Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #61
KCSherri
Perpetual Kid Who Always Believes in the Magic

I was with a friend in MK in November, and we had lunch at BOG. They didn't hand us a rose, and being our first time there, we didn't really know HOW they would find us to deliver our food…

We went to the West Wing to find a table…it was crazy busy, per the usual…sat down at one table, but realized it hadn't been cleaned very well, so we got up and moved to another table.

When our food was delivered, it was delivered to the first table that we had sat at…the waiter eventually found us. We were amazed, though, initially never dreaming of how they'd found us.

"How did they DO that??!!" we wondered…thinking there really IS magic at Disney!!! Then, it hit us. The Magic Bands. In fact, it was the fact that the food had been taken to the wrong table that gave us our answer and we put the clues together.

First, it was a bit creepy/unsettling…but then we thought it was pretty cool.
KCSherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #62
Mother Gothel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
From the privacy policy:

I can assure you theres more data and tracking on the MB than Disney is telling you. I work for a company that deals in security. After discussions about certain topics with a coworker I gave my previous MB to him as he works with certain types of devices. He gutted my MB and pulled the two necessary pieces out that make it work. He used certain pieces of equipment on it (similar to skimming) and was able to retrieve certain pieces of data that included my cc. I was shocked at what he showed me. Drink the Disney koolaid if you must but don't be surprised when you look back a few years from now and see differently how things came together with tracking, personal information, etc.
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #63
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

<>

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #64
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Gothel View Post
I can assure you theres more data and tracking on the MB than Disney is telling you. I work for a company that deals in security. After discussions about certain topics with a coworker I gave my previous MB to him as he works with certain types of devices. He gutted my MB and pulled the two necessary pieces out that make it work. He used certain pieces of equipment on it (similar to skimming) and was able to retrieve certain pieces of data that included my cc. I was shocked at what he showed me. Drink the Disney koolaid if you must but don't be surprised when you look back a few years from now and see differently how things came together with tracking, personal information, etc.
Hmmm...this is very disconcerting. I thought the information was not on the band itself.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #65
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2
The readers are in the tables.
Is this speculation or fact? Fascinating!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #66
pampam
DIS Veteran

Disney has spent millions of $$ and it will pay for itself in tracking the guests. They will know where you are, how long you spend in a shop, or even how long you spend in a bathroom. This is info they will use in the future to decide where to set up another gift shop or vending cart. The MBs have antennas that recieve and transmit info. They are battery powered, and it is suggested the battery will last 3 years. The KTTW cards have passive chips, only good for a very short distance. We can opt out of the MBs and use the cards only, but everyone is wanting this new toy. And putting it in your pocket or purse will not stop it from transmitting info. You could put it in an Altoid box, inside a tinfoil lined bag, inside another metal box, or you could decline the MB. Big brother is watching.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #67
jannylynn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
Disney has spent millions of $$ and it will pay for itself in tracking the guests. They will know where you are, how long you spend in a shop, or even how long you spend in a bathroom. This is info they will use in the future to decide where to set up another gift shop or vending cart. The MBs have antennas that recieve and transmit info. They are battery powered, and it is suggested the battery will last 3 years. The KTTW cards have passive chips, only good for a very short distance. We can opt out of the MBs and use the cards only, but everyone is wanting this new toy. And putting it in your pocket or purse will not stop it from transmitting info. You could put it in an Altoid box, inside a tinfoil lined bag, inside another metal box, or you could decline the MB. Big brother is watching.
Have you actually read 1984? Disney tracking us to get us to spend a few more bucks doesn't compare to a life threatening tyrannical government tracking citizens to make sure they aren't rebelling. Using a trackable device to get onto ride, link pictures, and "magically" bring you your food simply isn't even close to the fictionally portrayed Big Brother watching his citizens.

All Star Music, Family Suite, Dec. 2013!
jannylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #68
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannylynn View Post
Have you actually read 1984? Disney tracking us to get us to spend a few more bucks doesn't compare to a life threatening tyrannical government tracking citizens to make sure they aren't rebelling. Using a trackable device to get onto ride, link pictures, and "magically" bring you your food simply isn't even close to the fictionally portrayed Big Brother watching his citizens.
Aaack! Not logic and fact?!!
Old 12-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #69
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
Is this speculation or fact? Fascinating!
Fact. My DH saw it. Yes he looked lol what can I say he was curious lol
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #70
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Same thing happened to us as the OP but on Splash. Never scanned our bands or anything, but the photo showed up anyway (even though we weren't even using PP). I figured it was related to MBs but I'm definitely curious as to why it only picked up Splash. We rode all the other rides that offer photos, and even used FP+ for several of them, but only Splash showed up in our PP account.
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #71
pampam
DIS Veteran

Jannylynn, I'm sure you will agree that there are many big brothers. And further, I never stated that WDW was the government. Let's keep this on topic, please. I am just stating that the technology is there for us to be tracked, and yes, to stay on topic I do believe it is creepy. At this point, we can opt out, by using the KTTW cards, but many will choose not to. That is their perogative. If you don't want every move watched and analyzed, then don't use the MBs.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #72
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Gothel View Post
i don't believe this. post pictures with your credit card # or its not true.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #73
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Yes if you completely cover the band in foil it will block the signal.

Aluminum foil will also block radio signals if you wear it as a hat. Researchers at MIT tested them.
OMG, if I start seeing people walking around with foil wrapped MBs, I will lose it. That would be hysterical!!! LOL

I don't get what people are creeped out about. If this creeps you out, don't ever Google yourself on the internet. LOL

It's simple technology that they've told you about ahead of time.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #74
rt2dz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannylynn View Post
Not to get off topic, but, you are only a hop, skip and jump away. After all:

The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.  Adolf Hitler

Or, this is the beginning. Start small. With something insignificant. Who cares about Disney marketing? We're adults. We can think for ourselves. Make our own decisions. It's why the grist thing most dictators do during a takeover is kill the teachers, change education to stop free thinking, so we become more susceptible to whatever lines we are fed v. Knowing how to analyze and critique, to see connections from the past to the present and how it affects the future.

I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere someone posted the links to where there is some relationship between Disney and the NSA regarding magic bands. I can't remember what it was, but it was something that an intelligent, thinking person should keep in mind why harmless here, there is other potential.

Now, will I be wearing a tinfoil hat? Nope. We'll have the magic bands in a couple of weeks, but my eyes are wide open. And, I'm pretty sure there is at least some temporary storage on those magic bands.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #75
jannylynn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
Jannylynn, I'm sure you will agree that there are many big brothers. And further, I never stated that WDW was the government. Let's keep this on topic, please. I am just stating that the technology is there for us to be tracked, and yes, to stay on topic I do believe it is creepy. At this point, we can opt out, by using the KTTW cards, but many will choose not to. That is their perogative. If you don't want every move watched and analyzed, then don't use the MBs.
No, I don't agree that there are many big brothers. It is generally used in reference to government monitoring citizens and mind control. You clearly haven't read that book to understand why I take issue with the comparison. Disney tracking us isn't the same thing at all. It's hyperbole to use that term. And I am on topic because it has been brought up often in this thread.

I agree. Opt out. Stay offsite. Don't pull fp- since they can link that to your ticket which has your name. Pay with cash. Refuse the fingerprint id. Wear a hat and sunglasses to remain incognito if you have issues with this.

All Star Music, Family Suite, Dec. 2013!
jannylynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: