Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

New MK parade floats on news

Past 2 days the news has been showing the construction of the new floats for the new MK parade. Maybe it's just me but I don't understand why they weren't building the floats and have the new parade ready to go when the Christmas parade was over.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

The floats have been pictured in a number of blogs. CMs are in rehearsal now.

http://www.disneylifestylers.com/exc...antasy-photos/
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I expect a lot of the performers in the past parade will be in the new parade. They need time to rehearse for the new. Final construction and finishing touches done to equipment at the same time. I do think most of the construction is complete.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...arade'.htm

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
yulilin3
Disney Freak

Also they are running the parade late, late at night to iron off all the kinks and the performers get everything right, they couldn't do that during the christmas season.
yulilin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
katt789
DIS Veteran

As pp's have said, the floats have been done for a while, there were leaked photos of few of them a few weeks ago, and then of course, actual released ones!

CM's have been in rehearsals for a bit, and currently still are learning everything and finalizing it. Then the overnight's happen, where they have to wait for the park to close, empty, the parade route cleaned, and then they start.

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
Also they are running the parade late, late at night to iron off all the kinks and the performers get everything right, they couldn't do that during the christmas season.
Yes. Or before.

But, instead:

"They saved some bucks and did it this way."

The same answer that can be applied to far, far too many things at WDW in recent times.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Yes. Or before.
Would have not been possible to do it during the "Christmas season".

The floats were not "in the park area" at that time and just moved over early last week. The buildings that they are housed in were full with floats that are used in other parades and the logistics of housing them (primarily because of their height) was not possible until the Celebrate floats were completely removed and other units repositioned. In addition to that, they weren't even ready to move until after the first of the year and then some other work has to be performed.

Lot more to it than meets the eye, notwithstanding that entertainment cast gets stretched pretty thin for "rest time" during the Christmas season with the amount of parades that occur during that time.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

No need.

Last edited by Robo; 01-23-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

The entertainment CMs, next Christmas season, go back to working 12 - 16 hour days as they did this past season. All CMs involved in the MK Christmas shows and parades worked non-stop from December 18th through the 31st and then immediately were cast back into their regular bid.

The majority of parade CMs will be in FoF and will be rehearsing in waves... some begin their rehearsals in mid-February and for now, they are in their regular casting... which could mean more Hoedowns or more MiSiCi.

The money, along with the health and welfare of the finite group of parade and show CMs, appears to be the determining factor in how entertainment determines what they do.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
The entertainment CMs, next Christmas season, go back to working 12 - 16 hour days as they did this past season. All CMs involved in the MK Christmas shows and parades worked non-stop from December 18th through the 31st and then immediately were cast back into their regular bid. The majority of parade CMs will be in FoF and will be rehearsing in waves... some begin their rehearsals in mid-February and for now, they are in their regular casting... which could mean more Hoedowns or more MiSiCi. The money, along with the health and welfare of the finite group of parade and show CMs, appears to be the determining factor in how entertainment determines what they do.
When is the new parade expected to start? We will be there in mid May
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post
When is the new parade expected to start? We will be there in mid May
It will be up and running before May. Projected start is mid-March.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
Would have not been possible to do it during the "Christmas season".

The floats were not "in the park area" at that time and just moved over early last week. The buildings that they are housed in were full with floats that are used in other parades and the logistics of housing them (primarily because of their height) was not possible until the Celebrate floats were completely removed and other units repositioned. In addition to that, they weren't even ready to move until after the first of the year and then some other work has to be performed.

Lot more to it than meets the eye, notwithstanding that entertainment cast gets stretched pretty thin for "rest time" during the Christmas season with the amount of parades that occur during that time.
That all makes sense to me!

And somehow I'm not bothered by a business making reasonable business decisions, particularly when they don't "hurt" their customers in any way shape or form.

Guess I'm more of a "glass half full" person than I thought... my reaction was simply: "Cool -- new parade floats!"

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
.....Guess I'm more of a "glass half full" person than I thought... my reaction was simply: "Cool -- new parade floats!"
Likewise.

From reading some quotes, I think there are those who are whiners and chronic complainers.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan murphy View Post
likewise.

From reading some quotes, i think there are those who are whiners and chronic complainers.
ita.

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
I expect a lot of the performers in the past parade will be in the new parade. They need time to rehearse for the new. Final construction and finishing touches done to equipment at the same time. I do think most of the construction is complete.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...arade'.htm
Thanks for the link, Dan - great video - the floats they show look awesome!

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: