Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz View Post
following along.
Glad to have you Lisa! Totally jealous you live in Georgia and that you're soooooo much closer to Disneyworld then we are.
pixleyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #17
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Starting our year of celebration!

2014 is officially our "year of celebration". I know I've mentioned all we're celebrating already, but here's a little unexpected celebration. After nearly a year of talking it over, thinking on the design and continuing to be sure he's committed to the idea, DH finally bit the bullet and started his first Disney tattoo! Not only did he get it started, but he decided to go big with his first sleeve. He sat for 4 1/2 hours on Wednesday and goes back for another 4 or 5 hours next month. I'm guessing he'll need a total of three 4-5 hour sessions to get this finished. Take a look at what he's got so far:

Here's the deal: Sally will go along Jack's side (you can see the stencil outline on the bottom picture). Jack is sitting in a chair with his leg crossed at the knee. Below them will be Lock, Shock and Barrel, possibly sitting on pumpkins, possibly standing (they are the last items so it's still up in the air). Oogie boggie is a shadow up in the moon and bats will be flying out of his mouth. The mountain will have a lot of wispy texture to it, to cover up the 20-year old Taz tattoo DH was ready to cover up.

So there you go... the start to our celebration for the year. Let the fun begin!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #18
littlezar
DIS Veteran

Gonna read along ~ followed the link from the tattoo discussion! I don't usually comment much on any trip reports but just wanted to say I'm here, LOL!

Love that you have a cat named Pudge - that's the same as my 18 yr old's betta fish!
Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlezar View Post
Gonna read along ~ followed the link from the tattoo discussion! I don't usually comment much on any trip reports but just wanted to say I'm here, LOL!

Love that you have a cat named Pudge - that's the same as my 18 yr old's betta fish!
Glad to have you here! I'm not a TR commenter either... I'm usually a lurker. Can't believe someone else has a pet named Pudge. My kids will get a kick out of it... especially since she's really a fish!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #20
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

I know I haven't been on here in a while but wanted to throw a little life update your way, mainly as it applies to our trip.

We paid cash for our last two big vacation (Disneyland 2012 and 3,900 mile family road trip July 2013) and we really feel it's important to pay for this trip with cash, so we've been working hard on saving money for it. Overtime? Put most of it in the Disney account. Photography sessions? Put proceeds in the Disney account. Stuff around the house we don't need? Sell it and put it in the Disney account. We've been doing a fairly good job and we know it's going to be tight but we'll make it to our goal before the trip.

The last few weeks, however, have not been kind to us. We made a critical parenting error and let our 17yo drive himself into Portland one day for his engineering mentorship meeting. He was unprepared for the merging traffic on and off the freeway and got into a fender bender. Thankfully it wasn't a huge accident and we won't have to report it to insurance but it did mean that we had to fork over several hundred dollars for new parts. Lesson learned, he's not ready for the big city yet (we live in a rural area 30 minutes from Portland) and needs more parent-monitored city driving before he goes solo again. Oh, and since all the saving money goes into the Disney account we had to take it out of the Disney account.

We also learned that you lose the ability to claim your children once they are 17. We didn't know this so when we got our taxes done (which usually amounts to a $2000+ tax return) and saw the figure we went . Now not only do we not get anything back, we actually get to pay more.

So I'm feeling a little like it's one step forward, two steps back. I'm hoping the photography will pick up once spring hits. I'm hoping we'll get some good overtime through DH's job. And I'm hoping DS will get a job sometime soon (he's been looking but it's tough here for kids) so he can start paying a portion of the car insurance and gas each month and we can put those in savings too.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

I am a bad PTR'er! I can't believe I haven't been here for over 3 months! Life has been chaotic and crazy so let me catch you up.

DS17 has 10 more days left of school and then he will be a senior! It really just dawned on us that a year from now he will be graduating. He took his SAT and ACT and got amazing scores. He's got a good GPA and took the tough classes. He's really a great college candidate, but he really doesn't know where he wants to go. We've already visited the in-state colleges so in 3 weeks DH, DS17 and myself will be heading on a road trip (the other two get to spend it with the grandparents). 5 days, 5 states, 6 colleges and 2,000 miles. It's going to be a whirlwind trip, but he really needs the experience of visiting different schools before he makes any decisions. And since we live in the northwest, a lot of schools he is looking at really aren't that close. Thus the road trip. Looking forward to it!

I had some success at work and our marketing department (which is really just 2 of us) won a big northwestern marketing award. So excited for that and for the recent raise I received. It certainly helps with saving for this trip (though the above road trip has the opposite affect).

Sunday is my birthday... the big 4-0. Hubby is getting me what I requested: a fitbit. Excited to start using it and hope that it encourages me to walk and sleep more. I'm not great at both, though we have been making an effort to walk 5-8 miles per week, usually 2-3 miles at a time. Trying to get prepared for all that Disney walking!

In sad news, we lost our dog, Tuck, about a month ago. His old age and tumors finally got the best of him and we decided to let him go. It was tough.

In trip news, we have scheduled (and paid cash for!) flights to and from Disney. We're flying Southwest, which I don't like because of the cattle-call boarding, but who offered the best price by far. Thankfully the kids are older now so if they have to sit separate from us I know they'll do fine.

We got free dining added to our reservation. We had really hoped for free dining at POR, but since it was excluded we stayed with our ASMu family suite. Excited about the size of the room, as it's perfect for our family. Not so excited about quick serve dining, but we opted to save the $100/day it would cost us to upgrade and instead pay for a few table service meals OOP. We have to do a split stay as FD doesn't start until our second night. We have a room-only the first night and then 6 days with free dining. That means we get 2 sets of magic bands each, which means more fun I get to have decorating them.

Still trying to decide whether to rent a car for the entire trip. DH is leaning that way but I think part of the decision will be based on the price of a rental car for 2 weeks. We have to have one for the second week, since we're offsite, but the first week is optional.

We found a group-buy for Universal tickets so are getting those at a good cost.

Now just counting down the days until I can make FP+. In spectacular timing, our 60 days will start while we're on our one and only camping trip of the summer! The good news is that we can still manage it, as DH can bring his ipad and we'll add the wireless hotspot onto his phone. Yeah! The bad news is that I may have to be up at the butt crack of dawn to make them, depending on what time they open eastern time. Guess I should look into that.

OK, that's all I can think of as an update for now. Thanks for sticking with me.

Last edited by pixleyyy; 05-29-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
MissMaryQC
Mouseketeer

Another planner!

I'm SO glad to see that you've been working on the report for a year!! I've been considering starting one for our 2015 trip, but I thought maybe I as too far out, not any more!! It looks like you guys have a super fun trip to look forward to; and a BIG year as well! Congrats on everything! Can't wait to see some pics of your vacay!!

MissMaryQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Thank you and WELCOME! This reminds me that it's time for an update...
Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #24
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

In recent trip report news, not much has changed. We do have FP+ ressies coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking about what that will look like. I have found the silver lining of only QS dining - no ADR's that require us to be in a certain park on a certain day. Yeah! We may change things around a little and take advantage of AM EMH at a few parks just to take advantage of that extra time for the big rides. The kids won't like getting up early (especially considering 6am FL time is 3am OR time), but they'll adjust after a few days.

We did get the dreaded letter in the mail about ASMu food court being closed when we were there, but there's really no other choices for us and we haven't been lucky enough to get a PIN so we'll deal with the food court issue and just been happy to be at Disney!

In personal news, the paying off the trip hasn't happened like we thought. First the college road trip, then one of the kids spent a week in the hospital, which was quite a pretty penny, then DH got promoted at work, which is great but also caused a pay decrease, as he lost the overtime that we'd come to expect each month. We did get the airfare, Universal tickets and some of the package paid for in cash, but it's been slow going and to be honest I don't think it's going to happen in cash before our trip. While I'm bummed about that, I do have the advantage of Disney Visa, which means I'll get an additional 6 months to pay it off with no interest. So that's my new goal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: