Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #61
XrayChicken
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for loving my name!

As for the QOTD, I've never used a food journal before so I can't speak from personal experience. Everyone that I know that uses one swears by it though. I've decided to try using My Fitness Pal so we will see how I do. I really want to get a FitBit for my birthday next month and I've read that it works well with My Fitness Pal.

Anyone here using a FitBit? If so how do you like it?
XrayChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #62
JillyBean1899
Shiny

I think it depends on the person. I'm too busy to sit and read all the packages of food that I eat, or go online and try to figure out if the apple I'm going to eat hast 70 or 80 calories, or whatever. I have a general idea of what I'm eating, and using that as an estimate is all I do to "track" food. I keep pre-packaged snacks (like granola bars or beef jerky) that I know the caloric content of for when I get the munchies (and when I get cravings, I wait at least 15 minutes to see if it will pass before I act on it).

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #63
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by honkytonkmama View Post
Am I too late to join in?? I did not know about this! :D
It's never to late to join one of our challenges! The instructions for joining are in the first couple of posts. Jump in and start chatting away. :
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #64
RoyalMom
Mouseketeer

on my way, peeps... I don't blame December, or the holidays... but January is gonna be SO much healthier! checking in tomorrow, I'm not stepping on the scale until then...

:D

DH Me DD8 DD6 DS3
RoyalMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #65
honkytonkmama
Mouseketeer

"Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss? "

Totally! I sometimes have issues with obbessing over numbers, and get burned out, BUT it has served me well over the past 6 months. I go back and forth between MFP, sparkpeople, and loseit. I like have an app that I can scan barcodes. Im lazy, lol.
Aug 2015 - POR 7 days
https://www.facebook.com/lhammupanduptravel
honkytonkmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #66
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayChicken View Post

As for the QOTD, I've never used a food journal before so I can't speak from personal experience. Everyone that I know that uses one swears by it though. I've decided to try using My Fitness Pal so we will see how I do. I really want to get a FitBit for my birthday next month and I've read that it works well with My Fitness Pal.

I have a fitbit! I LOVE it.

boy did I especially love it in Disney. I'd get back to the room at the end of the day and look and it would say 27,800 steps (for example) and I'd be like- UP AN AT EM! We are SO hitting 30,000 by midnight!

Very motivational for me and I NEVER take it off. Since August 1st.

HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #67
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Well, I do xray for a living. I once had a tshirt that had a chicken on it and the words "Xray Chick". Loved that shirt.

I was very intriqued as I'm an RT also! I work in a small PCP office for a large corporation in our small town; we do a lot of chest x-rays for physicals and believe it or not we are still film based I've been per diem there for about 6 years now

ok, Lisa I did not remember to weigh in this morning! I will set my scale so I trip over it tomorrow! and I will coach Jan 16 - 20 ( I inserted my name in your post for you)

food journals -- wow twice the success!!! you all know I struggle soooo much with that and MFP has logged me out of my automatical log-in b/c it's been so long since I was on.

fitbit -- my fitbit. it does sync with MFP and also with your walgreens rewards account and you get reward points for your miles

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #68
lisah0711
her Disney office

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
QOTD Thursday January 2, 2014: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?

Yes, definitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

80% of weight loss is managing what goes in your mouth. 20% is exercise. (These are my personal "statistics" not scientific)

It's too easy to forget where you stand at the end of the day and if you can "afford" that snack you're eyeing unless you have written things down.

I've been a yo-yo dieter for 10 years. When I fail it's because I wasn't keeping track and fell into my old ways and before I knew it I've been off the diet again for weeks.

This time around was different. I started using my fitness pal and I can honestly say I haven't put a bite in my mouth before I added it to MFP since August.

No more yo-yo.

Almost 30 pounds lost.
Congratulations on a great loss last year! And the 80/20 rule has basis in science as well as your own personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
QOTD 2nd Jan........yes, tracking food is definitely key.

I keep a 'food diary' as part of my weight loss programme. I simply buy a pretty page-a-day diary and keep it with me (I'm willing to keep it with me and fill it in because it is pretty!!...I'm so shallow!)

I write down everything I have consumed, along with the 'syn' values etc (a bit like WW points I think, but a different plan) then I write about my day, not just food related stuff but other challenges and victories, what made me feel good, what made me feel bad etc. Doing this helps me loads when I am having a bad time - I can look back for food ideas, exercise tips, see what worked and what didn't, and can also track ToM issues!!!! I'd recommend it to anyone.

My Slimming World leader finds it a bit freaky and thinks I'm far too obsessed with it, but I just reply that she should be proud of my 71lb loss under her guidance!!!!
Obviously what you are doing is working great for you, Helen, you've been so successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Yes, definitely! It's the only way I have ever lost weight over the years.

My husband has been wanting/needing to lose 50 pounds for the past 9 years. I always nagged him to kept track of what he was eating and count his calories. He found out in October that he was pre diabetic (no surprise really) but it scared him enough to try to lose weight.

He started writing everything down and counting his calories and guess what? He has lost 30 pounds since October! Now he is my inspiration!
Congrats to your DH on his weight loss! I'm sure that you will be inspiring him soon yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspicex4 View Post
AMEN to this! This is the way I lost 18 lbs. between July and November of last year. Tracked everything and watched my fats/carbs/protein balance.

BTW, I am back after an absence of several weeks. Now that the holidays are past I am determined to lose the final 5 lbs. The good news is that while I was "away" I only went up 1.5 lbs. from my lowest weight in November.
Nice to see you! Congratulation on maintaining your weight loss during the holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryana View Post
Good morning, ladies!

I am so not ready for the winter storm that is about to hit the mid-atlantic/northeast tonight into tomorrow! And on top of that, my little sister is supposed to fly in from Milwaukee for her christmas visit tomorrow morning! Someone get me to florida ASAP! lol

QOTD:

Another firm "yes" from me! I find that since I started tracking calories, I am pretty decent about what I eat even when I don't do it because I have more of an idea of what most things are. I maintain pretty well when I don't track, but I am another one of you that if I'm not tracking, I'm not losing, and that's been my biggest problem over the last month or so. I fired up my trusty MFP account the other day and while I haven't been trying to stay under my calorie goal (just getting back in the swing of logging everything), I have already felt so much better about everything because it really makes you think.
Yep, that little pause can sometimes be the difference in making a good choice or a better one for sure.

for safe travels for your sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willonlyflytodisney View Post
I think that's an adorable story! How cool!

Yes - definitely! The only time I successfully lost weight was with Weight Watchers. Yes, it started out all about portion control for me - but it ended up being about accountability. Tracking my food on WW was like having a friend that I had to tell what I ate that day. Once I got in the hang of it, I found the days that I slipped were the days that I didn't track!!

There are definitely days where I specifically DIDN'T track (*ahem* New Year's Eve), but I always feel great about it when I do.

Hope everyone's excited about this east cost Nor'easter! Seems like here in NYC, we'll only be getting a few inches
My WW leader is fond of saying track only on the days you want to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
Morning, everyone!

QOTD: I absolutely think tracking is critical. It's one of the most black and white things about weight loss for me - if I track, I lose. If I don't track, I don't lose. Even knowing that, though, it's hard for me to track all the time, especially around holidays and travel times when my routine is upended. Just going to work on doing the best I can!

Speaking of travel, I'm heading to a short conference in Philly tomorrow. I'm driving up, as it's not that far for me, and I'm going to go early to try and catch a break on the weather. Should be interesting...I think Philly is south enough that it won't be too bad, but I'll be glad to get to my hotel and just chill out until my work starts!

Stay safe and warm, everyone - I'm looking at you, New England and New York!
for safe travels for you, Liz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post
YES !! I need to track to be successful.. I plan on starting that again..

I assume we already did intro, I don't have time to go back the 4 pages to see .. I just got back after being off from work from 12/20 YAY.. but busy busy..

I am Michelle - Wife to Hubs of 5 yrs, Mom to DD 20 and DS 17 and Hunny our new 3 yr kitty we adopted from the shelter just before Thanksgiving.. I like to read, watch TV and wish I could be a hermit in the Winter.. Today is the prime example of why - we are getting 2-4 inches of snow during the daytime hours and 9 - 14 more inches after dark and into tomorrow morning!

I am using my WI 178.4 lbs for both 1/1 and 1/3 and hope to lose 2.4 by month end. Hope that if I post this I'll be held just a bit more accountable.. and that should be an attainable goal..

Hubs and I are starting at they gym on 1/6 (he needs medical clearance -as he had epilepsy) and I am thinking we can go 4 days a week Mon, Tue, Thur and Fri to start for at least 30 mins and work up to an hour in a few weeks - we are both couch potatoes even though Hubs is a chef and on his feet all day.. the new Zumba Classes start on 1/14 and I might do that as one day of my "gym" while Hubs is on the treadmill or bikes or whatever he is going to do..

I am not sure if I'll just be watching and tracking what I eat or if I'll try to go back to atkins.. I think it'll be a combo of low carb, portion control and exercise.. I have been feeling really out of control and BLEH for weeks know that it's my bad habits so time to fix it!

I'll see you all next week! Happy New Year everyone! Michelle
Nice to see you, Michelle!

Quote:

There are quite a few people on this thread who use My Fitness Pal. Be sure and share your user names you MFP folks if you want some extra accountability and support.

A lot of people have great success with a FitBit. There are several threads about it on the WISH boards. I currently use an ActiveLink which is a WW tool that is similar, except it goes by WW points. If I ever lose it I will be replacing it with a FitBit. It is fun to keep track. Just this morning my ActiveLink told me that I increased my activity by 51% in 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
I think it depends on the person. I'm too busy to sit and read all the packages of food that I eat, or go online and try to figure out if the apple I'm going to eat hast 70 or 80 calories, or whatever. I have a general idea of what I'm eating, and using that as an estimate is all I do to "track" food. I keep pre-packaged snacks (like granola bars or beef jerky) that I know the caloric content of for when I get the munchies (and when I get cravings, I wait at least 15 minutes to see if it will pass before I act on it).
It sounds like you have figured out what works for you. It doesn't matter how great something is, it won't be successful unless is works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMom View Post
on my way, peeps... I don't blame December, or the holidays... but January is gonna be SO much healthier! checking in tomorrow, I'm not stepping on the scale until then...

:D
Thanks for joining us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honkytonkmama View Post
"Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss? "

Totally! I sometimes have issues with obbessing over numbers, and get burned out, BUT it has served me well over the past 6 months. I go back and forth between MFP, sparkpeople, and loseit. I like have an app that I can scan barcodes. Im lazy, lol.
Saving favorites can also help speed that process. Sometimes you can even save meals you eat often, i.e. breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
I have a fitbit! I LOVE it.

boy did I especially love it in Disney. I'd get back to the room at the end of the day and look and it would say 27,800 steps (for example) and I'd be like- UP AN AT EM! We are SO hitting 30,000 by midnight!

Very motivational for me and I NEVER take it off. Since August 1st.
That is so cool! Which FitBit do you have?

A word about tomorrow's weigh in: Our traditional weigh in days are Friday so that is why we have a weigh in already tomorrow. This weigh in is optional. I just did not want to have ten long days between weigh ins and I will take your numbers all through the week-end.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #69
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

QOTD--I think tracking is a great tool. And I think it really aids in weight loss. But I really hate doing it, and rarely make it more than a couple of days at a time. We make almost all our meals from scratch, and a lot of times vegetarian meals have a ton of ingredients. I am often just too unmotivated to enter all the stuff in mfp to figure out my calories for the day. I have found that if I am vigilant portion control works for me. Excuses, excuses, I know.

Ok, hit the Y for 30 min on the amt, 30 min on the tm, and 15 min on the bike. Drank 32oz of water, did my planks, and meditated. As long as I behave myself with the food, it should be a positive day.

Have a great day!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #70
lisah0711
her Disney office

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohMom View Post
I was very intriqued as I'm an RT also! I work in a small PCP office for a large corporation in our small town; we do a lot of chest x-rays for physicals and believe it or not we are still film based I've been per diem there for about 6 years now

ok, Lisa I did not remember to weigh in this morning! I will set my scale so I trip over it tomorrow! and I will coach Jan 16 - 20 ( I inserted my name in your post for you)

food journals -- wow twice the success!!! you all know I struggle soooo much with that and MFP has logged me out of my automatical log-in b/c it's been so long since I was on.

fitbit -- my fitbit. it does sync with MFP and also with your walgreens rewards account and you get reward points for your miles
Thanks for volunteering to coach, Molli!

And for plugging yourself into the coaching schedule -- where were you when it was time to go through all the PMs and update the spreadsheet?!?

Thanks for the reminder about the Walgreens account link. I need to figure out how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
QOTD--I think tracking is a great tool. And I think it really aids in weight loss. But I really hate doing it, and rarely make it more than a couple of days at a time. We make almost all our meals from scratch, and a lot of times vegetarian meals have a ton of ingredients. I am often just too unmotivated to enter all the stuff in mfp to figure out my calories for the day. I have found that if I am vigilant portion control works for me. Excuses, excuses, I know.

Ok, hit the Y for 30 min on the amt, 30 min on the tm, and 15 min on the bike. Drank 32oz of water, did my planks, and meditated. As long as I behave myself with the food, it should be a positive day.

Have a great day!
If it's working for you then no worries, right?

What the heck is the amt by the way? It sounds kind of scary.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #71
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

http://www.precor.com/en-us/commerci...r-products/amt

It is kind of brutal. And I have to watch my knee--it tweaks a little if I overdo it, but man I am dripping wet after 30 minutes. It is quite the workout.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #72
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
QOTD January 1, 2014: Please introduce yourself and tell us a little about your goals for the challenge and the rest of the year. You don't have to share numbers, it can be general.
Hey I'm Susan, I'm 44, married 24 years, daughter 25, son 23. About 30 cats right now--too scared to count. I've worked at the same grocery store about 22 years now. Originally from Illinois, have lived in Oregon most of my life apart from stints in California. I set a big goal this month 5 pounds but It's getting desperate- I only have 2 pairs of work pants I fit in comfortably and I refuse to buy more. I "found" facebook about 5-6 months ago (thanks to my Mom pressuring) so kind of dropped out of the challenges because I was spending what little time I have on that. I need to be on here though. I'd like to get back down to 140 eventually. I've gained a bunch of weight in the last 6-7 months but I've also been really into strength training and doing really well with building muscle. I spend a lot of time at the gym.

Quote:
QOTD Thursday January 2, 2014: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely
* Maybe, it depends on the person
* No, I don't think it's necessary
Yep. It's funny- I was just thinking I'd start at least just writing stuff down although I'm not up to MFP yet.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #73
DisFam95
DIS Veteran

Journaling definitely helps me. I don't feel I need to be so specific like someone mentioned some things list an apple as 70 vs 80 at another site. Just write down apple and pick one. I don't freak over small calorie differences. It's those bites here and there that add up. Sometimes just writing the item down without listing the numbers is enough so you can recall 'oh ive already eaten 4 Hershey kisses, 3 of my kids leftover nuggets, etc' during the day. It just helps me be more mindful.

Well today started off great w/ a good hour long speed walk on the treadmill incline. Lunch however I seemed to have forgotten my goals as we ate at El Fenix!! Man it's hard to keep your hands out of the chip bowl! We did tell the man to stop bringing them though and I sat on my hands at one point so I guess it could have been worse. I just need to make dinner choices better!
Sum/74; Sum/78; Sum/82; Sum/87 Polynesian; Sum/93 Caribbean Beach; 8/95 Port Orleans - Honeymoon; 5/97; 8/99 Caribbean Beach; 9/01 Wilderness Lodge - became a DVC member!!!; 12/02; 1/04; 2/05; 2/06; 10/06; 5/08 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/11 Wildreness Lodge
Me DH DS12 DS8
DisFam95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #74
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary•Poppins View Post
[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]

Hey Jill, I am still teaching. Work has been hectic this year. A fellow teacher retired last year and they didn't replace her.

I was running and completed the Tower of Terror in October. I loved it. (I could really get hooked on Disney races.) Unfortunately, after the race, I quit running. I just signed up for the Pittsburgh 1/2 marathon. I think I need a race to keep me focused.

One of these days I am going to meet you in person at a race around here! LOL
My work laid a teacher off and didn't replace, so my year has been hectic as well We have less students, though, and an awesome staff in my high school boys rooms which had made this year pretty good.

Congrats on the ToT race! When I was looking for a 1/2 to do, I was considering the Pittsburgh 1/2, but I'm not sure I can train for a May race. So, I figured I'd do a fall 1/2 so I can run throughout summer and then only have another month to train when I go back to work in the fall. DSs have started to be more involved with soccer and it takes away both Saturdays and Sundays. DS10 plays travel on Sundays and we've been all over (up to Erie and Warren, PA which is about 2.5 hours from here).

Did you run the 5k at Pitts Zoo this year? My sister, BIL, and I did the Biggest Loser 1/2 in Erie in August at Presque Isle. My BIL ran and my sister and I walked because she can't run with her knees anymore. It was so much fun and flat! This year the race is in June and they moved it to the Penn State Behrend campus...I'm guessing because of the insanity getting to the start of the race at the back of Presque Isle. Many people missed the start due to traffic getting backed up.

We should try for a Western PA Liner race meetup with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

Which brings me to the QOTD.

* Yes, definitely
* Maybe, it depends on the person
* No, I don't think it's necessary

I'll be back with my own answer and some replies.
Yes, definitely! When I track my food, I do so much better. I am currently back to using My Fitness Pal and love using the app as I'm eating so I don't forget. I love sweets and when I am not tracking my food, I can go a *tad* overboard with cookies or candy. I've sat down with 5 Oreos and a minute later not even realize I had eaten them all! When I track my food, I ask myself if things are really worth it before I eat it. I would love to have a Reese Cup right now, but it is just not worth the calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
http://www.precor.com/en-us/commerci...r-products/amt

It is kind of brutal. And I have to watch my knee--it tweaks a little if I overdo it, but man I am dripping wet after 30 minutes. It is quite the workout.
This is the machine I tried at the gym (although it's called an ARC trainer at my gym) and I said I was sweating terrible after about 10 minutes. My legs felt like jello when I got off. Next time, I won't use any or very low resistance. It is an awesome workout and I love something different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good evening I hope the weather isn't too bad for the people in the Northeast. We had about 6 inches of snow that started around 8 am and stopped around 6 pm. Now the cold has moved it. It is currently 8 degrees and feels like -4. I'm thinking we will have a 2 hour delay tomorrow. Although, I looked at the 7 day forecast, and Tuesday morning is supposed to be -10/-15 with wind chills at -20/-25. The high is supposed to be 1 degree. 1 stinking degree I'm guessing school will be cancelled Tuesday. It's sad that it's supposed to warm up Sunday to 33 and we are so excited! Anyhow, stay warm and please stay safe.

I loved today's QOTD because I went back to work, back to a schedule, and back to exercising and tracking my food. I was actually excited to get back on MFP after about a 2 week hiatus. I feel good about my food choices and my exercise today. Now, I am getting a headache which I am sure is weather related. I am going to grab some Tylenol and get the kids ready for bed. I'll check back tomorrow. Have a warm night

Jill
Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #75
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
That is so cool! Which FitBit do you have?
I have the zip. Wear it on my bra

HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: