Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
They have been taking "attraction photos" of every single ride vehicle (on the attractions that offer them,) for years.

It's not just been since MB's have been introduced.
In many circumstances, your images have been sold to OTHER guests who happened to be riding in the same ride vehicle with you for years, too.
Yes, I remember being very puzzled by a Disser who opted not to treat her child (age 9!) to the Wild Africa Trek because they have a photographer take pictures of everyone on the trek, including a group photo, and afterwards send the CD to everyone who was in that group.

She was concerned about her child's image being sent to strangers, who might possibly have talked to him during the trek, and who would now have enough personal information to... I don't know, kidnap him or something.

She said she wasn't worried about ride photos, because her child wouldn't be talking to anyone on the ride.

I can only imagine her reaction if she'd been sent an e-mail like this!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Um every single person that rides gets their picture taken.
But before, your name was not attached to them. You were just an anonymous person.
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
jepperson1
Space Ranger

What exactly are people so paranoid about happening these days? There are security cameras almost everywhere you go. Every time you use a credit/debit card you are linked to that location and the security camera footage can be brought up. Instead of an irrational fear of someone looking at me, I am comforted by the fact that I'm being protected by a security system and police, since I'm not a drug mule. Likewise, I'd probably see the ride photo and be surprised by the lovely memory of my vacation.
jepperson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
doctornick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
But before, your name was not attached to them. You were just an anonymous person.
You've never been an anonymous person to Disney -- they have a ton of cameras with facial recognition software set up around the parks. The MB simply streamlines the process.

Anyhow, I think this seems like a positive change. Instead of wasting your precious park time looking at the ride photos and deciding whether or not to buy them on the spot, you can look at them later at your leisure without having to do anything.
doctornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
Magpie

I just checked my account and was disappointed that there was no "surprise" photos on there.

On the plus side, our pics with Snow White are hilarious!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
doctornick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
I just checked my account and was disappointed that there was no "surprise" photos on there.
Yeah, I'm actually in the opposite boat than the thread starter. We used our MB as the photopass through out trip earlier this month and I was interested to see ride photos just get automatically placed on there, but none showed up. I wouldn't buy any anyway, so it's not worth it to me to get them added onto our MM+ account, but I think it's a good feature and addition by Disney.

Anyone know why ride photos wouldn't show up on your account if you were wearing MBs all the time?
doctornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
TDSAXX
Mouseketeer

Clearly this is just one example of how Disney intends to recoup it billion dollar investment in FP+/MB. You didn't sign up for Photo Pass or purchase the photo when you came off the ride, so they'll take one more shot at squeezing this extra money out of you.
TDSAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSAXX View Post
Clearly this is just one example of how Disney intends to recoup it billion dollar investment in FP+/MB. You didn't sign up for Photo Pass or purchase the photo when you came off the ride, so they'll take one more shot at squeezing this extra money out of you.
Well, and good on 'em, too! They're not forcing me to buy the photo, they're just giving me one more chance to consider it... if I want!

If they make more money this way, it'll be because people think the product is worth it.

I like it, and hope a bunch of ride photos show up from our next trip in April. Even if we don't buy any, it'll be fun to see them again.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
Liljo22
Mouseketeer

Is it the ride photo? I don't understand the creepy factor. Your picture is taken on most of the rides. Don't you find it creepier that your photo is shown on the screen afterwards and anyone can buy it?

Do not do ETWB then, they give a generic photopass and every picture from that session is on it whether it's your child or not.
Liljo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post

1- Is it the ride photo? I don't understand the creepy factor.

2- Your picture is taken on most of the rides.
1- Yes.
2- Not very many, really.

Attractions with "Ride Photos" taken of guests during the ride

MK- Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
MK- Splash Mountain
MK- Space Mountain

DHS- Tower of Terror
DHS- Rock'nRoller Coaster

Epcot- Test Track

AK- Expedition Everest
AK- Dinosaur

Maybe one or two more have been added.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #26
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Duh, yes and we have also known there was a camera for that purpose. These new pictures are more or less taken unawares.
What "new" pictures? It's not the same pic using the same cameras that they have been using for years??
I don't give a mouses bottom if WDW knows where I am at every minute of my life, maybe I should put my MB in my purse so they can track me when Im not there too....

wdwloverz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm7e
With the magic band, Disney definitely knows where you are at all times. I realized this while having lunch at Be Our Guest. They didn't give me a rose to mark my table, they delivered my food based on the band. That did creep me out because I was assuming you had to be in close range (and tap the sensor) for it to really work. Instead it's like a Marauder's Map and they are tracking you. (Or will be soon, throughout the parks.)
The ride photo thing doesn't bother me - in fact I think I would kind of like it if all of my ride pictures were automatically sent me so I could check them out later without having to do anything at the time. The BOG thing ^^ did creep me out though - when we were there in October they didn't hand us a rose, saying they'd find us using our bands instead. We actually left my band at our table under a sweater and went off to get our drinks, came back and moved to a better table. When our food was brought to us, the waitress mentioned that we must have moved tables, and I felt a little creeped out. Given how much Disney stresses that there's no gps-type thing on the bands, I was surprised to realize they could track us moving around like that.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
CarouselOfProgress4
Mouseketeer

Yes creepy but very interesting. I can see how guests can feel uneasy about this. On the otherhand many people probably purchase these photos.
CarouselOfProgress4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #29
opal
Mouseketeer

I am aware that I am "on camera" almost constantly while visiting WDW. I am also aware that I am having my picture taken on various rides, etc and that complete strangers buy pictures with me in them and take them home and hang them on their walls. I am actually rather amused by that. In addition I know that I am probably in countless random photos taken by guests in the park (I have countless photos of people I don't know from my trips).

The aspect that I found creepy was that they were able to take one of those random ride photos and match it up to me and then email me. I was on dozens of rides during that visit where pics are taken and this was the only one that showed up in my account.

I don't recall reading any info that stated that they would use the magic bands to solicit photo sales. Perhaps if I had know they would use the magic bands for that purpose it wouldn't seem so intrusive.
opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #30
CarouselOfProgress4
Mouseketeer

I don't have a legal mind but I would imagine they would use the old excuse of "we have completed previous business with you, we have every right to solicit you". I personally have heard this so much lately
CarouselOfProgress4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: