Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
carlnlisa
Earning My Ears

Paid in full question

Hen the rest of the 2015 dates are released and we are able to book we are planning/hoping to have it all pain in full with in a month of booking. Is there and advantages or disadvantages to do doing this?

1st disney vacation August-September 2015
carlnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnlisa View Post
Hen the rest of the 2015 dates are released and we are able to book we are planning/hoping to have it all pain in full with in a month of booking. Is there and advantages or disadvantages to do doing this?
Well----- I answered you over on CC.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
carlnlisa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Well----- I answered you over on CC.
Haha yes you did, thought I would post on both just incase

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

There aren't any advantages beyond your own thoughts to paying in full before your PIF date. Once you put down your deposit, your fare is locked in until you move the deposit, cancel or PIF, so all you're really doing is giving several thousand of your dollars to Disney to play with, rather than letting them earn money in your own pocket.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The simple answer is no advantage at all to paying it off before your booking window opens. This is prior to the PIF date, unless you are a first-time cruiser.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnlisa View Post
We always pay in full at the time of booking.
In my account, in Disney's account..doesn't really matter. Sure people say better to keep in your own pocket.

If its in my bank account I have to claim any interest I earn on it the end of the year on my income tax anyways..so it doesn't really save me anything!

I'd rather have it booked and paid and be done with it then have to worry about remembering the final payments date and so forth.
Plus being Canadian I always book when the Canadian $ is high to get the best exchange rate.

Do what you feel is appropriate for your family!
Its exciting to know that a vacation is booked and paid in full far in advance!
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
If its in my bank account I have to claim any interest I earn on it the end of the year on my income tax anyways..so it doesn't really save me anything!
I see you are in Canada. It surprises me that they tax interest income at 100% up there.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

We paid in full right after booking, well in advance of the required date. The only disadvantage for me is that the money paid is not available to me now, no biggie. The advantage is that it is one less liability hanging out there. I hate debt, and an unpaid bill bugs me to no end.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I see you are in Canada. It surprises me that they tax interest income at 100% up there.
I get the trusty T5 Statement of investment income every year.

And its to the penny of what interest we've accumulated in our bank accounts each year.

We do have the ability to open a Tax Free bank account but the deposit limit is $5,500 for 2013. It was $5000 for the past few previous years since it was started. Not a lot of money. Revenue Canada wants every cent then can get!
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
OKW Lover

Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
I get the trusty T5 Statement of investment income every year.

And its to the penny of what interest we've accumulated in our bank accounts each year.

We do have the ability to open a Tax Free bank account but the deposit limit is $5,500 for 2013. It was $5000 for the past few previous years since it was started. Not a lot of money. Revenue Canada wants every cent then can get!
OK, but is the tax on interest 100%? Or is it taxed at your tax bracket of 15-29%?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

??? about this, and I may be wrong, but if you PIF aren't their more penalties if you cancel or change your cruise date?? Like I said, I could be wrong about that so hopefully someone on here would know more, but I always thought it was better to PIF closest to the PIF due date because you have a lot more flexibility in case something arrises in life.

I too hate bills, but I also like to keep my options open. So I do not see a benefit in PIF prior to the date it is due. IMO it isn't a bill until it is due. I would rather have the cash on my end because life has thrown me a few curve balls in the past and I would rather have the ability to change my plans if I need too. That is JMO though.

OP, Do what works for you but make sure there isn't any penalty if you have to change something between now and that PIF due date. Stuff happens, illnesses, death in the family, job changes, so if those unfortunate things do arise, make sure you have the ability to get that money back. Lastly, if you are concierge, know that your deposit is never refundable, so not sure what happens if you PIF on concierge in advance. You can move your deposit however without penalty. Good luck.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
OKW Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
??? about this, and I may be wrong, but if you PIF aren't their more penalties if you cancel or change your cruise date?? Like I said, I could be wrong about that so hopefully someone on here would know more, but I always thought it was better to PIF closest to the PIF due date because you have a lot more flexibility in case something arrises in life.
Penalties are based on the number of days before your cruise and do not depend on when you actually make your payment.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Mommb
Mouseketeer

If you have paid in full but are still before the penalty date (which is at or after the final payment date, except for suites and some special cruises), you can get a full refund if you cancel. It may take a few weeks, but you will get the money back. If you book a suite, the deposit is non-refundable.
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Penalties are based on the number of days before your cruise and do not depend on when you actually make your payment.
Good to know. Thanks.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
carlnlisa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
We paid in full right after booking, well in advance of the required date. The only disadvantage for me is that the money paid is not available to me now, no biggie. The advantage is that it is one less liability hanging out there. I hate debt, and an unpaid bill bugs me to no end.
This is basically why we were going to pay in full ASAP I have OCD and need everything organise and set in stone or I panic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: