Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #76
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Location: Split between Pennsylvania and Europe (Croatia and Austria)

Day Five!

Day Five!

Alas, along came the day we all dread: the last day of our Disney trip.

(Cue weeping sounds and many sad faces...)

BUT -
Today was going to be all about Magic Kingdom!

wooo hooooo!

I was super excited to see New Fantasyland in the daylight. On the travel agent trip in September, I only got to see it during MNSSHP - in the dark. And of course, so far on this trip, we had just been in MK for evening EMH.

We were going to really check it out. AND make sure to fit in some of the other awesome stuff in MK that must be done on every trip! I wanted Milos to get it all in!

We didn't get up and at 'em in time to make our FP+ time for Peter Pan's Flight. Milos will just have to experience that on our next trip.

Upon entering, we got some pics taken, of course...

***Oh hey, let me just mention one little thing....

My rule is that if you photo-bomb the pic, it's SO getting posted!!!

hahhahahaha! (That's not the only one!....)

But we were going to get to Space Mountain for our 11:35 FP+ window. And while there, we got a Legacy FP with our regular tickets. (Hey, it was do-able at the time, so we did it. No passing judgement, people.)

Then it was time to head across the park...

We just happened to have a celebrity sighting along the way....

POOH BEAR!

We were ultimately on our way to my favorite counter service restaurant in Magic Kingdom - Columbia Harbour House!

Yay!

But like I said, there were certain things I had to see.... like the Cinderella fountain.

Although it was windy...

And that mom and kid weren't going anywhere, so I got a windy photo with some strangers. And Cinderella!.... kinda, sorta....

I wanted Milos to experience my fave CS in MK, so it was time for some CHH, baby!

Work that Photobomb!

We both got the shrimp...

And I snagged the best seat in the house - the part of the upstairs dining room that is above the walkway connecting Fantasyland and Liberty Square.

After lunch, we were on our way to Frontierland. We had a FP+ time for Big Thunder Mountain!

But we had to do one of the quintessential Disney cheesy photo stops along the way....

Hmm..... he's sort of making the same face I made when my grandparents made me do this same pose as a kid....

On our way.... passing Splash....

Of course BTMR was fun as usual. It's a mild coaster, so that's why you ALWAYS have to sit in the back car on this one. If you don't, you'll already be all the way down the hill by the time the back car gets over the hill and you start to have any momentum. Front car = slow ride. I absolutely ask for the last car every time on this ride.

Now, after Big Thunder, I thought I'd introduce Milos to something else that I really loved at Disney when I was a kid: Tom Sawyer's Island. My sister and I used to spend hours wandering the paths and exploring the mines and the fort. So fun!

However, when we got to the island, the one cave entrance was totally blocked off. In a very UN-Disney like fashion...

Wha-???

Once we got to the fort, it was time for Milos' inner child to come out - and to play with the toy guns...

Me? I just enjoyed the gun show... hehe...

Pic across the water over to Big Thunder....

When we had sufficiently explored the tunnels and jumped around a few times on the barrel bridge, it was time to leave the island and head over to New Fantasyland!

Finally!.....
JenSop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #77
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Day Five continued...

Day Five continued...

Alrighty, so we were making our way over to New Fantasyland, and I was snapping pics left and right....

(Leave it to Disney, they sure know how to do bathrooms right. Yes, that beautiful new building there is the new bathroom. It's purty....)

Now there're some muscles!....

After moving along from Gaston's Tavern (we made sure to walk inside to take in some of the detail), we headed over to Ariel's Grotto...

The ride was fun and all, but it's not going to be a "must-do" on every trip. I think it's one that my nieces will really like. Although, my oldest niece really loves coasters, so she might get bored with this one.

After our visit with Ariel and friends, it was time to head to Space Mountain to use our old-school Fastpasses....

Then, guess what we did....

The People Mover!

Okay, for some strange reason, I always loved this ride as a kid and ALWAYS had to go on it on every trip. Plus, it's a nice little chance to relax - and more importantly - get on a ride that basically never has a wait.

While enjoying our People Mover experience, Milos asked me if we were going to get on Expedition Everest again.

Nope, sorry babe, no time to get over to AK today.

That's when he said it: "You know, next time we come, we need at least 8 days to really be able to get more in. Five days just isn't enough."

And there you go.

A new Disney fan was officially born.

During the planning, he thought I was exaggerating when I said that five days would be a "short" trip.

He now admitted that he just hadn't known. He had had no idea that it would be so... BIG.

After that, we decided to grab some early dinner at Tomorrowland Terrace. Not my fave, I'll admit, but we needed to at least have a snack to tide us over.

And then, it was time for the slow walk to the exit. (But not too slow, we didn't want to miss our un-Magical Express to take us back to the airport.)

Few more pics on the way out of MK....

I think this one is a tad bit out of our budget....

Aaaaaand cue sad faces while waiting for the bus back to Kidani...

We had a few minutes to kill back at the resort, so we sat out back a little by the fire pit, and got a shot of the building....

It's really lovely and relaxing there. You get a real sense of being away from the hustle and bustle. Even though Jambo is still my favorite, Kidani is pretty awesome too.

Then it was time. Time to wait out front for the bus.

A quick check on the weather showed us this... SO nice for November, right???

We got back to the airport just fine. But let me tell you - the story is not over. Oh no. There was more adventure in store for us....

But THAT's for the next update!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #78
bhwhiz
Mouseketeer

Fantastic trip report! Glad you converted Milos into a Disney fan!

'89 - Offsite
'92 - Offsite
'94 - Offsite
'00 - All Star Music
'09 - Pop Century
bhwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #79
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhwhiz View Post
Fantastic trip report! Glad you converted Milos into a Disney fan!
THanks a bunch!

And I am SUPER relieved that he is also now a fan! Whew! :-)
Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #80
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSop View Post

That's when he said it: "You know, next time we come, we need at least 8 days to really be able to get more in. Five days just isn't enough."
Isn't that the best? It took me 3 years to convince Dan to go to Disney... and a few months after our trip, when he said (unprovoked and out of nowhere, mind you), "Aren't we supposed to be going back to Disney soon?", I was thrilled! And I had us booked within 2 days lol. Now he looks forward to it, and even has opinions about some of the planning
Old 05-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #81
mom2munchkins
Mouseketeer

So did you do the I told you so dance

Wilderness Lodge December 2010
mom2munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #82
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Brave doing the orange side. I just cannot bring myself to try it.
Love walking over to DHS.
That is awesome you had the elevator to yourselves.
So sorry to hear how you felt after all the rides.

Glenn I am going to read about Vienna. I have a 6 hour layover in September and want to explore.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #83
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
Isn't that the best? It took me 3 years to convince Dan to go to Disney... and a few months after our trip, when he said (unprovoked and out of nowhere, mind you), "Aren't we supposed to be going back to Disney soon?", I was thrilled! And I had us booked within 2 days lol. Now he looks forward to it, and even has opinions about some of the planning
I hear ya! When I told Milos I didn't know if we'd get to Disney this year, he was all sad and said he really wanted to go. Hence me making the BWV reservation to have just in case!

And Milos for sure has opinions about planning the dining. Our ADR date is coming up soon, so I need to figure out where he'll be okay with eating - only have 3 definites so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2munchkins View Post

So did you do the I told you so dance

hahahaha! I might have secretly done a little dance inside - haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Brave doing the orange side. I just cannot bring myself to try it.
Love walking over to DHS.
That is awesome you had the elevator to yourselves.
So sorry to hear how you felt after all the rides.

Glenn I am going to read about Vienna. I have a 6 hour layover in September and want to explore.

You know, the walk was longer than I expected over to DHS, but also not too bad. Nice and relaxing.

And if I did learn any lessons on this trip, it's that I can never ride Mission Space Orange again for as long as I live.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #84
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSop View Post
I hear ya! When I told Milos I didn't know if we'd get to Disney this year, he was all sad and said he really wanted to go. Hence me making the BWV reservation to have just in case!

And Milos for sure has opinions about planning the dining. Our ADR date is coming up soon, so I need to figure out where he'll be okay with eating - only have 3 definites so far.
We can start making ours on May 19th! Jiko, California Grill, and Be Our Guest are our top 3. Looking forward to trying Big River Grille, too, since we'll be at BWV and have never tried it before. I'm the picky eater in our relationship - Dan will eat anything!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 AM   #85
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We can start making ours on May 19th! Jiko, California Grill, and Be Our Guest are our top 3. Looking forward to trying Big River Grille, too, since we'll be at BWV and have never tried it before. I'm the picky eater in our relationship - Dan will eat anything!
Be Our Guest is also a definite for us - crossing my fingers! And we want to do Yachtsman as our signature choice. After that, I want Yak & Yeti - which has enough on it that Milos can find something. I'm a big fan.

We both really like Kona, but now with the construction at the Poly, I'm not sure if it will be open. I heard rumors they might close it down for a bit during the construction work.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #86
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Okay, I promised one more update....

Because the adventures don't always end when you leave Disney.

On our way back to PA, we had a layover. No biggie. We could deal. The first leg was fine. The pilot said he was able to find a nice route through some bad weather that was being reported.

However, when it was time to catch our next flight, it was delayed - as there were storms going on all along the east coast. So it was late getting in. Then they had to clean it and get it ready for our flight.

We finally got in the air.

Um, I'm thinking it would have been best for them to delay us a bit longer?

We essentially had the most terrifying flight of our lives. Now, Milos and I are veteran flyers. We've flown SO much, including LOTS of overseas flights. So we've been through lots of different air experiences.

But we both agreed that this was the worst one we've ever been on. Ever. Of all time. Simply terrifying.

We're not talking normal turbulence here, we had that in droves, but that's okay. What was horribly unnerving was all the dropping and sideways "sliding" that the plane was doing. It was like sliding sideways on ice and then dropping through holes in the sky. We spent the entire flight gripping each other's hands in fear.

Finally, we landed in Philly.

We got a shuttle to SmartPark and I got to drive us home in a monsoon rainstorm with flooding all along the PA turnpike.

Needless to say, we slept hard that night, and were both glad to be on the ground: together and safe.

So that my dear readers was our trip! I hope you enjoyed hearing about it!

And we are tentatively going back for EIGHT days (haha!) this next November. And I'll be sure to tell you all about it! (Time to make our ADRs in a week!)

Thanks for reading!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #87
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

So sorry you had a rough flight back but so glad you did this TR....it was FANTASTIC!! I hope you do another after your November trip. I'll be looking forward to it!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:57 AM   #88
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
So sorry you had a rough flight back but so glad you did this TR....it was FANTASTIC!! I hope you do another after your November trip. I'll be looking forward to it!
Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed the TR!

(And I honestly hope to NEVER have another flight experience like that one again. We later found out that many flights had actually been canceled that night, the weather was that bad.)
Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #89
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Another great TR -- thanks, Jen! Really hoping you guy can go in November!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #90
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Another great TR -- thanks, Jen! Really hoping you guy can go in November!
Thanks!!! Me too! Just have to assess the financial situation closer to that time. But at least we'll have a place to stay and will have our ADRs ready to go! Hopefully I can get a few more travel clients and have some commissions coming in to cover it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: