Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
dizzyinwdw
Mouseketeer

Newbie--never cruised! When should I be planning/booking for DCL next April 2015?

Hi all
A group of us families are thinking of cruising next year. We are 4 couples with 2 kids each, ages 3-10. We thought DCL would be great for us all and are hoping to plan something for next year when our kids have break in April. We are thinking a 3 day stay at WDW followed by a 3 day DCL cruise. Any tips on how far ahead we should be booking for the best deals, etc? Should we use a TA or book on our own? Usually I do the WDW resort planning or rent DVC from a family member; cruise planning is all new to me! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
TIA!!!!
dizzyinwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyinwdw View Post
Hi all
A group of us families are thinking of cruising next year. We are 4 couples with 2 kids each, ages 3-10. We thought DCL would be great for us all and are hoping to plan something for next year when our kids have break in April. We are thinking a 3 day stay at WDW followed by a 3 day DCL cruise. Any tips on how far ahead we should be booking for the best deals, etc? Should we use a TA or book on our own? Usually I do the WDW resort planning or rent DVC from a family member; cruise planning is all new to me! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
TIA!!!!
First, yay that you're thinking about a cruise! I love to cruise, it's so much fun.

For timing in terms of price, I say it doesn't hurt to book as soon as you know. As you get closer the prices can increase, and the cabins available get smaller so you might not has as much choice about what stateroom, on what floor, etc. March and April are spring break times for many people and so those sailings can fill up, even 6-7 months out or more.

In terms of using a TA or not, you'll get differing opinions on that (full disclosure - I am a TA). One positive of a TA, especially for a first-time cruiser, is the knowledge base you have access to; if you select a TA, make sure you ask questions and find out their cruise experience. Also, with a TA the vendor (in this case, Disney Cruise Line) pays the service fees so it doesn't cost you extra. There are things to consider there but I don't want to sound like I am promoting myself so I will stop.

These cruise boards are a GREAT source of information, too. Many experienced cruisers here who can help you with the ins and outs. I am also happy to help with specific questions.

DWGal210 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi all
TIA!!!!
I have already booked our cruise for April of 2015 because the price does nothing but go up especially in April. I use a TA even though I have sailed with DCL a couple of times and do not really require any hand holding. I book with Dreams Unlimited, the sponsor of these boards, for the onboard credit that they offer. I also ended up with a really great agent that is super helpful and very knowledgeable about DCL and WDW because she frequents both.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
orion2185
Mouseketeer

to TA or not to TA - that is the question.

that's really something that's a personal choice.

However, we can share our thoughts and experience so far...as we are still in the planing stages of cruise.

Also we should note that we are not employed by...nor do we have type of relationship with Dreams Unlimited Travel (sponsor of the boards) and we are not paid by them nor compensated by them in anyway.

We are looking to cruise with a large group of our friends and family - on a 2015 DCL cruise. Have cruised in the past on other ships and have always wanted to do a Disney cruise.

We are also fans of the weekly Dis Unplugged podcast that the owners of this forum and Dreams Unlimited Travel put out each week. Of course, each show starts with a small plug for Dreams Unlimited Travel (it's how they make money)
and I guess listing to that plug week after week- paid off for us.

As when we decided we want to do this group cruise...we contacted Dreams Unlimited travel to see what they can do for us.
Sadly Disney no longer has a group department nor offer any incentives or discounts for groups (as they did in the past). The agent we were working with is very friendly and is very quick to reply to our emails and questions.

Needless to say when booking a large group there are many issues and variables to work with. Our agent was beyond words - the amount of information, advice, and plan right helpful (and money savings) tips she gave us..was insane. I just can't see not using Dreams Unlimited Travel for this trip and any other future trips - where they can be of use.

We have never used a Travel Agent in our lives. We personally never saw the point in them. As we are very tech savvy and can do any/all of the details on our own...without a shadow of a doubt.

we have traveled to 80 countries and by nature of what we do for a living (entertainment) have be lucky enough to travel around the world. Touring with a live stage show, with a cast of dozens of people, sea containers full of tons of equipment...needless to say this is/can be a logistical nightmare to work out the details.
However, we have always made these arrangements on our own.

The above is not meant to brag about our travels...but to show you the depth of experience we have at plaining and booking trips.

With that in mind...what the TAs at Dreams U. has brought to the table thus far..and the customer service Dreams offers...I don't think that we would think twice about using a TA for any/all future trips.

Again we can do all the details and bookings. But can honestly say that our TA has brought more to the table in knowledge, advice, and tips then we could ever work out on our own.

We simply could not recommend using a travel agent enough. Even if you are able to/use to booking all elements of your trip- on your own.

even more specific we highly recommend Dreams Unlimited Travel- their customer service is amazing. You simply don't see any companies with this level of customer service anymore.

In addition, Dreams Unlimited offers a on board credit for booking a cruise with them. Even if you don't need the full on services of a TA...why would you not want to take advantage of some extra spending money? All for just booking your cruise thru them.
We should stress (that it's our knowledge) that DU travel offers the OBC as a thank you for booking with them. This is out of their pocket and not money from Disney. Sure they make money from Disney for booking a holiday with them.
But it's a nice gesture that DU travel would extend this OBC credit to you. They don't have to do it...but they do!

Again it's your own choice to use a TA or not to.
But if you did use a TA...you might be blown away at the experience- like we are.

Just our two cents.

EDIT- should note we wrote this on our iPad/dis mobile app
so PLese excuse our TyPoS
orion2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
dpswift
DIS Veteran

f you are looking at Easter week I would book as soon as possible. You can move it if needed but the price is going to go up. Also if you want cabins near each other or early dining the best selection is now.

We are booked on the four day that leaves on the April 6 2015 and I am surprised but the amount of cabins already taken.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Any tips on how far ahead we should be booking for the best deals, etc? ...
Bookings opened 11/12/13 for that time. Prices have already gone up since it is spring break for many districts. Book ASAP to secure the best price possible for you. Don't expect any deals during peak weeks. You can check www.cruisefish.net to see how much they have increased if you are curious.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: