Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
jwill
Hockey playing Fly Boy

Port Orleans French Quarter or Caribbean Beach Resort?

My wife and I are planning a trip in early May and are thinking of either Port Orleans French Quarter or Caribbean Beach. Having stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and enjoyed it many times I was thinking of trying something different. We don't have kids so kid friendly amenities don't have to be taken into account. I'm also willing to give up the boat ride to DTD. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful relaxing ride to DTD but we may only do that once so it's not a make or break as far as choosing one resort over another. In the point for POFQ column, has to be its relatively small size compared to CBR. One thing I was curious about was the lines for the buses at the parks. Lines for buses heading back to Port Orleans always has a healthy crowd to say the least, would CBR be about the same story?
What else should we take into account before making our decision?
Thank you for your thoughts.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

In my experience there is very little difference between the buses at CBR and POR. Among any of the moderate resorts really.

If you are not worried about the resort being kid friendly, or about the boats to DTD, I think you are left with looking at pictures and seeing which one appeals to you most. I will say though that when I stayed at CBR I really regretted not getting a preferred room. So if you choose CBR pay the extra to be close to the food court and gift shop.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I think it's time to try something different!

CBR is usually cheaper than POFQ and if there are discounts out POFQ tends to not be included. I like the food court more at CBR and the overall theme. The hammocks are nice . I don't like that CBR has smaller beds (doubles instead of queens), though. POFQ is too similar to POR for it to feel that different, imo. We are staying at CBR in a week for part of our honeymoon (the rest of the trip will be on the Disney Cruise and then at AKL).

CBR does have 7 internal bus stops though where there's just one I think at POFQ. POFQ does tend to share with POR though I think (and POR has 4 iirc).

You can't go wrong with POFQ though! It's small and is much more recently renovated than CBR.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Loved POFQ! CBR, not so much.

I really liked the theming and small size, and we never shared buses with POR during my September stay.

I walked over to POR a couple of times during my stay and felt that the theming was different at both resorts.

Good luck deciding!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
chefmb
DIS Veteran

I'm not going to be much help, but I will offer some input...
DH and I stayed 2 years ago (Dec.) at POFQ. This December, we stayed at CBR. We liked them both.

POFQ is definitely smaller, so less walking to bus stop and food court depending on where your room is located.

POFQ also has the queen beds, which CBR does not (until refurb this spring).

I think bus service is probably better at POFQ, but can't say for sure. We rent a car and only take bus to MK. We were the first bus stop (Martinique) at CBR and it took quite a long time (mainly due to a wheelchair pickup) to get to all the bus stops and head out to MK. Total, it took 45 minutes to get to MK for us from CBR. I hope that is unusual! We actually did better the next day driving to TTC and taking the monorail into MK (30 min. door to door).

POFQ has the river and boat ride to DTD, and it's a nice walk to go over to POR if you want to use their food court or just walk around. I think the atmosphere is nice at both resorts. If you like the idea of New Orleans, go with POFQ. If you want a more tropical feel, CBR fits the bill.

Another consideration is night life. I don't know of any at CBR, but POFQ is within walking distance to see Yeeha Bob at POR. There's also the lounge at POFQ, but I think I read the musician there retired. I don't know if they still have live entertainment there or not. Maybe someone else will know.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort. Heck, it's Disney!! Enjoy! Good luck with your decision
chefmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
BelleKer
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at CBR (1x), POFQ (1x), and POR (3x). I personally love the PO resorts much better. CBR was a disappointment to me after staying at POR 3 times. My husband and I did not like the double beds at CBR; We prefer the Queens at PO. I think CBR has the potential to be a beautiful hotel, but I think they let it get run down too much. Just my opinion.
BelleKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Wild4Walt
DIS Veteran

I'll throw one more thing in there - I've also stayed at both. I liked the POFQ better because it was smaller, but the deciding factor for me if there is no place to sit and have a quite cocktail inside at CB. The only bar is by the pool. It was OK, but on my trip where we stayed at CB there was no place to have a nightcap before going to bed.

POR Oct 14 / POP Oct 12 / Poly Oct 12 / CBR Nov 11 / POR Oct 10 /Pop May 10/Poly Nov 09 / CBR Mar 09 / BWI - Feb 09 / BC- Oct 08 / POFQ - Feb 08 / SSR- Dec 07 / POR - Oct 07 / Poly Oct 05
Wild4Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Kat913
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at all 3-POR, POFQ & CBR. Love riverside! That said liked french quarter sooo much better than CB. The themeing at FQ was definitely different enough from the riverside. It had an intimate cozy feel because it is small & the little "streets " at night with the jazz music playing was magical. It has a very romantic feel about it & I definitely liked the rooms better at por & pofq. Didn't really care for CB & I usually love the tropical theme thing. We have stayed at several of the disney resorts & this was by far my least favorite. Can't really put my finger on why.
Kat913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Jenny1975
Earning My Ears

We stayed at POFQ for the first time last week and it was great!My new favorite resort!It is very small,quiet,beautiful and quaint!It only has one bus stop also!!We only shared a bus with Port Orleans Riverside two times during our trip(they were during off times)..Also,because the resort is so small regardless of what building you stay in you are so close to the bus stop and food court!!There is also a ferry that takes you to Downtown Disney that is so relaxing and beautiful!
Christmas 2013 @ Port Orleans French Quarter
October 2014 @ Port Orleans French Quarter

Jenny1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've never stayed at POFQ, but we loved CBR. POFQ has no appeal to us, but we wouldn't hesitate to stay at CBR again. CBR is a very large resort, but we loved everything about it and didn't mind all of the walking. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

If money is a consideration, with the Visa discount that came out today and will be public next week, CBR is 25% off and POFQ is only 5% off. We liked CBR when we stayed there and I just booked it again. If there hadn't been a difference in discount, though, I would have booked POFQ so we could try a new resort.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Babsy
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at all three and enjoyed all three. That said, I would choose POFQ and wait to try CBR later. The queen beds and more recently refurbished rooms at POFQ make a difference. CBR is a bit run down at the moment, IMO.

If you do decide to go to CBR anyway, I would request a newly refurbished room, if available. I would also recommend getting a preferred room for convenience.

Good luck choosing!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
jwill
Hockey playing Fly Boy

Thank you all for your input.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: