Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Standard, Deluxe, Oceanview or verandah cabin?

We are looking to go on a Disney cruise in the Mediterranean this summer. What is the difference between the above staterooms? Which would you go for? Can we get two adjoining rooms rather than pay for a more expensive verandah one? Is a verandah worth the extra money? Thanks!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

I'm not the best one to give the personal opinions never having been on the ship, however I would suggest getting the free planning DVD from Disney, it has pictures and video of all the classes of cabin and we enjoy watching it from time to time for the other features as well.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
tanyam76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
We are looking to go on a Disney cruise in the Mediterranean this summer. What is the difference between the above staterooms? Which would you go for? Can we get two adjoining rooms rather than pay for a more expensive verandah one? Is a verandah worth the extra money? Thanks!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Hi, having been on the dream in room 10164 which is at the back of the ship with an extended verandah, I would not book anything else but. However there are people that do inside but are completely busy the entire day on the ship and only see their rooms for sleep time. For me having access to lounge chairs where you have your own private space to layout and catch sun. To me it was worth it but depends on how active you will be on the cruise. If you don't plan to be in your room at all except to sleep why foot the extra cost. I use the verandah so to me that was worth it.
tanyam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
We are looking to go on a Disney cruise in the Mediterranean this summer. What is the difference between the above staterooms? Which would you go for? Can we get two adjoining rooms rather than pay for a more expensive verandah one? Is a verandah worth the extra money? Thanks! Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
How many people are in your party and which itinerary? Just reread. Med.

There isn't a huge square footage difference between the different staterooms (with the exception of suites and oddly shaped staterooms) IMO.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Spunkyminky
Mouseketeer

I've been on other cruises but yet to go on DCL ships (our DCL cruise on Wonder is coming up in Feb 2014).
I chose verandah with DCL because having been on two cruises in the past in an inside cabin, I felt really claustrophobic.
I like my alone time with fresh air so I know for sure that I would use the verandah a lot, specially after my son goes to bed.
So it really depends on you.
Spunkyminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

I haven't done a Med cruise, but it seems like the point is really the ports. Check the price difference, but I think I might try for an Oceanview if I was expecting to be gone a lot.

Go to the trip reports section and search Med trip reports. You might get an idea from reading some of those.
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

We did a Med cruise in 2010 with a verandah cabin, it was great to be able to go out there in the mornings and watch the ship come into port. So many of them were so picturesque and not having to run up to deck 10 to see was fabulous!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Have you seen this site for deckplans? http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Ma...Disney%20Magic
It has a great description of the cabins next to the deck plans. It also provides interior cabin sqft and balcony sqft separately.

The Med cruises are very port intensive usually. If you plan to "do the ports." How much time will you actually spend in the cabin? On the veranda? Many folks book other lines outside of DCL in fact, for better $. Of course they miss that aggressive hospitality we have all grown to love with DCL, but .... Other lines have better itineraries and port times too fwiw. JMO. It's a tough decision I admit.

Good Luck and HTH
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
madelyn
DIS Veteran

From your signature, it looks like you are a family of 6? But maybe all of you aren't cruising? If all of you are cruising, I believe you must get 2 cabins (unless it is a suite?). We are taking our first cruise in about 2 weeks. We are a family of five with kids ages 15, 12 and 7. We ended up booking 2 standard inside side by side cabins (no adjoining door between them) since that was the cheapest option. We had to book an adult in the room but our initial plan was for our 15 and 12 year old to sleep in one cabin and the rest of us on the second cabin. Since our kids were older, we felt OK with them nearby but without an adjoining door. We thought the extra bathroom would be a great advantage. For our 4 day cruise, I think the family cabin with the verandah (sleeps a max of5) was going to cost about $1K more. We also considered having cabins across the hall from one another (one with a port hole) but decided against it.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: