Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
ophelia2002
Earning My Ears

Everyone has to have a DDP or no one does?!

So I had bariatric surgery since our last WDW trip and so it makes no sense for me to pay for a DDP, but everyone else in my party needs one. I contacted WDW via the chat option on their website and the person who helped me told me that everyone staying in the same room had to be on the same plan. In other words, either we ALL have to have a DDP or none of us can. That doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
ophelia2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Lolsmum
DIS Veteran

That's been the standard answer for at least the last few years.
Lolsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
pad406
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia2002 View Post
So I had bariatric surgery since our last WDW trip and so it makes no sense for me to pay for a DDP, but everyone else in my party needs one. I contacted WDW via the chat option on their website and the person who helped me told me that everyone staying in the same room had to be on the same plan. In other words, either we ALL have to have a DDP or none of us can. That doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Not personally but have seen that fact mentioned numerous times, all members of the same booking have to have the same plan. I'm sure someone will be along to give a definitive answer
Old 11-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

Ddp is sold as part of a room package. Everyone in the room has the same dining plan for the length of the reservation.

Sorry!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
smbowtie
Been there done that, gonna do it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa_ View Post
Ddp is sold as part of a room package. Everyone in the room has the same dining plan for the length of the reservation.

Sorry!
That's right.

Last visit Feb 2014 POFQ
smbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolsmum View Post
That's been the standard answer for at least the last few years.
Even more accurately, it's been both the official policy and the standard response since the Disney Dining Plan began, 1/1/05.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

If everyone else wants/needs the plan, you could use your credits to get in an extra meal or two, depending on how many of you there are. You pay OOP for what you want to eat and save your credits to be used by the others.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Exactly true. Everyone on the package has to have the same dining plan. There is no exception for those who don't want the plan or even for persons who are physicially unable to eat. However, anyone in the party may use the credits, so just buy your own food and have the rest of your party use the credits.

Except at buffets/AYCE/family style/fixed price/dinner shows, where you will be charged full price regardless of how much or how little you eat, so you might as well use your dining credits for those.

By the way, nobody "needs" a dining plan. If you have a party member who will not use the plan as it is meant to be used, then it is worthwhile to calculate whether or not it would be better for your party to go without the dining plan entirely.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
mrsdsj2007
Earning My Ears

I have had barriatric surgery recently - and we are going in feb - I feel your pain...all of our TS is character meals so that will be a no brainer (my LO is under 3 and will eat off my plate)

for the QS we figured 1 QS can be shared by us at each meal and I can have my own snacks...
mrsdsj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Michblue
Mouseketeer

I had WLS years ago and have gone to Disney with the DDp and the QS plan. It usually works out just fine. Sometimes I want something different and order my own meal. Sometimes I just share with my family. I have one of those collapsable tupperware bowls with cover in the backpack. Leftover food gets packed up, snack or meal for later. The character buffets just are what they are. I don't eat much and just enjoy the experience. The worst is actually my oldest son. Breakfast Character buffet, and he just eats a bagel.
*2007- Polynesian, first trip for our kids. DS 7, DS 5.*
*2008- Pop ** 2011- Pop **2012- Pop **2013-Pop* 2/2014-PoP** Planning 11/2014-Pop
Michblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
Melanie B
DIS Veteran

Everyone in the same room must have the same DDP. If you are staying in different rooms you can have different plans or none at all.

When we went last Nov we had deluxe and my parents, sisterand brother-in-law had the regular plans. We were all in separate rooms.

Feb 2015 Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 2013 All Star Music
July 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug 2010 Caribbean Beach
Melanie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
Amanda999
Mouseketeer

Ditto what PPs have said, but to emphasize the lack of exceptions inferred by this PP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
Exactly true. Everyone on the package has to have the same dining plan. There is no exception for those who don't want the plan or even for persons who are physically unable to eat. However, anyone in the party may use the credits, so just buy your own food and have the rest of your party use the credits.

Except at buffets/AYCE/family style/fixed price/dinner shows, where you will be charged full price regardless of how much or how little you eat....
On the disabilities forum, someone mentions this situation: two daughters, both in wheelchairs due to disability, and one unable to eat, see and IIRC hear, all due to disability (IIRC, she is tube fed (special liquid the parents bring - not any food or beverage from Disney at all). That OP is advised by the very knowledgeable disabilities moderator (Su?) that DD will STILL be charged for the buffet (character, e.g.) meals! If that doesn't = an exception, I can't imagine what would. (Although I bet sometimes you get pixie dusted when the waiter runs the bill, but I would go in expecting to be dinged for the buffet full price/dining plan credits.) I guess just count it like a park ticket - cost of entertainment and/or being with other family members who are enjoying the food/atmosphere/characters. My DS eats a small bowl of mac/cheese and he is a Disney adult now, so I dread paying $35 for Chef Mickey breakfast, but we do.

HTH!
Amanda999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
MakiraMarlena

True, there are no exceptions regarding fixed price meals (character meals) or the dining plan. Not even for persons physically unable to eat.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

There is a way to avoid paying for the ddp for yourself but it comes with its own problems. You have to be kept off the reservation and at check in you add yourself in. People added at check in are allowed not to be on the same package even if they are staying in one room.
Of course this would not allow you to use the Magical Express and you would not be able to make fp 60 days out along with your whole party but you would be able to add yourself to any adr's.
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
MakiraMarlena

Quote:
you would be able to add yourself to any adr's.
You can be on the ADR whether you are on the room reservation or not.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: