Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

A Short but Not Sweet Trip Review *12-1 Pre-Trip Report Link

Our fifth trip, the one that was supposed to be the one where we finally did it all right. The first one was the get our feet wet, not know what we were doing, newbie trip. Trip two we had a 3 year old in a cast. Trip three there was 11 of us (never again) and Trip four was a short burst down to see the parks at Christmas.

Trip 5 was to be the much dreamed about, we finally know what we are doing, long relaxing, much needed vacation. We were going to do Pirates League as a family. All 5 of us hauled down elaborate pirate costumes. My husband and son were going to lunch with an Imagineer, my daughter and her daddy were going to do the Fireworks Dessert Party. We had tea planned (my girls were SO looking forward to this), we had ressies at BOG, Sci-Fi, Chef Mickeys and we had planned on a world tour around Epcot. We had haircuts and silouettes and a million more plans. And then the perfect ending: my babys 5th Birthday Breakfast with Cinderella in the Castle on her actual birthday - talk about a dream come true.

It was a trip that was going to finish out our annual passes with a bang. We activated them on her birthday last year (September 14th) and we were going to be able to use them for the last time on her birthday this year. We had rented points for our beloved 1 bedroom at the VWL. My husband had won a contest at work that netted him around $1900 in Visa gift cards about a month before the trip so our food/souvenir budget was nicely supplemented. In essence, this was going to be THE TRIP.

The best laid plans of mice and men...... (literally lol)

Short but Not Sweet Trip Report
You're NOT 5 Until You Eat Cake in the Castle - a Feb/Mar TR in Progress

Last edited by DopeyDonald; 12-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

The trip itself started off a bit rough, but nothing too ominous. Our plane had to circle Orlando for about 45 mins waiting for the Thunderstorm traffic to clear.

We found our rental car with no issues - I had done the Alamo prepay thing and we found a great van. But then after loading all our luggage and starting to drive out of the ramp, my husband and son spotted a better one and ACTUALLY stopped and swapped vans - I wanted to kill them. But bit my tongue and we rallied onto Disney.

We checked into our Villa and began the LONG trek to the room - it was seriously the FURTHEST room possible at the VWL, but who cares we were home. We make the walk - NONE of our keys work. I make the walk back to the front desk. Then the long walk back - STILL don't work. Then back to the desk - this time he sent someone with me and it's a good thing he did because they STILL didn't work. He told me I would have to check out and then check back in in the morning. *sigh* but still no worries we are HOME and loving it.

Had a great night's sleep and went down to get things straightened out in the AM. We had a split reservation anyway so we had to check out anyway. We asked to switch rooms at that point to something closer and were given an AWESOME room on the first floor around the corner from the front entrance - Yay!

This day we had breakfast scheduled for Ohana's. We made it over there no problems and had a great breakfast with our fave characters Mickey and Stitch. Food was wonderful and it was a great way to start our vacation.

After breakfast we headed to Magic Kingdom to start our fun. We hit all of our usuals - tea cups, Carousel, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh and Philarmagic. After our first day favorites we decided to head back and get settled (our new room hadn't been ready yet).

While we were unpacking my middle daughter mentioned that she didn't feel that well, so I whipped out my thermometer. Ugh - 100.7. I wasn't too worried as she doesn't travel well and usually is run down for the first few days of our trip. We cancelled our 50's PT reservation and my husband, son and other daughter headed out to MK to play some more while we rested in the room. I knew if she took it easy and rested the rest of the night she would be good as new in the A.M. (plus I didn't want to spread it around if she indeed was ill)

I ran down and got us supper at Roaring Fork and we had a quiet evening watching Stacey. The others watched Wishes at MK and came back and we were all in bed early anticipating a fun 2nd Disney day!

Last edited by DopeyDonald; 09-20-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added pics
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh no.... foreboding..... Sounds like this isn't going to be a quick bug. You have me hooked!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

Day 2 and we were ready to go - just as I had hoped my middle daughter was fine, no fever, no ill effects - ready and raring to go. Our plan for today was Animal Kingdom followed by Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-a-Long at Fort Wilderness.

We drove over to AK and got there around 10am (we are NOT early morning people) Park wasn't crowded and after a ticket fiasco (our AP's were NOT working well at all) that was resolved at Guest Services (where we scored a fastpass for all of us for any attraction) we were in the gates and off to enjoy "It's Tough to be a Bug". My youngest always thinks she likes this and then halfway thru realizes that she DOES NOT! lol

After fun with bugs we split up a bit - my DH took the older 2 to Everest, while my little one and I headed over to Dinoland to check out the face painting. She gets it done multiple times each trip.

We all connected again then to ride Dinosaur. My 11 year old HATES this ride but voluntarily rides it once a trip just so we can get a ride pic. He is always the only one in the car in the fetal position. It has become a family tradition - lol. I promise we do not make him do this, but he does feel so much better once he gets it out of the way.

After riding Dinosaur we headed over to Restaurantosaurus. I had the BLT chicken salad (which was awesome), my older 2 had the mac n cheese hot dogs and my little one wanted the corn dog nuggets that came in the pail. DH had headed out in search of the corn dog cart - which he never found lol. The kids and I ordered and found a table. I had no sooner sat down, when the little one started whining that her tummy hurt, which quickly escalated to that moan/whine that no parent wants to hear. I immediately dumped her corn dog nuggets out and threw the pail under her mouth. She never did get sick, but said she wanted to head back to the room. Dh happened to walk up at this point and not having found any corn dogs, happily ate DD's.

Her and I had packed up the stroller and were heading out. We found a cool spot in the shade so I could finish my salad since she was more comfortable now. I chalked her tummy up to being over heated and not having much to eat. She helped me finish my salad and we decided to just walk quietly around the park taking in some of hidden trails. We ended up having a grand time just the 2 of us exploring. We found the trails that led behind the Tree of Life and saw the GIANT tortoise.

After a bit of this she was feeling MUCH better so we called the rest of the fam and told them that we were still in the park and wanted to ride Kali with them before we left. That fast pass sure came in handy as it was a 40 minute wait. A thunder storm was rolling in too and I think we were some of the last people to make it on the ride! Oh, and my little one and I were "the seats" you know the ones that get completely soaked!! We no sooner made it of Kali when we realized that we'd better high tail it to the car or the rest of the family would look like my dd and I!

Last edited by DopeyDonald; 09-21-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

It was about 4pm when we left AK and we quickly realized that we would not be going to the Camp Fire Sing a Long. It was NOT going to be just a quick shower, but an all evening soaker. We cancelled our Trails End and made ressie for WCC. Hey - it was only day 2 of an 11 day trip - we'd have time right?! *dun dun dun

We all took naps and rested up for our 8:50 dinner reservation. We had an awesome dinner with an amazing server whom my middle daughter fell in love with and wanted to keep eating there so she could see her - lol.

After dinner we walked around our favorite place in the whole world and called it a night. My mother was flying in around supper time the next night. The girls were going to be staying with her for one night in a Royal Room at POR in honor of my daughter's 5th bday which was only a few days away. Normally, both my parents join us, but my dad opted not to this year.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
shalom
DIS Veteran

Oh, dear. Two kids feeling poorly in the first few days? In our family that usually means somethings being passed around and will likely slam someone.

Although I think you jinxed yourselves by saying beforehand "this one will be perfect." The fates totally perk up and take notice when people say that sort of thing.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Oh no.... foreboding..... Sounds like this isn't going to be a quick bug. You have me hooked!
You can't even imagine.... lol A bit more of a shameless tease : I am typing this from a hospital room.....

Old 09-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Oh, dear. Two kids feeling poorly in the first few days? In our family that usually means somethings being passed around and will likely slam someone.

Although I think you jinxed yourselves by saying beforehand "this one will be perfect." The fates totally perk up and take notice when people say that sort of thing.
Hindsight, I see now that that was my mistake - the FATES most definitely had fun with us......

Old 09-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Joining in! This does sound bad
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Oh no! I hope you are ok. However, this means you need to start planning trip #6 in order to do it right.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Cinderella909
Mouseketeer

Joining in too! The suspense is growing... hospital room...

But sounds like you were able to have some fun despite all the trials and tribulations!

Hangin' in there... Karen
Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
savannahcat
DIS Veteran

Since I have also spent some time in a hospital room during a Disney trip, I am joining in to see what happens next....

1985/1990 - Offsite * 9/1996 - All Star Sports * 11/2004 - Embassy Suites * 2/2005 - Embassy Suites * 4/2005 - Embassy Suites * 5/2005 - Embassy Suites * 10/2005 - Embassy Suites * 12/2006 - Windsor Hills * 5/2007 - Windsor Hills *10/2007 - Windsor Hills * 11/2008 - Windsor Hills * 1/2009 - Windsor Hills * 7/2009 - Swan * 10/2009 - Emerald Island * 6/2010 - AKV * 1/2011 - Barefoot'n in the Keys Resort * 6/2011 - AKV/Indian Creek * 6/2012 - Disney Dream * 6/2012 - BWV * 1/2013 Regal Oaks * 6/2013 BWV/SSR * 11/2013 BWV

Last edited by savannahcat; 09-21-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

Day 3 dawned and the girls and I were feeling sluggish so we decided that we would split up - the boys to MK to do some Sorcerers stuff and the girls and I would take it easy and then head to EPCOT - our fave.

The boys headed out around 10ish I suppose and the girls and I took it easy until close to noon. We left with the idea of taking it easy and just puttering around EPCOT doing the things that only the girls and I love - Figment, Living with the Land, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Spaceship Earth, Nemo and Club Cool. (Well the boys like a few of those, but not many )

First order of business was some lunch at Sunshine Seasons - I had the Mongolian Beef - which was super yummy. My middle DD had the Mac and Cheese - which she loved, and my little one had Cheetos *sigh I know, she just wasn't hungry and I wanted her to eat something....

Next up we walked right on Living with the Land - my girls and I LOVE this ride

I would love this job!

From there we headed right over to Nemo - walked right on that too! Course it was a very LONG walk to get on it - lol

We didn't get too many pics this day because I was just enjoying being with my girls and figured I'd take a lot more when we ALL went back later in the trip.

One thing I've never noticed before is the BEAUTIFUL view of Spaceship Earth from the Nemo area - how I've never not noticed that before is beyond me!

From here we wandered over to Figment. My girls like the ride OK - my little one HATES the skunk smell, but they both love the play area after the ride. We sadly bypassed this area - again, figuring we'd be back later that trip - because we needed to get going if we were going to get all of our stuff done before we headed over to POR to meet Nana.

After Figment we made a pit stop at Club Cool where I have hilarious video of me tricking the girls into drinking Beverly - I'll try and figure out how to post cause it is FUNNY!!

To be continued

Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

After Club Cool, we had time for one more ride. We chose to head over to Ellen and her Energy Adventure. When we walked into the ride it was a beautiful sunny day. When we walked out a nasty front was coming through.

We decided to make a break for the car. We made a pit stop at the bathrooms near SE and while I was in there with my little DD, my big DD came running in crying. Seems earlier in the day she had left her little purse on the chair at Sunshine Seasons. *sigh

Off to Guest Services in the monsoon. All that was in her purse was some change and a Brave Gift Card with around $33 in it. So I wasn't too hopeful that it would be found. Or at least found easily. BUT... they had it!! And I had one happy little girl!

From EPCOT we headed over to Down Town Disney so I could get my chocolate covered pineapple fix. Before leaving EPCOT I had planned on stopping in Germany at the Karamel Store, but with the rain I figured DTD would be easier. And it was and my pineapple was AMAZING!!

This was our sweet stop - the girls got slushies and each picked out some treats from the counter. Also, while in line they each got handed a HUGE wad of still warm cotton candy - YUM. Though at this point all my youngest had to eat this day was sugar oh and Cheetos.

After Goofy's and a little browsing in World of Disney we headed back to VWL to pack the girls overnight bag. They would be staying with my mom in a Royal Room at POR in honor of my little one's 5th Bday.

After packing we headed over to POR to wait for my mom, who was arriving on ME around 8pm.
Here we are waiting at POR

Love the photobomber in this one... lol

My mom arrived and we headed into Riverside Mill to eat. Having never been to another resort's food court, I thought it was quite interesting. I loved all of the choices, I just wished there was a better way of ordering if all of your party wants different stations. I had the ham dinner and my daughter wanted a chili dog (my little one and I went together and my mom took my other daughter so we didn't have to wait for all 4 of us to get our food). My food was getting cold while I waited in line for hers. But, that being said I did love the choices and thought it was nicer than Roaring Forks (which we love). I loved the food and the atmosphere - I can see us staying here in the future.

After eating we headed over to check out their room for the night. It was quite the trek to find their room, but once we found it, we found an easier way to get to it once we knew where it was (if that makes sense lol). The room itself was amazing - perfect for my daughter and her night with Nana.

I truly was impressed with these rooms. The detail was great - from the pictures of the princesses on the walls to the silouettes of the princes to the golden genie lamp faucets - NICELY done!

Once up in the room the girls and Nana changed into suits and we all headed to the quiet pool. It wasn't too far from their room and they were also close to the bridge that connected to the main part of POR. Nice location.
I wasn't going to swim because it was getting late already and I still had to drive back to VWL. I was going to go and watch and take some pics and then get going.

The quiet pool itself was very nice. There were no towels available though and I'm not sure if they were out or what. Since I wasn't swimming I made the trek over to the main POR pool and grabbed a bunch. It was kind of a trek, but not too bad.

Here are a few pool pics and pics of the grounds we took on the way to the room...

I headed back to VWL around 11 and the girls to the room. The next day we planned on switching to a 2 bedroom at VWL and heading to DHS.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
DopeyDonald
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
Oh no! I hope you are ok. However, this means you need to start planning trip #6 in order to do it right.
I'm working on doing Dec again lol We got major league gypped out of this trip as you'll soon find out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: