Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #31
m2zjj
Mouseketeer

Following along.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #32
Suziannie
Mouseketeer

Yay for tickers going up!

We went last year the first week of Dec and it was fantastic!

Can't wait to see how your plans come together!

Completed Christmas Trip Report: December 2013

Resorts I've stayed at so far:
Caribbean Beach 2007/2008 Christmas & New Year's Eve
All Star Movies 2008 Food & Wine, 2011 Honeymoon, 2013 Christmas trip
Art of Animation 2013
Shades of Green 2013

Upcoming: Shades of Green December 2014!!!
Suziannie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #33
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2zjj View Post
Following along.
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suziannie View Post
Yay for tickers going up!

We went last year the first week of Dec and it was fantastic!

Can't wait to see how your plans come together!
That makes me feel great hearing that it was a pleasant experience. I've found mixed reviews here on the boards when stumbling on some trip reports!

A big question I have for those following along is when to book. Typically in my previous trips we have either gone during "slow" times and I booked when a good discount came out. OR for our wedding which was more peak, we booked everything far in advance simply because it was a wedding! I'm curious if I should book my room now at least and then add a package as deals become available, or just wait around? Thoughts?

Jan 2009: Pop Engagement Celebration
May 2010: CBR Wedding Trip
September 2011: A POPtastic Anniversary Pre-Trip Report Trip Report
January 2013: A Winter Getaway PreTrip Report Trip Report
He says no, but I'll find a way to go! ~ A December PTR in the making
DisneyLifer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #34
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in too because I love a good budget trip.

You HAVE to ride ToT! You can do it! Commit at least to walking through the line and seeing all the theming; it's amazing!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #35
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I'm joining in too because I love a good budget trip.

You HAVE to ride ToT! You can do it! Commit at least to walking through the line and seeing all the theming; it's amazing!
I think the best way to commit is to have a reward afterwards. Maybe DH will have to hold a Mickey Bar hostage until I ride it!

DH and I have decided to try and book a room only sometime tomorrow when we can sit down together and make the final call on what resort and room type we'd like. It looks like we are leaning towards Pop Century. I might book us an entire package with the dining plan and simply edit it as the deals come out, which is usually what we do. Aside from some real life struggles with the body shop repairing my car, I'm very happy. For more info on that, keep reading.

.... ok, you have been warned that this is

So a little over a month ago I had experienced a minor fender bender with a 16 year old who hit my brand new 2013 Nissan Sentra. I wasn't really angry except for they drove away! .... and then came back 15 minutes later after I had called the cops. Regardless, they were at fault and my car was scheduled to be repaired on March 3rd (a huge delay due to some poor winter weather here in MN and because my car was still working).

I took the car in on March 3rd and was put into a rental Dodge Charger (world of difference and quite fun). The repairs were supposed to take 16 hours, or two days. On Wednesday I began to wonder why I hadn't been contacted so I called the shop 2 hours before they closed asking for an update. My estimator told me that had found additional damage and it would take until Friday to complete. Totally understandable, but I was maybe a little that no one had bothered to call me to tell me this.

Friday came and I received a call from my insurance saying they had verified with the shop that my car would be done that afternoon. An hour later I got a call from the shop saying they were shipped the wrong part and needed to reorder it - the car would need to wait until Monday when they opened again. Ok, I understand human error and he did call me this time, so while I was a little mad, I was accepting of it.

Monday comes... insurance calls and confirms it will be ready.... 2 hours before the shop closes and I have nothing. So, I call them. Turns out they "were shipped the right part for the wrong side of the car". And no one called me. It was about this time that I became extremely irate because I realized this dealership was likely not shipping them incorrect parts, but they were being ordered incorrectly. I mean, come on, the estimator had problems even communicating to me. So, I wrote a formal complaint to the manager and grumbled to myself, but waited for Tuesday.

Tuesday comes, and I'm sure you're like me thinking (this has to be the end of this tale)! I wish. Tuesday I went to the shop, returned my rental, and picked the car up right before they closed because it took that long for the part to deliver. I drove my shiny car home, then stopped as I got out of the car because a molding piece looked a little funny. Further inspection showed it was coming off of the car and was not aligned correctly. FURTHER inspection showed there was a 2-inch scratch where it had hastily been reapplied to the car. I called them and made an appointment for Wednesday to return.

Yesterday I stopped by and they buffed out the scratch, but the molding was missing an anchoring clip hence why it was flapping around. They'd order it and have it in Thursday (today). The manager came to speak to me at this point and gave me $50 in restaurant gift cards, apologized profusely, and said that he would personally come pick up my vehicle from my home today, take it to the shop to have the molding fixed, and then drop it off at my home tonight when everything has been completed. He also informed me that my estimator was being severely reprimanded because the molding was hastily installed as I thought.. by him.. not the mechanic. I guess this estimator "thought he knew what he was doing".

So, here I sit waiting for them to pick up my car. This has been such a nightmare, I'll be happy when it's finally done. At least I used some of that gift card last night for a large margarita!

Thanks for listening! End of being off topic!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #36
m2zjj
Mouseketeer

Oh my what a nightmare with your car. I would have been
Old 03-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #37
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2zjj View Post
Oh my what a nightmare with your car. I would have been
Oh I certainly was, but it is all taken care of now (Finally!) so life goes on. Hopefully no one has to deal with that experience again!

On the Disney note, I researched when the cheerleading competition was (starts the 8th) and then we did finally book for December 1-8th at Pop Century! Now it is a matter of hoping for discounts! Maybe free dining?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #38
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Magic Band Colors!

8 months is a very long way to go and DH is less than thrilled or willing to talk about ADR options quite yet. I did get him to select his magic band color with me though (he picked blue and I took green). So, I stick to reading the boards and hoping the time passes a bit faster. This week is our end of term for classes, so my grading and stress levels are likely to keep me busy.

On the plus side, we did get a nice $115 reimbursement on a car rental from the poor body shop service we received. DH thinks this means a date night, but I'm more of a "save it for a rainy day" type of person.

As it continues to snow outside my window in the frigid arctic, I'm starting to wonder if Spring will ever come... or summer... or next winter. I'm actually sort of excited for that!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #39
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Spring?

Hello DIS family! Haven't had much to update and been busy with the school year wrapping up. However, for any Midwesterner who has been struggling with this insanely bipolar weather, I wanted to share a little image of how I'm feeling watching the snow fall this morning:

Will be ever see Spring!?

Old 04-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #40
CaseFace5
Mouseketeer

Subbing in!

I can't wait to see how you make this trip work on a budget. I am going next weekend for a VERY short and VERY last minute trip. I want to go for longer and was thinking of going during the same time frame. Mine is a little different though because I am a cheerleading coach. It's so tough because I wont know until late November if my team makes it through but I would like to just book that week and be all paid if they make it and if they don't, then I'd still be able to go and see the castle all decorated!!

I can tell you though.. once you see it all done up with the lights, it never looks the same again and you'll always want to go back for more!!
CaseFace5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
Pylegirl
Earning My Ears

Oh sooo excited we just joined! We are planning our 1st family trip in June 2015 and are driving with 4 kiddos from Iowa!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #42
CatNipRules
Overplanner Extraordinaire....
I love them when they are raw
I got Mickey mail

Subbing... I'm also writing a trip report. It's a long time from now,but it gives me something to look forward to. LOL!!

CatNipRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #43
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

A big welcome to all of the new comers! Glad to have you on board! I decided I should post a little summary of what we're thinking just to make an update...

The Plan... (so far)

Traveling from 12/1 - 12/8
Staying at Pop Century in a Preferred Room
Aiming to Park Hop
Going with the DDP, but hoping it comes off as free (though we will likely do it anyway even if it doesn't)

ADR's we have in mind:
- Coral Reef dinner
- Ohana dinner
- 1900 Park Fair breakfast (NEW! for us)
- Le Cellier Steakhouse (candlelight package, if possible)
- Liberty Tree Tavern dinner
- Be Our Guest lunch
- Teppan Edo dinner

We have yet to:
- Book Airfare
- Solidify if these are the dates we want
- Determine if we want to do a DDxP
- Decide between 6 or 7 park ticket days depending on flight times

Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #44
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Flights! We have flights!

Our dates are officially sealed in stone with the purchase of flights!

Found round trip airfare from Minneapolis to Orlando at $200 each. We fly in on December 1st leaving MN at 7:15am and arriving around 11:30am in Orlando. We fly out December 8th at 5:45pm and arrive back in MN at 8:15pm. It's starting to feel real!!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #45
Pylegirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLifer87 View Post
Our dates are officially sealed in stone with the purchase of flights! Found round trip airfare from Minneapolis to Orlando at $200 each. We fly in on December 1st leaving MN at 7:15am and arriving around 11:30am in Orlando. We fly out December 8th at 5:45pm and arrive back in MN at 8:15pm. It's starting to feel real!!
Awesome that's a great deal! We always fly out of MSP but are driving this trip since 6 tickets never seems to be in the budget anymore! So excited for you!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: