midday naps and go to bed a little earlier then many families. If there were a lot of hustle and bustle I think we'd be miserable. Also, I read some reviews saying that while the proximity to Mk is amazing the nightly fireworks can get very annoying for those that go to bed early or have little ones. I'm feeling like given all the options it sounds like I'll need to give WL another try!
If you hadn't stayed at the WL last year, I would suggest that-- but I think it would be great for you to give a new resort a chance! I totally understand your Poly/GF cost issues and, given your interest in a serene atmosphere, would recommend the CR garden wing over the tower. We prefer being in the middle of it all in the tower, but the noise from the restaurants below can be an issue. The garden wing, on the other hand, is its own separate building and looks out over the canal/pool area/trees. Much quieter and still only a 10-min walk to the MK or a 3-min walk to the Tower.
GF- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF- December 2011, AKL & GF- February 2007, BWI- February 2006, AKL- February 2005, Polynesian- February 2004, WL & Polynesian- November 2002, BC- February 2002, CR- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #36
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
If you hadn't stayed at the WL last year, I would suggest that-- but I think it would be great for you to give a new resort a chance! I totally understand your Poly/GF cost issues and, given your interest in a serene atmosphere, would recommend the CR garden wing over the tower. We prefer being in the middle of it all in the tower, but the noise from the restaurants below can be an issue. The garden wing, on the other hand, is its own separate building and looks out over the canal/pool area/trees. Much quieter and still only a 10-min walk to the MK or a 3-min walk to the Tower.
Do you have access to all of the amenities in the garden wing or do you need to go to the tower to eat, shop, etc? Are the garden wing rooms updated? I know I soundest remedy difficult but were still paying deluxe prices and I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth! We spend so much more time and money planning a DW trip so I want to make sure we're making the right choice. Unfortunately out first trip was to the poly and was absolutely wonderful so it's a tough act to follow!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #37
Gillyrose779
Mouseketeer

I just went in Sept with our 2 and 4 year olds - we LOVED the epcot resorts.

1. My kids are HUGE Disney Jr. fans and HS is only place you are going to get that. They loved the Disney JR. show and we ate at Hollywood Vine & Dine- the most interactive Character meet and greet by far!- dancing and a conga line by all the characters-

2. B/C my kids are young Epcot ended up being the most relaxing place for them- they loved the "big ball" ride and the Mexico and Norway ride was just right- Innovations is really nice too. Epcot is not overstimulating like MK can be. They loved MK too but Epcot seemed so much more relaxing.

3. you really can't beat being able to walk to two parks (Epcot and HS). We got the hopper so we just walked through Epcot and took the monorail whenever we wanted to go to MK. We only needed the bus for AK. When we were tired we took the bus back from MK but it was nice to have a choice.

4. if you have to go back b/c one of the kids are napping or if the kids go to bed early and one of you gets antsy you can't beat the entertainment from the Boardwalk- so much to look at and do! Also, if napping during the day time, you can request and lower level with pool view and sit on your patio pretty much right on the pool.

5. I was worried my kids would be scared of the clown at Boardwalk pool but they loved it- my 4 year old started going down the slide all by himself- it was great. and you can't beat the sand bottom pool at BeachClub or their character breakfast at Cape May either- fantastic

Every family is diff. but, for us, the Epcot resorts made so much sense and our vacation was so much better b/c of it
Gillyrose779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #38
Gillyrose779
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to add that I feel like people going with kids think MK is the only way to go but give Epcot a chance- def. for the little ones. Epcot has so much to offer and can make for a very relaxing trip.
Gillyrose779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #39
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Do you have access to all of the amenities in the garden wing or do you need to go to the tower to eat, shop, etc? Are the garden wing rooms updated? I know I soundest remedy difficult but were still paying deluxe prices and I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth! We spend so much more time and money planning a DW trip so I want to make sure we're making the right choice. Unfortunately out first trip was to the poly and was absolutely wonderful so it's a tough act to follow!
All of the eating and shopping is in the tower, which you will have to walk into to take the monorail as well. The recreational amenities (e.g. pool, boat rentals, etc) are closer to the garden wing than the tower. The garden wing gives you more serenity, but the main reason the tower is more expensive is because of the room views and the proximity to the amenities you mentioned. Just comes down to which experience you prefer having! The rooms are exactly the same in the tower and garden wing-- just the location and room views differ.
GF- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF- December 2011, AKL & GF- February 2007, BWI- February 2006, AKL- February 2005, Polynesian- February 2004, WL & Polynesian- November 2002, BC- February 2002, CR- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #40
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just to give you some more info and answer some of your questions:

We stayed at the Poly 2 yrs ago with a 40% room discount. Even if we were willing to deal with the construction this year I'm not sure we could afford Poly again either. I believe the discount is only going to be 25-30%. This would still be cheaper than GF though which is only going to be offering a 20% discount and is more & to begin with. BLT, by the way, has an even smaller discount.

We typically start our days very early and head back to the resort midday for a break. Then start again late afternoon. This is one of the main reasons we love the monorail because it does save a lot of time and aggravation.

You have all certainly got me considering the CR but I am a little confused about the two bldg choices. Which is the better option?

When I'm on vacation I like a serene, quiet setting- especially because we often have midday naps and go to bed a little earlier then many families. If there were a lot of hustle and bustle I think we'd be miserable. Also, I read some reviews saying that while the proximity to Mk is amazing the nightly fireworks can get very annoying for those that go to bed early or have little ones.

I'm feeling like given all the options it sounds like I'll need to give WL another try!
I would give the WL another try or try the CR. The CR has never appealed to us, but after doing a lot of research, it is starting to appeal to me and we are going to try it later this year. With that said, I think the CR GW or WL would be a great choice for a quiet atmosphere .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
I agree . If you want to be in the middle of everything, the tower is the place to stay. If you want to be away from the hustle and bustle, the GW would be the better choice.

Quote:
The only thing about the GW is that you do have to go to the tower for dining, shopping, etc. But, as others have said, the GW does provide a more quiet atmosphere as it's away from the hustle and bustle of the tower and is just a short walk to the tower for all of the amenities of the resort .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #41
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We do WDW the same way. Early and late with hotel in the middle.

Last fall we were booked at the Poly when we learned of coming construction. With a 10 month old and a three year old we needed quiet for naps and early bed times. I didn't want to risk construction noise making mid day rest times and early evenings at the resort a night mare. We were very unhappy feeling that we had to move from the POLY. The Poly was what we wanted in a hotel. None of the others fit just right.
We looked at the GF first, but the price for the rooms we wanted were very high and discounts for our room type weren't available anymore or were too low to help much. I have stayed at WL and loved it there, but the rooms are relatively small and dark and we need some space with sleeping children and to relax ourselves. I didn't want to stay at the CR, but it was the only option that fit our primary requirements.

SO, We chose the CR last Nov for the same reason of needing a place to nap little ones and to have a nice place to be when they went to bed early. The baby slept through the fireworks no problem. With the patio doors closed I don't remember the fireworks as being particularly noisy. You hear the fireworks from the GF, Poly and Epcot resorts as well so I am used to hearing them when staying in WDW. I didn't notice any unusually louder noise from them even in TPV tower rooms. You are close to the MK, but not right on top of the fireworks. There is some distance to the CR, especially to the GW. If the noise from fireworks is a deal breaker, however, then the WL is probably your best bet. It is the furthest away from the MK of all the MK resorts.

The monorail saves time and aggravation, but walking to your resort saves even more time and aggravation - especially these days when the monorail often has its own delays, closures and breakdowns. Imagine leaving the MK at the end of the day and not having to wait in line at all, but being able to be in your room by the time most others are still waiting for their monorail, boat or bus to come pick them up. Imagine walking out of your hotel room door and 10 minutes later you are in the MK!! Not just at a boat or monorail or bus stop, but actually IN the MK!! It is a wonderful feeling to just go with no waiting at all.

I have stayed in the garden wing and in the main building. Which room type option at the CR is better depends upon what you are looking for in the resort.

1. The garden wing is a separate building from the tower just like most of the buildings with rooms are separate at the GF and all the buildings are separate at the Poly. One major difference is that the walkway from the CR tower to GW is covered so that you don't need to get wet in the rain. If you don't have a problem staying in the Poly or the GF, then staying in the GR garden wing is no more hardship and is much closer to the main building than many rooms are to the Poly or GF main building.

2. There is a possibility that you will get an upper floor room without a balcony. However, that is a possibility at the Poly as well and at a higher price tag.

3. The theming is not as exotic as WL or as elegant as GF but the CR is also much more comfortable, IMO. The rooms are huge, the lighting excellent, the decor is chic and very tasteful, the views are lovely even from garden rooms and the beds so comfortable! The rooms are so much nicer than the small dark rooms at WL (IMO). These rooms are where you live and rest. It is so nice for them to be spacious and comfortable. the victorian decor at the GF is a little 'fussy' or 'grandmotherly' for the taste of many. Rooms at the CR have an almost universal appeal.

4. garden wing rooms have the guest laundry in the GW with them. Very convenient if you have little ones and need a load washed every now and then.

5. the GW garden view rooms are very tranquil with lovely views of trees, grassy areas, pool and Bay lake. If you want peaceful, it doesn't get much better than this.

6. garden wing rooms are convenient to the pool and grounds of the CR. Request a patio and hopefully you will have a very nice area to sit while babies are napping.

7. Tower rooms are the rooms that create the WOW!!! feeling in the CR. They are fun to be in because they have an amazing view. The entire end of your room looks out over the entire MK area or over a peaceful beautiful lake. Stunning! If views from your room make a difference to you, the view from these rooms are incomparable IMO. While the simple a frame design makes the CR look plain, it also ensures that all rooms have a great view of the MK or Bay lake area. Nice not having to worry about getting the room that has its view blocked by trees or the other buildings at the resort.

8. Tower rooms require using the elevators which are very busy. With lots of people waiting, getting on can be frustrating. Walking to the garden wing suddenly seems like a good idea when you have missed 2 elevators because people without strollers were able to push ahead of you easily. (Rude people are everywhere, it seems). Eventually you do get on, however.

9. The amount of time to get from a tower room to the restaurants vs from a GW room is probably not much different. You are talking maybe 3 - 5 minutes? It simply never felt far to us either way.

10.The noise and excitement of the monorail and Chef Mickey's never had any impact upon us in our rooms. We heard absolutely nothing from either one in our rooms. Very quiet and peaceful. We were on a very high floor so that might make a difference. If you are worried, I'd request a room as high as possible and away from Chef Mickey's.

11.transportation is ideal. You have monorail access to the MK, Epcot and MK resorts. You have boat access to the WL and FW from your resort. You also have all the MK buses to all the other resorts just a 5-7 min walk away, so you can even bus to the BC and walk into the international gateway to easily get to WS in Epcot.

The WL is very nice for the price and the theming is beautiful. However, if you stayed there before and weren't really excited about it, I would tend to try something new. Just my opinion, of course.

From what you have said it seems like a ground floor garden wing garden view room in the CR would be an excellent alternative to the Poly. You would have a large bright comfortable room on the monorail, but also walking distance to the MK - all for a good price for that location. Take a look at some pics online and see what you think of the CR. You really need to stay there to know if you like it or not for sure.

Good luck choosing! I well remember how difficult a choice it was for us.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #42
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you are at MK every day, the most convenient thing you can do is go ahead and stay at an MK area resort, despite the fact that the one you like has construction and you don't really like any of the others.

Once you move out of that area, you're talking buses to and from MK. Don't know how inconvenient the buses will be for you, but you could try anywhere else if you don't mind taking buses. Unless you're going to have a car, and even then the parking situation at MK makes it less convenient for guests driving than the other parks.

Contemporary is the most convenient of all for MK fans, seeing as you have the ability to walk to and from MK and not take any transportation whatsoever.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #43
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

So you all convinced me to consider CR. I went on to price the garden room- thinking this would be the best option for us and it's totally booked!
I'm starting to think this trip isn't meant to be! I wish I wasn't so picky.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #44
syp4dis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So you all convinced me to consider CR. I went on to price the garden room- thinking this would be the best option for us and it's totally booked! I'm starting to think this trip isn't meant to be! I wish I wasn't so picky.
Keep calling the reservation line, don't just go by the online site. Room availabilities often change by the day. Good luck!

2014 GF/CR
2011 Yacht Club,
2009 Poly
2005 GF
2003 WL

2003 Swan
1977 Offsite
syp4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #45
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So you all convinced me to consider CR. I went on to price the garden room- thinking this would be the best option for us and it's totally booked!
I'm starting to think this trip isn't meant to be! I wish I wasn't so picky.
Which days did you choose? Are your dates flexible? Most people checkout on Sunday and check-in on Friday. I've found that playing around with dates helps a lot when I'm trying to find an opening. Also, it may be harder to book an entire week as opposed to four or five days.
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: