Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
sweetpea904
FL Resident/Disney Addict

Red face Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge? HELP!!!

I am taking my daughter to Disney World the first week in June. We try and go once a year if possible. In 2011 we stayed at our first moderate resort (Port Orleans Riverside) and it was amazing. I booked one of the new Royal Guest Rooms and my mini LOVED it. This year we stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort (August) then had a quick weekend trip to Blizzard Beach and stayed at All Star Music in September. While I LOVE the moderates, the values I can only do on a weekend trip because they are SO OVER CROWDED, I want to treat her this summer and stay at a deluxe. I know WL & ALK are the cheapest so I am starting there for this trip before we move on to the Poly, Contemporary, BW or GF maybe in the future. I have 5 months to save for our trip & I know the room will be at least $350 a night min. I want to try and stay for 6 nights as we usually stay for 4. I have read several reviews & forums & they both sound so nice but I am having a hard time choosing between them. Any advice, help, suggestions, tips, recommendations would be a HUGE help. Right now I am leaning towards ALK. Thanks in advance!!!
2013 Caribbean Beach Resort
2012 Port Orleans Riverside (first visit to Animal Kingdom)
2009 Pop Century
2007 Off-site (First visit to a Disney water park, Typhoon Lagoon)
2007 Off-site (my daughter's first trip to Magic Kingdom, LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT)
2002 Off-site (first visit to Epcot)
1999 Day trip
1994 Off-site
1992 Off-site
1991 Day trip/school field trip (first visit to MGM)
1990 Off-site (Very FIRST Visit to Disney)

sweetpea904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
margaret07013
Mouseketeer

WL b/c of the access to MK via boat. 10 min and you are there.
margaret07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

If she has any interest in animals, then AKL. I do love Wilderness Lodge but my heart is with Animal Kingdom Lodge. I feel like I've been swept away to an exotic locale at AKL.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Both are beautiful! We haven't stayed at AKL but have visited numerous times. WL is our favorite though!

There is something so magical about staying in the MK area. And I justify the price of Disney deluxes because of the location. That's the only negative I see with AKL, you're not getting that prime location or alternate transportation option.

That being said, I am certain we will stay at AKL at some point. Good luck in your decision making!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Belle'sFan
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at both WL and AKL. In my opinion the AKL has a better/bigger pool and slide, a bigger counter service restaurant, and more exotic landscaping. Many will say the location is too far out, but we found the buses were very good - don't let this worry you. We didn't find the animals to be as big of a plus - probably because we didn't spend a lot of time looking at them. What we didn't like was not a lot to do outside other than swimming. At the WL we liked being able to rent bikes or boats and also walking to the campground. The WL location was better because of closeness to MK, being able to see the EWP, and proximity to HDDR, which we love. As I say, we love each for different reasons. Both are gorgeous and I would stay at either in a heartbeat.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

We love both and I was a WL die hard for years.. But we have spent several trips lately at AKL ..we spent a week in June and for that time of year, I say AKL. The pool is huge and lots of chairs (which can be hard to get at WL)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea904 View Post
I am taking my daughter to Disney World the first week in June. We try and go once a year if possible. In 2011 we stayed at our first moderate resort (Port Orleans Riverside) and it was amazing. I booked one of the new Royal Guest Rooms and my mini LOVED it. This year we stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort (August) then had a quick weekend trip to Blizzard Beach and stayed at All Star Music in September. While I LOVE the moderates, the values I can only do on a weekend trip because they are SO OVER CROWDED, I want to treat her this summer and stay at a deluxe. I know WL & ALK are the cheapest so I am starting there for this trip before we move on to the Poly, Contemporary, BW or GF maybe in the future. I have 5 months to save for our trip & I know the room will be at least $350 a night min. I want to try and stay for 6 nights as we usually stay for 4. I have read several reviews & forums & they both sound so nice but I am having a hard time choosing between them. Any advice, help, suggestions, tips, recommendations would be a HUGE help. Right now I am leaning towards ALK. Thanks in advance!!!
We have stayed at both more than once and IMO, you can't go wrong with either one. They both have great atmospheres, great pools, great CS options, and great TS options. WL does have an edge over AKL in that it's close to MK and you have the boat as an alternate to the buses, but we found the bus-only transportation at AKL to be fine. AKL is kind of out away from everything, but in our experience, it didn't take more than maybe 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts. I also like that the resort is kind of isolated as it makes for a peaceful and quiet stay. Good luck deciding, although I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
jimandami
DIS Veteran

We have done both and prefer AKL for better pool and just overall feel. Can I recommend something though? If it's just you and DD, think about renting DVC points for an AKV studio. I priced an entire week in June and even with a savannah view, if you pay $12/point, it comes out to $210/night. Much cheaper! Plus, you have a kitchenette and can do breakfasts in the room.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both several times, and both are great. But WL has the best location. Boat to MK, and there's also a resort boat that loops around linking you to CR & FW. So makes getting to dining options at the MK resort area very easy.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

We are kind of in the same boat! We just did a family trip...but am going to take my DD beginning of June. We just stayed at WL and LOVED it!! The Christmas decorations definitely made it special. While the boat was a plus to getting to MK...we did have some longer waits with it. So this trip we are looking at AKL....we shall see where we decide!
mommytocalliesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
HairyChest
Mouseketeer

Stay at wilderness lodge
Visit akl for a meal

Imo hotel in front of a lake with a boatride to mk beats a hotel with a savanna
HairyChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
GoofyWithGlasses
Mouseketeer

We've only stayed at AKL out of the two, and while it truly does feel like coming home to me when I walk through the doors, maybe WL is better. We have had awful experiences with the bus services, and the animal factor of it the last time that we went (post Kidani) was just not the same, as spectacular and wonderful as the hotel is
Also, with WL, you get the added extra of being in VERY close proximity to MK, which is handy even if you say, want to go to Epcot, and the busses are playing up...

Bear in mind though, that, although we visited AK on our last trip, it's been three years since we stayed there... For all I know, they may have fixed the bus system by now! :P

Check out my blog!

http://www.goofywithglasses.blogspot.com
GoofyWithGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Rose23
Epcot Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyChest View Post
Stay at wilderness lodge
Visit akl for a meal

Imo hotel in front of a lake with a boatride to mk beats a hotel with a savanna
AMEN!
Rose23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Canadian Girl
Mouseketeer

For my family,nothing compares with a resort that has animals. We have stayed at other resorts and they are all great, but my daughters, ages 9 and 12 love AKL best.
Canadian Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
CaptainKat
Mouseketeer

We love love love WL, and it's possibly my favorite resort at WDW. I love the boat to the MK! I also really like that there's boat transportation to the campground and the Contemporary, it makes exploring some other resorts or dining there very easy. Last year my mom and I spent our arrival afternoon going to the Contemporary and exploring all of the monorail resorts from there. We had a great time, and that's something that might be fun for you and your DD if you're thinking of trying GF, Poly or CR on a future trip.

Accepted for DCP Fall Advantage in the Pirate's League! Let the Countdown begin!
CaptainKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: