Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

You mean I DO get to go to WDW in 2014?? - Link to TR in post #523

You mean I DO get to go to WDW in 2014?????

That’s exactly what I said, “You mean we get to go to WDW in 2014?” Ruthie (luvchefmic) was there and she can verify it.

Those of you who know me are not surprised to know that I have my trips planned all the way through 2015 and am working on the rough outline for 2016. There was no room in 2014 for a trip to WDW with a road trip in early May, Gay Games in Cleveland in August and a cruise combined with a Lesbian and Gay Band Association trip in Oct/Nov. Fran said the cats would revolt and forget who we were so we couldn’t be gone that many times during the year.

Well, since we are taking friends with us in March of 2015, and we do have Disneyland right here, so I supposed we can live without it. We did go all the way from April 2001 until January 2007 without a trip. However, since buying DVC in 2007, we’ve been back every year with the exception of 2012 (due to medical reasons). So I was all ready to accept my fate.

And then on our last trip we went to Theme Park Connection…those of you who have been along for the ride on past TRs know that Fran loves to shop. She practically became TPC’s best customer at the D23 Expo (when I finish that TR you’ll have the final reveal). But we visited their warehouse in Orlando on this last trip to WDW, and when she found out that they were moving to a new, bigger and better warehouse, well she HAD to come back and see it! And that’s when she said it, “We should come back here next year when they are in their new location!”

Here we are at TPC with Ruthie, this is just after Fran said we could come back in 2014.

But it didn’t become real until November 6, when we actually booked our DVC stay. I was astonished that there was still an entire week available at the Villas at the Grand Floridian in a one bedroom unit. Now I supposed we were only one week past the 7 month mark, but still, I thought it would be years before we actually had a chance at staying there! I grabbed us an HA Villa since the BCV one worked out so nicely for us. I stole these pictures from Kat4Disney off the VGF Owners Thread. I hope that she doesn’t mind!

View:

The next step was flights. I began to look into flights to MCO and it appears that American Airlines has likely discontinued our favorite non-stop flight to Orlando from LAX. We learned on our trip to Atlanta this Fall that we can switch planes in DFW, but we need adequate time to do so. I was able to book us some flights with substantial layover times, our outbound flight has 2 ˝ hours layover and the return flight has almost three hours layover. I’m sure you think I’m crazy for wanting a longer layover, but with an airport that large and we move really slowly, we’d rather have a planned wait at the airport instead of miss our flight and have a forced wait.

Here’s the kicker. There were no reasonable flights that arrived on May 29th. Either they required three different legs, or a 1AM departure and the flight actually didn’t arrive until the 30th, AFTER our check in day. It turned out that to get a decent flight we would have to come in on Wednesday May 28th.

We ended up with these flights

Depart LAX 6:30 AM to DFW arrives at 11:30AM
Depart DFW 1:40PM to MCO arrive at 5:10PM

Hopefully 2 hours and 10 minutes will be a long enough layover to get from plane to plane.

Return flight

Depart MCO 11:45AM arrive DFW 1:35PM
Depart DFW 4:15PM arrive LAX at 5:35PM

Here we have a definitely comfortable 2˝ hours between flights

So the next question was where to stay? We have always wanted to stay at the Art of Animation since it opened, but I really didn’t want to stay in the Little Mermaid section. They can’t guarantee queen beds and the two bed rooms have doubles. We would have to sleep in two separate beds and after 17 years, that just doesn’t seem right!

One of the family suites in the Nemo, Cars or Lion King Section were running at $365 per night! Since that was the only value resort that appealed at all to us, we began looking at moderate resorts for the night. We have stayed at POR, Fran has stayed at CBR, so we decided that checking out CSR was the best option.

We were able to get an HA room, evidently it has a Queen Bed AND a King Bed! Not that we need two beds, but since they didn’t have a one King only available, we took the one King one Queen.

So flights, check!
Accomodations, check!

Next up, ADRS and plans!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Last edited by franandaj; 06-17-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: updating title
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
franandaj

Saved for links

The Plan
My Magic Plus Rant
Day 1 Plans
Mini PTR for DL trip
Day 2 Plans
Day 3 Plans
Day 4 Plans
Kicking off a very lazy couple of days
Another Lazy Day Part 1
Another Lazy Day Part 2
Finally you know we are at a Theme Park Part 1
Finally you know we are at a Theme Park Part 2
Wrapping up our staycation Part 1
Wrapping up our staycation Part 2
Star Wars Homework Part 1
Star Wars Homework Part 2
Star Wars Homework Part 3
Day 5 plans
A FP+ Tutorial
An Off Campus Field Trip
Plans or not?
Warner Bros Part 1
Warner Bros Part 2
Warner Bros Part 3
Warner Bros Part 4
Warner Bros Museum Part 1
Warner Bros Museum Part 2
Warner Bros Museum Part 3
A DISmeet at the parks
Celebrity Dinner Part 1
Celebrity Dinner Part 2
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Last edited by franandaj; 04-20-2014 at 04:13 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

You get to go in 2014! I'm so happy for you. And the VGF? Swanky. It looks amazing. Pam's report has got me wanting to give it a go.

Am I first? I feel special.

I prefer longer layovers as well. I finished my October 2013 report today and when you read it, you'll know why. Two hours is perfect.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

You going down there the same time as us again. Although we are there only 2 nights at BWV that weekend for Star Wars stuff.
Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Yay!!!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Whoop! I am excited for you!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Yay! Another Fran and Alison trip! So excited you found a whole week at VGF! That is awesome.

Jill in CO
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Checking in. I am glad that you have the accommodation and flights booked. I know Graham has visited CSR a few times and really loves it. I am with you on the long layovers. Whenever we fly indirect we go for a nice long layover, too.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Im here! I have to come back to read but I'm here!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
You get to go in 2014! I'm so happy for you. And the VGF? Swanky. It looks amazing. Pam's report has got me wanting to give it a go.

Am I first? I feel special.

I prefer longer layovers as well. I finished my October 2013 report today and when you read it, you'll know why. Two hours is perfect.
You are first, and you are special! I'm hoping it will be enough. I'm hoping that they bring her a wheelchair to get from gate to gate since the scooters will be checked through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
You going down there the same time as us again. Although we are there only 2 nights at BWV that weekend for Star Wars stuff.
Perhaps we might run into each other. We are planning to do the SWW stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Yay!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Whoop! I am excited for you!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Yay! Another Fran and Alison trip! So excited you found a whole week at VGF! That is awesome.

Jill in CO
I know! I couldn't believe my luck, I thought it would be years before I got in at the 7 month mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
Checking in. I am glad that you have the accommodation and flights booked. I know Graham has visited CSR a few times and really loves it. I am with you on the long layovers. Whenever we fly indirect we go for a nice long layover, too.

Corinna
We won't have a lot of time to check it out fully, but we plan on a little bit of time to go around the grounds and have a look see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Im here! I have to come back to read but I'm here!
Well, let me know what you think when you get back!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
franandaj

The Plans

So our ADR window opened up while we were up at my folks over Thanksgiving. I should have been up at 3AM that morning, but I forgot and didnt take care of it until around 8AM my time. We wanted to try BOG and so that was the first reservation that I tried for. I got it but there was only one time slot available, so I nabbed it. And this was using my 7 day advance reservations for our last night (which we strategically planned to get the most out of our 180 day window). We also got Le Cellier and a few others. Here are how the plans have worked out so far.

Day 1, Wednesday, May 28th, 2014
Fly to MCO take DME to Coronado Springs Resort
Dinner at Pepper Market

Day 2, Thursday May 29th, 2014
Breakfast at the Resort
Check out the Resort
Bus to MK, Monorail to GF, check in
MK until room is ready
Get settled in room
Dinner at 1900 Park Fare

Day 3, Friday May 30th, 2014
Quick breakfast in room
Head over to DHS for SWW
Lunch at QS DHS
More SWW stuff
Dinner in the room, Chinese Chicken Salad and maybe some Frozen Asian appetizers.

Day 4, Saturday May 31st, 2014
Quick breakfast in room,
Head over to DHS for SWW, if there is something different from Friday (if not all bets are off and we are free to do what we want to do!)
Lunch at QS DHS (see above)
More SWW stuff (see above)
Dinner in the room, Turkey Club Sandwiches, chips and summer salad.

Day 5, Sunday June 1st, 2014
Quick breakfast in room, or not?
Head over to DHS for SWW, if there is something different from Friday and Saturday (if not all bets are off and we are free to do what we want to do!)
Lunch at QS DHS (see above)
More SWW stuff (see above)
We could also go to Epcot
Dinner at Narcoosees @ 7:15PM

Day 6, Monday June 2nd , 2014
Possible day to go to TPC
Otherwise Epcot
Dinner at Le Celier 7:15PM

Day 7, Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014
Go to AK
Late Lunch at Sanaa 2:30PM
Probably eat leftovers in the room for dinner.

Day 7, Wednesday, June 4th, 2014
Possible day to go to TPC?
Otherwise MK
Dinner at Be Our Guest 5:55PM

Day 8, Thursday, June 5th, 2014
Check out of hotel early
Take DME back to MCO for the trip home.

Im not sure well be booking the one hour early DME this trip. Already we will have to have our bags packed and ready to go by 8AM to get them checked to the airport. Catching the 8:45 DME might be tough on us.

So I bet everyones big question is what chunk of meat will she be throwing in her suitcase this time?" Well Im not! Most of you know about a year ago I traveled with a Prime Rib that visited the Titanic Exhibition in the back of Frans Scooter before it was cooked into four totally different glorious meals on different nights of our trip.

Last trip I brought a couple of Tri Tips along for a big DISmeet that we had over near the Barbeque Grills at the Beach Club. However, with temperatures in the high 80s to 90s in May/June, large chunk of meat cooked in a hot steamy oven in the Villa, just didnt resound with me. I thought about making a pot of spaghetti sauce, but again not in hot weather. Since I cook so many hams and turkeys at home, we always have sliced sandwich meat in the freezer so we decided to bring some of each. The ham will be for snacks in the room. The turkey will be combined with bacon for Club sandwiches for dinner.

In addition, those of you who are familiar with Costcos Chinese Chicken salad will know that they have a little bag of chicken, along with non-perishables (dressing, Chinese croutons, etc). Im going to toss those in with the sliced turkey and ham. By ordering our produce from the grocery service we can round out our meals nicely.

Here is my grocery list so far. Im sure that it will change in the next few months.

Grocery list

12 pack cans mountain dew
6 pack bottles diet Dr. Pepper
White Bread sliced
Head iceberg lettuce
4 cucumbers
4 tomatoes on the vine
1 red onion
1 lb bacon
6 Yoplait Lowfat Yogurts (4 strawberry, 1 raspberry, 1 blueberry)
˝ dozen eggs
Smallest pack of real butter available
Original Kettle Chips from Lays
V8
˝ gallon 2% milk
2 individual servings honey nut cheerios

Here are some of the things that I definitely want to do on this trip.

Go to sleep the night before we fly!

More rides!
Hopefully they will have worked out the glitch with the Premier Passports and we can actually book FP+ online by the time the trip rolls around. Besides the fact that I had so many F&W events to get to, we didnt do nearly enough rides last trip. I plan to change that this trip.

I want to try the Sorcerers of the MK game. Several friends have commented on it and it sounds like great fun.

Relax by the pool

Maybe get a spa treatment

Well thats it for this update. I think thats quite a list for now!

Last edited by franandaj; 01-01-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I'm loving these plans! No V & A's this trip?

At first I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you were talking about CSR. You booked the VGF first and flights after? I enjoyed CSR a lot, my dad took me and some friends when I graduated 8th grade. I remember the pool was very cool.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I'm loving these plans! No V & A's this trip?

At first I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you were talking about CSR. You booked the VGF first and flights after? I enjoyed CSR a lot, my dad took me and some friends when I graduated 8th grade. I remember the pool was very cool.
Yeah, we went ahead and booked the VGF for a week not worrying about other plans. Then we really couldn't get a flight that worked coming in on the first day of the trip so the only option was to come in a day early. DARN! We already had to borrow some points to book this trip (I rented out a whole lot of points last year, to the point that my dues were more than covered, but I didn't have enough to book this trip.) I borrowed points to book the week and when we needed to add a day we thought about just adding a day on points, but we want to stay at all the Disney resorts.

It would have been 48 points for another night at VGF, at $10 a point that's $480, Fran wants to charge $12 a point in the future so even more. The CSR is only about $200 for the night and we get in kind of late so why spend all the points/money when we get in late? Besides now we get to check out another resort!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #14
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great looking plans. I'm glad you got BoG! I assume that they serve the Strawberry soup at dinner at 1900?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 AM   #15
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

I'm in! I was confused about the CSR vs the Grand Floridian so thanks for asking Pam! I understand now makes sense re points :-)

Great re TPC! Jo and I are so going to have to check that out! Wohhoo to Star Wars weekend us too :-) can't wait!

Great you managed to sneak in this trip. Our May SWW trip is a sneaky one too!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: