Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
MartyMcfly
Earning My Ears

Wilderness Lodge or Gran Floridian?

So im planning a trip in april and love the poly but dont want to stay during construction.

Money isnt an issue but im having a tough time deciding between the GF and WL

Its an adult only trip but we both love themeing. The thing we love about the poly is the hammock on the beach overlooking the seven seas lagoon and the volcano pool.

Weve stayed at the lodge and enjoyed it very much but im thinking if the grand gives that similar poly beach vibe id like to be there.

Help!
MartyMcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
So im planning a trip in april and love the poly but dont want to stay during construction.

Its an adult only trip but we both love themeing. The thing we love about the poly is the hammock on the beach overlooking the seven seas lagoon and the volcano pool.

Weve stayed at the lodge and enjoyed it very much but im thinking if the grand gives that similar poly beach vibe id like to be there.

Help!
The WL is our absolute favorite resort, but we are trying GF in August. (We wanted to stay at the Poly but won't due to construction).

We have visited the GF many times and it is such a beautiful resort. As you are probably aware, there is the beach area there at GF but I think that area is smaller due to the DVC building, but to me, their "beach pool" is very "beachy".

Maybe try something different and go GF? We won't stay at the same resort twice until we've stayed at them all, so unfortunately, we can't quite return to the WL yet.

Good luck deciding!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post

Help!
We've stayed at both and love both for different reasons, although they are totally different experiences. With that said, since you've already stayed at the WL, I'd give the GF a try. The GF is a beautiful resort with great dining options and beautiful grounds. You don't say what room type you're considering, but if you choose the GF, I'd look into RPC if that's an option. Staying at the GF in the main building is amazing and is an experience in itself, IMO. Good luck with your decision.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Some people think the Grand is stuffy but I find it to be very calming, relaxing and yes beachy.

While the Poly has a very laidback (almost too laidback) element, the Grand is the type of place where you can spend all day playing in the pool and then dress up later for a nice dinner.

If money isn't an issue as you say, I would choose the Grand over any Disney resort.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

GF for sure!!!

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012DisneyWorldBride View Post
GF for sure!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Just posted about Sugarloaf at GF vs. CL at WL.

If money is not a big deal, and you say cozy/romantic is part of your goal...then I totally give a shout out to club level at WL.

If your big thing is view, then GF and WL might disappoint. I am assuming you like having a view of MK, not just the grounds at Poly.

Of the monorail resorts, my favorite room view is actually CR lake view! CR rooms also get a fabulous view of the water parade. It just doesn't have the fun pool of Poly.

If the water parade matters, and you don't want to watch from the beach, then most rooms at both GF and WL have some limits.

Also, it's entirely possible to visit Poly, no matter where you stay. Book a dinner there! It's easy to get there form any monorail resort, or any resort if you have a car, or pair with a MK visit.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
We've stayed at both and love both for different reasons, although they are totally different experiences. With that said, since you've already stayed at the WL, I'd give the GF a try. The GF is a beautiful resort with great dining options and beautiful grounds. You don't say what room type you're considering, but if you choose the GF, I'd look into RPC if that's an option. Staying at the GF in the main building is amazing and is an experience in itself, IMO. Good luck with your decision.
I agree with this! We haven't stayed RPC yet, but have stayed in the outer buildings and loved walking around the grounds. So beautiful!

Given that your favorite thing about the Poly is the relaxing beach view of SSL and MK, GF is the clear winner. Although you don't get that same expansive view that you do from the Poly, there are still plenty of pretty views of SSL and you can see the castle lit up at night from the marina area, boat dock, and resort grounds. While the CR MK view might be a bit more impressive in terms of proximity, we actually like the view of the lake in between the resort and the castle. Give the GF a try and, even if you don't love it, the Poly will only be a short walk away!
YC GV- January 2015, GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Babsy
DIS Veteran

The beach vibe of the Poly is very different from that of the GF, but there is still a beach at the GF with a different, more sedate beach atmosphere. It is lovely but perhaps a bit more upscale and manicured (GF) than tropical and relaxed (Poly).

We love both in different ways. If you love the Poly, I expect that you will also greatly enjoy the GF. It isn't the same, but that is a good thing. It is just as wonderful, just a little bit different. Variety is the spice of life!

I enjoyed the WL (esp CL) very much but IMO the GF is soooo much nicer. The view of the MK and the water pageant are great from the GF, IMO as well.

Of course, as PP said, the CR tower has the best view, but it doesn't have a 'beachy' feeling.

From what you say, I expect that you would like the GF the best.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
toodycat
DIS Veteran

GF! WL is lovely, but has a completely different atmosphere. GF will feel light and airy like a seaside mansion in Newport. The beach pool is lovely. I prefer it to the Poly pool which feels more crowded.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Since you say your visit is in April, this probably won't impact you, but if construction (Poly?) runs over and you are going in early April, it might:

Starting January 21, 2014, service on the Magic Kingdom Resort and Express monorails will be unavailable on weekdays between 11:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. to allow for planned maintenance. This schedule will run through the end of March 2014.

I suspect the monorail will be operating the two weeks surrounding Easter.(April 20)
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
Lisann
Mouseketeer

I love the Grand Floridian. And I find it to be quite laid back. It's much more of a casual resort than most would think. My sister and I are thinking of switching our Beach Club ressie to the GF for May.

I say try something different. I think you will love the Grand.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
ColoradoDisney
Mouseketeer

My favorite MK area resort is WL. If you want convenience to MK, I would choose CR since you can easily walk to the MK entrance. I am less sold on the value of the monorail given the new hours of operations. If you could walk to MK from GF, that would be awesome!

For an adults only trip, it is hard to beat BC/YC for great access to EPCOT and Boardwalk.

Both WL and GF are fantastic properties. You will have a great experience at either.
ColoradoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: