Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #76
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBella05 View Post
joining in
And a VERY BIG WELCOME to you! So happy to have you here.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #77
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

"THINK OF ALL THE JOY YOU'LL FIND, WHEN YOU LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND,
AND BID YOUR CARES GOODBYE..."
Day 1 – December 3, 2013 Part 1

Despite my letters, calls, and pleas to the “Scientist People”, they still haven’t come up with a safe mode of teleportation.
In fact, I’m pretty sure they just let my calls go to voicemail now.
So, I was still forced to use to the outdated and ancient transportation option known as “airplanes”.

Normally, I much prefer to get out on the earliest flight possible with the ultimate goal of arriving in Orlando at the earliest possible time.
Sleeping is of no concern to me.
I also prefer a direct flight and will gladly pay extra for it.

Sadly at this time of the year, direct flights do not exist to me, so I had no choice but to book a connector.
There was an early flight option, but I was put off by the excessive four hour layover.

Yeah, no bueno (vista).

So, I booked an early afternoon flight with a much more pleasant two hour layover, which would put me at MCO at around 7:30pm.
Certainly not ideal, but acceptable. This day was always about travel day anyway.

My main goal was to get in, get settled, and get prepared for the next day… My Birthday!!
Now I just had to hope there were no travel issues.

I arrived at my local airport in plenty of time and the weather here and in my connection city of Newark was looking good,
So I was confident that I wouldn’t have any weather related travel delays.

I won’t lie, I obsess over that.

Not so much on the trip home, but on the trip down I‘m not comfortable until I’ve boarded the fake-o-rail and have my suitcase in hand.

The advance weather for Orlando looked… ok. I figured I could make it work if I had to.

We’re fortunate to have US Customs Pre-Clearance here in Halifax, so I get all that done before I even get on the plane.
Once cleared, I'm an American before I even leave home... At least as far as flights are concerned.

I always leave plenty of time for security/customs, but the whole process took maybe 5 minutes TOTAL.

While I was waiting in the terminal, I grabbed a Tim Horton’s Coffee and, not one for relaxing, wandered around.
I was particularly intrigued by the chairs made by local schoolchildren as I thought they were just beautiful.

Despite their beauty, I did have a hard time understanding why a chair adorned with “Welcome” messages was placed in the airport DEPARTURES AREA!!!

Although, we are admittedly a simple people. Hey, at least we’re nice!!

Anyway…

The flight to Newark boarded more or less on time, and in no time I was on my way.

The plane itself was what we in the biz call a “puddle jumper” and consisted on one row of 2 seats, and one row of 1 seat.

Yeah… small plane. In fact, I’ve seen model airplanes that were bigger.
I thought maybe instead of jet propulsion, it was simply sent on its way by a giant slingshot, though I have no proof.

Nonetheless, the ride to Newark was fairly quick and painless, and I did manage to grab a pic of Met Life Stadium before landing.

I arrived in Newark Liberty in Terminal A. However, my MCO flight was leaving from Terminal C.
So, I boarded the high tech and highly secure terminal transfer BUS (seriously… a bus???) and was driven over to Terminal C.

There’s nothing particularly exciting to report here as after grabbing some lunch, I was on the plane and finally on my way to MCO!

I’m just going to skip over the flight itself and jump right to MCO. I hope you don’t mind.

There is just something so beautiful and special about the MCO airport terminal.
Yup, it’s just an airport, but for me, this is the moment that it all becomes real and I’m really “home”.... For Christmas.

Of course, this doesn’t hurt and should be installed in all airports around the world…

I rode the fake-o-rail over to baggage claim, taking absolutely no pictures on the way.
It was dark out now anyway, so the pictures would have sucked.
But for all my DIS friends, I did put together a representation of what the photos would have been if I had taken any.

Pretty, yes? You’re welcome.

Now, I do always rent a car on trips simply because I like having the option, plus the rates in Orlando are so competitive that the prices are super cheap.
I don't have to use it all the time with all the bus transportation, but I like knowing it's there.
Plus, I had a trip to SeaWorld planned and I had to get there somehow.

Normally my flights arrive in terminal A, but this flight arrived in Terminal B, so I was excited to finally see this for the first time in my life.

Yeah… first time… ever.

(Yeah, I know that gif is a repeat from the last TR, but it’s still appropriate and it makes me laugh.)

Even though I wasn’t using the service, seeing it just made me smile wide. I was SO CLOSE!!!!
I actually stood there for a while and just... Stared... before finally moving on.

Since I am a Dollar Express member, my car was ready and waiting for me. No line, nothing.
I just hopped in and was on my way. Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeezy.

POP… Disney… Mickey…. STACEY!!!!! … I’m comin’ HOME!!!!!

TO BE CONTINUED…
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #78
jrj
always looking forward to our next trip to DA WORLD!

Hey DISers... Rob's TR has started!!! Clutch the pearls
Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #79
vicceja
Mom to My Three Sons!

Love your TR! Can't wait to read more. Looking forward to our family trip this summer!

2003 June/July ASports 2005 June/July POR 2005 Dec Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006 April/May Polynesian Resort 2007 Jan/Feb Coronado Springs 2007 July/Aug Beach Club 2007 Dec Beach Club 2008 June 5-15 Beach Club2009 April/May Beach Club 2012 Aug POR
vicceja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #80
katt789
DIS Veteran

Yay for travel days! I travel much like you do in the sense of early flights, earlier in MCO! I do really enjoy the direct flights, but they are usually more expensive than I like to pay, and hard to find! Lol.

THAT IS A TINY PLANE I DO NOT LIKE!

Awe man, I totally get that, the excitement of arriving "home" only happens in that airport, it's where I belong and it all feels just perfect. First time ever seeing the DME place?! THAT is bizarre I tell ya! Seriously. Lol. Glad you got a look at it though!

SUPER EXCITED TO READ MORE!!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #81
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hey Rob those little puddle jumper planes are what I consider the first thrill ride of the trip! I don't mind for the most part but it sure makes drink service hard sometimes.

Loved that weather forecast. Summer temps in December without the humidity and afternoon thunderstorms.

The excitement of arriving AND getting to see Disney's ME! I'm with kitty!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #82
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Glad to hear you arrived without incident! I swear MCO must be the happiest airport in the world. I'm in a great mood about half the time I'm there.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #83
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Despite my letters, calls, and pleas to the “Scientist People”, they still haven’t come up with a safe mode of teleportation.
In fact, I’m pretty sure they just let my calls go to voicemail now.
So, I was still forced to use to the outdated and ancient transportation option known as “airplanes”.
Couldn't agree more, I love taking off and landing but could definitely do without the check in, security lines, hours in the air, waiting to transfer, etc, etc, etc. Airports are a necessary evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
There is just something so beautiful and special about the MCO airport terminal.
Yup, it’s just an airport, but for me, this is the moment that it all becomes real and I’m really “home”.... For Christmas.

I think my trip broke me... this pic just flooded me with good memories, I may have even shed a tear, and I just want to go back. This was when it felt "real" to me as well, until then it was all planning and talk but once I was in the MCO airport it hit me that I was really in Orlando and actually going to WDW.

Can't wait to read and see more.

Last edited by Viva Las Disney; 12-28-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Viva Las Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #84
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Merry Christmas, Rob! I just watched your Oh Holy Night video and still have teary eyes. My ultimate goal for 2014 is to play my guitar half as beautifully as that (though I'll never come close on the singing... one talent I just don't have!)

I too have been put on the Scientists' "No-Answer" list re: teleportation. It's only gotten worse since watching Star Trek. Every other gadget that they use on that show has already been invented. (You know, besides the ships.) Now for the transporters!
I can sympathize with the connecting flights being a pain.
I love the chairs painted by the kids! I guess the kids were probably told to paint them for the airport, so they ALL thought of arrivals and no one thought of departures, the result being that some of the chairs had to be spread out and some of the departures chairs say Welcome. Well, that's my theory.

Quote:
Although, we are admittedly a simple people. Hey, at least were nice!!
^^ This. Also so true.

Glad your journey was smooth and you got there on time and safe! I always get SO excited to be in MCO, the whole place just smells like the beginning of something awesome. And yes, the DME counter is pretty exciting too!
teekathepony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #85
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Yeah, the actual report started!

Oh, and it might just be because I just woke up and am not fully functional yet, but I am still giggling at the "No bueno (vistoa)"

I think, at least for us northerners, one of the reasons the MCO airport seems like more than an airport is the palm trees inside the airport ... like I am sure you didn't see any in Newark ... lovely metropolis that it is.

Oh, and I tend to get a lot of small planes for work travel, so yours seemed fiarly normal sized to me. Once had a 12 seat TOTAL place from New York to Toronto ... there was no flight attendant - the co-pilot just turned around and addressed us as "Lady and Gentlemen" (there was literally one woman on the flight) and gave us the safety spiel ... now that was a small plane

Can't wait for more!

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #86
courtneybelle
I don't have a skull. Or bones.

I've also tried to get in touch with the Scientist people, in my case about a money tree that grows $100 bills so I can put that money toward more Disney trips. This is 2013, you'd think we'd be there at this point. Oh well, 2014 is just around the corner!!

I think you made the right choice. A four hour layover would have been agony on the way to Disney.

That chair is beautiful!

I LOVED that tree in MCO and I don't think I ever got a picture, so I'm glad to see yours!

Great start Rob!! I am looking forward to your reunion with Stacey, Pop, and all things WDW.
courtneybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #87
amazingact21
Upendi

You know, it's almost 2014. If we can take pictures with a pair of glasses, we should be able to teleport. I'm just sayin'...

Whew, that sounds like a tiny plane. Glad it wasn't a terribly long flight.

And I agree, having a car at Disney is nice. I don't think I could ever rely strictly on the buses.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #88
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

Yay you're that much closer!!!

cheekypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #89
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
Hey DISers... Rob's TR has started!!! Clutch the pearls
Awww you are way too kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicceja View Post
Love your TR! Can't wait to read more. Looking forward to our family trip this summer!
THANK YOU SO MUCH and welcome! You should be looking forward to your trip and I hope it's a great one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
Yay for travel days! I travel much like you do in the sense of early flights, earlier in MCO! I do really enjoy the direct flights, but they are usually more expensive than I like to pay, and hard to find! Lol.

THAT IS A TINY PLANE I DO NOT LIKE!

Awe man, I totally get that, the excitement of arriving "home" only happens in that airport, it's where I belong and it all feels just perfect. First time ever seeing the DME place?! THAT is bizarre I tell ya! Seriously. Lol. Glad you got a look at it though!

SUPER EXCITED TO READ MORE!!
TOTALLY Katt!!! I love early flights and for you it's even more necessary since you lose time flying to Florida. I just wasn't doing the 4 hour layover. The good thing from here is when we do have direct flights, they're often actually CHEAPER. Probably because during those times the cheaper airlines (like Transat and Sunwing) offer flights. Sadly it's usually only in the Spring.

OMG IT WAS small. On the good side, I had my own row, lol.

YES YES YES!! You'll have to make special trips to see it since, you know, you'll be living there soon!
And first time seeing the DME desk ever. Honestly, it shocks me too!! I've just never used the service. But when I found out I was landing in "B", the decision was made.

YAY!!! It does get better, lol, starting with the first full day
Old 12-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #90
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Hey Rob those little puddle jumper planes are what I consider the first thrill ride of the trip! I don't mind for the most part but it sure makes drink service hard sometimes.

Loved that weather forecast. Summer temps in December without the humidity and afternoon thunderstorms.

The excitement of arriving AND getting to see Disney's ME! I'm with kitty!!
Haha, now that's a good point Brenda. In all honesty it was a really smooth flight. I've been on them before, so it wasn't anything new to me. Pretty much all the connecting flights to a US city are small planes from here.

OMG RIGHT??!! Yes, I can definitely see you being happy with that forecast as well, lol! There will be NO weather related complaints from me this trip.

Bahahaha "kitty". OK THAT made me But it's just the BEST feeling to land at that airport. Plus I always feel like I never left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Glad to hear you arrived without incident! I swear MCO must be the happiest airport in the world. I'm in a great mood about half the time I'm there.
Thanks Shannon! Yup, a pretty smooth transport for sure. OMG I so agree. It's just the best airport in the world. YES I get that point completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney View Post
Couldn't agree more, I love taking off and landing but could definitely do without the check in, security lines, hours in the air, waiting to transfer, etc, etc, etc. Airports are a necessary evil.

I think my trip broke me... this pic just flooded me with good memories, I may have even shed a tear, and I just want to go back. This was when it felt "real" to me as well, until then it was all planning and talk but once I was in the MCO airport it hit me that I was really in Orlando and actually going to WDW.

Can't wait to read and see more.
Exactly. If only there was a quicker way.

Awww that is so sweet to read and really sums up my feelings as well. I swear this airport is more familar to me than my own airport. There is a feeling that exists here. Believe me, the tears are there for me too. It really is the best feeling in the world knowing all the magic is still to come. But don't worry, we'll get through this together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Merry Christmas, Rob! I just watched your Oh Holy Night video and still have teary eyes. My ultimate goal for 2014 is to play my guitar half as beautifully as that (though I'll never come close on the singing... one talent I just don't have!)

I too have been put on the Scientists' "No-Answer" list re: teleportation. It's only gotten worse since watching Star Trek. Every other gadget that they use on that show has already been invented. (You know, besides the ships.) Now for the transporters!
I can sympathize with the connecting flights being a pain.
I love the chairs painted by the kids! I guess the kids were probably told to paint them for the airport, so they ALL thought of arrivals and no one thought of departures, the result being that some of the chairs had to be spread out and some of the departures chairs say Welcome. Well, that's my theory.

^^ This. Also so true.

Glad your journey was smooth and you got there on time and safe! I always get SO excited to be in MCO, the whole place just smells like the beginning of something awesome. And yes, the DME counter is pretty exciting too!
Merry Christmas to you as well Wendy. And to Johnny too of course. Aww gee THANK YOU!!

Haha, yes Star Trek really gives a sense of false hope doesn't it. Bring on "Beam Me Up!!"

Yes, you absolutely CAN sympathize. But I think it just shows your dedication to getting there.

That's probably it. Obviously the kids had nothing to do with the location and they just wanted to welcome everyone to Halifax. Which is beyond adorable. They really are beautiful.

Hehe... RIGHT??!!

It really was a smooth journey. No complaints (other than a stupid transfer BUS, but that's pretty minor). Isn't MCO awesome? And just the fact that they HAVE a DME counter and all that Disney stuff. It's really heavenly. Plus it allowed me to at least get in SOMETHING Disney for the first update.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: