Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Cruise Capacity

Is there anywhere to check to see what capacity our cruise is current at and to watch it as the date draws closer?

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post
Is there anywhere to check to see what capacity our cruise is current at and to watch it as the date draws closer?
Don't think so.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Try to book on the DCL site using different ages/pax #'s for that particular date. That's about the best gauge out there to determine capacity. IMO. It doesn't always work well, especially peak season, as I swear DCL plays with the inventory purposely to escalate prices online.

Of course this tactic is useless for the 3 and 4 day Dream (and other ships potentially) at the end of the booking window (YTD/actually it's now 4/2015) IYKWIM. There are a lot of dummy OBB's stacked up, waiting to be assigned to future, unreleased dates.

Of course DCL is doing a great job of tweaking their rules so we all cancel said OBBs. So that should free up space on those specific latest dates, but folks still debate whether the price tier will drop. I'll guess NOT, considering DCL's tactics/plans lately. DCL's plan is higher, higher $, and less and less bennies. Get use to it. At least until we all sail other lines. Then perhaps we will see some adjustment.

OK, I admit, that was a slight rant, but.... I feel better now.

HTH
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
KathleenlovesMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Try to book on the DCL site using different ages/pax #'s for that particular date. That's about the best gauge out there to determine capacity. IMO. It doesn't always work well, especially peak season, as I swear DCL plays with the inventory purposely to escalate prices online.

Of course this tactic is useless for the 3 and 4 day Dream (and other ships potentially) at the end of the booking window (YTD/actually it's now 4/2015) IYKWIM. There are a lot of dummy OBB's stacked up, waiting to be assigned to future, unreleased dates.

Of course DCL is doing a great job of tweaking their rules so we all cancel said OBBs. So that should free up space on those specific latest dates, but folks still debate whether the price tier will drop. I'll guess NOT, considering DCL's tactics/plans lately. DCL's plan is higher, higher $, and less and less bennies. Get use to it. At least until we all sail other lines. Then perhaps we will see some adjustment.

OK, I admit, that was a slight rant, but.... I feel better now.

HTH
I understand your rant. unfortunately not enough of us will cancel or not go on a Disney cruise to make a difference. It is very frustrating I wish we all would cancel just so they would not do this. All Disney parks etc so do the same thing we all keep just shelling out the money and they keep raking it in! At least my experiences have all been good so its a bit harder to complain. The thing is Disney would still make a ton of money even if they kept there old OBB terms and not keep raising the prices.
Cruise the Magic Oct 11 2014
B2B cruise from San Juan to Port Canaveral Oct 2014
Cruise on Fantasy March 1 2014
Became Premier Pass owners Oct 2013
WDW October 2013
WDW May 2013
Disney Cruise 4/12/08
WDW 4/19-28/08
Disneyland to many times to count
KathleenlovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenlovesMickey View Post
I understand your rant. unfortunately not enough of us will cancel or not go on a Disney cruise to make a difference. It is very frustrating I wish we all would cancel just so they would not do this. All Disney parks etc so do the same thing we all keep just shelling out the money and they keep raking it in! At least my experiences have all been good so its a bit harder to complain. The thing is Disney would still make a ton of money even if they kept there old OBB terms and not keep raising the prices.
I think the tides will turn in the next year or so. The reason so many people are return cruisers is because they're able to take advantage of deals that make DCL within reach. Everyone has a fine line in the sand. With the lack of a 24 month window to allow for moving dummy dates and now blackout dates which cause the loss of another 10%- I think there will be fewer rebooked and fewer repeats. For my family that is more than $2,000 extra and well, they're not giving me $2,000 more entertainment.

There are a lot of people who will have their lines crossed in the next couple years. Before someone flames me and says I just can't afford DCL and should look elsewhere, I assure you, I can - but we've approached my line.

In addition, the hike in prices will price out many new families of cruisers - who may never have the chance to become repeats. It's a shame and I'm sad already - I took a new part-time job for the sole purpose of taking my family on Disney cruises. I may have to give those dollars elsewhere in the future.
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
I think the tides will turn in the next year or so. The reason so many people are return cruisers is because they're able to take advantage of deals that make DCL within reach. Everyone has a fine line in the sand. With the lack of a 24 month window to allow for moving dummy dates and now blackout dates which cause the loss of another 10%- I think there will be fewer rebooked and fewer repeats. For my family that is more than $2,000 extra and well, they're not giving me $2,000 more entertainment.

There are a lot of people who will have their lines crossed in the next couple years. Before someone flames me and says I just can't afford DCL and should look elsewhere, I assure you, I can - but we've approached my line.

In addition, the hike in prices will price out many new families of cruisers - who may never have the chance to become repeats. It's a shame and I'm sad already - I took a new part-time job for the sole purpose of taking my family on Disney cruises. I may have to give those dollars elsewhere in the future.
The above "rants" are off topic ; however, I will chime in to remind you that Disney charges what the market will bear. So, you're right, if people refuse to pay their prices, Disney will adjust prices accordingly. However, if ships (or categories on ships) continue to sell well, prices will rise.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
ranidayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
The above "rants" are off topic ; however, I will chime in to remind you that Disney charges what the market will bear. So, you're right, if people refuse to pay their prices, Disney will adjust prices accordingly. However, if ships (or categories on ships) continue to sell well, prices will rise. Mike
This was not a rant in any way. This thread is about cruise capacity and that led to why ships sometimes seem to be full and that led to people continuing to pay the prices which led to my hypothesis as to why they may not in upcoming years. It all still relates to capacity
Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

OP here. I appreciate your feedback and it really does help.

Unfortunately this may be our one and possibly only Disney cruise. I've saved for 7 years to be able to take my DD on this cruise, since before she was even born! We are staying in the least expensive accommodations there are so the increased prices and changes to OBB will probably mean this will be it for us....or at least for a very long time.

Oh well, we're going to have a great time and enjoy every minute of this cruise!! I've kept it a secret from my DD for almost a year but am pretty sure I'm going to tell her this Sunday! She's going to be SO excited!!

Thanks again for all your feedback. So far there seems to be room to book in most/all categories so hopefully that means our cruise will not be totally packed. And if it is....we'll have a blast anyway!!

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
BenbowInn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post

Have prices really gone up that much? We've cruised before but never with Disney. We are booked for the Fantasy in December and I've been price watching for years and its the same price range (less than $100 more total) that I've been eyeballing for the past 4 years.

Honest question not trying to start a debate but I haven't noticed a price increase and believe me, I price out Disney cruises all the time going back about 4 years now. Of course we usually only schedule vacation between the months September-December which is always low season for everywhere we go, so those are the only months I've looked at.

As far as extras being more, maybe that's the case. Unfortunately for Disney our only onward expenses will be tips. We are cheap cruisers and have never felt the need to buy anything extra on any cruise line.
BenbowInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenbowInn View Post
... Honest question not trying to start a debate but I haven't noticed a price increase and believe me, I price out Disney cruises all the time going back about 4 years now. Of course we usually only schedule vacation between the months September-December which is always low season for everywhere we go, so those are the only months I've looked at. ...
The base (opening day) fares have been considerably higher in at least the past 2-3 years. Fares for a specific cruise date haven't necessarily increased from opening day, though much of that does depend on the time of year. Could be fall cruises haven't increased much, but I know the fares for the times of year I watch (Feb, April and summer) have been higher each year when new itineraries are released.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenbowInn View Post
Have prices really gone up that much? ....
If you can only cruise during peak times, then yes they have gone up considerably. Our 2013 pre-Easter cruise was $6100 and the 2015 price is around $8800 in the same room.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
ranidayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
If you can only cruise during peak times, then yes they have gone up considerably. Our 2013 pre-Easter cruise was $6100 and the 2015 price is around $8800 in the same room.
I also remember a time when I could get two ocean view rooms for less than one family ocean view room. That ended about two years ago.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
WikiWiki
Mouseketeer

Well as far as obb, I just can't take a cruise every year, so an 18 month window for obb makes it impossible for me. I'm a teacher, for the most part I have to sail in the summer, but I cruised last month and was totally planning on doing an obb for an eventual 2015 Alaskan, but the rule change stopped me from doing it. Now I may or may not take that cruise- if I have to wait until this summer to book the thing maybe my mind or circumstances will have changed. From disney's perspective, they changed a guaranteed customer into a potential one.
WikiWiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: