Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
chinarider
DIS Veteran

Dining Plan Calculators

I have been going back and forth and running numbers on SeeYaReelSoon and distripplanned- in anyone's experience, which one is more accurate? SeeYaReelSoon increases the price of the meal (even under reg DP) if you put in that you want appetizers ( so you dont really get an even comparison)- I can kind of work around that however... between the two with the same exact informaton I get the following
DisTripplanner- $1244 OOP- includes 1 app, 1 snack (per person, per day), 2 desserts per meal and two mugs
SeeYaReelSoon- $1263 OOP- average price meals with no apps(snack, desserts and mugs included)- $1319 -OOP avg meal including apps and $1456-OOP high meal including apps

So, if anyone has used both to compare in the past, which have you found to be more on target? Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
MISSYLEXI
Mouseketeer

I know of 2.

This one is a web site and seems to be more up to date: http://www.distripplanner.com/ I used this one.

The other one is a PDF: http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyare...alculator/cxc0
2004-POR
2005-POR
2006-POR
2007-POR
2008-POR
2013-POR
MISSYLEXI is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
chinarider
DIS Veteran

yes, those are the two that I have used and they have large differences so, it just makes it more complicated
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
lpanderson
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the websites! It is definitely going to help me figure out dining plan or not.
lpanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
VeronicaB
Mouseketeer

Those are great references to have!

Me (Disney crazed woman) DH (Just along for the ride) DS 6 DD 2
VeronicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry no one seems to be answering your question, OP.

I haven't used either of the calculators, but I'm wondering if taking the apps out of the equation would help. Since the DDP doesn't include them, it might be skewing things a bit. Have you tried doing them without the apps?
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
chinarider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
I'm sorry no one seems to be answering your question, OP.

I haven't used either of the calculators, but I'm wondering if taking the apps out of the equation would help. Since the DDP doesn't include them, it might be skewing things a bit. Have you tried doing them without the apps?
Thanks, yes I've tried both ways. Havent played around with it for over a week now. It just got too over consuming. Some of the prices , I know are inaccurate. So, I was just curious if others had noticed differences and which were more accurate. I think I decided not to do the dining plan however, now I might be teetering back towards doing it. Not sure if there are going to be buffet and AYCE increases for spring. I know that I need to decide one way or another within the next few weeks because where I eat decides which Fast Passes I request.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
fuzzylogicllc
www.infinitrader.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarider View Post
I have been going back and forth and running numbers on SeeYaReelSoon and distripplanned- in anyone's experience, which one is more accurate?

So, if anyone has used both to compare in the past, which have you found to be more on target? Thanks
I just tried distripplanner.com for fun to see what it comes up with. I plugged in all our meals... It wasn't bad... it overstated costs by about $300, or 15%. It also figured I would get a whopping $11 savings on the DDP which is kinda far off.

I think its main problem is the fact that when we get a QS lunch, we hardly ever order 5 things (one for each person) rather we'd get 3 things and split them. Thus our OOP costs would be less, but likewise our QS points go a lot further.

I've always just done this myself on a spreadsheet... put down approximately what I'd order, figuring in ways we'd be generally frugal like sharing a soda or dessert... and on this trip, I come up with saving $173 by my actual calculations by using the DDP after factoring in all the QS, snacks and refillable mugs that we would actually buy otherwise.

As a rule of thumb... if 1/2 or more of your TS points would be spent on Buffet-Style restaurants, then the DDP would likely be a good value. If more than half of your TS points would be spent on Menu-Service restaurants, then the DDP would more likely cost you more than OOP. If you are about half-and-half, then the DDP is going to be approximately break-even. This presumes you generally prefer more expensive entrees... if you don't and are more of a salad/chicken/pasta type then it's very hard to make the DDP pay off.

Happy to send you my spreadsheet if you like,
-mike

2015/Dec -- Where to stay? If you have BC or BLT DVC and would want to rent out pls contact.
2014/May WDW Contemporary / LLFL
2012/Sep WDW Polynesian / LLFL
2010/Aug WDW Polynesian
2007/Jun Disneyland / LLCA *Opening of Finding Nemo*
2004/Sep Disneyland / LLCA
2002/Oct Disneyland
1998/Dec Disneyland / USH
1995/Dec Disneyland
1983 WDW Polynesian *Epcot*
1979 WDW Contemporary
1978 WDW Contemporary *MK & River Country*
fuzzylogicllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
chinarider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogicllc View Post
I just tried distripplanner.com for fun to see what it comes up with. I plugged in all our meals... It wasn't bad... it overstated costs by about $300, or 15%. It also figured I would get a whopping $11 savings on the DDP which is kinda far off.

I think its main problem is the fact that when we get a QS lunch, we hardly ever order 5 things (one for each person) rather we'd get 3 things and split them. Thus our OOP costs would be less, but likewise our QS points go a lot further.

I've always just done this myself on a spreadsheet... put down approximately what I'd order, figuring in ways we'd be generally frugal like sharing a soda or dessert... and on this trip, I come up with saving $173 by my actual calculations by using the DDP after factoring in all the QS, snacks and refillable mugs that we would actually buy otherwise.

As a rule of thumb... if 1/2 or more of your TS points would be spent on Buffet-Style restaurants, then the DDP would likely be a good value. If more than half of your TS points would be spent on Menu-Service restaurants, then the DDP would more likely cost you more than OOP. If you are about half-and-half, then the DDP is going to be approximately break-even. This presumes you generally prefer more expensive entrees... if you don't and are more of a salad/chicken/pasta type then it's very hard to make the DDP pay off.

Happy to send you my spreadsheet if you like,
-mike
Mike- I sent you a PM- it's just 2A, we are doing a number of Buffets ( Boma D,CP-B, TH-B ) and also MMF however, 2 of those below the averaged cost of a TS on the DDP. Trying to weigh out all the options. Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: