Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #151
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 2, January 4
Christmas is still in the air ……- Part 1

We had an 8.30 breakfast time, so we decided to sleep in until 7am, then got up, got ready and packed up whatever things were still out. All the luggage was placed in one spot and then it was finally time to head downstairs for breakfast.
When the elevator doors on the ground floor opened we were shocked at how busy the hotel already was. People were lining up for character pics and it was hard to pass them by. We were surprised to see both main restaurants, the Manhattan restaurant and the Parkside Diner open for breakfast. Not knowing that we could choose which restaurant we wanted to go to we followed the family ahead of us to the Manhattan restaurant. At the entrance we waited to be seated and were finally led into the restaurant and seated at a smaller table to the side. I really liked the place setting

with a nice paper New York scene placemat. And once we had taken a photo of it we went right to the buffet.
We got ourselves some

coffee, Hot Chocolate and

orange juice before we went and picked up some food. Now, the buffet has hot and cold offerings and we went straight for the hot buffet. Not that it was overly large, but there were scrambled eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes and small veal sausages. We both filled our plates,

got some tomatoes to add a bit of colour and some rolls and

butter, and headed back to our table. Last time we had been the food had been barely seasoned so this time I had put on some salt without even tasting anything.
Thank god I didn’t overdo it, as this time the food had been seasoned. We sat down and started to indulge in the breakfast food we had in front of us. Plates cleaned, Tom decided to get himself another plate of

savoury, this time cold breakfast items, some cheese and cold cuts and some rolls, while I felt more like finishing off my breakfast with something sweet. So I got myself

a “pain au chocolate”, a chocolate croissant and a regular croissant with some apricot jam.
We both enjoyed our choices very much, together with a second helping of drinks. Once we had finished our breakfast we walked through the small store and then over to the front desk to ask how our room swap would be handled. A cast member looked it up on the computer, then told us that we were to leave our luggage in the room and that our new room would be rather after 3 o’clock.
Oh fun ……. you did not read my reservation and now I won’t have a room for half of the day. But we did not say anything since we wanted to go and explore the parks in the morning and go and do some shopping at Auchan in the afternoon anyway.
When we walked away from the front desk I remembered something I had wanted to try and change as well. Our next day’s breakfast assignment. We had received a card that gave us access after 9.30 and we had actually planned on trying to get to the parks earlier. So I turned around, but there were now three people waiting in line and I didn’t want to queue up again. So we went over to the Concierge and asked if they could help.
They could, but the only card THEY had left was for 7.30. It was perfect – it would allow us to have breakfast between 7.30 and 8am! The Cast Member there was really very helpful, so in return we handed her some of our Merci chocolates. The smile on her face was more than worth it.
So then we went back to the room, checked for forgotten items and packed our valuables into our carry-ons, which we then took with us and locked in the car. We were allowed to keep our keys until we returned, so once the carry-ons were in the car we were free to leave for the parks.

It is just a few steps over to the baggage check at the entrance of the Disney village and I got pretty irritated again. They have some of those scanning devices like they have at the airport and while people with camera bags and handbags queue up, they are just waving people with strollers, loaded with bags through without checking THEIR bags. It is something that really angers me every time I see it happen and I see it happen a lot.
Okay, rant over, we got in line and had our bags scanned, then headed inside the Disney Village.

You go past the Café Mickey and while walking by we saw the characters interact with the diners. Once we were past we noticed the construction fence we had seen the day before in front one of the stores and were surprised to read that a Lego Store would open there in the near future. We were in no hurry as we no longer go to the parks to get on a lot of rides, but for the atmosphere and if we can fit in a ride or two, it’s an added bonus. There are lots of shops to check out and they had some new merchandise,

so we took our sweet time to stroll through them.

At the end of the village is the new World of Disney store, which we had to pay a visit to as well.

Then we finally walked over to the Disneyland park.

We usually use the entrance to the far right of the Disneyland Hotel, but this time, once we arrived we were diverted to the main entrance. Thankfully there were not too many people and we were inside the park with very little wait.

The decorations were awesome. We stopped and took them in before walking under the train station and onto the Main Square.

And we were stunned again, lots of decorations, beautiful decorations above Main Street and a brand new Christmas Tree with lots of fun pieces of decoration.

To be continued .....
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Last edited by dizneeat; 01-18-2014 at 03:21 PM.
dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #152
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Breakfast looks delicious!

Even though your were going to be out and about at the parks, it still stinks knowing your 'homeless' for half a day. But glad that you were able to change your breakfast time for the following day!

Wow the park is so gorgeous all decorated! Okay i'm trying to wrap my head around this. There are two entrances. Like California Adventure? Or is the other entrance very extravagent like the main entrance? Hope this makes sense

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #153
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Breakfast looks delicious!

Even though your were going to be out and about at the parks, it still stinks knowing your 'homeless' for half a day. But glad that you were able to change your breakfast time for the following day!

Wow the park is so gorgeous all decorated! Okay i'm trying to wrap my head around this. There are two entrances. Like California Adventure? Or is the other entrance very extravagent like the main entrance? Hope this makes sense
Breakfast is included in the price of your stay and this one is actually quite nice - I did remember to take pics of the buffet the next day, so stay tuned.

It really irked me that we would not be able to get into a new room until the afternoon, but at least we were going to have two beds. Having the sofa bed out kind of "filled the room".

We loved all the Christmas decorations and the tree was awesome. They did have a tree lighting ceremony and it was just awesome to see the lights change colour with the music. Disney at its best.

Now, the entrances ...... there is the Disneyland Paris main entrance, which you will reach by walking past the ticket booths under the Disneyland Hotel. It you go to the far right of the hotel there is a little side entrance to Disneyland Park as well. It is usually less crowded there, so we always try to sneak into the park there.
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #154
MEK
DIS Veteran

I just love seeing DLP. That Disneyland Hotel is just so stunning. I can't imagine how wonderful it looks in person. I'm glad you didn't have to wait long to get inside the park. Yup - the bag scan thing would irritate me too!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #156
pas130
DIS Veteran

The decorations are awesome! It's funny how similar but different DLP is to DL in Cali Very neat, thank you for all the pics. That is really thoughtful of you to give the CM chocolates for her help. I am sure she LOVED them! AND you'll be back "home" soon (well your U.S.A. home anyway)

Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #157
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I just love seeing DLP. That Disneyland Hotel is just so stunning. I can't imagine how wonderful it looks in person. I'm glad you didn't have to wait long to get inside the park. Yup - the bag scan thing would irritate me too!
I am happy to hear that you like the photos as there are A LOT more to come. The hotel is beautiful, but SO expensive.

The bag check makes me so angry. Tom always tells me to let it go, but it is so worthless if the really huge BAGS they carry in in a stroller are not checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Wow...those decorations look fabulous!!!!
They did! We were so pleased with the garlands above Main Street!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
The decorations are awesome! It's funny how similar but different DLP is to DL in Cali Very neat, thank you for all the pics. That is really thoughtful of you to give the CM chocolates for her help. I am sure she LOVED them! AND you'll be back "home" soon (well your U.S.A. home anyway)
It's funny as some parts of the park are so similar to the US ones and then so different. Don't know how to explain it.

We usually carry some chocolates for the outstanding CMs. There is that chocolate that is called "Merci" (which means thank you in French) and it is just so appropriate for the CMs.

Yes, you can call it going "home". Now that we earn DVC we really ARE going home.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #158
scrpbookr
Mouseketeer

magicaldisneytrips

I'm really enjoying reading back through all your fun adventures at magicaldisneytrips.com. You've done a lovely job with the site. Thanks for sharing!

I'm spending a lot of time there but I'm trying not to feel too guilty about all the screen time since technically I'm doing research for our first Disney cruise on the Magic in March and my first trip to DLRP in September.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Question: Do you have a general idea of when the Halloween Decorations will be displayed at DLRP? I'm there the last week of September and I'm hoping to get to experience them. That would totally make my trip even more magical! I've seen Disneyworld at Christmastime but I have yet to experience the parks for Halloween. Thank in advance for any info you might be able to give.
Disneyland Hong Kong - Mom, Reagan & Mike - 2010 (1st Visit)<--TRIP REPORT
Magic Kingdom - Reagan - Spring Break Cruise- 2012<--TRIP REPORT
Disneyland, CA & California Adventure (1st Visit to C.A.)- Dad & Reagan -Spring Break, 2013 <--TRIP REPORT
Disney World and Disney Magic Cruise! (1st Disney Cruise)- Mom and Reagan - Spring Break, 2014<--TRIP REPORT IN PROGRESS
Mixing Business & Magic - (1st Solo Disney Trip) Conference & Disney World - June, 2014 (TRIP REPORT COMING SOON)
Looking Forward To:
London, Paris and especially... Disneyland Paris!! (1st Visit!) - September, 2014.

Last edited by scrpbookr; 01-22-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Halloween Decoration Question
scrpbookr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #159
pas130
DIS Veteran

There's nothing like hearing that WELCOME HOME

Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #160
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrpbookr View Post
I'm really enjoying reading back through all your fun adventures at magicaldisneytrips.com. You've done a lovely job with the site. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so happy you enjoyed our other adventures as well.

I'm spending a lot of time there but I'm trying not to feel too guilty about all the screen time since technically I'm doing research for our first Disney cruise on the Magic in March and my first trip to DLRP in September.

I am sure you are going to love cruising with DCL. They do an awesome job when it comes to keep you happy!
And if you have any questions about DLRP, please just ask. I would love to help you out. Have you decided where to stay yet?

Again, thanks for sharing!

Question: Do you have a general idea of when the Halloween Decorations will be displayed at DLRP? I'm there the last week of September and I'm hoping to get to experience them. That would totally make my trip even more magical! I've seen Disneyworld at Christmastime but I have yet to experience the parks for Halloween. Thank in advance for any info you might be able to give.
If you are there the end of September you should have a good chance to see their Halloween Decorations.
They add things gradually, so parts might be fully decorated while others are still done, but it is nice to see things happen.
We just love the Christmas decorations at DLRP. So magical.

Please, if you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll try my best to find an answer for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
There's nothing like hearing that WELCOME HOME
Best thing to hear EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #161
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

I am still looking at hotels. I am really over thinking it being it is only 2 nights. LOL. Thanks for the info on the plane. Still looking at that too. We are doing Italy 9/19-9/30 and then Paris 9/30-10/4.
So far Rome hotel is booked and still looking in Florence and Venice for a hotel. Lots of research being done.

The breakfast looked good.
Too bad you couldn’t get the next room or enter it earlier.
I love Disney Village.
Not too bad at the Main Entrance.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #162
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
I am still looking at hotels. I am really over thinking it being it is only 2 nights. LOL. Thanks for the info on the plane. Still looking at that too. We are doing Italy 9/19-9/30 and then Paris 9/30-10/4.
So far Rome hotel is booked and still looking in Florence and Venice for a hotel. Lots of research being done.

Too bad you couldn’t get the next room or enter it earlier.
I love Disney Village.
I highly recommend the Locanda Orseolo in Venice. It's just off St Mark's Square and is run by a great family. I stayed there 2 nights in 2007 and loved it!

Www.locandaorseolo.com

Jill in CO
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #163
GAGirlInVA
DIS Veteran

I just love your trip reports! They make me smile so big and daydream about traveling for as long as you are able to!

Not to mention the thought of you making all these memories with your brother makes my mama heart just swell. Oh how I pray my children are close when they are older.

Dec 2010: ASMu April 2011: POP! Oct 2011: ASMo April 2014: Caribbean Beach resort!

Next trip? Maybe DisneyLAND for Dec '14 or March '15
GAGirlInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #164
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post

Too bad you couldnt get the next room or enter it earlier.
I love Disney Village.
Scott, it is really a pleasure to be able to help someone with something I deal with all the time.
To be honest, if they would not give me a nice discount I would not stay at the NY - too expensive. We like the Kyriad and given how much time you spend there it really is all you need. If you want to stay on property, have you looked at the Sequoia Lodge? It is cheaper than the NY and just a few more steps away.
Again, I would not rule out National carriers when choosing flights. They usually use the "big" airports and it is easier to get a connection on the next flight if you should miss a flight.
As for Venice - remember that if you choose a hotel on the island your only source of transport is by water. There are Vaporettos - water buses who are very reasonable and get you to the main points, or you can take a watertaxi - holy moly, they are expensive! If you take a Vaporetto, be aware that you might have to drag your luggage to your hotel.
We usually stay close to the terminal (after the long bridge) as we never spend a lot of time in a hotel room and from there you can either walk everywhere or use the Vaporetto.

We were fine with not having a room for a while in the end. It just was so disappointing when you only have three nights and they take half a day away from you.
Disney Village is cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I highly recommend the Locanda Orseolo in Venice. It's just off St Mark's Square and is run by a great family. I stayed there 2 nights in 2007 and loved it!

Www.locandaorseolo.com

Jill in CO
Looks great! I looked at the map and it looks like a little walk from the Vaporetto - do they pick you up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGirlInVA View Post
I just love your trip reports! They make me smile so big and daydream about traveling for as long as you are able to!

Not to mention the thought of you making all these memories with your brother makes my mama heart just swell. Oh how I pray my children are close when they are older.
Thank you for your kind words!
It is really nice to travel for a longer period of time. Time to really enjoy life in a foreign country. Well, even though it is an easy life, as we don't have to worry about work.

I am sure your kids will share a lot of wonderful memories as well.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #165
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Three weeks from today we will already be on a plane to Orlando! It's coming up fast!!!!!!!

Therefore ..........

I need to interrupt my current Paris TR to post planning for our WDW/DCL trip. Hope you don't mind too much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: