Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #31
AVDisney
WDW Vet

This is a great trip report!
Animal Kindgom Lodge (2007)
Boardwalk (2009)
Polynesian (Jan. 2011, Oct. 2014- SWEET SIXTEEN TRIP!!!)
Beach Club (June 2013)

My first trip to Disneyland/Grand Californian! (March 2014)

Think of all the joy you'll find when you leave the world behind and bid your cares goodbye...

Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
shesCamii
Earning My Ears

Your pictures at animal kingdom are amazing!

My family are looking into going to Disney World in January. How did you find the crowds and weather?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #33
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDisney View Post
This is a great trip report!
Thank you very much! I'm far too behind on it, but it will be finished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesCamii View Post
Your pictures at animal kingdom are amazing!

My family are looking into going to Disney World in January. How did you find the crowds and weather?
We love going in January. The crowds are usually very light. The weather can be finicky, however. In 2009 when we traveled it was in the 50's all week (still a heat wave when you're fro MN), but in 2013 it was upper 60's and beautiful. Only needed a sweatshirt at night!
January 2013: A Winter Getaway PreTrip Report Trip Report
He says no, but I'll find a way to go! ~ A December PTR in the making
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #34
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Day Five - Water Parks? Hmm...

Day Five - Water Parks, or....

Day Five (1/23) dawned with a bright and shining, albeit slightly chilly morning. I woke around 9am and headed to the food court for some drinks and a little breakfast. DH was left to sleep because we had decided this afternoon would be our first shot at Typhoon Lagoon followed by an evening at MK. While walking back to the room I made two important discoveries:
1. Having the magic bands instead of a KTTW card would be far more convenient when you're carrying a tray of food and drinks
2. It was REALLY chilly for a water park.

I woke DH up and we ate our breakfast. I told him about the weather and he expressed disinterest in even doing a water park at all. We had paid the same price for our water park feature as we would have for park hopper only (I got them through my work), so not going wouldn't be a waste. Except, to DH this meant doing NOTHING instead?!? Clearly he doesn't know how I work.

I made him get out of bed, and I will admit this took a fair amount of grumbling and effort. He showered as I watched Stacy on tv (something DH just never understands). We left the room just after 10:30 am and headed towards everything Pop. DH saw the ping pong table was vacant and insisted we play. Well... to each their own, I suppose. We played for a bit, but after constantly chasing the ball as it flew off the table, I gave up. DH must have been in a childish mood because he then wanted to spend our arcade card, too. It was perfect timing, however, because the place was empty. I watched him play for awhile, then headed into the gift shop. We FINALLY got to the bus after refiling our mugs one last time at about 12pm - talk about a late start to the day!

It wasn't too long until we were seeing this lovely sight....

*lovely minus the crane. I hate that about January, but it is what it is.

The first stop was LUNCH and we picked Casey's, of course. The line wasn't too bad and I absolutely loved my cheese dip for my fries (as always). DH and I do enjoy cheese on pretty much anything. After eating, I migrated us to the castle hub because I could hear the distinct sounds of a celebration coming our way!

This little random parade is always entertaining. It was awfully close to the big afternoon parade, which we elected to skip this time around and use the gathering crowds to duck into New Fantasyland! I had a plan, and that plan included a first stop to see Belle!

I grabbed a quick picture of the wardrobe, then put the camera away. The experience was very cute, but the storytelling hasn't changed much aside from it being for a smaller audience at a time. I found it enjoyable, though DH was a little bored.

We moved out to Philharmagic, which was his choice and had absolutely no wait! It's always a great show! We then headed to the Voyage of the Little Mermaid and I was a little anxious about what the wait time would be... I mean it was the afternoon, prime time... would we be so lucky??

... continued in the next post!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #35
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Great update and pics.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #36
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Day Five, cont.

Day Five, part 2!

DH and I headed over to The Voyage of the Little Mermaid. What a beautiful design and amazing attention to detail they have around this attraction.

The moment of truth came when we saw the standby wait time.....

10 minutes!

It was unbelievably fortunate luck that we had on our side. DH and I practically walked right onto the ride and were soon seeing Scuttle wishing us well on our journey.

That was the only picture I took on our Voyage. I will take a minute here to explain that I do not like to take ride photos with/without a flash for my own personal experiences. However, we did have a couple two cars down from us insistent on taking flash photos I know it may be some people's choice, and I'm not standing on my soapbox to promote no picture taking... but, turn the flash off, people.

Anyway...

Once off of our voyage, we realized that we had about 2 hours of time left before our amazing ADR for the evening. Off we traveled into Tomorrowland! ... BUT WAIT. WHO IS THAT?!?

.... well, I'll tell you because the large crowds made it impossible to get a great picture. It was PUSH! I only now realize it was probably the last performance we would see But it was still comical as he burped each time a child put garbage into him. He also proposed to a lady at one point.

We headed to space mountain and I pulled a fastpass for myself, since DH is not into this ride. We then headed to the Buzz Lightyear for a 15 min wait that was fairly accurate. DH won.. again. He has proof on his phone, or so he says, but I feel like without a picture it's not true. We also were able to quickly sneak into Monster's Inc as the doors were about to close. Sadly we were too far in the back to be picked for the show. It was still great!

I returned for my Space Mountain fastpass time and then we quickly left the park for a monorail ride to the Polynesian for our ADR.

Ohana ADR 6:55pm
We have done dinner at Ohana before, but this was our first time aiming to enjoy the fireworks over Magic Kingdom. We arrived around 6:45pm and had to wait until around 7pm to get in, which wasn't as bad as I have experienced in previous restaurants. I had requested close to the window and we were one row over, which still had a nice view. We enjoyed our dinner and I was concerned we might burn too much time, but it was very busy and slow service. It worked out for us though! Ohana is a favorite between DH and I because the food is always great and WAY too much. We saw the fireworks and it was an amazing experience. We continue to come here and will!

This was a great, unexpected day, but I was very aware of how short our time left in Disney was. Stay tuned for Day Six!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #37
scottny
You better have crackers

Little Mermaid is the one ride where they don’t yell about flashes or have signs up at least none that I have seen, I do not know why. In Paris Disney no signs or anything and people use them a lot. LOl. On POTC I cannot stand the flashes because of the darkness of the ride.
Sounds like a good time with dinner.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #38
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Little Mermaid is the one ride where they don’t yell about flashes or have signs up at least none that I have seen, I do not know why. In Paris Disney no signs or anything and people use them a lot. LOl. On POTC I cannot stand the flashes because of the darkness of the ride.
Sounds like a good time with dinner.
I haven't seen any either, now that I think about it. It's a bit more of a flashy and colorful ride, so that might be why. I'd agree on POTC though and possibly add my frustration on Nemo for similar reasons! It just ruins the magic
Old 03-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #39
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Day Six - Magical Memories

Day Six - Magical Memories at the Magic Kingdom

Well, hello again! Day Six dawned with some absolutely beautiful weather and yours truly in very high spirits for a full Magic Kingdom day! I woke up early and traveled to the Pop food court for some breakfast. DH had requested in his morning grumbling for an omelette with ham and cheese, and I elected for some fresh fruit alongside my diet coke - I swear I live on this stuff.

After we ate and DH finally got his slow self in gear, we caught the first awfully full bus to the Magic Kingdom. We walked in and I believe the time was roughly 10:30am. I was on a mission this morning to hit Thunder Mountain hard and with only a 20 minute wait, we did so. Unfortunately, as we were riding it began to grow cloudy and the rain started to fall. I was a little bummed because it was really coming down, which is something we only ever experience at Animal Kingdom (oddly enough). But, with Thunder Mountain out of the way, we popped open the umbrella I was fortunate to have thrown in the park bag that morning and dodged into a few indoor rides in the following order: Haunted Mansion, it's a small world, Pirates of the Caribbean.

I apologize for the lack of pictures, but believe me it was a race to each ride. After Pirates we darted to Cosmic Rays for lunch around 12:30 and it was a ghost town, shockingly. We ate and decided to call it for the afternoon and headed back for a nap/relaxing time.

But the strangest thing happened.... Florida weather is so tricky because we left a very wet Magic Kingdom and came back to a drizzling Pop Century which turned into a sunny, humid Pop Century within 30 minutes of being there! By 2pm you would have thought it hadn't rained a drop! But.. we took this time to finally visit the Hippy Dippy pool and enjoy the heat. By 5pm we were back on a bus to Magic Kingdom for our ADR and I was anxious to get some pictures! I really felt like a bad DISer for sure. Our ADR was for Be Our Guest and I was so very excited for this moment!

Be Our Guest ADR - Dinner 5:45pm
The experience at Be Our Guest was different than the other Disney locations I've dined at. You could tell this was a quick service, but they do a lot of work to hide that fact and it makes for a very neat dining experience. We were seated in the west wing which was really fun to experience the lightning, however a bit too dark in my opinion. DH and I both ordered steak (we are very carnivorous) and it was very good, but lacking in comparison to Le Cellier from earlier in the trip. For dessert I had the strawberry cupcake which was PHENOMENAL! I usually hate cupcakes or cakes in general, but this was so fruity flavored rather than too sweet. DH had the chocolate cupcake.

I believe we were too early in BOG's dining, because I never saw or heard of the "gray stuff" which is sad.. I would have loved to try it, but I asked the dishes and even they didn't know

For your viewing pleasure (because I've talked far too much this time) here are my shots of the dining areas after we decided to wander:

You have no idea how long it took me to actually catch the tears through the paper!

We must have eaten quickly because when we exited it was 6:45pm and just starting to get dark out. We heard the sounds of a celebration near the castle hub and headed on over. Stay tuned for our nighttime experiences!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #40
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Day Six, pt. 2 - Magical Memories

Day Six, part twp - Magical Nighttime!

When we last left off, DH and I were headed to the sounds of a celebration in the castle hub. We had to take the longer way around and skirt along Tomorrowland, but we finally came to the final showing of Dream Along with Mickey. The crowd was a bit lighter, so we scooted up towards the front to catch the last half of the show. I think this is a very cute stage show, but has been around for a few years, so I've grown a little tired of it. Regardless, we had a good spot for pictures!

After the show, DH and I were in a debate as to whether we wanted to claim an early spot for Wishes, or if she should attempt to hit another ride. We let the crowds begin to disperse until we hear the celebration parade music which ended our conversation. We waited at the hub near the castle stage for the parade to reach us! ... and then I had the song in my head the rest of the night.

After we did a little celebration dance to the setting sun, we followed the parade route back down main street until we were near Casey's. I found a table and DH ran for some popcorn, which was our usual Wishes treat. We snacked until closer to showtime, then got up and picked a spot with as little obstruction as we could manage. I always feel so around Wishes no matter where we decide to stand! But, as best as we could make it, here was our view:

So beautiful and just so Disney. It was a great ending to a great day. We headed back to Pop and picked up some snacks, refilled our mugs, and watched some tv before falling asleep. We only had one day left and I was starting to get the Disney blues!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #41
scottny
You better have crackers

Great update and pics.

It looked like a good day.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #42
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Day Seven - Swimming, but a poor ending

Day Seven - Swimming, but a poor ending

Our final Disney day was going to be a free-for-all with absolutely no plans in mind. We woke up later in the afternoon around 9:30am and had breakfast in the food court at Pop. The weather was showing signs of being an amazing day. We decided to head to Epcot for some shopping and drinks. We also grabbed some fish and chips in the UK, but ended up leaving the park around 2:00pm due to how nice it was and wanting to spend a little time in the pool.

Sadly, this is where it all went downhill. We spent the afternoon swimming until around 5pm when we got out to shower and relax before dinner. It was at this time that DH had a feeling as though water was stuck in his ear. We tried to shake it out, but it didn't seem willing to budge. He used a few Q-tips (though I warned him this may be a bad idea) and said it felt a little better. We headed off to dinner on the Boardwalk, though something still didn't seem right.

Kouzzina, 7:05pm
This place was packed! And sadly I hear it is now gone But to give you a quick review it was pretty delicious, though far too pricey. DH and I both had a dish that (though I forget the fancy name) was similar in style to lasagna and was very creamy and delicious. DH loved this restaurant and I was more just ok with it, but there no longer exists an option to go back, so the debate has been ended on part of Disney magic

We headed back to the room after I looked in a few shops on the Boardwalk. I should note that we elected to take DHS transportation and I tried to convince DH to let me pop in to see Fantasmic one last time, but he was really not feeling well at this point - he kept complaining that it felt like water was stuck in his ear. So we headed back and packed our things, making an early night due to our early rise for departing tomorrow.

....however, if you have been following along I will let you know that on the boardwalk, just as we were leaving, I found my matching Simba plushie

Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #43
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Day Eight - Headaches and Heading Home

Day Eight - Headaches and Heading Home

We were up early to head home as the DME was picking us up at 7am for our flight. Poor DH still felt like he had water in his ear and he was just miserable with cold-like symptoms that developed overnight and a headache from the ear pain. I was worried how he'd do on the flight.

We got to MCO early and sat waiting for our flight which was on time and smooth. Luckily, DH slept 75% of the way home and woke up still feeling crummy, but functioning. We were picked up by my mother and given a lift back to her place to retrieve our vehicles. From there it was 15 minutes home and I began unpacking all of our stuff while DH went to lie down. After about an hour, he asked if I would take him to the urgent care because his ear hurt so bad. DH never admits to feeling pain, so I knew he wasn't suffering from the "man cold". Urgent care was able to drain a lot of buildup in his ear (from this pending cold) which released pool water () and helped his pain a bit. He still had lingering irritation, but it was nothing like the pain he felt on the way home. After his cold ran its course, life was back to normal.

We enjoyed our trip despite the poor ending and we are looking forward to our next trip in December 2014. DH was reluctant to plan it, but it all came together. Feel free to follow along on that PTR... and thank you for joining me on this TR that I FINALLY FINISHED!

Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #44
scottny
You better have crackers

I hate water in the ear.
Kouzzina is there till September 30th.
Hey! “Man cold”. Okay I had it last week. LOl
Glad he is feeling better.
Be happy it happened at the end and not the beginning.
Great report.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: