Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #106
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I agree, this is the impression I have gotten too. But anything could change, as you said.

I still can't wrap my brain around what the point of this test is (offsite making day-of FP+ res) if prebooking is the final goal. Why not just test that? Is there something I am missing here?
That would have required off-site guests to sign up for MDE accounts, buy and link tickets early, AND...
agree to only be able to use it at DAK on those dates.

I see THIS next week event as a test of using only the FP+ kiosks to schedule multiple (up to 3) FP choices on day-of.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #107
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Quote:
I agree, this is the impression I have gotten too. But anything could change, as you said.

I still can't wrap my brain around what the point of this test is (offsite making day-of FP+ res) if prebooking is the final goal. Why not just test that? Is there something I am missing here?
I'm still trying to figure out how off-site, non-AP will be able to pre-book. If Disney's goal in to lock people in ahead of time they would need to provide MDE access, wouldn't they? Are they going to offer some sort of time-delimited ticket, offer MB's for purchase that are good for a certain time period....? I don't know. It will be interesting to see how/if they might implement pre-booking to off-site.

clsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #108
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how off-site, non-AP will be able to pre-book. If Disney's goal in to lock people in ahead of time they would need to provide MDE access, wouldn't they? Are they going to offer some sort of time-delimited ticket, offer MB's for purchase that are good for a certain time period....? I don't know. It will be interesting to see how/if they might implement pre-booking to off-site.
I see it the same way as ADRs are done now. You get an MDE account. In this case for FP, you link a valid ticket. Then you can book 60 days out (or whatever the number is).

I don't think the MBs matter as much because the tickets have the same functionality.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #109
ckelly14
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
For this test, it makes sense that they have to pick families in the park because how else will Disney know when an offsite person will be taking a trip? That's what I have never been able to guess about the future of this system: Without a resort reservation, how will the Disney system know you're allowed to make FP+ reservations? I guess it could be like ADRs where offsite guests are allowed to make those reservations 60 days out from each day they want reservations.
I'm not sure I really understand the issue. You have a ticket, put the reservation number, make reservations in MDE (restricted to exactly 60 days out, not 60 days plus) and show up at the park. You only have a number of days of FP+ equal to the number of days on the ticket. You don't have to worry about people "walking up" their reservation if it only opens each day at 60 days. On site will have the ability to book their whole trip at 60 days, so they would have an advantage.
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #110
Robo

Restating the obvious, but day-of/off-site guests will (for the most part) not have a DME account
to which to link FP+ attractions and times.

They will (for the most part) only have their INDIVIDUAL park tickets with RFID chips.
(Some kind of "multiple grouping" would have to come into play at the FP+ kiosks, so that all
of the members of a group could get the same FP+ attraction reservations, and
all of the tickets of that group would turn the Mickey head scanner GREEN at the FP entrance.)

So, once an attraction and time (up to 3 choices) has been determined at the FP+ kiosk,
there will need to be some kind of "hard copy" of the choices and times given to the guest(s.)

Otherwise, how will they remember their attractions and return times?

Last edited by Robo; 12-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #111
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
I'm not sure I really understand the issue. You have a ticket, put the reservation number, make reservations in MDE (restricted to exactly 60 days out, not 60 days plus) and show up at the park. You only have a number of days of FP+ equal to the number of days on the ticket. You don't have to worry about people "walking up" their reservation if it only opens each day at 60 days. On site will have the ability to book their whole trip at 60 days, so they would have an advantage.
Right, this too. Just like ADRs now.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #112
Liz Z
Mouseketeer

Ok~~~ We are leaving in a couple of hours make the looooonnnng drive down.

Am I understanding or really not understanding that legacy FP will still be up and running on Monday the 16th at DAK. Or do we go to some kiosk to make FP+ choices.

We are staying off site(as we always do) and were just down in October and waited the hour in the standby line for Toystory and Soaring. Our return for FP- for these was about an 8 hour return time. So we decided to just go stand by.
So my question is~~~~~ will I be able to pull FP- with my AP??? at any of the parks. Or will we be able to pull FP+ on our 1st day @ AK.
This is such a sad state of affairs

Thanks for your help.

Liz Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #113
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I can only assume it is to stop all people double dipping, therefore it will be a slightly better idea on how well the system works when people can't get more than 3 FP's.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #114
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see it the same way as ADRs are done now. You get an MDE account. In this case for FP, you link a valid ticket. Then you can book 60 days out (or whatever the number is).

I don't think the MBs matter as much because the tickets have the same functionality.
Anyone can sign up for an MDE account. You don't have to be staying onsite to have a MDE account. You can link family members and tickets and ADR's but that's it so far. So the possibility of offsite visitors pre-booking could totally happen. This buys into the premise that if you have a ticket in whatever form, you can link them online and pre-book FP+. Glad I'm not going to the parks next year. I just want to get through Christmas and I'll be happy to move on my merry little way.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #115
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Except ADR's just allow the onsite visitor a slight advantage. I see nothing good about trying to make FP+ choices the morning of visit along with 1000's of other visitors.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #116
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Z View Post

Am I understanding or really not understanding that legacy FP will still be up and running on Monday the 16th at DAK. Or do we go to some kiosk to make FP+ choices.

We are staying off site(as we always do) and were just down in October and waited the hour in the standby line for Toystory and Soaring. Our return for FP- for these was about an 8 hour return time. So we decided to just go stand by.
So my question is~~~~~ will I be able to pull FP- with my AP??? at any of the parks. Or will we be able to pull FP+ on our 1st day @ AK.

Thanks for your help.
The way I read it, the test doesn't start until Wednesday, so the old FP machines will still be available to you on Monday (and me on Tuesday).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #117
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Z View Post

Thanks for your help.
If the article is accurate you should still be able to get FP- at AK on the 16th. Supposedly this will start on the 18th. We are flying down today and I just shifted our AK day to the 17th for this very reason.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #118
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

I am ready for the end product. I know parts of the testing have been less than enticing for many of us, since we are use to a certain way of touring, but it's time to wrap up this test and see what pops out of the hat...maybe it will be a cute little bunny.

It is possible that in the end all our suggestions in surveys will be taken into consideration and more FP+ will be available(maybe 3 pre arranged and more day of options), tiering will magically disappear(this idea could be due to the FP- issue for off site guests having no availability and resolves when they are able to use FP+), and hopping will be possible(it doesn't make sense not to add it in, or Disney will loss $$). Think about it, it's logical, right???....A girl can dream, can't she???
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #119
Robo

This is an important element:

Some kind of "multiple grouping" would have to come into play at the FP+ kiosks, so that all of the members of a group could get the same FP+ attraction reservations,
and all (each) of the RFID tickets of that group would turn the Mickey head scanner GREEN at the FP entrance.

This could be done in various ways at the kiosks, but it will be a somewhat (!) more complex thing to do... especially with the (anticipated) long lines of guests at each of the FP+ kiosk locations.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #120
rebbyparker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
This is an important idea:

Some kind of "multiple grouping" would have to come into play at the FP+ kiosks, so that all of the members of a group could get the same FP+ attraction reservations,
and all (each) of the RFID tickets of that group would turn the Mickey head scanner GREEN at the FP entrance.

This could be done in various ways at the kiosks, but it will be a somewhat (!) more complex thing to do... especially with the (anticipated) long lines of guests at each of the FP+ kiosk locations.
This only changes the location of the "running of the bulls". Instead of hightailing it over to TSMM or Soaring/TT, everyone's going to be running for the kiosks. I just don't think this can get any worse, I swear.
rebbyparker is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: