Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Keacc
Mouseketeer

Exclamation Target still being hacked

Target was offering 10% off because credit info was hacked between Nov 27th and Dec 18th. Their website says the problem has bee fixed. I charged something on Saturday, Dec 21st on my VISA. Today VSA called an reported many suspicious charge totaling over $2,300. The only other charge on my card was at Target. They had to cancel my card. This is my card that I was going to use on vacation later this week. Beware, and don't believe Target about the hacking problem being fixed!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
lexysdad04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keacc View Post
Target was offering 10% off because credit info was hacked between Nov 27th and Dec 18th. Their website says the problem has bee fixed. I charged something on Saturday, Dec 21st on my VISA. Today VSA called an reported many suspicious charge totaling over $2,300. The only other charge on my card was at Target. They had to cancel my card. This is my card that I was going to use on vacation later this week. Beware, and don't believe Target about the hacking problem being fixed!
Thanks for the warning.

I just want to make sure I understand, and assume correctly. I'm assuming that from Nov 21 to Dec 18 u didn't purchase anything from target using this Visa card in question, correct? And you went in on the 21 and used this card for the first time at target and that's when all the fraud started?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
lexysdad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So this is a brand new card that you had never used before the purchase at Target on December 21?
familyoffive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

I thought it was through the 15th - if it's the 18th I need to go check again with my CC company (we charged something there on the 18th or 19th).

Does anyone know?

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
lauti
Mouseketeer

It was through the 15th.
lauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
DisGirl819
Then I thought about it and realized I'm crazy!!

If you used your card between the dates listed above and then used it again, its possible the card was already compromised and this is not NEW fraud. Personally I cancelled all the cards (2 of them) that I used at Target during those dates and got new ones, even though my bank said I was probably fine.

DLR: 2014, 2010, 2009, 2008...back to first trip 1990
WDW: 1985, 1996, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CSR, CBR, AKV-K, BCV, BC-CL, POFQ, WL, CR
Disney Dream
ToT 10 miler (2013), Avengers 5k (2014)
DisGirl819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
I thought it was through the 15th - if it's the 18th I need to go check again with my CC company (we charged something there on the 18th or 19th).

Does anyone know?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
xie
Mouseketeer

I have some professional experience in this arena.

Yes, it is highly unlikely that Target was able to make all the changes necessary on the 15th or within the following 3 days (before they publicly confessed on the 18th) to eliminate all the vulnerabilities from their software and system. They might have been able to quickly implement some network changes to firewalls, close any compromised user accounts on servers, and the like, but if the attackers had multiple ways into their network and access to other user accounts, then the attack could, in theory, be ongoing.

Often, fully addressing this kind of thing requires some significant software redesign which can take weeks (or longer) of coding plus quality assurance testing before it's ready to be deployed.

Their 10 percent discount could not have lured me back in there with a 10 foot pole. A 90 percent discount could not have; anyone who uses a card at Target right now is asking for problems.

Who knows if the OP had ever used his or her card anywhere else, or used it at Target during the publicly acknowledged risk window, or if Target's breach is even the source of the fraudulent charges on their card.

I just know that from being in software design myself, and having dealt with external attacks as part of my work, I would not use a card at Target for a little while yet.

27 WDW Trips and 2 DL Trips since 1994
Most recently, New Year's 2014
xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
So this is a brand new card that you had never used before the purchase at Target on December 21?
Doesn't even matter if it's brand new. My brother once had fraud on a card that hadn't even arrived at his home yet.

Easy to blame Target right now. But CC fraud happens all the time. Was the card handed over to a server at some point? Did you use it at a gas station you aren't familiar with? etc etc etc. The info on it could have been snagged months ago, and could just now have been sold to someone who wants to use it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Easy to blame Target right now. But CC fraud happens all the time. Was the card handed over to a server at some point? Did you use it at a gas station you aren't familiar with? etc etc etc. The info on it could have been snagged months ago, and could just now have been sold to someone who wants to use it.
You are right. There are programs out there that randomly make up credit card numbers until they find one that works. So the fraud may not have been from Target but just a coincidence that the number it picked was a good, valid number - not Target's fault.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Keacc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This card had never been used at Target before. I called Target fraud and they thought their problem had been fixed. Wrong!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Doesn't even matter if it's brand new. My brother once had fraud on a card that hadn't even arrived at his home yet.

This was my point. There is no way to know that Target was the cause here.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This card had never been used at Target before. I called Target fraud and they thought their problem had been fixed. Wrong!
But you don't know for sure that the information was gained from Target.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But you don't know for sure that the information was gained from Target.
Yeah, fraud happens all the time. Timing couldv'e just been a coincidence
This past weekend was PACKED at Target, you'd think you would hear more stories of people being hacked if it was Target..

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
nugov2
DIS Veteran

I am guessing your fraud came from somewhere else. I would think with all the publicity it is getting they wouldn't hide that knowledge and I would guess they are watching things very closely right now and would for sure be aware if it had happened again. Honestly, I don't blame Target. It can happen anywhere. I did cancel my card as soon as I heard about it. I wasn't going to take a chance. We also bank with Chase and I appreciate all of the extra steps they have been taking. I have been getting emails from them daily. My friend was shopping there during this and hasn't heard a word from her bank.

I am sorry this happened to you OP. It is a horrible thing to have happen.
nugov2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: