Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
gavvy
DIS Veteran

Virgin Atlantic to charge £25 for a seat request from April

Hi

Its on v-flyer and pprune that Virgin will start to charge £25 for a seat request for all new bookings from April.

BA have charged for a while and considering Virgins losses last year seems almost a given this was going to happen.
gavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
Hi Its on v-flyer and pprune that Virgin will start to charge £25 for a seat request for all new bookings from April. BA have charged for a while and considering Virgins losses last year seems almost a given this was going to happen.
I would happily pay this if they will allow people to book seats at the time of booking instead of having to wait until 90 days which I think is most unfair on people who pay for their flights 11 months out.

Last edited by Minniesgal; 12-15-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Samaya
DIS Veteran

If it's still a seat request and not a seat reservation then it's not like they're adding an extra service, just charging for what was always built into the price, wonder what's next, food and drink.

And £25 seems over the top especially for families who should be seated together, flying Virgin is getting so expensive and that could add an extra £200 on a round trip for a family of four.

I wonder how many families would take a chance and wait until 24-hours before and hope to get all seats together or even wait to check in as there's a regulation that every effort should be made to place families together, so could that mean moving those who've paid for seat request/reservations?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
LeaversOnTour
Mouseketeer

We have flown with Virgin about a dozen times, We never check in ahead of time, and never reserve seats.

We have ALWAYS been sat together.

They will never purposely seat parties apart, esp those with kids. We cant prebook as we have a skycot booked and they have to allocate these at the airport as they are bulk head seats.

October 2005 - International Drive
November 2006 International Drive
October 2007 - International Drive
November 2008 - Our Honeymoon Port Oleans Riverside/I-Drive/Animal Kingdom Lodge
December 2009 Old Key west/Idrive Our DD's first trip (9 months old)3 weeks of bliss
January 2011 Old Key west/Idrive Our Other DD's first trip (just 3 months old) 4 weeks of bliss
January 2012 I-Drive/Old Key west 4 Weeks of bliss
January 2013 I Drive/Old Key west - Just us and the kids, DD Number 3's first trip 4 weeks of family fun
LeaversOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaversOnTour View Post
We have flown with Virgin about a dozen times, We never check in ahead of time, and never reserve seats. We have ALWAYS been sat together. They will never purposely seat parties apart, esp those with kids. We cant prebook as we have a skycot booked and they have to allocate these at the airport as they are bulk head seats.
I know a family of 6 who were forced to upgrade to premium economy as when they went to check in they were split all over the plane and virgin refused to fix it. They have three children under 10.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaversOnTour View Post
We have flown with Virgin about a dozen times, We never check in ahead of time, and never reserve seats. We have ALWAYS been sat together. They will never purposely seat parties apart, esp those with kids. We cant prebook as we have a skycot booked and they have to allocate these at the airport as they are bulk head seats.

This was us until our last trip. On our flight home in October they had opted to give us a skycot despite us specifically saying we didn't want one. We were given 2 of the bulkhead seats next to the skycot (we were in PE so there are only 2 seats next to it anyway) and our 3year old was given a seat on her own 2 rows back. My parents were on the same booking as us were given 2 seats over the other side of the plane.

The rest of PE was already allocated but luckily a Virgin supervisor was able to ask some passengers to swap seats to allow us to be sat close together.

I guess Virgins seating system was always going to be brought inline with everyone else's eventually.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
luckylass
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I know a family of 6 who were forced to upgrade to premium economy as when they went to check in they were split all over the plane and virgin refused to fix it. They have three children under 10.

I know someone who had this happen and just let the kids make a right rumpus,shouting up the plane , soon sorted.lol
luckylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
sandshal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurafoster View Post

This was us until our last trip. On our flight home in October they had opted to give us a skycot despite us specifically saying we didn't want one. We were given 2 of the bulkhead seats next to the skycot (we were in PE so there are only 2 seats next to it anyway) and our 3year old was given a seat on her own 2 rows back. My parents were on the same booking as us were given 2 seats over the other side of the plane.

The rest of PE was already allocated but luckily a Virgin supervisor was able to ask some passengers to swap seats to allow us to be sat close together.

I guess Virgins seating system was always going to be brought inline with everyone else's eventually.
So definitely not worth paying extra for ...... Virgin, if you're stripping back privileges, strip back the price too!
Offsite Disneyland Paris 1998, Davy Crockett Ranch, Disneyland Paris 2000, Sheraton Vistana Villages, Florida June 2003, Newport Bay Hotel, Disneyland Paris 2004, Manors North, Westridge 2006, Vistana Villages, Gulf Coast & HRH Oct 2007, Manors North, Westridge, Portofino Bay & HRH August 2008, Ginn Reunion & RPR August 2009, RCA NYC & Tuscany villa July 2011, Tuscany Villa & PBH July 2013, July/Aug 2014 NYC, Indian Creek Villa, HRH then back to NYC,
Oct 2014 week at Indian Oasis, Indian Creek

sandshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Trevski220
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
Hi Its on v-flyer and pprune that Virgin will start to charge £25 for a seat request for all new bookings from April. BA have charged for a while and considering Virgins losses last year seems almost a given this was going to happen.
Worth noting that it is on Vflyer as a Rumour not a statement of fact which is how it is written on here, Virgin haven't confirmed this will happen (though it does seem very likely, and won't come as a surprise)
Trevski220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurafoster View Post
It's a UK carrier thing. AA, Delta, Air Canada etc let you choose your seats for free at the time of booking.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
gavvy
DIS Veteran

It is a rumour- should have made that clear, however V-flyer have lots of people "in the know" so it does seem likely to happen.

Assuming its £25 per sector that,s an extra £200 per holiday for a family of 4. Or almost the cost of a Disney Park hopper! Virgin's chief exc was banging on about APD last week and how expensive it is, seem's its ok to charge for silly things if it goes into their pocket but not if it goes to the government!

Maybe they should change their "Flying in the face of ordinary" tag line, seems they are doing everything they can to be like the rest these days!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
flortlebap
Disneyiac!

VA already charge completely over inflated prices - adding an additional £25 to request a seat is disgusting, IMO.

You expect it from a budget airline - not from VA.

I sincerely hope this rumour isn't realised as I would be one very unhappy camper - to pay £150 EACH WAY for our family still to risk not being seated together?! No thanks...
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC

Last edited by flortlebap; 12-15-2013 at 07:52 AM.
flortlebap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
penlanspice
Addicted 2 disney

I suppose it's only a matter of time before they do this either way, same as when they changed the luggage allowance, BA did it and VA followed.

Our Dream Disney Wedding - September 19th 2006
WP-WH Room-Living seas - UK Lower
penlanspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
gavvy
DIS Veteran

If I fly Virgin, I always book exit row seats, if I can book these online then this may actually work to my advantage, the problem is as exit rows seats are now not much less than a standard seat its probably likely that these and the extra leg room row seats will rise in price.

Apparently Virgin are confirming on Facebook that there will be an update to their seating policy on Monday- so all but confirmed now.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I would never pay to prebook (reserve) seats, even if those seats were guaranteed. Certainly not that hefty amount anyway.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: