Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

Deluxe Resort Patrons- Please help!

We are a MK family. With a 2 and 4 yr old we definitely spend most of our time there. We plan on visiting this spring. Poly will have construction, GF is insanely expensive, the contemporary doesn't appeal to us at all, and although the WL is lovely, we stayed there last year and didn't love it.
So, we can't decide where to stay. We can go back to WL since it's close to MK or we could venture over to an Epcot deluxe like the BC. Although I think we'd like the theming at the Epcot resorts as well as there proximity to Epcot, I'm concerned that we'd regret staying so far from MK.
I would greatly appreciate any input!
aprilbabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbabes View Post
We are a MK family. With a 2 and 4 yr old we definitely spend most of our time there. We plan on visiting this spring. Poly will have construction, GF is insanely expensive, the contemporary doesn't appeal to us at all, and although the WL is lovely, we stayed there last year and didn't love it.
So, we can't decide where to stay. We can go back to WL since it's close to MK or we could venture over to an Epcot deluxe like the BC. Although I think we'd like the theming at the Epcot resorts as well as there proximity to Epcot, I'm concerned that we'd regret staying so far from MK.
I love the Epcot resorts. You can walk to both Epcot & DHS or take a boat. Nothing beats leaving Epcot after Illuminations and not have to wait for a bus or monorail.
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I love the Epcot resorts. You can walk to both Epcot & DHS or take a boat. Nothing beats leaving Epcot after Illuminations and not have to wait for a bus or monorail.
Yes, I know this is great but not sure how
Much we'd take advantage. Typically we spend only half a day at HS (if that much) and half day at Epcot. We are at MK almost everyday!
aprilbabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
JediBonas
DIS Veteran

We just stayed at YC (staying BC this year) and had no problem travelling back and forth to MK. In fact, one day we were hanging out at the resort and just decided mid-day to travel over to MK, no problems and didn't take long at all. I feel YC/BC is an ideal location because we loved being able to walk to two parks and kids loved SAB.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Is there a reason you find the GF prohibitively expensive (as opposed to the Poly)? The difference between a GF GV room and a Poly GV room is fairly minimal if you are that set on being in the MK area (unless, of course, there is a particular room discount that applies at the Poly and not the GF). GF GV would be my choice if you can spring for the difference. The Poly is only a walkway away and it is an opportunity to try something new.

Alternately, you might enjoy trying out a completely different resort that is a bit farther out like AKL. The resort theme is so unique and, IMO, should be experienced at least once! The restaurants at AKL are great as well.

ETA: Just realized that maybe you were not considering the Poly at all, in which case ignore the above price comparison. If you would have stayed at the Poly without construction, though, I would still consider the GF.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Networth
DIS Veteran

We love the Grand but will stay at the Contemporary if we have family going with us. For your kids I'm assuming they like MK the most so I would stick to that area.

Example: When we head to the Boardwalk we take the monorail from the Grand Floridian get off at MK and take a bus to the YC/BC/BWI. From there we can have dinner at Yachtsmen or Flying Fish, than stroll over to Epcot for desserts/drinks/illuminations than take the Epcot monorail/resort monorail back to the Grand Floridian. Wilderness Lodge is beautiful also but we are monorail snobs lol so we have only stayed there once.

Next Trip: 12/12/14-12/20/14 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
Networth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

If you are an MK family and plan on going to that park the most, nothing beats the proximety of the CR. I know you say it doesn't appeal to you, but you really never know till you try it. I've always been a GF, BW decor kind of person. The Poly & AKL were resorts I never imagined liking. I fell in love when I finally gave them a try! The CR has a lot going for it too besides location. Food options are plentiful, monorail to Epcot & other resorts, updated, nice rooms, nice pools and great boats and activities. The best thing though is being able to walk to the MK.

There are often room only or other discounts available, so you might get lucky and get a good deal!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Give the Contemporary a chance. You can't beat being able to walk back from MK after Wishes. It's just a great location.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

How flexible are your kid's sleeping schedules, and are they good park nappers?

If you're not going to be going back and forth between MK and your resort multiple times a day, an Epcot resort can be a great choice even for an MK family. Until you've stayed at one, you don't realize how awesome it is having the ability to walk to 2 parks, not having to rely on any transportation at all (unless you want to). DHS is a far walk, but it's doable IMO and quicker than the boats if you have to wait for one.

I'm not going to lie to you and say bussing to MK is no big deal, it's obviously a big change for a family used to staying at the MK resorts, but it's definitely manageable especially considering the trade off is walking 5 minutes into Epcot or 15-20 to DHS.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Give CR tower a chance!!

I felt the same way when we changed our plans from the Poly to the CR. I was really worried that I would hate staying there. This is the one resort that I looked at in amazement and wondered how they could get anyone to stay there. It was sterile in theme, concrete and felt like an airport.

Then we stayed with TPV in the tower!! WOW!! What a great feeling looking over the entire MK area, watching the monorail, wishes, boats other resorts all from your balcony! i have stayed in the Poly and GF and WL also, but never really got the WOW that I received when I walked into that CR room. I have had TPV and CL at others as well but CR is now my favourite in many ways.

I still love the Poly (Hawaii) and GF RPC, but I am surprised to say that I also enjoy the CR just as much. There are different aspects of each of these three that I like best, so I can't really pick hands down all time favourite anymore.

The only thing that WL has to recommend it against these three is a fabulous price for the location. It is a nice hotel, but it isn't in the same league as these other three. If Poly construction is a deal breaker and the GF is too pricy (that was our feeling last trip) then the CR is a good option. We liked it there not only because of the view and the convenience, but also because we actually liked the huge comfortable rooms and found the decor much more pleasant than we expected. It really does feel different when you are staying there. (or, at least it sure did to me)
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

I urge you to really try the Contemporary. You simply can not beat the location for going to and from the MK. We have stayed there several times when we had small kids and the value of the location is priceless! And, it's less expensive than Poly or GF. We have stayed in both Garden Wing and Tower rooms. The tower rooms are cool with the monorail right there but the price of the garden wing rooms is great. Seriously consider this resort - I think you'll really like it!
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbabes View Post
If you will be spending most of your time at MK, I would not stay at an Epcot resort (this is just MY opinion ). We stayed at the BC and while we had a great stay, the bus transportation to MK was horrible as the buses were shared among all 5 resorts; however, you will find other reports that the buses are great and only share between BC/YC as everyone's experiences are different. I think the transportation is hit or miss (again.....just my opinion) and there's really no way of knowing for sure what the buses will be like until you are actually there. With all of that said, I think the GF is worth looking into as it's not only a beautiful resort, but sometimes you can snag a good discount, which can significantly lower the overall cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
Alternately, you might enjoy trying out a completely different resort that is a bit farther out like AKL. The resort theme is so unique and, IMO, should be experienced at least once! The restaurants at AKL are great as well.
I agree . We have stayed at AKL and while it is out away from everything, it is a beautiful resort and is very peaceful (IMO).

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
mistysue
DIS Veteran

We are really a MK family too. I have to say that the BC/YC are really nice, the pool is amazing if you like to swim, and EPCOT is actually a really wonderful place to walk with little ones in the evening. DH has memories of walking the world showcase with our sons as babies as they fell asleep on his shoulder for the night.
So they can be really great for little kids for different reasons, but that bus ride to the MK is a killer. We would be in town for 2 weeks, by the time you go to MK 8 times, you are done with spending 30 minutes on the bus with a kid in your lap, a folded stroller braced between your legs and your arm grasping tightly to a bag of your kid's belongings. Sure, you can avoid the bus but it involved either trekking through EPCOT to the monorail, or driving to the TTC, then taking the tram, getting to the monorail, then going to the park. While the kids are little it's just annoying. No matter where we go in the morning, our kids just want to be in the MK a little while every day.
As others have said, I would try out the CR and see how it is. You can walk to the MK... doesn't get easier than that.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you are almost always in the Magic Kingdom I think an Epcot resort would be a bad choice. I know when we stayed at the Beach Club it seemed like it took forever to get to MK! The bus service from the Beach Club was a huge negative.

I agree with many other posters, I think you need to give the Contemporary a chance. Being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom is so wonderful! Just think--no waiting on a bus or boat or on the monorail. In less than 10 minutes total you are there!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
ocalla
DIS Veteran

WE are huge BC/YC lovers, and spend a lot of time at HS and EPCOT. This past July we split our stay between BC and Poly, and fell in love with Poly also. As much as I love BC, if we planned on being at MK everyday, I would not suggest staying over there.

My family is not crazy about trying to CR either (although I would LOVE to stay there at least once) but it may be your best choice. GF is another one that I would love to try, even with the slight price increase. I agree about staying away from Poly with the construction starting!!!

We are giving WL a try for Mardi Gras this year, since a big reason for us to stay at BC is the pool and Feb/March is WAY too cold for us to swim !!!

Whatever you choose, you will have a great time!!!
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: