Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
If Poly construction is a deal breaker and the GF is too pricy (that was our feeling last trip) then the CR is a good option.
Nothing against the CR, but a TPV room in the Tower costs more than an outer building room at the GF. A BLV Tower room is about the same money as an OB room at the GF also. Something for the OP to consider.
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #17
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

You also just wing it and stay at the Poly anyhow. Honestly, I've stayed several times at resorts with construction, and generally it was no big deal. The only thing that could happen is that the monorail might be down, but that is going to happen no matter which monorail resort you pick. They will allow you to use the pool at another resort...both GF and CR have very nice locker rooms to change/dry hair, etc.

Beyond that, none of us can convince you to go against your heart. You could do a split stay, and try the Epcot resorts for part (or all ) of your stay. If you do though, it would of course make sense to spend a little extra time taking advantage of the proximity to Epcot and the World Showcase for food.

I know you say you spend quite a bit of time at Poly and MK - but maybe that's because you've only stayed there. MK IS convenient to Poly, but Epcot and the Epcot area resorts have the best food options. From BC, say, it's just a very short walk to all the options in the World Showcase! Lots of Quick and Table serve options. From MK area resort, the WS is a LONG trek. So maybe part of why did not spend time there was it was too far away.

Plus, the whole Boardwalk area is very nice at night.

I dunno, for us part of the fun of our trips to Wdw is to mix it up a little.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbabes View Post
We are a MK family. With a 2 and 4 yr old we definitely spend most of our time there. We plan on visiting this spring. Poly will have construction, GF is insanely expensive, the contemporary doesn't appeal to us at all, and although the WL is lovely, we stayed there last year and didn't love it.
So, we can't decide where to stay. We can go back to WL since it's close to MK or we could venture over to an Epcot deluxe like the BC. Although I think we'd like the theming at the Epcot resorts as well as there proximity to Epcot, I'm concerned that we'd regret staying so far from MK.
I would greatly appreciate any input!
I'm laughing because I feel as if I could have written this a week ago. I was discussing this very thing with my husband and son. We love the MK area. We won't stay at WL and we won't stay at Poly with the construction.

Like someone else said, the price between a Poly room and a GF room is pretty similar. The Poly is definitely not cheap. I would consider the Grand. It's a beautiful resort and I like the theme park view there more than the Poly beach view.

I have no interest in the Contemporary because of the utter chaos I always see when I'm visiting there. I don't want to hear Chef Mickey's or the monorail crowds. Bay Lake Tower is very pretty but I don't want to leave my building to go next door to CR just to get to a restaurant.

I don't think you'll regret CR but it seems as though you would enjoy GF more.

If you want to save $$$ you can always start at an Epcot resort and end at GF. That way you can do your Epcot and Studio days and then finish up at MK.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #19
Suz725
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Poly in October and the construction is no big deal. We didnt hear anything and the only time we noticed it was walking to the TTC.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #20
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know when the Poly pool is opening back up? The poster is going over spring break. No pool, or having to be shuttled to another pool, is a deal breaker for me.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

The pool I don't think will be down until may now, it will just depend on how much of the construction they are doing the main building. The dvc construction is on one side of the property.

Otherwise I'd go gf.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #22
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky946 View Post
The pool I don't think will be down until may.
Thank you.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #23
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

We are DVC members and will always do a split stay at the BLT and BW. From the Epcot resorts it takes about 20-27 minutes to get to MK. You will share with the swan/ dolphin and sometimes with the Bc/YC for 5 stops. Traveling home the buses are so crowded and you have to wait and breathe in all the exhaust from the buses. Nothing beats the cont or BLT for being close to the MK. You can take the monorail or it's about a 7 min walk. The cont looks cold, but the view is amazing!!! Especially at night. On the other side you have the serenity of the lake with the wilderness....very relaxing....

I love the Epcot resorts for the atmosphere, but love the rooms at the BLT. Although the studio rooms at the BLT are really small, so I woukd go with a regular room at cont.

I have stayed at all 3 MK resorts and I have found something to like about each one. The cont was the last one of the 3 and I loved it the most. That's why I own at the BLT.

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
Networth
DIS Veteran

Should of posted this in my first post but your kids may get a HUGE kick out of the monorail coming in the resort. I have vivid memories of our annual trips to CR Tower and watching the monorail pull in and out for hours with my cousins.

Also the Theme Park View from CR is amazing for kids. It's like having your own personal firework show every night + the electrical pageant. I love the GF now but as a kid the CR was simply amazing.

Next Trip: 12/12/14-12/20/14 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
Networth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #25
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovieMom View Post
Nothing against the CR, but a TPV room in the Tower costs more than an outer building room at the GF. A BLV Tower room is about the same money as an OB room at the GF also. Something for the OP to consider.
True. Good points to consider, for sure.
However, it doesn't hurt to also note that Main building GF is more than main building CR. plus garden wing CR is less than garden view outer building GF. If price is a concern, the GW GV rooms at CR are good value to be on the monorail.
One caveat: if you are staying in GW at the CR, there are no balconies on the second and third floors, so request a ground floor room if you would like patio. If a balcony is important, CR GW are not a good idea.

It all depends upon what you want, though. I love the GF as well. For us the GF was more expensive than the CR tower, but it may have been a result of variable discount availability.
I have stayed at GF before many times and loved it there.

With small children, the monorail resorts are, in my opinion, the best choice fr a Disney resort.
With older kids, Epcot resorts are as good or better, depending upon preferences, of course.
We moved to the YC after the CR and wish we had stayed at the CR. YC bus to MK was terrible, in our experience.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #26
Mainemama
Mouseketeer

Go with your heart... the Poly! Even if the pool is closed when you are there, looking at your kids' ages, I am guessing they are still a bit young for the volcano slide. The quiet pool will be open for a refreshing dip and you can visit the GF splash area if the pool is down! We stayed in '13 during construction, and the only noticeable impact was the occasional "ooh, look mommy, a tractor" from my 5 year old son. We are heading back, even with more construction. It is the perfect combo of theming and and easy access to parks IMHO. My back-up was the WL which we haven't tried before, but if you didn't like that, I am not sure what to say! Have fun wherever you end up!
DLR FFI 7/13
Mainemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #27
klmall
DIS Veteran

We are also MK fans and our youngest is 27! We have done CL at the Contemporary and WL (actually prefer WL's offerings) as well as a couple Polynesian stays. The Poly is our fav since DS was 6 and we like even the garden view rooms; some with monorail views that even adults enjoy. Room size is a major factor keeping us from returning to the WL unless we can get a king bed room. The Poly and Contemp are equally convenient with walking access to the TTC from the Poly and walking distance to the MK from the Contemporary so it is almost a toss-up for us. Since we rarely swim in winter Poly's big pool being out of commission has no affect on our decision. DH will not stay at the GF unless it's free!

~~~~~~~~~Bay Lake Tower, December 2014 !~~~~~~~~~
klmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Give the Contemporary a chance. You can't beat being able to walk back from MK after Wishes. It's just a great location.
I second the above. Also, I would consider a tower MK view. And then if budget allows, consider Club Level. I think a Contemporary Resort club level MK view would be a magical experience.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #29
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

I would really give the cr a chance. Also you may want to price out some gf options. I find the price differences among the monorail resorts to be pretty negligible inmost cases. Also a mk family with a 4 yr old

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015March- 6 days AKV-CL spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #30
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Give the Contemporary a chance. You can't beat being able to walk back from MK after Wishes. It's just a great location.
I second this. We were there in last May with my 5 and 6 year old, and if you are MK people, the CR is perfect. I realize some people don't find the design or theme appealing. However, we stayed in the Garden Wing and loved it. It's just a few minutes walk to the tower, and we were right by the pool. We enjoyed how the Garden Wing is surrounded by lush landscaping and has a beautiful view of the lake (perfect view of the water parade!). There is also something so fun about hearing the train whistle, and seeing the fireworks each night.

Being able to walk to the MK within 7-10 minutes is worth its weight in gold if you spend a lot of time there! After a long day, you can take that walk back to the CR, or be the first stop on the monorail.

We'd be staying there again, if not for generous friends who are letting us use their DVC points.

Best of luck with the decision!

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: