Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #76
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Gothel View Post
I can assure you theres more data and tracking on the MB than Disney is telling you. I work for a company that deals in security. After discussions about certain topics with a coworker I gave my previous MB to him as he works with certain types of devices. He gutted my MB and pulled the two necessary pieces out that make it work. He used certain pieces of equipment on it (similar to skimming) and was able to retrieve certain pieces of data that included my cc. I was shocked at what he showed me. Drink the Disney koolaid if you must but don't be surprised when you look back a few years from now and see differently how things came together with tracking, personal information, etc.
I think (hope?) most people realized the above from the very beginning of the MB's.

I'm not the type that blindly believes what companies tell me.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #77
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Gothel View Post
I can assure you theres more data and tracking on the MB than Disney is telling you. I work for a company that deals in security. After discussions about certain topics with a coworker I gave my previous MB to him as he works with certain types of devices. He gutted my MB and pulled the two necessary pieces out that make it work. He used certain pieces of equipment on it (similar to skimming) and was able to retrieve certain pieces of data that included my cc. I was shocked at what he showed me. Drink the Disney koolaid if you must but don't be surprised when you look back a few years from now and see differently how things came together with tracking, personal information, etc.
I'd like more evidence beyond just "I work for a security company" and "a coworker of mine said..." before I drink your Kool-Aid, either.

My understanding was that information is not stored on the device itself, rather it transmits a key, which accesses your account.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #78
dizneyjill
Joshua 1986-2001 I miss you so much

All creepiness aside...I see great benefits to this technology for the parents who look down at a parade and their child is missing...if you can track a missing child , I say YEA! A few years ago, my sister and I followed a little fellow all through Frontierland. He looked about 4 years old.. We were looking to see if the people around him were "with " him and it turned out they were not..He didn't have a clue and was swinging his little block bucket, getting it down the street. The parade was about to start, so we got a CM to take him..That's when we found out other mothers were watching him too. It was very scary....someone could have wisked him away...he was adorable. Sooooooooooo, track away Disney!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #79
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneyjill View Post
All creepiness aside...I see great benefits to this technology for the parents who look down at a parade and their child is missing...if you can track a missing child , I say YEA! A few years ago, my sister and I followed a little fellow all through Frontierland. He looked about 4 years old.. We were looking to see if the people around him were "with " him and it turned out they were not..He didn't have a clue and was swinging his little block bucket, getting it down the street. The parade was about to start, so we got a CM to take him..That's when we found out other mothers were watching him too. It was very scary....someone could have wisked him away...he was adorable. Sooooooooooo, track away Disney!
This has been brought up before and its highly unlikely they would or even could use the bands this way. They have a very low power transmitter and the receivers are most likely only going to be in certain areas like ride queues.

Their current system of waiting and or walking the kid around is faster than taking the kid out of the area where you are looking for them, finding a reader, looking up your info, maybe trying to call you from one of the few phones that can dial an outside line and you hearing the ringer or you finding a CM where they can get to some sort of command center where "Big Mouse" can try to find your kid.

The bands let them know where you have been not where you are.

So the moral is don't assume that the MB will keep track of your kid.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #80
JamesMom
DIS Veteran

I had experience with a "lost" kid and the magic bands just last week. My family was entering the Studios and my oldest went to another line while the rest of us stayed put. He was held back because he couldn't remember what finger. We thought that Disney was handling it and planned to meet him at Toy Story. We get to the ride and he isn't there, but there is a call on my phone. Disney linked the band to my phone number and called. My son was detained at the front gate and my husband got him while my other son and I rode standby.
I see tremendous benefit to Magic Bands and am not in the least bit creeped out by the "big brotherness" of the concept. I studied statistics in grad school and my husband is in IT - we can only speculate on the possibilities of data mining all the data Disney can get from these bands. They say they aren't GPS tracking you, but rest assured they probably have enough passive scanners to track your movements better than a security room in Vegas.
With this information, they can better project crowd patterns and use that information for merchandise, food, as well as attraction and amenity placement. All good things, I suppose.

Trip Report: May 9-15, 2010 - Mother & Son at POR w/Free QS Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36675492

Trip Report: December 14-20, 2008 - Mother and Son (6yo) at Contemporary w/Free Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2038015
JamesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #81
gina2000
anonymous

Don't like it. I know it happens in many facets of my daily transactions but this is really in your face.

I do believe this sort of technology can be very useful. In the wrong hands, however, it can be controlling. I don't expect to see negative repercussions in my lifetime but I wonder if people in the future will look back at this time and see us as enormously naive and overly trusting.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #82
jepperson1
Space Ranger

1) There is no way your credit card info is on a magic band. Why? First, there's no need. All the magic band needs is a unique ID number linked to your account. Disney gains absolutely zero by putting it on there. Second, it would likely be insecure enough to be illegal. Large companies have to go through audits that show how they store CC data. Second, even if it was legal, Visa/MC, Amex, & Discover would never permit it. It would be in violation of their terms of service.

2) You walk around all day with credit card numbers in your wallet or purse.

3) The device has been tested and approved by the FCC.

4) I have yet to hear one person explain how any of this "information" could be used against you. Give me an example.

5) Many of you that think it is creepy are posting on the internet with a signature that says when you will next be on vacation so thieves can come rob your house.
jepperson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #83
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepperson1 View Post
1 5) Many of you that think it is creepy are posting on the internet with a signature that says when you will next be on vacation so thieves can come rob your house.
Yes. Exactly

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #84
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

I have a very reliable source that says Evil Dr Pork chop is behind all of this!

Last edited by wdwloverz; 12-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.
wdwloverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #85
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1) There is no way your credit card info is on a magic band. Why? First, there's no need. All the magic band needs is a unique ID number linked to your account. Disney gains absolutely zero by putting it on there. Second, it would likely be insecure enough to be illegal. Large companies have to go through audits that show how they store CC data. Second, even if it was legal, Visa/MC, Amex, & Discover would never permit it. It would be in violation of their terms of service.
We are trying to setup call recording for our operators and could only do so if they didn't deal with taking credit card numbers.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #86
Magpie

Quote:

2) You walk around all day with credit card numbers in your wallet or purse.

3) The device has been tested and approved by the FCC.

4) I have yet to hear one person explain how any of this "information" could be used against you. Give me an example.

5) Many of you that think it is creepy are posting on the internet with a signature that says when you will next be on vacation so thieves can come rob your house.

Great post!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #87
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Unless someone willingly offers up their name, state and address, go ahead and try to find them.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #88
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post
Unless someone willingly offers up their name, state and address, go ahead and try to find them.
A lot of people casually mention in posts their city, job, things that make them very easy to track down. Or they link their e-mail address. Or they use the same username in multiple online forums, linking back to personal websites, photos, etc... I've been guilty of that myself, and I know better!

It's incredibly easy to stalk people online, especially people who like to chatter on forums.

However, it's also incredibly unlikely that anyone would use that information to rob their homes while they're away.

About as unlikely as someone dissecting your Magic Band and successfully extracting your credit card information.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #89
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post
Just be careful with this challenge.

On another my husband doesn't want to go to WDW because he doesn't want to be tracked by 'the man' by his fingerprint thread someone pointed out that with the internet you can find lots of info about people. The OP commented that while she was all over the place you would never find a shred info about him.

Well 15 minutes later just by using her unique username, her post history here, just a few websites and some junior detective work I not only found him but had a picture of him. Oh and I'm a good guy.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #90
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

UGH! How many times does it have to be said, there is no personal information stored on a MagicBand. The only thing on there is a unique ID number for each MagicBand, which is printed on the back. When you scan your MagicBand at Disney calls up info, like your fastpass+ reservation, from their database. This database has several layers of security and encryption.

Even if someone stole your MagicBand they couldn't make a purchase. They still need your pin. If somehow they guessed your pin, it's only a room charge. You can review and dispute your charges at the resort. The band cannot directly charge your credit card, EVER.

However, if it did get stolen. Now you have a photo of them on a ride.

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: