Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
johnsgrl
Earning My Ears

Military Discount ?

Sorry if this is too long, I am aiming for clarity I don't post often, but am always searching and lurking! This board has helped me plan our past trips more than I can say, so I am hoping those that those experienced can help me out with some information on using the Military discount? My situation: I have never used this, my son (now deployed) has asked me to book a trip for us (him and his GF, myself and hubby (if he can make it) for his block leave after he gets back. My first problem is I don't know (nor does he) exactly when he is coming home, nor when his block leave will be.
How far in advance do rooms with the discount need to be booked, are they gone really quickly or might we have a chance? Do all the resorts offer it? Given he has been gone I might want to book one of the suites or at least 1 bedroom accommodations, since having Mom in the next bed might not be something a re-deployed soldier is interested in, are those available sometimes?
Any help will be greatly appreciated! TIA
johnsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
kellylfitz
Mouseketeer

We have used the military discount several times within a month or two of our travel dates and haven't had a problem. We stay in deluxe's so I can't speak for moderate's and value's. However a couple of caveats:

1. I think you will have a hard time getting a suite or a DVC. We tried a couple of times and they seemed much harder to get.

2. This round of discounts seems like it is more restricted. I just booked rooms at the Poly CL for October but because of the construction tried to switch to GF Cl and couldn't. I was however able to switch to the Contemporary CL. Also seems like the chatter on the boards is the that rooms were going fast this time around.
kellylfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Momoftwins+1
Mouseketeer

Booking post deployment vacations are one of the hardest things to do (Done it way too many times). We've found out leave dates anywhere from a few months ahead to after his unit was home <those late notices were closer to the start of the war>. I would just say when he is given the dates by his command for unit block leave, to call up Disney and ask what the availability is for the military discount and don't be too picky. It will really depend on the time of year <volume of visitors> and type of room. He is also elig. to stay at the Shades of Green, and they have a special rate with Disney resorts as well for overflow you can ask about should the Disney discount not work out.
Good luck! Dh and I booked his first deployment block leave Disney trip 5 days before we flew out because we didn't know when block leave was going to be and used the Shades of Green overflow rate but that was back in 2005.
You can still get the ticket discount etc but be prepared for the possibility of missing the discount on the room. It will be worth it in the end spending time as a family in a happy place (baring any anxiety in crowds...which some end up with due to encounters overseas), away from the worries of the military.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I've been able to book rooms at the military discount on short notice a couple of times - once only 3 days out, once 3 weeks out. If you're not going at an extremely busy time, I think you have a good chance at getting it. One military member can book up to 3 rooms, so you can book separate accommodations for yourself and your son/girlfriend and not be in the same room or suite. That would be my suggestion.

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
johnsgrl
Earning My Ears

Thanks all...I didn't know we could book more that one room with the discount, that's perfect. If possible we are looking to stay in a deluxe, while I took my son to Disney a lot when he was a kid, we always stayed off site due to single Mom budget! I've been staying on site with DH for the last few years and really want DS and GF to experience it so I am definitely willing to splurge, especially with the discount! And the GF has never been! I also get the feeling there will be something very special happening for those two on the trip
I am hoping he will come home from this "field trip" as calm as he did after the last, I know every deployment is different, luckily he had very few issues after the last one, just did not care much for backfiring vehicles.
johnsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Momoftwins+1
Mouseketeer

There should be some discounted rooms at deluxes because of the expense frankly. It is the values and moderates that sell out very quickly due to pricing after the discount so if you are willing to stay in the pricier rooms I would think you should have a pretty good shot at one! Hopefully his command gives you some lead time for the special trip!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
stm61
DIS Veteran

your son can also buy tickets for all of you at Shades of Green. Their site is www.shadesofgreen.org Check out the length of stay Stars and Stripes tickts- they include park hopping, Disney Quest, and both water parks.
stm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
johnsgrl
Earning My Ears

thanks to you all for your great information
I am happy to report that our trip is now booked

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: