Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
junebugTN
Mouseketeer

The night before the cruise

I am weighing the pros and cons for the hotel stay on our next trip, and I feel like there are probably some factors I hadn't thought of.

Last cruise, our flight was a late one so we stayed at the Hyatt MCO the night before. It was really convenient, and we got to the port nice and early. This time, we'll be arriving much earlier in the day. Seems like for about the same price (or less) we could take Magical Express over to a Disney resort instead.

Since we're paying for Disney port transportation anyway, that part of the price wouldn't change. We could just hang out at the resort in the morning before catching our transfer versus hanging out at the port waiting to board.

What's been your experience? I think we'd have more fun hanging at WDW versus people-watching at MCO, even if we didn't head to a park. And I'm thinking those pirate rooms at Caribbean Beach would be fun - and keeping with the cruise theme. :D What would you do - stay overnight at the airport or at a resort?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebugTN View Post
I am weighing the pros and cons for the hotel stay on our next trip, and I feel like there are probably some factors I hadn't thought of.

Last cruise, our flight was a late one so we stayed at the Hyatt MCO the night before. It was really convenient, and we got to the port nice and early. This time, we'll be arriving much earlier in the day. Seems like for about the same price (or less) we could take Magical Express over to a Disney resort instead.

Since we're paying for Disney port transportation anyway, that part of the price wouldn't change. We could just hang out at the resort in the morning before catching our transfer versus hanging out at the port waiting to board.

What's been your experience? I think we'd have more fun hanging at WDW versus people-watching at MCO, even if we didn't head to a park. And I'm thinking those pirate rooms at Caribbean Beach would be fun - and keeping with the cruise theme. :D What would you do - stay overnight at the airport or at a resort?
A lot depends when your flight in is.

If it's morning I say do WDW if it's late afternoon or evening then Hyatt.

It's down to how much you can squeeze in, WDW park hours at that time, early entry and what you want to see, Monorail resorts are good for MK and Beach club for Epcot, these allow you max time in the parks and you know exactly what time you need to get back to catch the DCL coach.

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
bliscum
Mouseketeer

I did AKL once and was great. Went to park and did expedition Everest 3 times then back to pick up bus to port.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

We stayed at BLT last time, did the fireworks from resort and character dinner night before, worked out great
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
glindamood
DIS Veteran

ME makes it so easy to head over to a resort. DTD, watching the fireworks, some pool time, there is a lot that can be done without heading into a park. The only possible downside is that the buses from the resorts don't get in until early afternoon but if that is OK with you - it works perfectly.

glindamood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Weedy
DIS Veteran

How long is your cruise? For a 3 day I would want to get on the ship as soon as possible (it goes so fast). If you are on a 7 day you will have more ship time so maybe a later port arrival would work.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I like spending the day at a WDW resort! We are DVC members, so we go to TOWL to see fireworks.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
junebugTN
Mouseketeer

Thank you!

Many thanks for all the replies. I was worried that we might feel like we were trying to cram too much into the day before the cruise, but it sounds like it could be a fun way to kick off the trip. It is going to be a shorter cruise though, so I appreciated the mentions about getting to the port later from WDW versus MCO, too.

I think we've decided to go ahead and head to a resort that afternoon. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me...and happy 2014!
June
Old 01-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
ludari
DIS Veteran

I usually fly out a night or two before the cruise just to avoid any potential flight delays due to weather, mechanical, etc. However, I have in the past flown in on the day of the cruise to save $$ but only under the condition that I catch the first flight out and they are multiple flights that same day that could be me to my destination in time for me to make it to the ship if something should happen to my first flight.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
angela1044
Mouseketeer

I'd go to WDW. The pirate beds are awesome but even staying at a value resort is great. You could hang out at the pool or go to downtown Disney or see if you could tickets to the hoop-de-doo, or the ....too many ideas to list.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
ppony
Artist in residence

I can't spend all that $ to get there and not soak up every Disney moment I can. At the very least, you can stay at a WDW resort and go to DTD. I wouldn't want to buy a 1 day park ticket unless I was buying one w/ more days that I could use after the cruise too. But you do what you need to do. Soak up the Disney!

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
junebugTN
Mouseketeer

Ooh, more great tips. Thank you ludari, ppony and angela1044. Right after reading your posts this morning, I got a Disney Visa discount on rooms in my email, so I took it as a good sign and booked the room!

I was really glad to hear the pirate beds are as cool as they looked in the pictures, too. What better way to spend the night before a cruise than sleeping in a pirate bed, right? Many, many thanks to all for helping me make this decision. I think it's going to make the trip even more magical!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 AM   #13
The Sasquatch
Mouseketeer

I would agree with most, we fly in early and leave a day or two later to spend time at WDW. It's a short drive and with a 3 night you can have the best of both worlds and get a weeks vacation
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't want to stay near MCO unless we were arriving after 6 or 7 pm.
For our 1st Disney cruise in 2007, we had a 10 am flight and stayed near MCO and our kids were so bored. We looked into a taxi to WDW since we had non-exp tickets with us. It was over $50 + tip each way so we stayed at the hotel and just walked around.
Now we know better.

The next time we had a 3pm arrival which is not a lot of time but we did rent a car & visit the "ICE!" show at the Gaylord Palms hotel. (awesome!!)
In March we have a 9:30am arrival so we're staying at BCV and just relaxing/exploring the resort which we rarely have time for when visiting parks.
Just being in WDW is fun; we don't necessarily need a park visit.

Character meals & exploring resorts are great ways to have fun & pass some time Disney style.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: