Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

At my favorite place during my favorite time of year ~Dec. 2013 TR~ Updated 3/29

Here we go again! I debated doing a TR this time because I didn't take notes like I did our last trip. However, as the holidays are coming to a close, and the "Disney depression" is setting in...I feel like a TR is needed to get me out of the funk I am in! So here we go.....

Introductions:

The handsome prince would be Carson. He is 4 years old and this is his second trip to the World. The poor boy was sick for over half of the trip...so he wasn't his normal, happy self.

I am next...the Disney lover...and planner of the trip! I love everything about Disney...and know most of the secrets to make the most out of our time at Disney. All my friends say I should plan trips for a living...I only wish!

The beautiful princess in the picture is Callie. She is 7 and this was her fourth trip to the World. Like mother like daughter...she loves Disney as much as I do! Thank goodness!

And then there is Grumpy...I mean DH Marty! If you read my last TR, he is not a fan of Disney. He goes when I make him. He was not looking forward to this trip...but can I just tell you...he was PERFECT on this trip! He did everything he was told to do...and he never complained once!

If you want to learn more about us...there is a better introduction on our last TR. Now onto to the show...

Last edited by mommytocalliesue; 03-29-2014 at 12:27 PM.
mommytocalliesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Table of Contents

The Facts

Day before departure

Go to BED

Day 1 - November 29th

Guess it's my turn to be puked on!

Let's go to Disney

What to do...Animal Kingdom it is

I LOVE this boat Mom!

I paid how much for you to eat a rice krispie square and 5 M & M's!

Finally...the Magic Kingdom!

That hurt my tummy!

Day 2 - November 30th

The longest bus ride EVER!

Let's get our ride on!

Crabby time!

Pool time...kind of!

Look at all the lights!

Where are all the Photopass Photographers?

Day 3 - December 1st

Yes...you will ride Space Mountain!

Finally...Rapunzel!

Is it a big hill or a little hill?

Girl's Day!

Did we seriously wait that long?

Downtown...everyone (and I mean everyone) wants to go Downtown!

Day 4 - December 2nd

Good tip...make a reservation before the parks open!

Let's dance...or not!

Does it go upside down?

Getting a lot accomplished! <Part 1>

Getting a lot accomplished <Part 2>

We took the long way home!

Be Our Guest, Be Our Guest, put our service to the test!

Let's get our ride on!

Always do night EMH!

Always do night EMH! (cont.)

Day 5 - December 5th

Last edited by mommytocalliesue; 03-29-2014 at 12:26 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

The Facts

Who: The four of us!

What: A Magical Christmas trip to the World. Why not join together my favorite place, during my favorite time of year....with my favorite people! I have been to Disney World before during Christmas...but my children have not. I wanted them to experience all the beauty that Disney brings to the most Wonderful time of the year!

When: Because I'm a teacher...I'm limited to when I can go. So after looking at Touring Plans...I thought leaving right after Thanksgiving into the the first week of December would be perfect. So we flew out November 29 and came back later December 4th. Not as long as a trip as I would like...but we made it work.

Where:After going back and forth, we settled on The Wilderness Lodge. We stayed in a bunk bed room with a woods view. We had the perfect placement! It was quiet, on the same floor as the lobby, and very close to the bus stop! And the hotel was Breathtaking....just gorgeous! It really puts you in the Christmas mood the minute you walk in the lobby.

Why: Why not...it's Disney!!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

The day before departure

The day before departure was Thanksgiving. The main reason we didn't fly on Thanksgiving was because my brother was coming with their newborn daughter and my 3 year old niece...and I was excited to get some snuggle time in! Plus, we wanted to see all of our other relatives.

Here is the kid's Christmas picture we took on Wednesday night!

However, on Wednesday night, DS was up off and on all night. One time he said his throat hurt, another time his ear hurt, another time his head hurt. All I could think was, "Not now!!" So at 3 am, I'm in bed searching for some Urgent Care Clinic that was open on Thanksgiving.

We live in a really, really, really small town. We do not even have a stoplight in our town! So I searched in a 45 mile radius all around us. Luckily, I found one!!! A nearby Walmart had a clinic that was open every day of the year except Christmas. Their hours were 10 am to 2 pm. I told DH I am taking him as soon as it opens!

When DS got up, he said he felt better, but I said "No way!" We are going just in case. We got ready...but before we left...DD had to finish the countdown calendar!

So the two of us piled into the car while DD and DH got ready for Thanksgiving. It was a good 45 minute drive...and surprisingly when we got there, there were only 2 people ahead of us.

The Dr. checked ears first - yup! Ear infection in both ears. She said she didn't want to check for Strep because she would treat it the same way...but I told her we were suppose to go to Thanksgiving where other kids would be...so we ran the test. And what do you know...positive.

I was so bummed...and was worried about how this would affect him for the plane ride and the trip.

She gave him a strong antibiotic that she said would start treating the strep right away...and then she gave him some ear drops that would help if he had pain on the plane.

Here he is waiting for his prescriptions! He really wasn't acting sick!

We finally were on our way home. DH had already ate at my parents...so we switched places. He stayed home with DS so I could eat and see my family.

Then we switched again...he and DD went to his parents while Carson and I stayed home. We were all packed and just waiting to drive to Chicago!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Go to BED

DH and DD arrived home around 4:40 pm. My goal was to be on the road by 5...and by golly...we did it!!

I wasn't sure how much traffic we would run into beings it was Thanksgiving night...so I made DH drive! It's usually over a 2 hour drive to Midway Airport...but we made it a little under 2 hours! The kids were in good spirits!

We checked into our hotel, took our bags to the room, and then decided to find the vending machine. None of us had eaten since lunch...so after having to exchange all of our dollars for coins (machine didn't like our money!!) We ended up with some pop and chips (healthy right?!?)

I made sure DS ate because he needed his medicine, DH took Night Quill because he had a horrible cough, and DD was getting a cough so she took cough medicine. Yup, that's right...everyone was getting sick.

About 8:30, we all got into bed. We had to be up by 4:30 am...our flight was at 6:50 am...and from past experiences, it takes DS a LONG time to settle down.

I got stuck sleeping with DS...which means I didn't sleep a wink. First, it took him 2 hours to quit talking! He kept talking and talking and talking. Then, when he did fall asleep, he rolls and has to be right by my side. And he snores!! I was glad when that alarm went off at 4:30...wait...I was up before the alarm went off...but I was glad to be out of bed!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Guess it's my turn to be puked on!

I was up before my alarm, so I laid in bed until about 4:30 am. After my wonderful night's sleep, I figured I should just stay up until it was time to go!

I woke everyone else up...gave everyone their appropriate medicine...and we were on our way to the airport.

It was too early for the hotel to serve breakfast, but they did have some yogurt which DD took advantage of! And I was feeling optimistic because even DS was in a good mood! I figured the medicine kicked in!

Waiting for the shuttle

We only had to wait about 10 minutes for the shuttle, and we were on our way to the airport.

We got to the airport and checked in. I decided to check the stroller at the gate so we didn't have to deal with it at security. Luckily for us, when we got to security, they let us go through a separate line where all we did was have to walk through. No removing liquids, belts, shoes...Nothing!! It was awesome! DH did get pulled for a quick wipe of the hands check, which had DD crying! She thought he did something wrong. But in a matter of a minute, we were on our way.

We made it to our gate, and I went and got everyone breakfast at McD's. Everyone but DS ate.

We flew Southwest, and I did earlybird check-in, but we were still in the mid B's So we made our way closer to the entrance to make sure we got on before others.

I forgot that they called families with children under the age of 4 first...so instead of waiting for the B's to be called, we went on then.

We sat down and I could tell DS wasn't feeling really well. He was pale, wouldn't eat, and was really quiet. I did get some smiles out of him!

And one of DH and DD!

We were sitting waiting to take off...when all of a sudden I could tell something wasn't right with DS. I asked him, "Are you going to puke?" He just kind of looked at me. Luckily, I have fast reaction skills, hurriedly grabbed a barf bag, and caught the majority of it. EWWW....he was trying to knock the bag away, but I kept it right in front of him.

Now, the reason for the title of this thread is because on our last trip, DD threw up on the plane ride home, several times, but DH got to handle that. Guess it was my payback!

The stewardess was really nice, brought extra bags, wet wipes, etc...and we had him picked up in no time...and no one around us even knew he did it!

However, as we took off and got in the air, he started screaming because of his ears. Poor kid I got the ear drops out. He didn't want me to use them, but eventually let me. Let's just say the ear drops consistency was that of jelly...so it was gross. But it must have worked because he laid his head down.

He did nothing the entire trip....just either sat or laid down. I think he did sleep for a bit. I felt helpless and kept thinking he was going to throw up...but he never did.

We landed a bit early...thank goodness!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Let's go to Disney!

We got off the plane headed straight to Magical Express.

As we were walking, I noticed my roommate from college was on the same plane! She was there with like 30 family members. We exchanged numbers, but never did get a chance to meet up.

Pictures along the way...

My friend is walking in front of DD!

Feeling better!

Almost there!

Finally made it to check-in. First trial with our Magic Bands...success!! However, they did not have my return flight info. I know I had given it to them, and didn't have it on me, but they said no big deal, to just give in sometime at the hotel.

We did have to wait about 20 minutes for a bus But finally loaded to head to The Wilderness Lodge!!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm joining! We live about 1.5 hours north of Midway on the border of Wisconsin.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

Ah, what a way to start off a trip with a sick little one. Hope it wasn't long before he started feeling better. You have a beautiful family and looking forward to reading more about your trip. We are planning a trip this December.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm joining! We live about 1.5 hours north of Midway on the border of Wisconsin.
Welcome! We are in Central Illinois...but my brother and a lot of my college roommates live your way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawv View Post
Ah, what a way to start off a trip with a sick little one. Hope it wasn't long before he started feeling better. You have a beautiful family and looking forward to reading more about your trip. We are planning a trip this December.
HI! It wasn't any fun...he didn't feel well for most of the trip but was a trooper! Thank you...and overall we had a very Magical trip!! Enjoy planning!!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

What to do...Animal Kingdom it is!

After stopping at two hotels, I know Fort Wilderness but I can't remember the other, we made it to the Wilderness Hotel! I had been waiting and dreaming of walking into the lobby and seeing the grand Christmas tree and all the decorations...and let me tell you, I was NOT disappointed! It is beautiful! Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures at this time, because a CM had grabbed us outdoors to check in!

She had her trusty Ipad, and since we had done online check-in, we were headed to our room in no time! I was SO glad it was ready even though it was only noon!

I had a couple plans of what we were going to do when we got there...

1) Stay at the hotel, swim, and then nap.

2) Head to Animal Kingdom, and then come back and nap.

We opted for number 2! We checked out our room. We were in room that had bunk beds. We were just off the lobby and close to the bus stop! It was the perfect location for us. The room was a bit small, but I was prepared for that. Our patio faced the woods, but we could see the path to the bus stop as well. It was quiet and beautiful! Sorry...no pics...I was too excited!

Everyone seemed in good spirits, so off we went to Animal Kingdom!

First trial with Magic Bands at a park, and with a little direction, we all got it and were in ready to go!

I knew it would be busy, so the first thing we did when we got there, was head to Kilimanjaro Safari. Since we had FP+ to use at Magic Kingdom that night, I decided to try our KTTW card to pull a regular fast pass. It worked!! It was for between 1:30-2:30...so we had time to kill.

It was like 12:45, the Festival of the Lion King show was starting at 1:30...but we were hungry...so we first stopped at Pizzafari. It was PACKED!! Bad choice on my part. I told them I'd get the food and sent them to save a table. I had to wait 20 minutes but finally had our food.

We ate fast (well, all of us but DS)....and then booked it over to Camp Minnie and Mickey to see the show. We had to wait in line like 10 minutes, and I had doubts of whether we were going to get in, but we did!

We were in the Giraffe section...and thoroughly enjoyed the show. It is one of my favorites. DS was not acting himself, and I kept having this fear he was going to get sick, but he never did! Paranoid Mommy!

After the show we went back to use our Fast Pass. I do not have many pictures, because I did not bring my camera...only my phone! Here are a few!

I will just say, this was the BEST safari we have ever been on! I think we saw almost all the animals! Really does make a difference when it's not so hot and humid!

After this, it was close to 3, so we decided to head back to the hotel. We had dinner reservations at Chef Mickey's at 6:45...and we all needed a shower and a nap!

Leaving the Animal Kingdom

Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Bayoumama
Mouseketeer

Hey there...joining in So sorry your DS trip started off that way. I know that feeling of not being able to help our little ones when they are sick is so upsetting. Glad it passed though.
Just my husband and I are going this year the week after Thanksgiving. I'm anxious to see how the crowds were for you. Looks good so far. Can't wait to see more.
You have a gorgeous family !!!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoumama View Post
Hey there...joining in So sorry your DS trip started off that way. I know that feeling of not being able to help our little ones when they are sick is so upsetting. Glad it passed though.
Just my husband and I are going this year the week after Thanksgiving. I'm anxious to see how the crowds were for you. Looks good so far. Can't wait to see more.
You have a gorgeous family !!!
Welcome!!! So glad you are here....you'll see we had low crowds...and some busy crowds!! Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Great!! Welcome!!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I'm also a teacher and debating this time of year to go, so I look forward to hearing your experiences with weather and crowds. I know how your DS must have felt! One trip to WDW I flew with swimmers ear and I'm shocked I didn't scream

Jan 2009: Pop Engagement Celebration
May 2010: CBR Wedding Trip
September 2011: A POPtastic Anniversary Pre-Trip Report Trip Report
January 2013: A Winter Getaway PreTrip Report Trip Report
He says no, but I'll find a way to go! ~ A December PTR in the making
DisneyLifer87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: