Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
gogo
DIS Veteran

Crowd levels early Jan. & fastpass+ ?

We'll be in Disney January 5th - 8th. Normally, we have been there the third week of January (last 7 years). The crowds at that time have steadily increased to the point that there have been 90 minute waits for major attractions and last year when we got to the Animal Kingdom, we turned around and left when we saw the crowds at the entrance.

My question is do you think I will need to book the fastpass ahead of time. Or, should we take our chances that the wait times will be low. We don't spend all day in the parks so scheduling this in advance is difficult. I can't imagine leaving the resort just to get on a ride at a scheduled time. If we're in the park that's fine but this is so restrictive.

TIA
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
micmacmissy
DIS Veteran

Go to www.easywdw.com and look at the free crowd calendar, that will help you plan your visit.
micmacmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
We'll be in Disney January 5th - 8th. Normally, we have been there the third week of January (last 7 years). The crowds at that time have steadily increased to the point that there have been 90 minute waits for major attractions and last year when we got to the Animal Kingdom, we turned around and left when we saw the crowds at the entrance.

My question is do you think I will need to book the fastpass ahead of time. Or, should we take our chances that the wait times will be low. We don't spend all day in the parks so scheduling this in advance is difficult. I can't imagine leaving the resort just to get on a ride at a scheduled time. If we're in the park that's fine but this is so restrictive.

TIA
I will be there then as well

I booked my FP+ for evenings and will hit the parks at rope drops for other rides we like. I tried this in November and it worked well.

You don't have to use the passes so why not try for a few must do's?

Trish

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
gogo
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the information! I can't believe I waited so long to book (last night).
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

If you can, I would book your FP+. If you don't I'm sure you will still be able to survive just fine.

We've traveled in early January and found the crowds to be very manageable except for the days of the marathon when the crowds do increase. As I'm sure you know your dates do coincide a bit with the marathon.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancestry View Post
If you can, I would book your FP+. If you don't I'm sure you will still be able to survive just fine.

We've traveled in early January and found the crowds to be very manageable except for the days of the marathon when the crowds do increase. As I'm sure you know your dates do coincide a bit with the marathon.

Thanks for the reassurance I'm glad we're missing the marathon and MLK week-end this year. It has been interesting to see how when we first started going during MLK week (went then because of my son's school schedule) very manageable to the point 7 years later where it felt like high season.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
micmacmissy
DIS Veteran

How do you book FP+?

We are booking a trip now for Jan 23rd...usually I plan for Months!

We haven't been since 2007, so I have no idea how the new FP system works, of if I even need it Jan 24 through 28, since crowds will be lighter.
micmacmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
DizneyNutz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmacmissy View Post
How do you book FP+?

We are booking a trip now for Jan 23rd...usually I plan for Months!

We haven't been since 2007, so I have no idea how the new FP system works, of if I even need it Jan 24 through 28, since crowds will be lighter.
You have to go to the MY Disney Experience website and create your account. You link your reservations confirmation and if you already have your tickets you link them also using the number on the back of the tickets. After linking your reservation, tickets and selecting your magic bands you may make your FP+ reservations.

[Wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."
-St. Augustine]
DizneyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
dmoore718
If you think being a firefighter is tough, try being a firefighter's wife

I would book fastpasses for sure. We went that same week last year and even though, during marathon, it looked like more people were in the parks, the wait times were still manageable. We loved it and are planning for the same week in 2015
Old 01-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We go in January and we are rope drop people. I have a low line tolerance, so I get the headliners done first, at opening. I'll book FP late morning/early afternoon for my favs, cause riding once is just not enough!

So yes, I'd book FP. Especially if you don't plan on getting out early. At least you'll be guaranteed some attractions with minimal wait.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post

TIA
If you were going to rope drop I would say FP+ isn't a must. But it sounds like you arrive in the late morning, early afternoon when lines will be longer and FP+ will be booking up.

I'm not too concerned about FP+ because we're rope drop people and not ride demons. We make a list of our must-do attractions (and thankfully we're the type of family that enjoys Small World and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor! ) and we've always been able to ride every single one, even without the old FP system.

But again, if you want to sleep in, FP+ was actually made for your family. The idea is to make reservations for a later time so you can sleep longer and move at your own pace without worrying about Fast Passes running out at 10 am.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: