Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
mm6mm6
DIS Veteran & Disney Nut
Right now, I enjoy going back each year and riding it again

First Disney Cruise - Dream June 2014! Any tips?

As you can see from my signature, we're Disnuts since 2002! We took our first family vacation then with our 5 year old daughter as the "All American drive from Illinois down to Florida" classic summer vacation.

And we loved it! So much that we went back to WDW again and again and again!

My wife and I had our honeymoon cruise on Royal Caribbean back in 1995. We have since cruised with our daughter on Carnival four times (Bahamas once and the Caribbean thrice) and on Norwegian once (to Alaska...amazing!).

We're rather experienced cruisers and we really enjoy being on the ship's top deck by the pool. We love to relax, swim, sun, read, and stare at the deep blue sea. We enjoy all the shipboard activities, we eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner on board.

The price of the Disney cruises has been our biggest obstacle in the past. It was difficult to rationalize a 4 night Disney cruise over a 7 night Carnival cruise. We have really enjoyed Carnival and Norwegian and we're very laid back. We just go with the flow. We pretty much never have any drama in our lives. Almost nothing phases us.

We're super excited to go on the Dream because we are Disney-philes and we have saved up a little over $1700 on our Disney VISA Rewards card to help pay for this trip.

We've been to Nassau before so our plan is to pretty much just stay on the ship and enjoy what it has to offer while everyone else is (hopefully) off enjoying Nassau.

We're looking forward to the day at sea as well, but we're really thrilled to finally get to see Castaway Cay.

On our other cruises, we've always enjoyed the "beach breaks." Usually the least expensive excursions where we were taken by a small bus to a gorgeous beach. We love to snorkel (we could do this all day!) and we always bring a disposable underwater camera. We like to rent kayaks and just paddle in the water.

Yep, we're super excited about Castaway Cay! Sounds like it will be right up our alley and with the Disney characters and theming, my camera will use up lots of space on the memory card!

I've already printed out and laminated Mickey Captain ears for our stateroom door. We're on Deck 9, starboard, two rooms from the stern in #9666. We wanted to be near the top so we wouldn't have to take the elevator all the time to head up to the pool area. We don't get seasick and we had a stern room on Carnival that I loved once, but the prop/wake noise was a little bit loud when relaxing on the balcony.

So any tips, tricks, or "must do's" you can all tell us about as first time Disney cruisers looking to max out on our trip?

We're ready to hear from the Disboarders who have always been such a help in the past!

-Steve

2014 - Disney Dream 4 Night Cruise /Port Orleans FQ
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2011 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
2009 - Carnival cruise out of Tampa, but after, we drove to WDW and spent a full day at Magic Kingdom.
2008 - Coronado Springs Resort/Disney's Vero Beach
2007 - Wife Earning her Masters Degree/No Vacation-
2006 - All Star Movies/Royal Pacific Resort (Universal)/Disney's Vero Beach
2005 - Port Orleans Riverside/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Disney's Vero Beach
2004 - Royal Pacific Resort (Universal)/Disney's Vero Beach
2003 - Coronado Springs Resort/Disney's Vero Beach
2002 - Caribbean Beach Resort
mm6mm6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: