Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Location: Split between Pennsylvania and Europe (Croatia and Austria)

Day One Continued: Dinner and after...

Day One Continued: Dinner and after...

While walking around World Showcase, I snapped this photo of Spaceship Earth and the Epcot Christmas tree from across the lagoon...

(sooooo pretty! )

We got to Beach Club and Cape May Cafe about five minutes late, but our table wasn't ready anyway. So we hung out in the lobby a bit.

Here's a pic from the lobby, all decked out for the holidays!

We were seated and started our feast! Here's my first plate!

Mmmmmmm..... crab legs..... (I really like crab legs...)

Fast forward through dinner, and we both were completely happy with full bellies. Everything was great!

But time was of the essence! I wanted to get back into Epcot in time for Illuminations. (I freakin' LOVE Illuminations!) And it was almost 9:00pm!

Thankfully, we made it in time with a few minutes to spare. We didn't have time to walk around looking for a perfect ideal viewing spot, so we positioned ourselves on that bridge between International Gateway and France.

So this is another Jen crying moment. I couldn't help it! I was watching my favorite Disney fireworks show, surrounded by the sounds and awesome music, with Milos' arms wrapped around me. There was no holding back those happy tears. Complete happiness. Pure bliss.

After Illuminations was over, we got our pic taken on the bridge with the France pavilion in the background. The joke to this pic was that Milos spent his whole eight month season on the ship working the Seine River between Paris and Rouen. For passengers, it's a great cruise. For the staff, not so much. Milos was so happy to be getting OUT of France two weeks prior to taking this pic at Disney. But here he was in France again...

And here's a little treat - us in front of the REAL Eiffel Tower back in April...

Even though work made him not the biggest fan of France, he couldn't help but be wowed at Disney's amazing recreation.

We took a quick walk over to Future World, and a ride on Soarin', as there was no wait. (Yes, I really just said that. As a regular Disney traveler in summer, I just couldn't comprehend it! No wait at Soarin'... I just... what?....)

Another ride success, but who couldn't like Soarin'? I mean, come on!

We then headed back to World Showcase.

And most importantly, I needed my Grand Marnier slushie! Listen folks, when strolling through the France pavilion, you simply MUST get a Grand Marnier slushie. They're SO yummy - and SO strong!

We walked more around World Showcase (it was EMH night at Epcot!), but Milos was getting tired - jet lag was setting in. And we had already had a long day. It was time to call it a night.

Here's a closer pic of the Christmas tree in Epcot...

Then we got a few pics at the entrance and headed back to the hotel.

Next up - our day at Animal Kingdom! Swimming at the pool! And I get Milos to try dinner at Sanaa!
Oh yea, but first, we'll have to go to the Urgent Care facility, because, you know, there had to be SOME kind of problem, right?...

Stay tuned!
JenSop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
NMW
DIS Veteran

Subscribing
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMW View Post
Subscribing
Glad to have you along, NMW!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #19
JenSop
DIS Veteran

DAY TWO: Unexpected Adventures...

DAY TWO: Unexpected Adventures...

Hey all, we're back!

Day two of our trip had its highs and lows.

I'm going to be as subtle as I can, as I know the Dis likes us all to be sensitive to readers with delicate sensibilities. But I'd be leaving out a whole big part of Day-Two to skip our morning adventures....

So I knew when I got up early in the morning to quick run to the bathroom that something was not okay. As a woman, I knew that feeling. My first instinct would be to call my doctor's office and have them call in a prescription for an antibiotic. But it was Saturday, and they were closed. (I gave it a try just in case. Nope - closed.)

I called the front desk asking where I would need to go for this kind of thing. (Fortunately it was a woman at the desk and I was able to just tell her that I knew I had a UTI and I needed to get some medicine.)

She then connected us to one of the Urgent Care type places just outside the park. They actually pick you up from your hotel and take you to the facility. They told us to be ready in ten minutes, so we got dressed really fast and walked down the "Hallway of Infinity" to the lobby to get picked up by the van. The driver had to get someone at Jambo House too. When the other passengers got in (a mom and her son) we were encouraged to wear face masks, as the son seemed to be sick with a horrible flu virus.

No thanks! I don't want that too!

Of course I had to get tested even though I knew exactly what was wrong. Long story short, I got set up with some anti-biotics and that medicine that makes your pee bright orange, and we were on our way. (After waiting outside for the van for about 20 minutes until he got back from his latest client pick up.)

When we got back to our room, we had another animal party outside....

Animals!

We decided we'd spend some time close to the hotel, and it was super warm and sunny, so it was pool time!

(This was his picture to brag about it being almost December and yet he was able to work on his tan! )

We had some nice relaxing pool time for a bit, but we had Fastpasses scheduled at Animal Kingdom and I wanted to at least be able to use some of them.

I knew we were going to miss our 1:30-2:30pm window for the safari, but I wanted to try for our 3:20-4:20pm spot on Expedition Everest.

After taking another pick of the animal party outside, we were off!

And I snapped another pic while we were trekking down the Hallway of Infinity....

(ANIMALS! )

cont.......
Old 12-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Day Two Continued....

(.....cont...)

We got to Animal Kingdom Park a little before 2:30pm. Our window for Everest was good until 4:20pm and we hadn't eaten yet, so our first stop was to get some food.

We did get our pics taken in front of the Tree of Life after getting in the park, but they kind of sucked and we didn't like them. Haha! So just pretend you're seeing them!

Although here's a pretty pic from the bridge!

Here was my first test of choosing a CS (Counter Service) restaurant for a very picky eater. A CS place that Milos would like. Hmmmmm.... I'm a big fan of the CS at Yak and Yeti, and I was hoping that he'd be okay with the beef and noodle dish...

So I took a chance, and that's where we went.

What was the verdict?

Success!!!

After we ate, we slowly made our way over to Expedition Everest - one of my favorites!!!

Of course we did stop to get some pics at the photo spot....

(You can see me at the far right of that pic. On this day I was wearing the Disney Princess tank I had bought when I was down in September. It has a cool open fluttery criss cross fabric thing going on in the back... I love it!)

And we were off to seek the Yeti!

I love this ride in every way. Not only is it an awesome roller coaster, but the entire storyline, set, props, everything. Just amazingness.

After going on with our Fastpasses, we got into the standby line and rode again!

And then, we decided to watch more animals!

At this point, I thought it would be nice to quick head into the Maharajah Jungle Trek so that we could see the tigers. Tigers are Milos' favorite, so I wanted to be sure he got a chance to see them!

And then I got a pic of this cool looking bird in the bird area...

At this point, it was getting later in the day. We had missed our Fastpass time earlier in the day for the safari, but I wanted Milos to experience it. And it was going to be closing in about 15 minutes. So we started walking over to Africa to ride Kilimanjaro Safari.

(A quick selfie with the Tree of Life along the way there...)

We got over to the safari with five minutes to spare. My biggest concern this close to closing time was that some of the animals would already be housed up for the night; which was true. (NO giraffes on the savannah section and NO elephants still out.)

But, I did get to see some things I'd never seen on any of my many previous rides. (That's why I love the safari - it's different every single time!)

We got to see the hippos out of the water!

Hippo butts! :-D

And we got to see the cheetahs up and about!

(Milos will just have to see what else the safari has to offer on one of our future trips.)

After we finished with that, we decided to ride Expedition Everest one more time through the standby line. (He loves the ride as much as I do! ) So we walked back to Asia for one last ride.

Buuuuut... ya know.... it's really super fun.... and the line wasn't too long.....

Okay - one more time!

Our Dinosaur Fastpasses were up at 5:50pm. And it was kind of almost that time. So we speed walked over to Dinosaur, only to miss our time by like two minutes. Thankfully the CM working the Fastpass was nice and let us go through.

Yay for pixiedust!

Then before we left to get ready for dinner, Milos had one request......

To ride Expedition Everest again!

Hahaha!

(Of course we did it!)

After that, it was definitely time for us to go get ready for dinner. Not only did we have an ADR scheduled for MY favorite restaurant (Sanaa), but we were also headed out for some drinking that night as well!

Coming up next:

Will Milos like the unusual flavors at Sanaa?
What might keep us from getting to Downtown Disney for our copious adult beverages? ('Twas a first for me!)

Stay tuned!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

Yay I loved your other trip reports! So glad to see you're back!!

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCat View Post
Yay I loved your other trip reports! So glad to see you're back!!
Thanks a bunch, ChiCat! Glad to have you along!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Yeah for the room being ready.
Looked like fun times at Epcot.
Cape May is a great place to eat.
Nice pics walking out of Epcot.
Sorry you had a medical issue but it seem to have been taken care of quickly and very nice they pick you up and return you.
AK is my favorite park for photos. So many opportunities.
EE is a blast.
Love the girl in EE pic holding onto the other lapbar. LOL
MMM, Sanaa is my favorite restaurant.
Canít wait for the next update
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #24
JenSop
DIS Veteran

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Yeah for the room being ready.
Looked like fun times at Epcot.
Cape May is a great place to eat.
Nice pics walking out of Epcot.
Sorry you had a medical issue but it seem to have been taken care of quickly and very nice they pick you up and return you.
AK is my favorite park for photos. So many opportunities.
EE is a blast.
Love the girl in EE pic holding onto the other lapbar. LOL
MMM, Sanaa is my favorite restaurant.
Canít wait for the next update
Thanks Scott! Working on it now!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #25
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Day two - dinner and drinking!

DAY TWO - DINNER AND DRINKING!

Dinner that night was to be at Sanaa - my FAVORITE restaurant at Disney! And fortunately, it's right in our resort, so all we had to do after getting ready was trek down the Hallway of Infinity and go down the lobby stairs to the restaurant.

The lobby at Kidani Village was beautifully decorated, by the way....

And they even had Christmas trees along the hallway downstairs where you wait to get into Sanaa...

A quick pic of us all decked out for our dinner and night out....

I simply love this restaurant for so many reasons. Next to Le Cellier, I think this is the Disney restaurant I've eaten at the most times. The decor of the place is just beautifully whimsical and detailed. When it's light outside, you can watch the exotic animals walk past you through the wall of picture windows as you dine. The service is always impeccable. The food is delicious, expertly prepared, and a little off the beaten path.

Here are a few quick pics taken on this trip, but if you click on my TR link from 2010 (in my Signature at the bottom of each post), you can see some more pics of Sanaa.

However, this was the restaurant I was most concerned about when it came to my picky man. But I knew steak was on the menu, and when steak is on any menu, there's always something for Milos to eat.

I started with a yummy mojito...

Now, if more than one person wants to partake of the bread service appetizer, get the one with ALL the dips. When I went with my fellow travel agent back in September, that's what we did. And for just a few extra bucks, it was TOTALLY worth it.

But since this time it was just me partaking of the dips, I stuck with three. I was impressed, as Milos even tried one, but it was too spicy for him. Although he did eat the Naan bread that came with it.

Let's pause a moment and talk about the flavors at Sanaa. The restaurant features a mix of Indian and African inspired flavors, so some things are spicy hot, but a lot aren't. Most dishes have different seasonings than what we might be traditionally used to. And that's what I love about it. I will also go on record as saying I LOVE hot spicy food. I'm talking the stuff that burns your mouth when you eat it and you break out in a sweat as a result. Mmmm..... Milos doesn't like spicy food, so we had to make sure that anything he got wasn't spicy.

Bread service:

For my entree, I went with shrimp (spicy) and short ribs. Milos thought about trying something different, but went with steak. I loved my entree. He liked his okay, but was not crazy about the seasonings they put on the steak. Perhaps if we go back, he can customize that a little better. I'm just glad he was a good sport and went somewhere knowing he might not like anything, but did it anyway because it's my favorite.

Then for dessert - CHAI CREAM! Okay, so they have this dessert that's part of the dessert trio they offer. It's not listed on the menu separately, but they will give you just the chai cream if you ask for it. My fave drink at Starbucks is a chai tea latte. Well, this dessert is like a chai tea latte in mousse/pudding form. It's heaven in a spoon. When you eat it, you are soaring with the angels.

....cont....
Old 01-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #26
JenSop
DIS Veteran

.....cont....

After dinner, our plan was to go out. It was a Saturday night, and since we were at Disney, I didn't have to drive, so I was ready to drink!

At first we weren't sure where we'd go out. I was trying to decided between the Disney Boardwalk area or Downtown Disney. Ultimately, I decided to try Downtown Disney.

We boarded the bus and we were on our way. It wasn't crowded actually. Just us and a couple with their small child. It was pretty uneventful until we got to that busy intersection not too far from our destination. For those in the know, it's the intersection where they have that lighthouse looking thing with DVC on it. (I think I'm explaining it correctly - you see something so many times that you kind of forget the exact details.) But coming from the side of Disney property where AKV is, it's where the buses turn left and take you around the long way to get to DTD - in a big loop - past OKW and SSR.

Well, right in the middle of the intersection, the bus just stopped. At first, you kind of don't notice that the bus isn't moving - perhaps it's just so busy that it's not possible to make the left turn yet. But after about ten minutes, well, we knew something was wrong.

Long story short, the steering on the bus just stopped working. As in, NO steering. And because of where we were stuck (middle of busy intersection), we couldn't get out of the bus until they figured out how they would safely do that. (It's Disney after all.)

We did chat a bit with the other family. They were nice, but woefully wrong about Milos' accent. (They said they were from Texas, but the husband thought Milos sounded like he was from Louisiana. The reason that THAT is so funny is because Milos does try to put on a southern accent sometimes ('cause we're silly like that) and he fails miserably each and every time. He can't do any accents that involve the English language - 'cause he's tried British accents too and that also hasn't been met with much success.) His regular Croatian accent is actually quite subtle, as he's been speaking English most of his life and he works in an environment where everyone speaks English. I've also noticed that the longer we're together, the less of an accent he has, as he has a good ear and has really picked up on the way that I speak. Only on certain vowels does his accent really come out. And it's super cute and sexy!

Eventually some Disney peeps came on board and told us they were going to be taking us to Downtown Disney (DTD) in a van, since it was just a few of us. We were probably stuck on the bus about 45 minutes or so.

When it was time to change vehicles, they had us leave one at a time so that we could slowly fill the van.

(And so they did't have to worry about anyone running into traffic, I guess? Haha!)

When we got to DTD, we headed for Raglan Road, the irish pub. There was live music playing and we got ourselves a spot at the bar.

Here's a pic of Round One!

Turned out we were sitting next to this total creeper dude at the bar. The guy was there with his girlfriend, but he kept looking at us, listening to our conversations, and really looking at me when Milos went to the bathroom. Not cool dude, not cool. He also tried to clap along to the music... and couldn't find a steady beat to save his life. I realize that some people have no rhythm, and I don't want all of those people to feel like I'm looking down on them, but this guy was a creeper, so he's fair game.

We stayed at Raglan Road for awhile, but then decided to keep walking and see if anything looked good on the West Side of DTD. We trekked all the way over to House of Blues, where they also had a live band. On the way, we had a quick drink at Paradiso 37. While there, the music switched from fun to bad really fast. So we chugged our drinks and beelined it for House of Blues.

By this time we were up to round 4 or 5...

I think we might have stayed for two drinks? I don't know, we just weren't feeling it as much over there. A bit too mellow for our tastes.

We started walking back towards Raglan Road again, but stopped at Bongos en route to check it out. They had a great band playing, so we stayed for a drink and some dancing! At this point, I'll admit I was quite drunk, so I don't remember if we left because they were wrapping up, or because we just wanted to get back to Raglan Road?

Yeah, not sure.

By the time we got back to Raglan Road, we were in time for last call. As you can see, I was starting to look the part of having been drinking all night.... My hair does NOT like Florida weather...

We left after the last round and headed back to our hotel. Honestly dear readers, I don't remember getting home, but we obviously did, and safely. All in all, we had a fun night out and were excited for another day at Disney after getting some much needed sleep!

What does the next day have in store for us? Hollywood Studios all day, followed by a fabulous EMH night at Magic Kingdom! Can't wait to share it with you!

Last edited by JenSop; 01-03-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #27
mspoppins14
Earning My Ears

Following Along!

Loving your TR!! My boyfriend and I are going together in February for our 3 year anniversary. You're giving me some good ideas for our trip
mspoppins14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #28
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Sanaa is my favorite on property. I get the spicy Durban chicken and shrimp and that will clean out your sinuses. LOL
Oh my about the bus breaking down in the middle of that intersection. I know exactly which one it was.
Funny about the accents.
I would have ran to a bar also after that. LOL
When you donít remember getting home that is a good evening. Lol
Great updates and pics.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #29
JenSop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspoppins14 View Post
Loving your TR!! My boyfriend and I are going together in February for our 3 year anniversary. You're giving me some good ideas for our trip
Welcome aboard mspoppins14! Will this be your first Disney trip together? Your first trip ever? You will have SUCH a great time! I'm already excited for you for your trip!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #30
mspoppins14
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSop View Post
Welcome aboard mspoppins14! Will this be your first Disney trip together? Your first trip ever? You will have SUCH a great time! I'm already excited for you for your trip!
Thanks JenSop!! We are so excited! I have been once before, but I was 5 so I wasn't part of any planning but I sure remember the magic!! My boyfriend has never been, but he's starting to love Disney just as much as me.

Question for you--did you use or have you used photopass (now memory maker)? I can't decide if it's worth the $150 price tag.
mspoppins14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: