Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Kayleigh1986
Earning My Ears

First time WDW planning! Help!

Hi all,

We went to Paris last Christmas and are going next Christmas but I've found myself in a different financial position (for the better) and want to start thinking about WDW. If there were a few of us going, is it better to book a villa? I like this idea rather than a hotel. Where do I start? I would be looking at 2015 possibly 2016 so not immediately but just wanted some guidance. Can you buy tickets desperately without having to book a Disney hotel? I would be looking at hiring a car and driving whilst I'm there and staying for just over 2 weeks
Kayleigh1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
WiganTony
DIS Veteran

Hi,

I would have a look at the various villas available now through letting agencies (e.g. Owners Abroad to name just one) and the various UK travel companies to get an idea of what is available, and which locations you may want to consider. However, bear in mind that villas can get sold and/or taken off the rental market, so keep a few options in mind.

You can certainly book Disney tickets without staying on-site from a number of retailers in the UK, including Disney themselves.

There are also a number of travel agents who will pull together a "tailor made" package for you covering flights, villa and car rental.

However, bear in mind that the parks will be extremely busy over the Christmas period and you may not get to do many rides/attractions but spend a considerable amount of time queuing.

Hopefully others will be along to post some further suggestions for you.

HTH.

2014 July/August - RPR and OKW - again!!
2013 July/August - NY, LA and San Diego
2012 August - OKW
2011 August - No Disney NY and Boston
2010 July/August - RPR and OKW
2009 Easter - Springhill Suites LBV & Cruise
2008 August - Marriott Residence Seaworld.
2007 August - CBR/Marriott Clearwater/Springhill Suites LBV
2005 August - Comfort Suites Kissimmee
Longer than I care to remember - 3 lads and their car touring Florida!!
WiganTony is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
pickers1982
DIS Veteran

Personally I d say if you can afford it staying on site is great for a number of reasons such as the below to name but a few

Less travelling time
No parking charges
Extra park hours
Sometimes get free food
Transportation offered

That said villas can be very good too!!!!
pickers1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
juliebro
Has been visited
Has been known to use cable ties

I would suggest you buy the Brit's Guide to Orlando and Walt Disney world. It's a brilliant book with lots of hints and tips.
Apr 2009 - Emerald Island, Hard Rock Hotel, Apr 2010 - Emerald Island, Apr 2011 - Emerald Island
Apr 2012 - Emerald Island, Apr 2013 - Emerald Island, Apr 2014 - Emerald Island
juliebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
queendisney
DIS Veteran

I would also suggest that you maybe subscribe to something like Touring Plans. It only costs a few pounds and will give you tips on how to plan and tell you the busy days for each park, which one to avoid which one is best etc. Obviously go through the attractions in each park and decide what ones you really want to do because its so busy when you are planning on going you are unlikely to do all of them. Also they will have Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party at MK which is a separate ticket price and I would get that in your diary to book as soon as they release dates if you want to do it.

Hotel/Villa onsite/off site. Very personal choice that one...Personally I will only stay on resort for reasons that Pickers1982 said amongst others, especially because you are planning on going over Christmas and you will be able to take advantage of those extra magic hours. You could look into renting DVC points (there is a forum for that on here) and going for a Villa on site. Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are very popular with people on here.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
ukool
Mouseketeer

We have stayed off site and on site, i prefer on site as its easier to get around the parks and disney buses are the best way to get around, however i would rent a car if your planing on visiting other parks / attractions outside of disney as its much easier then public transport and taxis.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

We went to WDW in October 2012, after being to DLP twice. I needed someone to hold my hand through the whole booking process and I can't recommend Val Ramsay highly enough. She is a travel counsellor and booked EVERYTHING for me, including meal reservations! She advertises on The Dibb as Cinders Mum.

The Dis has also been an invaluable source of advice and tips. After a lot of advice on here, we booked to stay on-site and had the best holiday we could have hoped for. It was so good, we are hoping to book the exact same package for August 2015
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: