Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

New HA Rooms on the Magic

I am on he Magic as we speak and spoke to both the Captain and Hotel Director at the Castaway club meeting yesterday and asked a few questions about the upcoming drydock regarding HA rooms and they are making two further rooms accessible one on deck 8 outside balcony and a further deck 7 inside cat 10 from what they said. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

And hopefully only people with a true need book them versus what we have seen with some folks booking them on opening day of bookings with absolutely no physical need for one. More space, larger balcony and view of the wake isn't a physical need IMHO . Glad the Magic is getting more and hopefully some folks will develop some sort of honesty and integrity ethics
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Poly-Anna
Mouseketeer

Location of deck 8 outside balcony cabin?

Just wondering if you know which cabin # it is, or if it's aft or front of ship? We have a 4E category cabin booked for October 2014 and it would be a bummer if this were the cabin that gets renovated.
Poly-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
And hopefully only people with a true need book them versus what we have seen with some folks booking them on opening day of bookings with absolutely no physical need for one. More space, larger balcony and view of the wake isn't a physical need IMHO . Glad the Magic is getting more and hopefully some folks will develop some sort of honesty and integrity ethics
I Totally agree!
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Quote:
That's why I am not posting the stateroom numbers, I have asked to the director to look at the disability criteria.

Ps the shorts decision was an on shore decision, not wholly supported on board.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
I completely agree

I would ask that people not judge people coming out of handicapped rooms: we booked a *GT rate for our Med cruise and we were assigned a HA room. It was a nice room, but we did not ask for it and would have given it up if someone needed it. Did not experience any judgement, but I was nervous someone might think we had booked that room in particular.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
I completely agree

I would ask that people not judge people coming out of handicapped rooms: we booked a *GT rate for our Med cruise and we were assigned a HA room. It was a nice room, but we did not ask for it and would have given it up if someone needed it. Did not experience any judgement, but I was nervous someone might think we had booked that room in particular.
We have seen that before as well. One couple was assigned a HA room for EBTA who actually called DCL upon finding out (*GT rate) to ask to let someone else use it who needed it. DCL said not necessary and would not move them.

But I have also seen folks book a HA cabin on opening day (over a year in advance) who have never booked a HA cabin before (because they share a list of previous cruises and cabin numbers... none of which were HA). Then when another family asks for a HA cabin who needs it, there is no HA availability. That's what bothers me. (I'm a home based TA and had checked for a family on a particular sailing.)

But your scenario - *GT cabins filled by DCL after PIF date a short time to set sail - is completely different than Joe Blow booking a HA cabin for larger verandah on aft of ship on opening day of bookings.

I was soooo thankful the HA cabin nextdoor to us on our 12-night Med cruise this summer (on NCL) was actually used by a family of 4 with a father who was wheelchair bound. That family could have not traveled otherwise had someone booked that cabin just for the space luxury.
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
smootenloopers
Works to Support Cruise Habit

Quote:
But I have also seen folks book a HA cabin on opening day (over a year in advance) who have never booked a HA cabin before (because they share a list of previous cruises and cabin numbers... none of which were HA).
I'm not disputing that there are self-centered, inconsiderate people who book a HA room when not medically necessary, but just the fact that someone previously sailed in non-HA cabins does not mean that they don't have a legitimate need. Circumstances change.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootenloopers View Post

I'm not disputing that there are self-centered, inconsiderate people who book a HA room when not medically necessary, but just the fact that someone previously sailed in non-HA cabins does not mean that they don't have a legitimate need. Circumstances change.
Very true. As is not all handicaps are obvious, visible or something the party wishes to discuss. Glad they're adding additional HA rooms.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootenloopers View Post

THIS!! Why automatically assume the worst in people?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
THIS!! Why automatically assume the worst in people?
Well the truth be known, there have been people on these boards who have posted they maneuver to get a HA room because of the extra space and that they did not have handicaps. They have flat out said it should be 1st come, 1st served to be able to reserve the HA rooms.

So the fact is there are some people who do take ha rooms when they do not have handicaps!

Kinda sad isn't it?

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

At least on the Dream and Fantasy, remember that there are rooms that were originally stated as HA but failed inspection. They look like HA, they are big but simply can't fit a wheelchair thru the door by a narrow amount.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

Well the truth be known, there have been people on these boards who have posted they maneuver to get a HA room because of the extra space and that they did not have handicaps. They have flat out said it should be 1st come, 1st served to be able to reserve the HA rooms.

So the fact is there are some people who do take ha rooms when they do not have handicaps!

Kinda sad isn't it?

AKK
I understand that, but I was agreeing with a PP who was saying that yes, there are selfish people who will book HA rooms when they don't need them, but there are definite reasons when people who haven't needed one before now do. Just as one random (and NOT specific but general) example... Those who lost limbs in the Boston Marathon bombing may now require HA rooms.

I just don't think it's right to automatically assume that someone who "suddenly" needs one is booking it for the wrong reasons - especially if they never have booked one before.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

It used to be true that if a family were booked into, or placed into an accessible room by DCL via GTY, and they didn't have a medical needs form on file, and someone called NEEDING to book an H/C room, DCL would contact the original passengers (the ones without a need or a form) and work with them to move them, usually it would be an upgrade. But DCL will no longer do that. All they will say now is "All of the accessible rooms are booked." And I think that's disappointing.

Every ship I've been on, I feel, needs more accessible rooms, especially with balconies.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve
At least on the Dream and Fantasy, remember that there are rooms that were originally stated as HA but failed inspection. They look like HA, they are big but simply can't fit a wheelchair thru the door by a narrow amount.
I've not heard that about any rooms on the Dream or Fantasy. I HAVE heard, many times over the years, that the two one bedroom accessible staterooms, far aft, on the Magic and Wonder had problems with the emergency call buttons not being wired properly, and some people felt that therefore, they couldn't/shouldn't be held for someone with needs only...but DCL did hold them anyway. At least they did before they changed the policy and started letting people book H/C rooms online.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: