Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #316
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Time seems to fly when you have fun in the water and soon we had to get back to the room and get ready for lunch (good thing is that there are underground tunnels - heated tunnels - where you can walk in your bathing suit and bathrobe from your hotel to the spa).

Minestrone soup

Gnocci with tomato sauce

and another salad from the salad bar

dessert - ice cream

And then it was time to head home, it took me a lot longer as it would not stop snowing and the roads were slippery with sleet and about 20 cm of snow.

The snow stayed around for some time the next week

And the week went by fast and I was on my way back to Bad Hofgastein again. This time the weather was perfect, sunshine and warm.

I again went right after work on Friday, but had to pick up a tiny cake for Tom, as it was his birthday that week.

continued in the next post
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #317
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

The spa and town look awesome. Makes me miss Germany and Austria....I need to come back and visit.

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #318
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Oh. My. Gosh! Sooooo jealous of all the upcoming trips you have! Even though there were a few snafu's (deposit, forgetting to check in) everything seemed to work out just fine!

And those pictures of the spa are amazing! I love seeing the town with snow over it. So picturesque!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #320
Teri1
DIS Veteran

Love the pictures of the spa in Austria. Brings back a few memories of how beautiful it was.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #321
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Plans for the future trips sound great!

Love the Spa pictures and the town/mountain pictures. Simply beautiful.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #322
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
The spa and town look awesome. Makes me miss Germany and Austria....I need to come back and visit.

Jill in CO
You are always welcome here, Jill!
Being in Bad Hofgastein made us realize just how beautiful it is here too. You kind of take those things for granted, when you see them every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Oh. My. Gosh! Sooooo jealous of all the upcoming trips you have! Even though there were a few snafu's (deposit, forgetting to check in) everything seemed to work out just fine!

We are very pleased with the lineup. I need to plan far ahead to stay on top of airfare, which is, like the cruises, the cheaper the earlier you book. Not that it was CHEAP for Tom's birthday trip.

Oh yeah, and forgetting to check in online! How could that have happened? I blame it on Disney not releasing the new itineraries early enough - THEY got me off track!

And those pictures of the spa are amazing! I love seeing the town with snow over it. So picturesque!
It is a really small village, but it is very beautiful the way it is nestled between the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
what a wonderful spa. So many neat things to do there.
It was beautiful and it felt like vacation to me too! Unfortunately because of being away EVERY weekend, all my weekend chores needed to be done during the week and it just flew by.
But the time at the spa with Tom really made up for the lack of time otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri1 View Post
Love the pictures of the spa in Austria. Brings back a few memories of how beautiful it was.
I am glad you enjoy, Teresa! You really need to come back to Europe one day - many things have changed, but I am sure you would still love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Plans for the future trips sound great!

Thanks, Kathy! We really are very happy with the line-up of our future trips!

Love the Spa pictures and the town/mountain pictures. Simply beautiful.
Bad Hofgastein is really a nice little village. They still keep all the older buildings in very good shape and it is so pretty the way it is situated in the valley.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....

Old 04-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #323
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I arrived right after Tom had finished his dinner and checked in. We went for a walk in the evening after I had had my dinner, which was a salad bowl from a supermarket and a ham sandwich. And after sampling some of his birthday cake (which we didn't take a photo of) we called it an early night.

The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel he was staying, then went shopping. I needed some shoes and the day before we had seen some, which I really liked. I ended up buying three pairs which came close to 350€!
Next stop was a tiny shop that sold home-made jams and spirits. Since it was Tom's birthday, I picked up the bill for some rather yummy "Schnaps" and a few jars of jam.
Then it was time to slowly head back to our room for some rest and to get changed as we were on our way to a restaurant we had found online to have his birthday lunch.

We went to the Bertahof

it had come highly recommended on tripadvisor and it looked "cute" from the outside.

Once inside it looked great and we were led to a nice corner table,

handed the menu and ordered our drinks. I got some Diet Coke (driver!) and Tom had some beer

The menu was hand written

and the place setting was so neat

Once we had placed our order we were asked if we cared for some spreads and meats, needless to say we had to try - we could not let our DISboards friends down.

It did not take long and a board with our spreads and meats was placed on the table together with a basket of bread.

There was venison and lamb salami (house made!), a wonderfully light and tasty trout mousse and "Steirisches Verhackertes", which is actually minced bacon and lard, seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper. Yes, very fattening, but oh so tasty.

I was still nibbling breads and spreads when Tom's soup arrived. He had ordered something that we had not seen on a menu anywhere before, the
Horseradishsoup with "knuckle of pork" popcorn.

It was served in this cute old cooking pot. And here's the "popcorn".

They were greaves (or Grammeln as we call them). And boy, was that a tasty soup. The horseradish gave it great aroma and the "popcorn - greaves" were perfect with it. Needless to say, he enjoyed every spoonful of it.

When he was finished he ordered another beer

and soon after our main courses were served.
Tom had ordered the Deep Fried, Breaded Chicken, served with Potato and Mache.

Again, a generous portion and the taste was devine. The chicken was still moist and tender and the potato salad had just the right acidity.

I had ordered the Veal Burgers with Mashed Potatoes and salad.

And they were just as delicious as they looked. They looked small at first, but they were so filling and the jus they came with was really good.

We were far too full for dessert, even though we would have loved to try one.

Instead we drove back to the hotel to walk along the waterfall trail.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #324
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately I had chosen some of the new shoes and about 20 minutes into the trail my heels started to hurt.

I really hoped to be able to push through, but after another 20 minutes I had to give in and we turned around.

So after a short stop at the hotel to put on some band aids and change shoes again, we were now in search of some good socks. I had seen a large clothing store on the way to Bad Hofgastein, so we got into the car and drove there. We were out of luck as they were closed, but we had already driven so far, so we decided to go on and pay Dorfgastein a visit.

We walked around for about 45 minutes and then went back. There was one thing I still really wanted to do. I had seen an offer for 25% off catfood. And I had a voucher for the same store for an additional 10% off. So back we went to the store, but they did not have much variety, so we went to a larger store a little further down the road. We drove there, did some extensive shopping, had some ice cream and a drink in the car and while we sat there it started to get dark. We still needed dinner, so we decided to drive to a pizza place right down the road.

We quickly found a table, were served our drinks

and soon after our pizzas were delivered. I cannot remember what exactly we had ordered, but the size was impressive.

Needless to say that we were not able to finish them and ended up taking away a "whole" pizza.

It came in handy lateron after we had spent the rest of the evening in the spa until 10. After we had gotten back and showered we sat on the bed and finished off the rest of the pizza before going to bed.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #325
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Looks like a day of great shopping and great food!

Jill in CO
Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #326
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Lunch for Tom's birthday looks fabulous.

Love the waterfall trail, but sorry the new shoes started giving you trouble and you had to give up.

The next village is adorable...it looks so quaint.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #327
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

That lunch looks so delicious! Love the different meat they serve you with spread and breads. Yum!

Sounds like a great day of shopping, eating and drinking

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #328
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Looks like a day of great shopping and great food!

Jill in CO
Everything was perfect that day, apart from the blisters on my heels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Lunch for Tom's birthday looks fabulous.

Love the waterfall trail, but sorry the new shoes started giving you trouble and you had to give up.

The next village is adorable...it looks so quaint.
That was a great country restaurant we had found. The food was so good.

Tom went the waterfall trail a few times and photos he took were awesome. I really wanted to see it for myself, but my blisters didn't like more hiking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
That lunch looks so delicious! Love the different meat they serve you with spread and breads. Yum!

Sounds like a great day of shopping, eating and drinking
It was a really good lunch. The spreads and meats were awesome!
And we really enjoyed the rest of the day too - nothing better than a little retail therapy.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #329
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Okay, I promise there aren't many photos left of Tom's and my spa stay.

So, after a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast we headed over to the spa again. We spent most of the morning enjoying the the indoor and outdoor pool of the relax area, then checked out the family area with it's slide and dome "in the pool" cinema.
Around 11am we bid the pool goodbye and headed back to Tom's room. We took showers and then got ready to head out for lunch again.

There was this little castle, which Tom had been looking at from the pool most every night and it was time to give it a try for lunch.

Here's the Weitmoser Schlössl ....... (Weitmoser castle)

We were led to an inside table

and were seated here

We ordered some drinks, beer for Tom

and Diet Coke for myself

(yes, it still comes in glass bottles and there are no free refills! ) and started studying the menu.

There were lots of really nice choices, but in the end we found what we really wanted.
Tom ordered the Liverdumpling Soup

which was to die for. I tried the creamy potato and leek soup with bacon bits.

OMG, that soup was so good! I could easily have made a meal of it.

Once we had "inhaled" our starters our main courses came out about 10 minutes later.
Tom had ordered the fawn medallions with chestnut puree and pear compot, served with small Austrian dumplings and red cabbage.

I had ordered the Filet steak with green pepper sauce, served with deep fried potato rounds and buttered green beans.

And even though it was more on the rare side than medium, the meat melted in your mouth and it was delicious.

We had to try dessert, so Tom ordered the Illy Coffee dessert, which basically was an Espresso, a scoop of chocolate ice cream and some whipped cream on top.

I had some more calories in mind. I ordered the apricot strudel, served with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #330
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

And once we had settled the bill we walked around the building

After lunch we went back to Tom's hotel, packed up most of his stuff and loaded everything into my car as he had to go home by train that next week.

Shortly after 3pm I started the drive home and arrived back home around 6pm.

Here are some more panoramic pics Tom has taken .......

Tom wanted to say thank you to some of the people helping him get better, so I got him some sweets from a very famous gingerbread factory. He decorated them himself and it turned out pretty nice I think.

Okay, that's it now - FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Next up - the continuation of the Paris trip report.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: