Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #31
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Oh my gosh! I was there Nov 10 to 15 and got a couple e-mails about my PP about to expire. I never used PP so I just assumed it was an e-mail sent to everyone. After I read this, I went to the site. I have 4 pictures! TT, RnR, EE (2, I rode twice). It lists the dates and times! It must read your magic band when the picture is taken! I don't know how I feel about this. It's nice that you have the photos but it's creepy that they could pull these up. They really are tracking you!

It will be a bonus for me and my son. He is a special needs adult, and by the time I get him off the rides and to the photo display, our pictures are gone. I know I can ask a CM to find them, if I wait in the purchase line. But, who wants to do that?
PatMcDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #32
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulan1123 View Post

What I want to know, how about some of the other rides like Dinosaur, or Everest Expedition that have the photos and are not on the photopass??
Those rides ARE on photopass, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
When our food was brought to us, the waitress mentioned that we must have moved tables, and I felt a little creeped out. Given how much Disney stresses that there's no gps-type thing on the bands, I was surprised to realize they could track us moving around like that.
They are pretty clear on the fact that MBs have long range transmitters and can be read from afar. I assume if you had had the rose and moved tables that would have been found as well.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #33
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Duh, yes and we have also known there was a camera for that purpose. These new pictures are more or less taken unawares.
We saw photos of guests projected on the wall when in the Nemo ride line. They were "head shots" of a father and his daughter. There were only the four of us in the whole line and it was very obvious it was their photos. The father was excited to see them.

Were their photos taken unknowingly when they entered the line? DD and I did not have MBs and photos of us were not projected on the wall.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
They are pretty clear on the fact that MBs have long range transmitters and can be read from afar. I assume if you had had the rose and moved tables that would have been found as well.
Just to be clear. Based on the technical specs, long range means about ten feet.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #35
rmm7e
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I assume if you had had the rose and moved tables that would have been found as well.
The whole purpose of the rose was to find you to deliver your food. You don't take the rose with you when you leave. But you do take the magic band. And that's what is a little bit creepy to me. I don't have anything to hide, but there is something unsettling about being tracked like that, even when you know ahead of time and agree to it going in.

rmm7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
soccer mom
DIS Veteran

Okay, so we have been getting our pictures taken on rides without our consent for a long time, but how do they identify each picture and send it to our email address? It our MB somehow scanned as the picture is being taken? My daughter just called me ten minutes ago to tell me that she also received pictures this morning from her trip the week before Thanksgiving. She was totally creeped out as I was when she told me. We are going in February and I was excited to try the MB, but not now. I will be requesting a card to carry. It is just too creepy.
CSR - December 2011
POFQ - November 2010, 2009, 2008
WL - Return from Iraq Celebration! - December 2007
BWI - First Time No Kids! - January 2007
ALK - December 2005
POR - January 2005
WL - November 2003
BC/Poly - November 2002
AKL - November 2001
POFQ - December 1999
FW Cabins - December 1994, 1991
FW Campgrounds - March 1985, 1981, 1976
soccer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #37
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer mom View Post
Okay, so we have been getting our pictures taken on rides without our consent for a long time, but how do they identify each picture and send it to our email address?

1- It our MB somehow scanned as the picture is being taken?

My daughter just called me ten minutes ago to tell me that she also received pictures this morning from her trip the week before Thanksgiving. She was totally creeped out as I was when she told me. We are going in February and I was excited to try the MB, but not now.

2- I will be requesting a card to carry. It is just too creepy.
1- Yes.

2- OK.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #38
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Last edited by Robo; 12-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #39
EvoldicA
Mouseketeer

I got the email too.. I just thought it was some sort of error. I expected Disney to use the RFID to tag things to you throughout the park. In fact I can actually read my magic band using my cell phone and an app. (Close range..) Some of the information is encrypted, and for the most part the band is just an id #. Without Disney's database of information the id # is pretty useless. RFID is not new.. so if you are paranoid about being 'tracked' you might consider the fact that many credit cards / ID cards have RFID tags in them now. US Passports have an RFID tag built into them as well.

If you don't want to be 'tracked' you probably should stay home, and not use the internet. It's happening everywhere via facial recognition and more.

MK for MNSSHP 10/7/11, MK for MNSSHP 10/16/11, EPCOT for Sugar Ray 10/19/11, MK on 11/10/11, MK for MVMCP 12/13/11, MK for fireworks 12/31/11.
Leaping around MK for 24h of madness 2/29/12 !
[First Disney Hotel!] POP on 3/10/12, All Star Music from 4/30-5/2/12
EvoldicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

I see no issues with it. Just a different way for disney to track you when you are on THEIR property. As for the rfid... yes, the cards are read by sensors. However, even the "long range" ones are pretty short range. They do not have the power for all that much range.

I also think using them to keep data such as those photos is a brillent idea. I see nothing scary or creapy about it. When you approach the photo spot, it reads the band, the photo is taken and it is linked to the account. Your email and the like are already linked through mde. So not sure what the surprise is.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #41
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer mom View Post
Okay, so we have been getting our pictures taken on rides without our consent for a long time, but how do they identify each picture and send it to our email address? It our MB somehow scanned as the picture is being taken? My daughter just called me ten minutes ago to tell me that she also received pictures this morning from her trip the week before Thanksgiving. She was totally creeped out as I was when she told me. We are going in February and I was excited to try the MB, but not now. I will be requesting a card to carry. It is just too creepy.
The card will do the same thing, RFID chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Just to be clear. Based on the technical specs, long range means about ten feet.
It has to be more than 10 feet if they can quickly find you in the BOG restaurant.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #42
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Not really, I think this is a part of the new technology.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 OKW - July 2015 AKV Kidani June 2016
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #43
rt2dz
DIS Veteran

Well, I do find it a bit creepy/intrusive that it comes to you without doing anything to prompt it. Besides getting the magic band. And if you do opt out of the magic band, it does put you at a disadvantage,a s *I* see things. At least with RIFD technology in cards, we have RIFD wallets that block it going out to others. Not really a way to do that with the bands.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #44
CarouselOfProgress4
Mouseketeer

I think people become creeped out because they are so surprised and start to understand how often this actually happens. Other than that, the whole thing is kind of cool!
CarouselOfProgress4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #45
dbriggsq
Mouseketeer

My goodness. I just had an email about this which I sent to junk mail, but just went back and checked it and there were several ride photos of me.

I can't understand how they can link the MB I used, even though I didn't use it for all the attractions, to my image. I do find it very uncomfortable and have sent disney an email to that effect.
dbriggsq is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: