Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Mama Odie
Mouseketeer

Tolls en route to Port Canaveral?

This will be our first time driving to Port Canaveral on our own. Are there tolls between Orlando and the port? Our rental car company is giving us the option to get an electronic toll pass because cash is not accepted for tolls. Do we need to select this option or is there another way?

Loved our first Disney cruise so much, I even wrote a song about it!
Mama Odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Odie View Post
This will be our first time driving to Port Canaveral on our own. Are there tolls between Orlando and the port? Our rental car company is giving us the option to get an electronic toll pass because cash is not accepted for tolls. Do we need to select this option or is there another way?
Cash not accepted for tolls? that would be a new one, how would all the visitors to the state like me that drive our own vehicles get around? From I4 to I95 on the Beachline would be 4.25 cash.

https://www.oocea.com/TravelersExpre...alculator.aspx
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Odie View Post
If driving from MCO and Port Canaveral there are cash lanes at the tolls.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

If I remember what I read once before about something like this. The cashless toll system is in the Miami-Dade county area. I think there might be one expressway in Tampa like this as well. I read about it once while I was in Tampa, it might have been while it was being changed over.

FYI: This is not a main road that many would be used by those going from TPA to Orlando or on to Port Canaveral.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
sdnotto2009
Earning My Ears

It's getting harder to find a manned toll booth. Make sure you have correct change but if it were me, I would take transponder. I live here and had to drive around with no transponder for 2 days when I bought my new car, it was painful.
sdnotto2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnotto2009 View Post
It's getting harder to find a manned toll booth. Make sure you have correct change but if it were me, I would take transponder. I live here and had to drive around with no transponder for 2 days when I bought my new car, it was painful.
All Main Line Toll Plazas in the Orlando area have manned toll lanes, on/off ramps don't.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
All Main Line Toll Plazas in the Orlando area have manned toll lanes, on/off ramps don't.
Correct. Just so as not to confuse the OP though, they won't be dealing with those secondary on/off ramps when driving from MCO to the Port.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
amyh13
Mouseketeer

I have a sister that lives in Orlando and Port Canaveral is an doable drive for us to cruise (Atlanta). After two cruises in two years and one in April 2014, we decided to get a sunpass. It isn't the amount of money for the tolls but there are SO MANY on our drive down it was such a pain to stop each time.

Although I have never seen an unmanned booth in FLA (been driving there at least once a year for 25 years) the electronic version is REALLY nice.
amyh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I go around the house and scrounge up all the quarters afloat everywhere and keep a plastic zippy bag in my cupholder area. You can pay with exact change and skip all the manned lines. Works fine every time. We joked when we went to pick up Twinkiesis from the airport: "Sorry we cant afford to come get you, we can't afford to get off this road." :D
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~

Last edited by TwinPrincessMermaids; 12-19-2013 at 01:42 PM.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

the tolls between MCO and the port is $3 (3 differenntll boths). Grab $4 in change and hit the exact change. Really not bad. They have a cash lane if you forget the change. It will be backed up at certain times of the day. Grab the change and you will be fine.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
the tolls between MCO and the port is $3 (3 differenntll boths). Grab $4 in change and hit the exact change. Really not bad. They have a cash lane if you forget the change. It will be backed up at certain times of the day. Grab the change and you will be fine.
Two tolls, $2.00 cash. You don't pass through the toll plaza right in front of MCO on SR-528 unless you head West towards I-4.

https://www.oocea.com/Portals/0/docs...of%20Tolls.pdf
Old 12-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
nancipants
Mouseketeer

There is a convenience factor to having the E-pass/Sunpass. The toll plazas between the airport and the port now have the special transponder lanes only and the cash lanes off to the side, so you can just speed through without having to slow down at all. It might not be a big deal outside of rush hour travel times, but as an Orlandian I could never go back to not having a Sunpass.
nancipants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancipants View Post
There is a convenience factor to having the E-pass/Sunpass. The toll plazas between the airport and the port now have the special transponder lanes only and the cash lanes off to the side, so you can just speed through without having to slow down at all. It might not be a big deal outside of rush hour travel times, but as an Orlandian I could never go back to not having a Sunpass.
Plus the electronic tolls are cheaper than the cash toll.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancipants View Post
Agree 100%, heck we live in Tennessee & bought Sunpass transponder about 2 years ago. For us it was a good decision, especially since we hit WDW & Port Canaveral a few times a year. Cruising through the Sunpass lane at the tolls does saves time & the aggregation of trying to pick the shortest lane (whatever lane I used to pick would always have some sort delay). Plus we don't have to make sure we have enough correct change for all the tolls.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
erionm
DIS Veteran

As for electronic tolling, the Federal Government has mandated that by 10/1/2016 you must be able to use a single transponder anywhere you travel.

SunPass (and on behalf of EPASS) is working on interoperability agreements with other states. The NC Quick Pass system was the first one to go into effect.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: