Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Newliskeardfamily
Earning My Ears

bumping up from dining plan to deluxe. are we nuts?

Hey all, with dble credit meals (Hoop Dee Doo, etc) we are thinking of doing the deluxe plan. Are we nuts? Anyone may this choice? feedback please.
Newliskeardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Deluxe plan is the best choice if your plan is to have a late TS breakfast or early TS lunch, plus a signature dinner, each day of your trip. Or if you intend to have 3 1 credit TS meals per day.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
lnh'smom
DIS Veteran

We loved having the deluxe plan. We did a couple signatures and usually ate TS breakfast, CS lunch, and mostly signatures for dinner. We went for our anniversary without kids and we really enjoyed it. We decided that it will be a slight disappointment when we go back in October with the kids and have to have the regular DDP. We love our appetizers
Old 08-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

We get the DxDDP every time we go. My husband wont go without it.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

I think I'm one of the few out there who have tried DxDDP (3 different times) and have decided NEVER AGAIN.

It's just too much time spent eating, and waaaaay too much food, if you use even one 1-TS and one signature each day, never mind trying to do three Disney-portioned meals.
By day 3, I don't care about appetizers - I don't even want to eat the entrée!
Also learned to hate planning park visits and fastpasses around the seemingly endless stream of ADRs.

I think our snack credit balance (4 adults) last time we tried it was 37 out of 40 remaining at the end of the trip. Never got hungry enough to think about snacks.

So.

We use DDP, regular kind, on a regular basis. Free and paid-for.
And for "signature night" (once or maybe twice in a trip) we just pay the difference (use 2 credits for one person, and pay cash for the other, rinse and repeat). Comes out way less expensive than the upgrade every time.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Love the DXDP. We do a lot of character meals, so portions are really up to us. We do a TS breakfast, QS lunch, and TS dinner. Financially, we saved a few hundred by upgrading when we were getting a dining discount.
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Newliskeardfamily
Earning My Ears

We did the regular plan last time and had to pay for a couple meals. With the Poly Luau and Hoop Dee Doo , we are concerned that the they will eat all of our table services, and we will be out of pocket alot of money.
Newliskeardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
d3gauss
Earning My Ears

We did the deluxe for our honeymoon and it was just way too much food, the DDP itself is too much food...adding on more is just...bad...

Me DW DS (1) DD (<1)

Aug 2011 - ASMo* Sep 2011 - ASM* Mar 2012 - AKL* Sep 2012 - AoA* Jun 2013 - WL CL* Sep 2014 - AKL CL
d3gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newliskeardfamily View Post
We did the regular plan last time and had to pay for a couple meals. With the Poly Luau and Hoop Dee Doo , we are concerned that the they will eat all of our table services, and we will be out of pocket alot of money.
I'd do the math for paying OOP with the regular DDP vs upgrading.

The too much food reasoning has never made sense to me, but to each their own.
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
BlondeAppetit
Mouseketeer

Try it and see for yourself.

We planned a Sept. 2014 trip and had the regular dining plan. I found myself getting obsessed with getting the most value from it and actually considered just paying OOP. We were already paying OOP for Cinderella's Royal Table - $152 and considered apps and such at Cali Grill - maybe another $100 before drinks.

When free dining was announced, I decided to upgrade for $300-$400. Which wasn't much different than what were were pay OOP for on the standard dining plan.

It gave us completely flexibility. We are going to Cali Grill, Jiko, CRT, and HDDR for our 2 credit meals and the other are character breakfasts, etc.

Remember you can split meals too instead of having a big lunch. Once day we have an 8:30 Crystal Palace and a 7:15pm Cali Grill.

I decided to do a 2pm LTT. My husband and I will split a burger or something with lunch and it gives our five year old a chance to eat lunch. She couldn't go from 9am-7pm without something substantial.

Again, I agree with previous posters. Just because there is a ton of food at a buffet, doesn't mean you have to eat it all. For us, we are more going for the experience.

Maybe we will feel different after our trip, but I have really enjoyed the planning!

Myself , DH , DD (almost 5) , & DD (1)
BlondeAppetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #11
salamander3
Earning My Ears

We upgraded to deluxe. I am trying to do as many character meals as we can squeeze in. For me, as crazy as it may sound, it's worth it to not hear my DH ask constantly "How much is this costing me?" He'll know it's paid for (minus tips) and I can relax. I'm also not worried about missing time in the parks. I scheduled breakfasts late so we can do brunch instead. We can get some air conditioned downtime and get the princess rested up to go back out.

That being said I'm currently going crazy with ADRs. Trying to get the exact ones I want is proving somewhat impossible.

1985, 1993, 2000, 2001, 2010, 2014!!!!
salamander3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
disnikki08
Earning My Ears

I think I'm going to upgrade to the deluxe plan as well. We're throwing in some characters meals, and TS breakfasts. I think it would cost more if we paid out of pocket for these. Plus, I'll know its paid for.

disnikki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #13
quakechicago
ADR-making addict!

Quote:
Hey all, with dble credit meals (Hoop Dee Doo, etc) we are thinking of doing the deluxe plan. Are we nuts? Anyone may this choice? feedback please.

We upgraded last time and are this time too. We do as many character meals as possible a day with our (now) 3 yo so instead of standing in line to see 1-2 characters we see in the same amount of time 4-5 plus get a decent meal in and the occasional show too.

My kiddo and I have food allergies as well, so this for us is the fastest, easiest, and safest way to eat without worrying something will make anyone sick.

The fact that it's also the most fun? Pure bonus. When you break it down to a character breakfast and a show it makes sense. When you break it down to three sit downs a day eating and seeing characters instead of standing in line, it makes sense too. For us, it's a nice break and chance to catch our breath all while making memories.

Have fun!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
RedskinFan
Mouseketeer

We did the deluxe dining plan and absolutely loved it! We have two kids (DS8 and DD6) and did a lot of character meals. We crunched the numbers and the Deluxe Dining plan was cheaper then out of pocket. We like to have the meals prepaid when we get there and not having to worry about cost. It also helps that DH and I will pick steak as an entree by choice. At non-buffet places I let my son eat my appetizer which prevented me from eating too much and meant he had enough to eat as the kids meals were generally not large enough for his big appetite. He wanted to order his meals from the adult menu but was appeased by being able to order something off the adult menu. I also let him order my dessert of the same reasons.
RedskinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
coriwis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I agree with what everyone else has said. We did the regular dining plan our first time around and found ourselves wishing we had upgraded. We have the deluxe plan our last 3 trips and really enjoyed it. It allows you the flexibility to do signature dining, shows and to not feel guilty ordering the $70 steak and lobster from Narcoosee's (our favorite signature spot)! The only thing I think we waste is our snack credits. With 3 meals a day, you really don't need much in the way of snacks. Like someone else said, we tend to do a good character breakfast in the morning, use snack credits for lunch and then have a nice dinner. Our kids are 6 and 8 and this works fine for us. Also, I can't overstate how nice it is to just relax and know that the meal (minus tips) is covered. My husband tends to suffer from the sticker shock that others have mentioned

Hope you have a great trip!
coriwis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: